FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Table tennis and your brain

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Pete73 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Table tennis and your brain
    Posted: 01/17/2016 at 10:33pm
Sponsored Links

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2016 at 11:01pm
Interesting, aren't there some academic types on this forum - is this valid claim?
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/17/2016 at 11:16pm
I guess I'm one of the academic types.  In general you can learn to improve any number of tasks in response to training if that training includes feedback that allows you to track performance.  So, I am sure that the players can learn to improve their performance at picking out the visual cues -- on the app

I honestly don't know if it would improve performance in actual play.  It might. 

Or it might help you pick out the cues as to where William Henzel hits the ball but nobody else, and few if any of us will ever get to play William Henzel (sadly). 

I just don't know. 

I think I will try it just to see how it goes.  Even if it doesn't work I like the idea of supporting those guys.

jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2016 at 12:36am
Thanks Baal, but when making a claim like this should there be some controlled and verified studies done. 
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2016 at 12:37am
It's a ping pong forum.  I think we shouldn't take stuff that seriously.  Many things get claimed here that have no data behind it.  The world has not spun off its axis.  Sometimes you can provide the data and people still get upset.  I'm about to go and download it onto my tablet, even though I am actually a bit skeptical that it can work.
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2016 at 5:19am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I honestly don't know if it would improve performance in actual play.  It might...

I just don't know...

Even if it doesn't work I like the idea of supporting those guys.
I love how wonderfully inconsistent I am! In other places I ask to see the science, but here? No way! Just give it to me.

I've downloaded the app and had my first few goes, failing miserably at the slowest speed.   

Regardless of anything else, I know that the thing which is having a major impact on my play is what my coach calls "being hypnotized by the ball" - after I hit the ball I keep watching it rather than looking at my opponent to see what is coming next. At least with this app I can focus on William Henzell to the exclusion of everything else. Maybe (and it's a big maybe) I might just learn to look somewhere useful!
Imago View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imago Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2016 at 6:48am
Wrong address for the Android app on the video...

TT Edge
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2016 at 7:03am
You can pose questions here:

http://ooakforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29232

Edited by NextLevel - 01/18/2016 at 7:32am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Brett Clarke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2016 at 8:33am

It's a ping pong forum.  I think we shouldn't take stuff that seriously.  Many things get claimed here that have no data behind it.  The world has not spun off its axis.  Sometimes you can provide the data and people still get upset.  I'm about to go and download it onto my tablet, even though I am actually a bit skeptical that it can work.

Hey Baal, you never know. It might just be fun to play and this is only phase 1 of the project.
Table Tennis Videos by Brett Clarke
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2016 at 4:11pm
Damn thing really is hard!
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2016 at 4:17pm
There has been research done in related fields. There was a study of pro baseball players where the conclusion was they were very good at anticipating the pitch based on watching the pitchers windup. This is something that hitting coaches teach. For example, a fast ball is thrown differently from a curve ball, so watch for the cues.

The hitters either consciously or subconsciously anticipated the pitch based on cues like arm/elbow position, how the ball is held in the hand, seam orientation, etc.

When the windup was covered up so the hitter could only see the release of the ball from the hand, hitting % dropped dramatically. (I would post the link, but I read it years ago and can't find it)

It should be possible to train people in table tennis to anticipate better just like in other sports.

Another area of exploration is deception. How about when a player can hold off giving cues on which direction they will hit the ball or faking going one way and hitting it another? Phase II?

For example, I was playing in a league team match where in between games I could hear my opponent say to his team "I can't tell where he is hitting".

I would also like to see the app do serves. For example, player serves with the same motion but varying spins. Can you read the spin properly?

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2016 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by qpskfec qpskfec wrote:

I would also like to see the app do serves. For example, player serves with the same motion but varying spins. Can you read the spin properly?
And wouldn't it be awesome to be trying to read the famous WH backhand? Can we have that next, please?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2016 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

And wouldn't it be awesome to be trying to read the famous WH backhand? Can we have that next, please?

Hey Tassie, you might get that sooner than you think! Thanks for the question/feedback. How is my friend EK treating you?

Cheers, Brett
basichabibi View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote basichabibi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/18/2016 at 10:15pm
I have no idea how effective this game translates into real TT, but it's the best mobile TT game I've played. How well is everyone scoring? I'm around 70% with a score of ~40000 on level 3. I can't figure William out!

I would love to have additional players, as well as an option for BH. Serves would also be cool, but I'd imagine hard to implement.
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2016 at 11:55am

Studies have shown table tennis helps improve cognitive function in older adults. As we age there are changes in the brain that effect memory, spatial awareness, reflexes, and problem solving. With regular exercise (table tennis) there is a link between age specific cognitive decline and the benefit of the sport. If there is a physician here they could go into more detail of the physiological process.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/19/2016 at 6:18pm
Originally posted by basichabibi basichabibi wrote:

I have no idea how effective this game translates into real TT, but it's the best mobile TT game I've played. How well is everyone scoring? I'm around 70% with a score of ~40000 on level 3. I can't figure William out!

I would love to have additional players, as well as an option for BH. Serves would also be cool, but I'd imagine hard to implement.

Here is my highest score on Level 4. There is someone out there with a higher score and I haven't had time to beat him...yet.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2016 at 12:11am
my tablet is not registering each time my finger hits the screen......  bummer.  But I am improving. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2016 at 12:49am

my tablet is not registering each time my finger hits the screen......  bummer.  But I am improving. 

Baal, what type of tablet are you using. Are you aware you can only tap once for each shot? The window of opportunity starts from the time the ball leaves you til the time it comes back. The smileys up the top will register your tap. I've played it on a range of devices and haven't had an issue. One other person said they were having an issue on an Android tablet. Is that what you have?
ttTurkey View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttTurkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2016 at 1:05am
Originally posted by Brett Clarke Brett Clarke wrote:

Baal, what type of tablet are you using. Are you aware you can only tap once for each shot? The window of opportunity starts from the time the ball leaves you til the time it comes back. The smileys up the top will register your tap. I've played it on a range of devices and haven't had an issue. One other person said they were having an issue on an Android tablet. Is that what you have?

Cool app!!!

I can't speak for Baal, but I initially also thought that my taps weren't registering although they were. What threw me off is that the fingertip bulls-eyes (for lack of of a better term) don't register any kind of feedback when you tap.

Perhaps that's something for version 2; if the bulls-eyes lit up or changed color (and/or if there was a clicking sound), it would be easier to know that you have successfully tapped.
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2016 at 7:54am
I suck at this game... no wonder I suck at reading the game in real life too haha

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/20/2016 at 8:55am
Originally posted by ttTurkey ttTurkey wrote:

Originally posted by Brett Clarke Brett Clarke wrote:

Cool app!!!

I can't speak for Baal, but I initially also thought that my taps weren't registering although they were. What threw me off is that the fingertip bulls-eyes (for lack of of a better term) don't register any kind of feedback when you tap.

Perhaps that's something for version 2; if the bulls-eyes lit up or changed color (and/or if there was a clicking sound), it would be easier to know that you have successfully tapped.

There is a click sound when you tap. It can be soft if you aren't in a quiet location. We will think about having the buttons light up.

Here's my score's on level 3 and 4. You get more points (bonus) if you click early. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2016 at 5:14am

We are currently submitting an update on both IOS and Android to deal with sensitivity issue people are having on Level 1. The touch sensitivity concerns don't occur at levels 2 and above. For various technical reasons, sensitivity increases with the speed of the levels. Included in the update will be a flash to represent your initial touch.

It's important to be aware that you can't click after the ball is behind you as it will register a selection for the next shot. The window of opportunity starts when the ball leaves you and finishes when the ball comes back. You have to be fast.

Gtbana1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gtbana1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2016 at 2:59pm
On an Android phone and find it is not always registering taps and there is a bug that registers as a tap even if the ball goes on the opposite side.

A good exercise though!!
BTY Viscaria, T05,V>401
BTY Innerforce, T05, T64

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2016 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Gtbana1 Gtbana1 wrote:

On an Android phone and find it is not always registering taps and there is a bug that registers as a tap even if the ball goes on the opposite side.

A good exercise though!!

The update is on it's way so you'll be able to see your taps. There are some other minor fixes.

Lots of people are realizing that they missed the window and their tap is registering for the next shot.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2016 at 6:46pm
I think having a short delay after the ball leaves the screen before you can register the next ball might be a good idea.

Also, I don't know why but the game crashes a lot for me when it's saving settings and sometimes when touching. It happens a lot more at the low levels. I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S4.

Great idea and app though! I'm looking forward to the updates. I think once it gets polished it'll be an amazing app not just for practicing reading the ball, but for anyone.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/21/2016 at 7:13pm
Interesting. I am probably the wrong person to comment but I have been using this app for a while now and I have never never had or crash on either of my Android cell phones. I have sometimes been confused by the responsiveness of keys but over time, got used to what I was trying to do, trusted the meritocracy of the program and never thought about it since. So it is good that I never commented earlier and the input sensitivity issues have been validated. That said, even in its present form, I have found the program immensely useful for my actual game and hope others will find likewise. I think that for most people, the challenges will come from practicing against the lefty at high speeds. That I think will significantly challenge and help moat people based on my personal limited experience. Take such anecdotes with a grain of salt of course.
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/23/2016 at 7:34pm
The first update is available for Android users and it's waiting for approval on IOS. After installing the update, you'll get feedback after you make your selection as a flash will appear. It also helps slightly with some of the sensitivity issues on lower levels. There are no sensitivity issues on level 3>. Just make sure you don't click when the ball is behind you as it will count for the next shot. I watched a beginner play and they clicked when the ball was behind them on every shot.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/31/2016 at 6:39am
The first IOS update is now available and the backhand module will be here soon too.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brett Clarke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/04/2016 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Tassie52 Tassie52 wrote:

Tassie,

The William Henzell backhand module is out on Table Tennis Edge, but only on Android. Just update your current version and it will be there. IOS users will have to wait the standard 5 days for Apple to approve. It's a little painful, but they have their regulations.

William's backhand looks amazing on the app and you'll get a feel for how a world-class shot comes at you. I'm struggling to read it on the higher levels, which is no great surprise.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2016 at 7:34am
That shot is virtually impossible to read in real time. There is aild timing alignment but that is so hard to spot.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic