Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Maximum allowed sponge thickness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
sonya_weson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonya_weson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Maximum allowed sponge thickness
    Posted: 02/06/2016 at 11:47am
Just curious I am new to this
What is the maximum allowed sponge thickness ?

A side of the blade used for striking the ball shall be covered with either ordinary pimpled rubber, with pimples outwards having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 2.0mm, or sandwich rubber, with pimples inwards or outwards, having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 4.0mm

Soooooooooo if I have the top sheet thickness of 1 mm (including pip length....... yes a very thin top sheet)  can I then use a 3 mm thick sponge ?   Because I remember being in the rules or someone saying that the maximum sponge thickness allowed is only 2.5 mm 

Also what is with these dual layer sponge rubbers ?  Are they legal?

Sponsored Links

igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 6:37pm
    PERHAPS,   2.6mm is the deadline to be never overpassed.

A while ago, ITTF circulated an official directive to all the rubber manufactures regarding the best acceptable physical limits of the rubber thikness..
ITTF did advice that the maximum of rubber thikness "in the clear", without protective sheet, should not exceed 3.85 mm.

The thickest sponge layer I ever beheld to my own eyes was about 2.6 mm thick, the sponge included to a Tibhar rubber whoes name got out of my memory by now..

Edited by igorponger - 02/06/2016 at 6:56pm
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 6:46pm
Tibhar Maxxx :)))) I played these rubbers on my Werner Schlager OFF blade in 2004 :)))
It was a real fun during this time.
What an irony, now I am looking sponges to be limited up to 1.5/ 1.6mm only because of many reasons posted in another topic.
Renol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/06/2016 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by sonya_weson sonya_weson wrote:

Just curious I am new to this
What is the maximum allowed sponge thickness ?

A side of the blade used for striking the ball shall be covered with either ordinary pimpled rubber, with pimples outwards having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 2.0mm, or sandwich rubber, with pimples inwards or outwards, having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 4.0mm

Soooooooooo if I have the top sheet thickness of 1 mm (including pip length....... yes a very thin top sheet)  can I then use a 3 mm thick sponge ?   Because I remember being in the rules or someone saying that the maximum sponge thickness allowed is only 2.5 mm 

Also what is with these dual layer sponge rubbers ?  Are they legal?

Based on the Laws of Table Tennis as follows:

2.4.3 A side of the blade used for striking the ball shall be covered with either ordinary pimpled  rubber, with  pimples  outwards  having  a  total  thickness  including adhesive of not more than 2.0mm, or sandwich rubber, with pimples inwards or outwards, having a total thickness including adhesive of not more than 4.0mm.

2.4.3.2 Sandwich rubber is a single layer of cellular rubber covered with a single outer layer of ordinary pimpled rubber, the thickness of the pimpled rubber not being more than 2.0mm.

It did not mention about the thickness of the adhesive or sponge.
Blade: DHS Long 5
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Provincial)
BH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Provincial)
sonya_weson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sonya_weson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2016 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Renol Renol wrote:

[QUOTE=sonya_weson]Just curious I am new to this

It did not mention about the thickness of the adhesive or sponge.

I KNOW that and that is what prompted me to ask this question in the first place.

That said and then assuming 2.9mm sponge thickness is indeed legal, why haven't some
crazy manufacturer come up with a novelty rubber with a thin top sheet and at leat say 2.7mm
sponge (if making superthin top sheet was hard) if not 2.9 mm''

Should this not be done now  (should hve been done when 40mm ball was backdoored in in 2000) to speed up the sport back to 38 mm days ,  is that is not what majority of tabletennis players want ?  LOL  More and more speed and 3rd ball attacks to exterminate spectators (if any exists other than players themselves)  from the sport ?
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/07/2016 at 7:01pm
Why not have a 4mm sponge and no top sheet 
and a 36mm ball
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic