Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Weighted Edge Tape

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Weighted Edge Tape
    Posted: 12/15/2015 at 12:04pm
One of my friends that plays with Short and Long Pips has recently discovered how much difference it makes if he adds some weight to his racket. I play with short pips (1.8 mm) on 1 side and inverted on the other side and my total racket weight is usually around 175 grams. He never paid much attention to the weight of his racket, but he always found the faster short pips I play with to play great when he hit with my racket, but then when he bought a sheet and put it on his racket it didn't play as well. It felt too fast. Someone recently mentioned to him it was because his racket was too light. He plays with LPs in Ox on the other side so I brought my digital scale and weighed his racket and found it only weighed a total of 135 - 140 grams! He couldn't believe how much lighter his racket was. So we experimented and I put some of the clips you get with the glue sponges around the top edge of his racket and what do you know, it felt much better to him. I found each of those clips to weigh about 7 gms so I put 4 of them around the top edge of his racket to add 28 gms. I've always found blades that weighed around 85 gms to play well for me, but since he plays with Short pips and long pips Ox his weight has always been too light.
So now he's ordered some lead tape from Dicks Sporting Goods that is 1/4" and adds about 9 gms for 1 strip around the edge of the blade head. Was wondering if anyone else out there has found some good weighted edge tape? I put some rackets together for some players at the club, and I'm betting all the players that have LPs Ox on 1 side are going to have rackets in the 140 gm range, so I will order some of this lead tape to add to their rackets. Butterfly sells weighted tape but each strip only adds 1 gram. Why even bother with such a low weight? If it added about 3 grams per strip then it would be worth it. Anyway just wondering if anyone else has found some weighted edge tape out there.

Thanks

Edited by AcudaDave - 12/15/2015 at 12:06pm
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Sponsored Links

qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2015 at 1:12pm
Many lead and tungsten tape/weight options are sold for golf and tennis.

http://www.golfsmith.com/search?Ntt=lead
(I put some of the swing weights on an old premade to make a weighted blade for practice swings)

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/catpage-HEADTAPE.html

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2015 at 2:36pm
+1 on the golf/Tennis stores for the lead tape. Found the golf store variety is a lot cheaper than the tennis stores. 

One other thing to keep in mind is the racquet balance. Usually if you want to maintain the current balance, you will have to add counter weight to the handle. 

Might want to do some tests using playdough (usually find some in the Dollar Store).
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2015 at 3:59pm
not a bad idea jrscatman. Thanks
khmd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/15/2015 at 5:36pm
http://world.taobao.com/item/45417964942.htm?fromSite=main&spm=a312a.7700824.w4002-12833844556.85.i9TMKA

In China, there is metal edge tape for TT blade but not sure
whether you can find it outside. Some marked Bty though.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2015 at 9:20am
Hmmm...doesn't say how much it weighs. You would think there would be more weighted edge tapes available.
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2015 at 9:37am
It's not easy finding a material that's dense enough to add 30g with a little strip.

I think the current offer is also meant to adjust the balance rather than add weight to the setup.
asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/16/2015 at 10:10am
This is an old trick. Very useful when using chinese rubbers on a hollowed blade.

You can try grip tape all the way on the bottom of the blade where your palms dont reach .

Or you can do bh man custom fill the blade with metal bits.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2015 at 9:29am
I'm using this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160448973084?ul_noapp=true. Each strip is about 6mm in width, which is perfect for most of TT blades.
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2015 at 3:20pm
Thanks for posting Soul.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2015 at 3:28pm
AcudaDave - would you be able post the results of your tests. I'm very interested in the results. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2015 at 4:33pm
I normally am AGAINST adding any weight to the tip end of the bat, but in this case, I would say it is a good idea. With an OX rubber on an average weight blade, there is not enough total mass and also the weight distribution is not heavy enough forward. OX makes a bat 30 grams + lighter and that is too much weight to be giving away to have balance and possible ease of transfer of power.

Normally, I would say add weight to the bottom end (the handle area) and make all the hollow things solid and reinforced. That mod would not benefit the OX user until he added more weight to the tip end. Imagine a bat with OX weighing 190 grams plus. (and well balanced) that is what you would get if you did both mods. (Add weight to tip then the handle area) You would get great feel at impact and possible easy acceleration when doing the whipping action on loops. 
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2015 at 4:35pm
Korean ladies, almost all of them older, like O40/O50 crowd use a bat with OX on BH, but they use a solid/stiff/decently heavy bat around 90 grams+, so when they slap on OX, the balance difference isn't nearly as pronounced with those light 70-80 gram ALL class blades. They usually do not have to do much to their bat, except practice 4 hours a day at the club.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
TTslurp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTslurp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2015 at 4:39pm
To me it seems that edge tape with considerable weight should increase the sweet spot. Any thoughts about that?
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/18/2015 at 5:32pm
I just know that when I play with a tip heavy blade my backhand quality goes ^^^^^ 

I used to hate it, then ended up growing to appreciate it as i got better. I played with Yu Ziyang's racket, and it's the most tip heavy racket I've ever played with by far. It's like it forces me to drop the blade to a better position and really helps my feeling when I accelerate the racket. 

Edit: This was Why I used to love fast paddle edge tape. I'd just put it on a certain section of my racket to make it a bit more tip heavy. 

Edited by beeray1 - 12/18/2015 at 5:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic