Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Europe Top 16

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Europe Top 16
    Posted: 02/06/2016 at 10:57am
Quarterfinals on Laola1.tv:
http://www.laola1.tv/de-at/livestream/2016-02-06-ittf-europe-top-16-cup-table-1

Monteiro vs Samsonov
Apolonia vs Ovtcharov

In Portugal. Top 3 qualify for World Cup.

Edited by amateur - 02/06/2016 at 11:01am
Sponsored Links

rui pedro81 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rui pedro81 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 11:15am
joao monteiro leading 3-0 against samsonov, lets go joao!
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 11:24am
Monteiro defeated Samsonov 4-0. Wow... that was a bit unexpected, I'd say.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
spec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 12:01pm
Oddity of the tournament: In the quarter final match between Shibaev and Steger, the umpire faulted roughly 20 (twenty!) serves of Shibaev, but Shibaev still won 4:3.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by spec spec wrote:

Oddity of the tournament: In the quarter final match between Shibaev and Steger, the umpire faulted roughly 20 (twenty!) serves of Shibaev, but Shibaev still won 4:3.

Twenty? I thought it was about 7 or 8...

It was amazing to me that Shibaev didn't change the type of his serves, nor made a conscious effort to make them more palatable. Or perhaps he though he did...

JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 12:32pm
When I watch a match like Monteiro - Samsonov, I kinda cringe and ask why Vladi doesn't retire, but then I recall his German Open performance from just a week ago. My guess is that he was just tired - and indeed one week to do two major tournaments is simply not good for a 40-yr old athlete.

I guess it means he will not be eligible to play World Cup this year which is a damn shame. He is still one of just a handful of players capable of putting up some real challenge against CNT.

spec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Twenty? I thought it was about 7 or 8...

It was amazing to me that Shibaev didn't change the type of his serves, nor made a conscious effort to make them more palatable. Or perhaps he though he did...

Definitely more than 15, my guess would be approx. 20 of them. The full video on demand will surely be available at laola1 soon, if anyone is interested in counting them. It was a shocking thing to watch. Shibaev even flipped the umpire off at some point and received the red card for it.

edit:
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

When I watch a match like Monteiro - Samsonov, I kinda cringe and ask why Vladi doesn't retire, but then I recall his German Open performance from just a week ago. My guess is that he was just tired - and indeed one week to do two major tournaments is simply not good for a 40-yr old athlete.

I guess it means he will not be eligible to play World Cup this year which is a damn shame. He is still one of just a handful of players capable of putting up some real challenge against CNT.

I would say Samsonov played pretty good. Remember that Monteiro also beat Ovtcharov yesterday, who's playing an excellent tournament so far.

I don't think this means much concerning the World Cup. As far as I know, only the winner of the tournament will be qualified for the World Cup. There will be more opportunities to qualify.

Edited by spec - 02/06/2016 at 12:46pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 2:14pm
In recent times, the top 3 have qualified ans sometimes more. It all depends on the criteria.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 2:29pm

Edited by zeio - 02/06/2016 at 2:30pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
spec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 2:49pm

Definitely more than 15, my guess would be approx. 20 of them. The full video on demand will surely be available at laola1 soon, if anyone is interested in counting them.

It turns out I was off by a bit. I just counted them (I hope I didn't miss any) and there were:

14 faults in total.

Per game:
3 in game 1
1 in game 2
4 in game 3
1 in game 4
3 in game 5
1 in game 6
1 in game 7

The overall pattern is clear: More serves were faulted in odd games than in even games. That's obviously because the umpire who faulted his serves was sitting on the right hand side and could see his serves better during the odd games, when Shibaev was facing her while serving.

The other umpire, sitting to the left hand side of the table, didn't fault a single serve.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 3:18pm
Haha, Steger is like "this guy is tossing the ball across half the table from the sideline to the centerline, for fuks sake."
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
AgReZz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgReZz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 3:20pm
Lol image if Freitas got his serve faulted 14 times. He would go completely insane calling refs numerous times and stopping playing.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by RG_Long_Island RG_Long_Island wrote:

ive watched up to 1-1 so far and there have been a bunch of faults lol Shibaev doesnt seem to understand how far sideways he is tossing the ball. He often starts farther than the middle line and makes contact all the way back at his corner. I think tables are 5 feet wide so the ball is traveling sometimes more than 2 and a half feet sideways!!!

http://www.laola1.tv/de-at/video/shibaev-alexander-steger-bastian

Ball moving 2.5 feet sideways doesn't necessarily mean the toss was illegal. Basically, umpires are  told to watch for the angle of the toss and if it's close to or less than 45 degrees then they should definitely fault the serve. So if it goes vertically, say, 7 feet, and 2.5 feet horizontally then the toss should be considered perfectly legal.

However, Shibaev's toss is usually not very high...

zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 3:43pm
"No one has faulted me."  - Marcos Freitas with a straight face

I feel bad for the referee.  How do I get myself out of this sh!7?  It is like that Dr Phil show wherein the wife recounts the infidelity of the husband.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Hautamaeki View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hautamaeki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 6:38pm
I was there watching the games, Shibaev was foulted because he was not throwning the ball up enough and with the ball travelling into his body.

Fair enough

BUT...what about Fegerl, it's ridiculous the amount of serves he hides with the hand, arm, body, throwing ball to the body, incredible... live is even more noticeable.

Edited by Hautamaeki - 02/06/2016 at 6:39pm
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2016 at 1:01pm

Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2016 at 1:43pm
Shibaev must be on something very rough Big smile
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2016 at 1:46pm
By the way, watching the final, it occurs to me that all of Monteiro's serves are illegal too. Wonderful upward toss and the ball is clearly visible until the moment where he contacts it as it is all covered with his elbow. / lower arm.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2016 at 1:59pm
I have asked many times the same question: WHO is serving LEGAL today ?
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2016 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

Shibaev must be on something very rough Big smile

Big smile Big smile Big smile

Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2016 at 2:35pm
A good one with the jersey, thanks Big smile
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2016 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by kolevtt kolevtt wrote:

BOLL. SAMSONOV.
Cybershape Carbon
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2016 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

BOLL. SAMSONOV.

Good examples. To me, Samsonov serves perfectly.
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2016 at 5:32pm
Ovtcharov's serves are legal too.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 2:33am
Originally posted by vvk1 vvk1 wrote:

Ovtcharov's serves are legal too.

Ovtcharov's arm placement on his FH pendulum serves can be sketchy.
Cybershape Carbon
spec View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 4:56am
Originally posted by chroot chroot wrote:

BOLL. SAMSONOV.

Good examples. To me, Samsonov serves perfectly.

Sadly, this isn't true anymore. 

He has a new serve which is clearly illegal. See below.

And yep, that's how he won his game against Ma Long during the German Open. With an illegal serve. It's a sad state of affairs.

Edited by spec - 02/08/2016 at 4:57am
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 6:15am
I agree. Somehow all of the players have become desperate about gaining control right from the start and even those who had a clean serve before have started to throw in hidden serves, some more often than others. Unfortunately Samsonov too.
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 6:20am

BOLL. SAMSONOV.

Sorry for misunderstanding, Next Level!
I just asked who among the forum members is serving legal, because it is well accepted Pro's are not... Big smile
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 7:05am
I do
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/08/2016 at 7:37am
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

I agree. Somehow all of the players have become desperate about gaining control right from the start and even those who had a clean serve before have started to throw in hidden serves, some more often than others. Unfortunately Samsonov too.

Samsonov has always had that serve and I tell people all the time that the basic pendulum serve is a dubious serve especially when the toss is high as the traditional body orientation is designed to hide the serve.

I think Samsonov tends to use that serve when he is tired of dealing with someone whose serve isn't being called. That said, I can imagine the receiver having a better view of that serve than the camera shows. That is my experience.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic