Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

43 old Schlager wins Energis Masters

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Pushblocker View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 43 old Schlager wins Energis Masters
    Posted: 02/13/2016 at 5:06pm
... with semi final win over Ovtcharov and final win over Weixing Chen...

Here is his win over Ovtcharov..

Edited by Pushblocker - 02/13/2016 at 5:07pm
2010 Florida State Champion

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Sponsored Links

AgReZz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AgReZz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 8:36pm
lol he beat Ovtcharov? That is just sad. What else to say....
Mdman View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mdman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 8:41pm
Schlager is a very very special player , very dangerous serves ! 🏆🏆🏆👍👍👍💯💯💯
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 8:48pm
On the other hand I don't find him old at age of 43. Great fit and power
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
heplayslikearobot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heplayslikearobot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 9:20pm
Well... Wow.
Sent from my iPhone
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 9:50pm

Another scary thing, he plays on the Legends Tour and loses there sometimes to players older than him.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by AgReZz AgReZz wrote:

lol he beat Ovtcharov? That is just sad. What else to say....

Ovtcharov didn't receive any of those serves (esp the high toss FH pendulum) well, he had no chance to even go to the rally stage of the game at an even footing.
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 11:02pm
Wonder if Dima found something is not right with his rubbers. He kept flipping between Red and Black for FH and BH. Rarely saw anyone do that in a match.  
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/13/2016 at 11:27pm
Pushblocker, Thank you for this great video. I JUST LOVED THIS MATCH. 
Great anticipation, Werner!
This match proves ones again that in our sport it is very important what you have in between your ears. Probably papa Jorg wasn't there, too... and lumberjacky Dima loses it again. 
Another fact is that serve and serve receive are so very important in TT. 
It was really nice to see.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 12:01am
I don't even understand how this is possible. And knowing Ovtcharov... he is like Ma Long and not like ZJK - he has no mercy and will not dump a match. I don't know which is stronger - the amazing result of Schlager or poor result of Dima. 
pgpg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgpg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

I don't even understand how this is possible. And knowing Ovtcharov... he is like Ma Long and not like ZJK - he has no mercy and will not dump a match. I don't know which is stronger - the amazing result of Schlager or poor result of Dima. 

That was my first reaction as well - I did not even know Schalger was still competing...
USATT: ~1810
Butterfly Defense Alpha ST - H3 Neo - Cloud&Fog OX
Knuckle Ball View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Knuckle Ball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 2:10am
I totally enjoyed the video. I forgot how good a player Schlager is. I loved it when he knew he had the game in the bag and playfully called for a timeout ha ha ha. Prolonged the agony of Dimi. Reminded us how deadly the Schlager serves are. Ovtcharov couln't figure out the serves. Schlager is a class act at his age.

Thank you Pushblocker for posting. And I remember Schlager is your friend and I saw your video when you played against him in your garage? or was that someone else, I definitely remember it was you with your BH pips
Blade: Rosewood NCT V
FH: Dignics 05 Black
BH: Moristo SP Red
Liquid Sky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquid Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 7:44am

If you have a look at that game of the same tournament then you might get an idea how it is possible that Schlager could beat Ovtcharov.

Nebula Custom Blades - Antique Wood
XIOM - Vega Pro (2,0 mm)
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 8:59am
Yes that was me. I went to school with Werner and we are friends..

Dr. Neubauer Firewall Plus Blade with DHS G666 1.5mm on forehand Giant Dragon Talon National Team OX on backhand
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 9:09am
Originally posted by Liquid Sky Liquid Sky wrote:

If you have a look at that game of the same tournament then you might get an idea how it is possible that Schlager could beat Ovtcharov.

in earlier matches, there was some exhibition style matches but this was a real tournament about real money.. Schlager got 3000 euro for winning the tournament. I don't think that Dima didn't want that money..

Edited by Pushblocker - 02/14/2016 at 9:26am

tt-panopticum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt-panopticum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 9:20am
Not that I'd want to diminish Schlagers success during this tournament....
Traditionally this is a Donic Tournament - more a nice PR show. Traditionally all the Donic sponsored players play with Donic rubbers during this special event - although in recent times most of them play Tenergy when it get's serious. 
Looking at Dima's behaviour during this match, I'd not be surprised that's  been a problem in that case....looks to me than more some sort of anti-pr
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 9:24am
Originally posted by tt-panopticum tt-panopticum wrote:

Not that I'd want to diminish Schlagers success during this tournament....
Traditionally this is a Donic Tournament - more a nice PR show. Traditionally all the Donic sponsored players play with Donic rubbers during this special event - although in recent times most of them play Tenergy when it get's serious. 
Looking at Dima's behaviour during this match, I'd not be surprised that's  been a problem in that case....looks to me than more some sort of anti-pr
but, on the other handWink, equipment does not matter that much, technique is much more important...
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 9:31am
Final from a previous year.. when it comes down to winning the tournament, it is being played serious.. Last year, it was Boll vs. Dima in the final..

Edited by Pushblocker - 02/14/2016 at 9:32am

tt-panopticum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tt-panopticum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 9:34am

Originally posted by JacekGM JacekGM wrote:

but, on the other handWink, equipment does not matter that much, technique is much more important...

Wink that's true - but it's sometimes hard to use your trained technique with some completely different equipment.
Liquid Sky View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liquid Sky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Pushblocker Pushblocker wrote:

in earlier matches, there was some exhibition style matches but this was a real tournament about real money.. Schlager got 3000 euro for winning the tournament. I don't think that Dima didn't want that money..

So tell me, which scenario is more likely:

1) Schlager gave Ovtcharov a tough game and deserved to win. But Ovtcharov was not fully motivated since this is only a fun tournament that he plays mainly for his sponsor. And although he did not get the 3k I am absolutely sure he earned enough that day.

2) Although Werner is 43 and is not practicing like a pro anymore, he can still easily perform on top 5 level and beat number 4 in the world ("lumberjacky Dima") who performed of course at 100%.

However, I am more a fan of Werner than of Dima but I don't think No 2 is realistic.
Nebula Custom Blades - Antique Wood
XIOM - Vega Pro (2,0 mm)
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 2:55pm

1) Schlager gave Ovtcharov a tough game and deserved to win. But Ovtcharov was not fully motivated since this is only a fun tournament that he plays mainly for his sponsor. And although he did not get the 3k I am absolutely sure he earned enough that day.

2) Although Werner is 43 and is not practicing like a pro anymore, he can still easily perform on top 5 level and beat number 4 in the world ("lumberjacky Dima") who performed of course at 100%.

However, I am more a fan of Werner than of Dima but I don't think No 2 is realistic.
...or 
(3) Even though Ovtcharov very much wanted to win, and tried his best on that day, unfortunately with this particular equipment he was unable to. I think that makes sense, right? BTW No. 4 in the world would be a tough spot to maintain if you got all the best Chinese guys to compete for it (like about twenty of them). 
Werner managed to stand on the highest step one day, Dima has not...

Edited by JacekGM - 02/14/2016 at 6:43pm
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 2:57pm
A victory does not need explaining.
vvk1 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vvk1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 6:30pm
Pushblocker - thank you for posting this video and reminding us how awesome Schlager's game is.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 7:21pm

I don't think that Werner can consistently play at that level but he certainly still can play at that level at times. Don't forget that Dima beat Boll in the previous year at the same tournament. Table Tennis is not like Tennis where all the stars are Millionaires. $3500 is not a huge amount for them but it is not pocket change either. I'm certain that both gave their best as at no point in the game they were putting on a show... I don't know if Dima had a good day, potentially not and I have no idea on if he used different equipment than he usually uses.. If at that event he has to play different equipment than he usually uses, then why did he beat Boll at the same event in the previous year?
There is also somewhat of a rivlary between Austria and Germany. It would be rare that a German would let himself get beat by a Austrian..

Edited by Pushblocker - 02/14/2016 at 7:48pm

beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 10:24pm
Schlager is indeed a very special player. Especially his service. But like mentioned earlier, he's so efficient in the way he moves. He looks stiff, but really he's so smooth in everything. He's a very practical and smart player. His WTTC victory years back wasn't a fluke. He also still has a top level inside of him from time to time I think, because of his style and approach. Of course this is not his usual level these days. But he can still dig it up. 

Dima can lose to schlager for the same reason he can lose to Ma Long- the first few balls. The chinese admired and revered Schlager's service/return game, while they walk all over Dima's. Dima is so good in open play, but his level fluctuates the past few years since the plastic ball. Schlager on a good day and Dima on an off one in a serious match in my opinion can for sure still see schlager win here and there, even though he's well past his prime and Dima is currently in his. 

Dima doesn't have the 'something special' that Schlager, Waldner, Boll etc. had (my opinion). Not to take away from him, he's an outstanding player. 

Edited by beeray1 - 02/14/2016 at 10:24pm
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/14/2016 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

Schlager is indeed a very special player. Especially his service. But like mentioned earlier, he's so efficient in the way he moves. He looks stiff, but really he's so smooth in everything. He's a very practical and smart player. His WTTC victory years back wasn't a fluke. He also still has a top level inside of him from time to time I think, because of his style and approach. Of course this is not his usual level these days. But he can still dig it up. 

Dima can lose to schlager for the same reason he can lose to Ma Long- the first few balls. The chinese admired and revered Schlager's service/return game, while they walk all over Dima's. Dima is so good in open play, but his level fluctuates the past few years since the plastic ball. Schlager on a good day and Dima on an off one in a serious match in my opinion can for sure still see schlager win here and there, even though he's well past his prime and Dima is currently in his. 

Dima doesn't have the 'something special' that Schlager, Waldner, Boll etc. had (my opinion). Not to take away from him, he's an outstanding player. 
Dima is a great player and sportsman.. I had the chance to talk a little with him at the 2013 LA Open.. Seems like a super nice guy. He also brought a new dimension to tomahawk seves. I personally enjoy to watch Dima play. 
Werner's life at the WSA is all about table tennis.. While he is not competing at ITTF events anymore, he is still playing a lot of TT. His experience and style is enough to still beat top players, especially if they are not having a good day. I have no doubt that Dima wanted to win the match..

Edited by Pushblocker - 02/14/2016 at 11:44pm

sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2016 at 8:58am
As others have pointed out, Dima lost simply because he couldn't read Schlager's serve. Schlager got Dima pushing passively instead of Dima using his banana. He also fooled Dima into popping up balls. On the flipside, Schlager could read Dima's serves and often took them early. 

On the rallies, note how often Dima was out of the picture. Schlager often took the ball earlier had Dima diving around to cover the table. 

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushblocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2016 at 9:06am
Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

As others have pointed out, Dima lost simply because he couldn't read Schlager's serve. Schlager got Dima pushing passively instead of Dima using his banana. He also fooled Dima into popping up balls. On the flipside, Schlager could read Dima's serves and often took them early. 

On the rallies, note how often Dima was out of the picture. Schlager often took the ball earlier had Dima diving around to cover the table. 

I agree.. The match was mostly about serve and service return. Schlager also seems to be very comfortable with the poly ball unlike Dima. I think that the Poly ball was not good for his game..

BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2016 at 12:02pm
Great win by Werner! But let's not get too excited.  His movement, especially on the wide forehand side was quite slow and using mostly blocks against topspin.  Also, they were definitely not on exhibition mode but they both seemed pretty relaxed.  Schlager does in fact have some awesome serves.  However, maybe PB can ask him why he does not use this serve anymore?

He seems to use more serves where his hand is already wrapped around the handle like in the beginning of the video. 

Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/16/2016 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by BeaverMD BeaverMD wrote:

Great win by Werner! But let's not get too excited.  His movement, especially on the wide forehand side was quite slow and using mostly blocks against topspin.  Also, they were definitely not on exhibition mode but they both seemed pretty relaxed.  Schlager does in fact have some awesome serves.  However, maybe PB can ask him why he does not use this serve anymore?

He seems to use more serves where his hand is already wrapped around the handle like in the beginning of the video. 

I believe this is one of the best serve tips from Werner LOLLOLLOL

Edited by Egghead - 02/16/2016 at 12:46pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic