Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Please help with my services

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Please help with my services
    Posted: 02/12/2016 at 7:14pm
On a rare night that my club is empty, I took the chance to record the video of myself practicing serving. After watching the clips, I realized that my services are either too long or too high and I would really appreciate if you guys can give me some pointers on how to fix my services. Thanks.

Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2016 at 7:48pm
Take more risks with letting the ball drop more before contacting it.  Try to spend more time between serves and visualize the trajectory you want the ball to take.  Put targets on the table for the first bounce.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2016 at 8:25pm
Don't need fixed.  I agree ball could drop lower.  Also agree that you could take more time and ready yourself between serves.  You do what I tend do when practicing serves which is relax after the serve instead of envisioning a nasty return and getting quickly back into ready position in the service motion.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2016 at 8:52pm
the serve seems fine to me;  just wonder did people call illegal serve on your before?
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2016 at 9:00pm
Thank you all for the advice. I'll try again tomorrow to see if I can make any adjustments.
@Egghead: I haven't been called for illegal services. Why did you ask about that? Is that my palm that cover the ball? I was just too lazy to do proper throw...
Viscaria FL
-------
My feedback
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2016 at 9:53pm
I didn´t see any service second-bouncing on the line. This is the service you should try to practice.
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2016 at 10:01pm
Your serves are good, but could be better.  I would change two things. 

1.  All of your serves have side spin on them.  The more side on the ball the less underspin.  It would be good to have the option having more underspin or more sidespin.  Try to flatten your blade more for pure underspin.  It's more difficult than it seems.

2.  Move your body quickly forward when contacting the ball.  It will give you more spin.

edit
I didn't see TTNewbee's post until after I gave my advice, but he made a good point.

Edited by mts388 - 02/12/2016 at 11:39pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2016 at 10:26pm
Thank you all for the advice again. I used to do pure underspin services only and most of the time it is just too easy to be flicked with the BH over table. By adding side spin I think I have more space to add varieties to the spin. I will definitely try to do more down the line serves tomorrow.
Viscaria FL
-------
My feedback
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2016 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by The soul of rock The soul of rock wrote:

Thank you all for the advice again. I used to do pure underspin services only and most of the time it is just too easy to be flicked with the BH over table. By adding side spin I think I have more space to add varieties to the spin. I will definitely try to do more down the line serves tomorrow.

Pure underspin doesn't have to be down the line.  I get my best results going between their backhand and forehand.   By doing that you're adding another decision they have to make to their receiving process.
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/12/2016 at 11:22pm
Serves. not services. 

Or do you offer any services?
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 12:29am

Pure under spin is fine; you just need to apply varieties under spin  (from no under spin to heavy heavy under spin) at a match with varieties landing points. Then, you apply long serve once in a while LOL

Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 2:47am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

Serves. not services. 

Service is the noun form of serve, actually. Or at least that's what ITTF use for the action of serving
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/hb.asp?FormName=Search&FormAction=search&s_Description=Service&last_update=
Viscaria FL
-------
My feedback
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 5:47am
your serves seem fine, maybe over watching, and too many faults
sometimes ill only focus on where the ball lands on my side of the table as that's the key to what happens next.
 I sometimes to move my feet slightly to change angles, and latter learn some kickers and no spin as to add variety 
 I think Next level said to let the ball drop a bit more, try some of those with only sidespin

Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
Believer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Believer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 7:24am
Your serve in general is fine like many have said. What I would suggest you to do is working on the location of the serve and varieties (no spin, heavy spin, short and long, etc). Remember, if you can win a point on serve, your opponent is not at your level anyway. So your serve is simply set up your next shot. So you can practice with it by moving your body as if you are attacking the serve return to complete the serve practice. Serving the ball is important, but visualizing what you do after the serve is just as important. Hope this helps.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 7:59am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Take more risks with letting the ball drop more before contacting it.  Try to spend more time between serves and visualize the trajectory you want the ball to take.  Put targets on the table for the first bounce.

The way my coach would put it is get lower and contact the ball at your chest height closer to the height of the net.  Your stance while practicing is not a good one for serving or recovery.  But since I have bad knees, he gives me a pass.  He wouldn't give you one.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 10:08am
You have good advice so far.

Good things:  Your serves don't stink!  You get decent spin and I don't see any huge problems.

But there are some problems or issues that need to be addressed:

1) Your contact height varies too much, and is almost always too high.  As others have said, learn to contact the ball lower to help control the service height and avoid high serves.

2) Rushing!  This too has been mentioned, and is super common.  I strongly advise taking ONE ball, getting set and visualizing your serve, executing a perfect toss, serve (with 100% focus), then MOVE INTO A READY POSITION.  For every ball!

3) The last part "Moving into Position" will depend a bit on what serve you do, your game, and on what your (imaginary!) opponent likes to do.  Part of this process is re-gripping if you use a pinch grip or other special service grip.

4) Focus on the depth of your first bounce.  This, along with the adjustment in contact point, will really help your consistency.  

5) Try to get the second bounce on your opponent's side to either be VERY short (as a variation) or very close to the end line.

6) Again as others have said, vary your service locations - using targets is a good way to do this.  Sheets of paper, or partial sheets can be placed on opposite side of the table, then try to have the second bounce on the far side land on the paper.

Good Luck!
bes

Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 11:14am

Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

Serves. not services. 

Service is the noun form of serve, actually. Or at least that's what ITTF use for the action of serving
http://www.ittf.com/ittf_handbook/hb.asp?FormName=Search&FormAction=search&s_Description=Service&last_update=
You have a strong defense here.. Looks like I was wrong..  I don't know why it sounds so wrong to me.. 
But I guess i have to take that back.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 11:25am
Sorry, unrelated to the serve. I think everyone has already given heaps of good advice.

If you watch some tennis you'll hear them say "service" a lot. "Net, first service"

Doesn't sound weird to me at all, though I generally only hear it in more formal settings.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 5:27am
the most deceptive servers to me have heavy and low spin variations a particular serve, and they make them both look really really similar. Also, heavy short side under and heavy short top(mainly the corkscrew serves) can also be disguised to look similar. But yeah, it only looks deceptive when you get yua serves reallly low and get a fine smooth contact (which you seem to get, but not consistently).
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic