Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

applying long pips ox

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
TTeveryday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTeveryday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: applying long pips ox
    Posted: 02/02/2016 at 5:46pm
hi everyone, a guy from my club asked me to help him apply long pips with no sponge to his blade. there's this clear sticky film on the backside of the rubber that came with it. am i suppose to take that off? or, can i take that off? do i apply glue just to the blade, and how much glue? any recommendations on how to glue smoothly without wrinkles or bubbles? i have never done this before so any help is appreciated. 

thanks,

a-totally-inverted-playerWink

Edited by TTeveryday - 02/02/2016 at 5:47pm
Sponsored Links

jt99sf View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jt99sf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2016 at 6:36pm
Apply a quarter size amount of glue on the blade. Spread the glue evenly using a credit card, wait for the glue to dry before rolling the rubber onto the blade using a spray can to 'hold' the rubber.
Put some books on the blade overnight and you're done.
Photino/Super Viscaria : H3 (FH)/Dr N pips(BH)

林德成 HardBat:Hock 3-Ply /Dr Evil
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2016 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by TTeveryday TTeveryday wrote:

hi everyone, a guy from my club asked me to help him apply long pips with no sponge to his blade. there's this clear sticky film on the backside of the rubber that came with it. am i suppose to take that off? or, can i take that off? do i apply glue just to the blade, and how much glue? any recommendations on how to glue smoothly without wrinkles or bubbles? i have never done this before so any help is appreciated. 

thanks,

Go to the general category and look up Long Pips, with and without sponge.  There are 3 or 4 suggestions and ways to do it.
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2016 at 7:24pm
If the rubber comes with a glue sheet attached to it you have two options. You can stick the rubber to the blade just with the glue; that's a good option if you don't plan to change the rubber. If you just want to test the rubber and you might plan to put it on different blades as well apply some glue (water based or rubber cement) to the blade as well as the glue sheet. Then it will be easy to remove the rubber without damaging the glue sheet.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2016 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

If the rubber comes with a glue sheet attached to it you have two options. You can stick the rubber to the blade just with the glue; that's a good option if you don't plan to change the rubber. If you just want to test the rubber and you might plan to put it on different blades as well apply some glue (water based or rubber cement) to the blade as well as the glue sheet. Then it will be easy to remove the rubber without damaging the glue sheet.

That assumes that the glue will come off the glue layer... but the SSF rule would tell me that it might, in fact, be difficult to do...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2016 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

That assumes that the glue will come off the glue layer... but the SSF rule would tell me that it might, in fact, be difficult to do...

I was not assuming anything here, I was telling the OP how I do it and how it works for me.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
viva View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote viva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/02/2016 at 11:21pm

thanks,

Here you go:

http://tabletennis-reviews.com/gluing-a-long-pimple-rubber-without-sponge-a-novel-new-way/
My trade feedback here:
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=40170&title=viva-buy-sell-feedback
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2016 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by viva viva wrote:

thanks,

Here you go:

http://tabletennis-reviews.com/gluing-a-long-pimple-rubber-without-sponge-a-novel-new-way/
I hear a similar idea from my club-mate. He uses an adhesive rubber protector instead of a glue sheet.
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
firetack View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote firetack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2016 at 2:55pm
If its got a glue sheet already you can stick it straight onto the blade ,wwipe the blade to clear any dust or grit,Matts idea is a good one if you've got trubber cement and can stop splintering when lifting the rubber off which can occur with some glue sheets on some blades
Black Balsa 3.0 fh/tenergy 05 1.9 388d ox

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2016 at 9:05pm

End all the confusion, read the instructions that came with the package or call your seller.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/05/2016 at 3:23pm
I always take the glue sheet off the rubber if it comes with a glue sheet.. I hate those.. First of all, I don't like the feel with glue sheets and another issue is that I do NOT like to seal my blades as it changes blade properties.. If you use glue sheets and then want to remove the rubber, the glue sheet will take lots of wood grains with it.. 
A while back, I used to use Yasaka Mizunori glue which was perfect for OX rubbers. You only needed to apply a very thin coat to the blade and the rubber would stick perfectly.. Only down side was that if you applied to much, the pips would tear apart when trying to remove them..
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
notfound123 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notfound123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2016 at 12:03am
I tried the new wax paper method and...omg.. It is amazing. Took 30 seconds max and the end result looks outstanding w/o any visible imperfections. I used dhs 15 glue, 1 layer on each surface.
pongmaster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pongmaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/09/2016 at 12:30pm
what is the wax paper method?
Blade: BTY Matsush*ta Pro Special Arylate Carbon

FH:H3

BH:Spectol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic