FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Gambler Polyblended Balls?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gambler Polyblended Balls?
    Posted: 01/06/2016 at 12:04am
Noticed on ZeroPong that the Gambler Gold/Platinum balls are now "polyblended".
http://www.zeropong.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=323

Direct Quote: "Note these balls are now POLYBLENDED - they have plastic incorporated into the celluloid manufacturing process, and while the bounce is very close to the old ball it is a slight change in order to better mimic the bounce of a tournament polyball. ROBOT USERS: These balls are TRUE 40mm and will not cause ball jams like the 40+ as these balls are still classified as celluloid, and hold true to the 40mm standard."

Has anyone used these yet, and if so, how do they compare as preparation for serious play with the typical Nittaku 3* / XSF balls? Hoping these can be good "plastic" robot balls.
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2016 at 8:50am
huh, so we're talking about the just bagged gambler balls?  The 3*?
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2016 at 8:52am
yeah, I see that.  wonder how long that's been.  I opened a bag of white and did think they seemed a little different, whiter, harder.  

So then the orange is blended?   A step toward plastic orange?

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2016 at 9:58am
Let's hope Tom will give us some more info - he's been known to appear here and do just that once in a while.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2016 at 11:48am
Useful product for ball machines. Still no reasonable poly solutions there. I purchased these a few weeks ago and seem fine. I notice no difference in my machine. I might have noticed a difference while serving practice, tho. However new balls just act a little different from the older balls anyway.

I purchased the white and orange 3 star ones. I find the 2 star fine but the 3 star just handle abuse better, they do feel thicker.

Edited by wilkinru - 01/06/2016 at 11:49am
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
rawrtje View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rawrtje Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2016 at 2:47am
Must've just been a transitional product, cuz looks like they have 100% poly training balls now. Just went up today.

http://www.zeropong.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=331
zeropong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeropong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2016 at 8:10am
Must've just been a transitional product

Spot on! Cell is on the way out and it is expensive to make new productions, we toyed with blended balls but they still have nearly the same bounce and are still rated a hazard. The gambler cell balls were a great product, we needed this last production of them to properly find a good pure poly trainer.

Strangely enough the biggest hurdle is the treatment and care of pure poly balls, anything above 38c or around 100f will pretty much instantly start to damage them (all plastic balls not just ours), also cold below freezing damages the plastic and makes it weak. Seamed balls exposed to high temps get a barbell effect where the sides expand but the seam stays smaller, seamless balls just get bigger and in some cases dent where the balls rest on each other. Our 3 star balls shipped to say NV or AZ in the summer have had instances of expansion when put in the mail box or the customer puts them in the garage. We have always had storage for the 3 star balls however now we must provide dehumidified air conditioned space for containers full of practice balls, also for our "toy" balls as they are plastic as well, fortunately we have this all done and everything is now kept at an ideal temperature and humidity level.
Ringer84 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ringer84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2016 at 9:25am
In a previous thread, there was a conversation about how the Gambler poly balls were too large and difficult to use with a Newgy robot.  I just wanted to mention that I use Gambler polys in my robot all the time without issue. I've had maybe one jam after months of using them.
USATT Rating: 1785
Timo Boll Spirit
FH: Andro Rasant
BH: Baracuda
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2016 at 9:42am
I'm not sure why you would label them transitional when they still have the bags of blended balls.  Does this mean, Tom, that you're going to stop carrying the bagged gambler "blended" balls when stock runs out and just go to plastic and plastic training?

zeropong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeropong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2016 at 9:49am
Cole,

Do we have a choice? The factories are no longer purchasing large quantities of celluloid it is just not going to be cost effective to make cell balls blended or otherwise.

Yes we are regretfully phasing out the cell balls.
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2016 at 10:33am
It's ok.  Just wanted to know the plan.

I think the blended gambler 3* seem a little more solid than the cell ones have been.  Did notice some out of round, but just a couple in a bag.  I was kind of excited about it.

aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2016 at 1:24pm
Has anyone here tried the 40+ poly multi ball pack?
zeropong View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeropong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2016 at 4:18pm
Ringer,

I have never had one of our balls jam our robot due to size, It took me a while to figure out what players were talking about saying the balls were too big, I measured them and they were not. That said, the players that claimed the balls were too large were correct, however this was not poor quality or anything to do with our production values, these were all cases where the balls got baked in the heat. The new 3 stars are actually even smaller now with better tolerances, but I have no doubt if you leave them in your 115F garage in NV you will end up at 41mm.
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/09/2016 at 10:12pm
Well cool. I now have options. 

I've always been a fan of how the gambler 40+ seamless 3 star poly ball plays. Now it's back and the logo looks nice. I didn't mind the last one but this one is also better.

I'm also excited to try the training ball. I still practice at home with celluloid and I'd like to quickly stop that practice. At club I've been exclusively playing with plastic for some time now. My Newgy 540 got jammed in the canal going up with my previous seamless balls I tried. To be fair, they were new. I hear once they get worked in they will run through. Still, I'm be curious to test out these new training balls.

I'm waiting for table tennis robots to come out with new units specifically made for the slightly larger poly balls.

Edited by suds79 - 01/09/2016 at 10:13pm
bluehorseshoe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bluehorseshoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2016 at 12:43pm
Has anyone tried the 

GAMBLER 40+ POLY MULTI & ROBOT BALLS - PACK OF 72?

http://www.zeropong.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=331

I need new balls for the machine, and was contemplating ordering these.  I'd assume they'd fit the Newgy 2050, as everyone has said so.  

http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=68077&PID=823122#823122
ri0t1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ri0t1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/26/2016 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by bluehorseshoe bluehorseshoe wrote:

Has anyone tried the 

GAMBLER 40+ POLY MULTI & ROBOT BALLS - PACK OF 72?

I need new balls for the machine, and was contemplating ordering these.  I'd assume they'd fit the Newgy 2050, as everyone has said so.  

I use these exact same balls for my newgy 2050, order away!
Xiom Europe Vegas|FH Tenergy 05|BH:Tenergy 05FX|
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic