Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Gewo Nanoflex/Hype testing and giveaway - CLOSED
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Gewo Nanoflex/Hype testing and giveaway - CLOSED

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gewo Nanoflex/Hype testing and giveaway - CLOSED
    Posted: 02/16/2016 at 12:37pm

A couple of months ago, Tabletennis11.com sent me a sheet of Gewo’s Nanoflex FT48 to use in forum testing. I was very impressed by its playing characteristics (review), and intrigued because I hadn’t heard of this brand prior to the test. After reading up a little bit, I found that Gewo has two high-end series, the Nanoflex and the Hype series. Tabletennis11.com has been gracious enough to forward all sheets from both series for forum testing. You only need to pay for the postage (in order to send the rubber to the next tester on the list). All of the rubbers are available in 2.1 mm thickness but come in different colors.

Black rubbers: Nanoflex 40, Hype 47.5, and Hype 42.5.

Red rubbers: Nanoflex 45 and Hype 40.

Incidentally, pingpongdepot.com sent me two sheets from the Hype series (47.5 2.1 mm red & 42.5 2.1 mm black). I have made the executive decision to award these rubbers to the two best reviews.

Please send me a PM if you are interested in testing any of these rubbers. This test will be restricted to US- and Canada-based members to minimize costs and mailing delays. Mailing lists are posted below.

Conditions for testing: 1) post an honest a review on this thread within a week of receiving the test rubbers, including a brief description of your playing style, regular setup and (estimated) USATT rating to provide contextual background for your review; specify the rubber that you are testing as a headline in bold font, 2) keep your testing below 2.5 hours in order to allow as many forum members as possible to test the rubbers in near-new conditions, 3) you shall not boost the rubbers, 4) use only easily-removable non-VOC glue to attach the rubbers (i.e., no vulcanization liquid, speed glue, or Elmer’s rubber cement, 5) after complete testing, please wrap the rubbers using stretch-tite or plastic wrap to preserve the quality of the top sheet, and send it to the next person on the list (or to me, if you were the last one on the list).

Thank you to tabletennis11.com for once again supporting this forum and making these rubbers available to us. A shout-out to pingpongdepot.com as well. 

LIST OF TESTERS

Nanoflex FT 45

patrickhrdlicka – done

ndotson - done

slevin - done

bptse - done

<<<TEST OF RUBBER HAS CONCLUDED>>>

Nanoflex FT 40

patrickhrdlicka – done

bptse - done

ndotson - done 

Hype EL Pro 47.5

patrickhrdlicka – done

ndotson - done

slevin - done

Hype EL Pro 42.5

patrickhrdlicka – done

ndotson  done

bptse  done

Hype EL Pro 40

patrickhrdlicka – done

ndotson  done 

bptse  done

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 05/08/2016 at 11:12pm
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
Sponsored Links

ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/19/2016 at 10:58am
Thanks for arranging this patrickhrdlicka! I really liked the Nanoflex48, so I'm looking forward to trying the others out.
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2016 at 3:07am
Review: Hype EL Pro series.

Marketing: Gewo describes the Hype EL Pro series in the following manner: “This "Made in Germany" high-tech product meets all the criteria demanded of an excellent a rubber for the modern game: i) When top-spinning, the GEWO Hype EL Pro is incredibly dynamic with an extremely high arc. ii) The EL- sponge (Elastic Rubber), is specially designed for GEWO, it provides impressive feeling when hitting the ball during the fastest of rallies. iii) The DGC40+ (Dynamic-Grip-Concept) ensures a consistent, reliable contact with the ball, preventing any "skidding" with the new poly ball.

Click on the following links for more marketing material and technical stats for the 47.5, 42.5, and 40 version.

Initial inspection of the rubbers: All rubbers were tested in 2.1 mm thickness. The 47.5 and 42.5 versions were provided in black, while the 40 was a red sheet. The uncut rubbers weigh 74 (47.5), 68 (42.5) and 67 (40.0) grams respectively. All of the rubbers smell very ‘rubbery’ but are completely devoid of any doming. Gewo uses the same matte, non-tacky, yet seemingly grippy topsheet on all three rubbers (they have the same ITTF identification number), which seems very robust. The 47.5, 42.5 and 40.0 sponges are orange, white, and yellow, respectively, and have small pores. The sponge of the 47.5 version feels very firm, even firmer than the Rasant Powergrip. Similarly, the 42.5 and 40 versions also felt ~2.5 degrees harder than their labels. My guess is that the topsheet is firmer than in most of the recent ESN rubbers.

Playing impressions 47.5: This rubber felt fast and bouncy right from the get-go. Flat FH counter drives and fast FH loop drives from mid-distance felt very good, although some of my shots strayed long when the massive catapult activated. I had a hard time developing a good feel for slower FH loops, especially against heavy backspin (returns from long pips). It was as if the very hard sponge made it hard for me to gauge how hard I hit and how much sponge had compressed. As a result, my loops were not very consistent, making me lose confidence in my FH. I also found it hard to generate a lot of spin on slow serves, whereas the rubber shone on fast serves. It was hard for me to control the length in touch play, almost invariably the ball was a little too long and too high. Granted, longer testing time and/or better technique would probably compensate for these problems. Nonetheless, out of the 10-15 rubbers that I have tested over the past couple of months, this one is the first one that I never got really comfortable with during the 2-3 h test.

Playing impressions 42.5: This rubber is slow, yet bouncy. It felt a somewhat mushy in FH counter drives and FH loop drives. Just like with the 47.5 version, sometimes it felt like a catapult set in, resulting in a stray long ball. FH loops felt slightly better relative to the 47.5 version, but the catapult effect again made the rubber somewhat unpredictable. To me, it felt like the sponge was on the verge of collapsing on hard hits, as well as on counter topspin loops from mid-distance. I was surprised how little spin I could generate on serves, thinking that the softer sponge (relative to the 47.5 version) would allow for deeper sponge penetration. Pushes did go flat and spinny though.

Playing impressions 40: Based on my experiences with the 47.5 and 42.5 versions, I was not having high hopes for the 40 version. Interestingly, this turned out to be my favorite in this series, which is surprising since I am a ~47.5 degrees kinda guy. The rubber is not very fast, but the sponge is now sufficiently soft to let the blade character shine through much more clearly, which in this particular case led to a good combination. FH counter drives and FH loop drives felt much firmer, and the catapult was less of a random factor. FH loops felt pretty good, producing a good arc over the net. Spin on serves and pushes still did not feel up to par with the T05’s, MX-P’s and Rasant Grip’s of this world, but better than the 47.5 and 42.5 versions. It was easy to keep pushes flat.

Evaluation using the TableTennisDb grading system.

47.5 version: Speed: 9.3, Spin: 8.4, Control: 8.1, Tackiness: 1.0, Throw Angle: 4, Weight: 7, Sponge Hardness: 7.5, Gears: 8.0

42.5 version: Speed: 8.4, Spin: 8.4, Control: 8.2, Tackiness: 1.0, Throw Angle: 4.5, Weight: 5.5, Sponge Hardness: 5, Gears: 7.5

40 version: Speed: 8.2, Spin: 8.6, Control: 8.6, Tackiness: 1.0, Throw Angle: 5, Weight: 5, Sponge Hardness: 4.5, Gears: 8.0

Reviewer background and testing conditions: I am an allround-offensive player with a 2150 USATT rating. The test setup was a Nexy Zealot blade, 1.8 RITC 802-40 short pips in the BH, and the Gewo Hype rubbers (not boosted), which were affixed using two thin layers of Revolution 3 normal viscosity glue. YinHe 40+ *** balls were used. After 15-30 min of warmup, I played ~15-25 sets against my usual training partners.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 05/24/2016 at 4:16pm

Feedback
tamtam View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamtam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2016 at 9:20pm
Thank you very much for your helpful reviews. I am considering Gewo Hype EL Pro or Nanoflex to replace my favourite Adidas Tenzone Ultra (FH) and Tenzone Ultra SF (BH). It seemed Gewo Hype EL Pro might not be the right candidate.

Much look forward to reading your reviews on Gewo Nanoflex 45 & 40.
Blade: MJ SZLC
FH: Adidas Tenzone Ultra SF 2.0
BH: Adidas Tenzone Ultra SF 1.8
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2016 at 9:22pm
The Nanoflex series is really great !!!

Feedback
tamtam View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tamtam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2016 at 9:30pm
I did read your excellent review on Nanoflex 48. That's why I am considering Gewo rubbers. Thought that newest Gewo rubbers can be better than Nanoflex seriesWacko!  
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/24/2016 at 9:51pm
Review: Gewo Nanoflex FT series

Impressed by the Gewo’s Nanoflex FT48, I was looking forward to test the softer variants of this series, i.e., the FT45 and FT40.

Marketing. Gewo describes the Nanoflex series in the following manner; “The innovative revolution of nanoFLEX is the new development with the wow effect. It is a premium rubber with the latest high state-of-the-art technology. Players at all levels have participated during the development and testing of this rubber. GEWO technicians have created a new innovative high tech rubber series with nanoFLEX, a geometry adapted pimple structure.” Click on the following links for more marketing material and technical stats for the FT45 and FT40.

Initial inspection of the rubbers: The two rubbers were tested in 2.1 mm thickness; FT45 was supplied as a red sheet, while the FT40 was a black sheet. The uncut rubbers weigh 72 (FT45), and 67 (FT40). There is a hint of booster smell, yet the rubbers don’t dome. Gewo uses the same matte, non-tacky topsheet on this series (they have the same ITTF identification number). Visually, there is little, if any, difference in the topsheets of the Hype and Nanoflex series. The FT45 and FT40 sponges are cream-colored and yellow, respectively, and have medium-large pores. The hardness of the rubbers is in agreement with the labels. 

Playing impressions FT45: Right from the get-go, the rubber has a completely different, and in my opinion, much nicer feel than the Hype rubbers. Just like the FT48, it allows for excellent flat FH hitting and FH topspin-to-topspin rallies. I was a little disappointed with this rubber relative to its FT48 cousin when looping against heavy backspin. To me, it seemed as if the ball didn’t ‘bite’ into the topsheet quite as well. In fact, I felt the ball slipped on a couple of occasions. I don’t quite understand the reason behind this (bad glue job?), and I may need to re-test this rubber to get to the bottom of this. Pushes were nice low and spinny. Serves produced very good amounts of spin.

Playing impressions FT40: This is a very nice rubber if you like ‘em soft. Good FH counterdrives and flat-hitting although it – as expected - is noticeably slower and more mushy than its 45 and 48 brethren. Excellent feel and high arc during looping, accompanied with a nice clicking sound. I felt this rubber paired very well with the hard outer ply of my Zealot test blade. Touch shots were precise, and serves were loaded with spin. Quite naturally it lacked a little bit in raw finishing power.  

Evaluation using the TableTennisDb grading system.

FT45 version: Speed: 8.8, Spin: 9.1, Control: 8.5, Tackiness: 1.0, Throw Angle: 5, Weight: 6, Sponge Hardness: 5, Gears: 8.5

FT40 version: Speed: 8.6, Spin: 9.2, Control: 8.9, Tackiness: 1.0, Throw Angle: 5.5, Weight: 4.5, Sponge Hardness: 4, Gears: 8.3

In my opinion, the Gewo Nanoflex series deserves much more attention than it is currently getting. For me, the FT48 is up there along with MX-P and T05. The softer versions are of similar quality but suit other styles and developing players better.

Reviewer background and testing conditions: I am an allround-offensive player with a 2150 USATT rating. The test setup was a Nexy Zealot blade, my new BH rubber, i.e., a 1.8 RITC 802-40 short pip and the Gewo Hype rubbers (not boosted), which were affixed using two thin layers of Revolution 3 normal viscosity glue. YinHe 40+ *** balls were used. After 15-30 min of warmup, I played ~15-25 sets against my usual training partners.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 05/24/2016 at 4:18pm

Feedback
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 12:26am
Interesting: The Hype 47.5 is currently the highest rated rubber on tabletennisdb. I will re-test these rubbers again just to make sure I wasn't simply having an "off"-week when testing the Hype series.

Edited by patrickhrdlicka - 03/08/2016 at 2:20am

Feedback
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2016 at 8:43am
The reviews are mostly real there. The ratings are fake / made-up / manipulated.
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/21/2016 at 12:28am
Review: Hype EL Pro series

I tested all three of the Hype rubbers on my OSP Virtuoso Off- blade. I'm a 1750 level modern defender. I used XSF 3* balls for the test. I've made a subjective pros/cons list for each rubber in the series:

Hype 47.5 - This top-sheet feels harder than pretty much any rubber I've used. The sponge is also very firm.
Pros: When looping, I was able to produce more spin and speed than with any of the other rubbers in the series. Counter-drives were also very fast, and I could hit through heave incoming spin. Responded well with active blocking.
Cons: Looping required maximum effort to get that massive spin and speed. When I would loop or hit with lazy strokes (which is often with my game), the ball responded erratically, i.e. it would slip when lifting underspin, or travel off the end with little topspin pulling it down. Low throw angle (not necessarily a con, but I prefer a higher arc.). Responded poorly when passive blocking.
In Sum: Probably the least usable rubber of the series for my skill level. I think an aggressive offensive, expert level player would probably do very well this rubber and take advantage of its speed and spin potential.

Hype 42.5 - Obviously a bit softer sponge, same top-sheet. The weight feels just right for my setup.
Pros: Looping and topspin drives were a breeze with nice control. It felt like this top-sheet and sponge combo were right in the sweet spot when setup with my Virtuoso blade. Very comfortable medium throw angle. Blocking was great both active and passive. Touch play was also nice, I was able to push with heavy spin.
Cons: Not many for my game. The spin potential is a touch less when compared to T05 (my usual rubber). More effort was required to get high spin on serves.
In Sum: A really nice rubber for my game. It's definitely a rubber that I would purchase and test further. My favorite of the series.

Hype 40: I usually don't notice differences in red vs black rubbers, but this red top-sheet felt softer than the black.... could've been the softer sponge giving this impression.
Pros: Easy spin with less effort than the other two Hype rubbers. Less sensitive to incoming spin. Lifting underspin was easiest of the three rubbers. Nice medium high throw angle (not as high as T05). Very good control. Good spin when serving.
Cons: Felt a bit mushy. The loss of speed vs. the other rubbers in this series was noticeable in match play...my opponents were having an easier time countering my loops and returning smashes.
In Sum: I enjoyed this rubber when practicing/warming up, but match play left a bit to be desired. Still a recommendable rubber to many of the 1200-1700 level players at my club.

Overall, I think this is a very nice series of rubbers that would suit a wide range of players.
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
bptse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bptse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 5:00pm
Review: Comparison of Gewo NanoFlex FT48 & Gewo Hype EL Pro47.5

Gewo NanoFlex FT48

FT48 right out of the gate looked very promising. It has a booster smell but not the window opening level of MX-P. While comparing their sponges the pore structure looks and feels very similar upon touch. Even the top sheets seem the same with the small grainy-very “grippy” feel. The overall hardness is slightly softer than MX-S and maybe the same as MX-P. I decided to put it on my Photino to compare it with the MX-S that was already on there. I’ve been using this setup for well over a month now.

Catapult (bounciness) wise it is nowhere near MX-P. It does have a good spring and elastic nature but it is so much more easy to control from start than MX-P. I’d say speed wise it’s somewhere in between the two and closer to MX-S. Just like MX-S it plays very well close or mid distance, has decent power further back, and can drive through backspin easily. I believe you have a bit of a margin of error for your stroke due to it’s grip. It has a nice kick off the table during active blocks when I added sidespin or when I fish. Once I open up and start FH or BH driving the ball around net high I can feel how easy it is to strike and guide the ball. All the components of the grip and sponge work to provide a very solid controlled feel with sort of a snapping/clicking sound. Topspin is excellent while driving or brushing the ball full swing. It’s very easy to get my wrist involved on the FH. The ball has a medium to medium high throw with a nice late dive. Balls that I feel could go past the table dive and landed safely during topspin exchanges.

On the backhand my loops have an above average top and sidespin with a nice solid striking feel. Again it is easy to grab the ball as it drops down below the table and arch it back over with a nice amount of side topspin. I do like the MX-S a bit more on the backhand because the hitting feel is more solid and it’s a bit easier to counter backspin to that side with MX-S. Over the table pushing and playing the touch shots are easy. Flat hitting excels as well as flicks and punches. Banana flicks could be executed below the net over mid table with lots of spin and speed.

Serving is above average. I could do short side/backspin serves with lots of rotation. Applying backspin seemed to be very easy with above average spin.

All in all it’s a great FH rubber that I could see using it on the backhand as well. It excels in active blocking, counter topspins and playing a relentless topspin game to try to overpower your opponent. It is much easier to play with than MX-P because it tones the catapult down very much but still maintains good high and medium gears. But I think MX-P is better for flat hitting. In another review I read it was compared to P7. Having played P7 a limited amount of time now I’d say it is a much more controllable rubber and feels less bouncy but has less spin on full loops away from the table. What stands out the most is the ease, control and feedback with how it plays that makes this rubber a good FH choice.

Gewo Hype EL Pro 47.5 (Note: This is my own sheet of Hype, not the test version.)

The pips of the rubber are noticeably taller and larger on the Hype compared to Nanoflex 48. It has a very hard sponge similar to NF48 with smaller pores. I put the rubber on the Photino with two thin layers of Rev3 and played 3 one hour sessions in which I wrote notes after each. First off I didn’t really feel any more of a catapult or bouncy effect compared to the NF but the rubber does feel much more solid than NF when the ball strikes the sponge. A bit like how MX-S feels. Forgive me on any redundancies during the sessions.

Session 1

During match play I immediately saw it’s spin potential on the first serve. On a back/sidespin serve the ball seemed to break trajectory and jumped to the side right off the bounce more than any serve I’ve done and my usual opponent completely whiffed/missed the serve. I didn’t replicate it again but my opponent said there was a lot of spin on pushes and chops. On rallies I felt like it took a bit of an adjustment to open up my FH drives and loops. I hit quite a few into the net at first. Compared to the NF the throw angle seems lower and it didn’t seem as fast except during high gear. I had to adjust my loop drives to get the ball over the net. Slow loops seemed to be below average on spin but blocking was very good as was hitting through backspin. Using the Hype on the BH seemed like a better option. Hitting through the ball felt smooth, very solid, and very good. BH blocking was easy as well as banana flicks and loops. I was able to stand 3 to four feet away and easily topspin rally with my backhand. Over all it was a rubber I felt has potential but I would have to spend some time with it. I didn’t like Rasant Powergrip until I moved it to my Calix 2. I didn’t like MX-P until my third or 4th session. When I say I don’t like something it’s generally because it’s harder to control and land shots I feel I would normally hit with more consistency. There seems to be some very good spin potential with this rubber which is always good if the control is there. Speed didn’t really stand out although it seemed to have enough power about 4 feet away without me having to swing my arm any faster.

Session 2

Today I felt like the rubber was very much more controllable. Starting out on the FH I was able to do all the serves I enjoy and backspin was very good. I got my opponent to bite on a few resulting in a net ball. FH loops and loop drives were much easier than yesterday and I could swing full speed. Again being a new sheet of rubber, it doesn’t feel overly “bouncy” like some ESN’s when they are new (MXP, P7, Rasant PG, Bluefire) except on high gear. My Nanoflex doesn’t really have much either but this rubber seems more subdued to me. You also don’t feel the ball grip into the rubber like I do the NanoFlex where I feel the NF gives great feel on FH drives. But non the less I was satisfied and would say it played good for FH attacks and active blocking and the speed is about the same if ever so slightly faster than NF. Topspin was good. I felt like the Hype stood out once again on the BH. Very easy to block, drive, or topspin; very easy to impart top/sidespin on reverse penhold BH strokes, and banana flicks were very powerful. This rubber handles very quick motions like punching and flat hitting as well.

Session 3

Today the rubber felt like it was firing on all cylinders. Starting out on the FH my active blocking of my opponents topspin loops had really good feel with a nice low arch trajectory. Backing away from the table I could counter his topspin drives with my own winners. I could drive smash backspin good and flat hitting was good. On the BH blocking and looping worked really well. I was hitting some low trajectory loops right at table height that I felt I could with my more “flexy” Calix with Rising Dragon on the BH.

Moving the Hype to my faster Adidas Radix Ultimate (If I gave the Ultimate a speed rating of 9.5/9.6, Photino would be about a 9.2)

I’ve been using the Hype on my Backhand and a new sheet of MX-S on the FH for several sessions with much satisfaction. I can attack and loop very well at close range and a couple of feet away. The high spin on loops give a huge left to right trajectory about medium low height. It has a similar feel to MX-S when smashing the ball. Maybe a lower throw and slightly softer. Serves have a lot of spin. Not as much as a new sheet of MX-S.

Standout differences between Nanoflex FT48 and Hype EL Pro47.5. Speed is close with Hype bringing more top speed on topspin drives. Spin is close but I think Hype brings a bit more except on slow loops. Serving felt like it had heavier spin as well. Feel and control I’d have to give the edge to Nanoflex. It just gives your hand confidence during the stroke. The throw angle again seems to be the biggest difference. Hype is lower but I’d have to give the edge to Hype on faster full strokes and the edge to Nanoflex on slow looping and fishing and net play. I would choose NF for my FH and Hype for my BH. In disclosure my NF 48 has about 30 hours on it compared to my Hype. 

For reference and scale with some other rubbers I have listed this chart in the order of my favorite rubbers the past couple of years. TT db kind of dictated where I started my baseline. For instance I have played with H3 Neo quite a bit and I started and adjusted from there. MX-P is the fastest rubber I’ve tried. The only tenergy I’ve tried is T80. My overall ratings for FH & BH are based off averaging percentages of the main 3 components (speed, spin, control) with multipliers tweaked for what I look for in a BH or FH rubber. They are all very close but I do have my favorites. If I theoretically had to play only one rubber on both sides of the paddle it would be probably be YRD or MX-S because I feel it has great control on both sides for my form but there a few that are pretty equal for different reasons. I’ve loosely logged my hours on a spreadsheet the past couple of years as well. The Gewo Rubbers very surprisingly are good rubbers if I leave out duration and cost. I did also try out Flexxon a while ago and I’d have to say I believe that rubber is pure garbage. I felt like I could spin better with a bare paddle than with Flexxon.

I’m guessing I’m around a 1600 level aggressive/close to the table penhold player that looks to finish with a FH drive/smash or Reverse Backhand flick, smash, or loop. I like Hard to Med/Hard rubbers on both sides. I used to be a traditional one sided short pips penhold player. I play singles and doubles every day except for weekends for at least an hour.  My normal setup is the Calix 2 with MX-P max (FH) and Rising Dragon max (BH). Lately I’ve been enjoying the Photino with Gewo NanoFlex FT48 max on the FH and MX-S max on the BH. Past setups: YEO with Stigga Clippa & Tenergy 80. Juic Kalinic with H3 or H3 Neo

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/22/2016 at 5:11pm
Great review, bptse !!!!

Feedback
tamtam View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tamtam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/05/2016 at 6:28am
Excellent review! Many thanks bptse.

I have seen Gewo just released the new generation of Hype Pro series: Gewo Hype XT pro 50 & 40. According to the manufacturer, they are:
"The premium product of the GEWO Hype series – ultimate speed in a new dimension! FLEX-TECH technology provides for maximum precision in any attacking situation, while the DGC40+ top sheet guarantees constant and reliable coupling when the bat hits the ball. These groundbreaking technologies are ideal for higher-level players. They are fun-toplay and feature convincing catapult effect, high trajectory thanks to maximum surface tackiness and great power with optimum energy transfer for point-winning topspin rallies. The two-year development focused on high forgivingness without compromise as regards speed, control and spin. Despite all the speed and dynamics of its 50° hard sponge, GEWO Hype XT Pro 50.0 still provides for great control for modern, spinny serve/return play thanks to its tacky surface. Unbelievable control for passive balls, blocking and opening flips thanks to FLEX-TECH sponge/rubber design. Truly a new standard in modern table tennis! "
I guess these are improved version of Hype Pro.
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2016 at 8:15pm
Review: Gewo Nanoflex FT45 & FT40

I tested both Nanoflex rubbers on my OSP Virtuoso Off- blade. I'm a 1750 level modern defender. I used XSF 3* balls for the test. I've made a subjective pros/cons list for both rubbers:

Nanoflex FT45
Pros: Does everything I want to do fairly well, which makes it a great all-around rubber. If there is one aspect that is above average, I would say it is the superb control. That doesn’t necessarily mean the rubber is slow…it has plenty of speed. Like the FT48, which I have previously reviewed, I hit many loops and power shots that I thought would be off the end of the table, but they landed safely on. It only took a few of these occurrences for me to start hitting with more and more confidence and power.
Cons: Not many for me. I would say the speed and spin are just average when compared to other next gen tensors, which doesn’t make this a particularly exciting rubber, but playing with the confidence this rubber instills offsets that potential con.
In Sum: This is a rubber I would choose, especially if I found it on sale.

Nanoflex FT40
Pros:  Easy spin. Nice medium high arc. I had great control on all strokes. Away from the table was also nice. I could counter loop and hit through balls with heave topspin with no problems. Fishing shots were possible, and I could put deceptively good spin on the ball with very small wrist movements.
Cons: Pretty easy to hit through the softer sponge. Not as much speed to hit winners.  I had some slippage when looping against underspin, but I think this was due to some residue from the wax paper the rubber was packed in by the previous tester.
In Sum: A nice rubber for players who prefer soft sponge. I wouldn’t recommend anything but max thickness.

Overall: I’m a fan of the Nanoflex series. It probably won’t replace T05 for me, but it is a nice alternative. Whenever it’s on sale at Tabletennis11.com, I’ll likely buy a sheet or two.
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
Egghead View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Egghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2016 at 8:24pm
Originally posted by ndotson ndotson wrote:

Overall: I’m a fan of the Nanoflex series. It probably won’t replace T05 for me, but it is a nice alternative. Whenever it’s on sale at Tabletennis11.com, I’ll likely buy a sheet or two.
Haha, your wish is granted. It is only 40usd (nano-Flex FT45) @ tt-store.eu

Edited by Egghead - 04/14/2016 at 8:26pm
Aurora ST: Rhyzm / Talent OX
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2016 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by Egghead Egghead wrote:

Originally posted by ndotson ndotson wrote:

Haha, your wish is granted. It is only 40usd (nano-Flex FT45) @ tt-store.eu

Lol! Thanks for the tip!
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2016 at 11:17am
Review: Gewo Nanoflex FT 45

Test blade: TB-ALC

I spent extra time with the rubber (sorry Patrick!) as I wanted to compare 2 new sheets that I had with me - the Omega V Europe and the Evolution EL-P. I already use Acuda Blue P2 on my BH and had one on my MJ-SZLC.

I was very impressed with this rubber (tested on a TB-ALC blade). It seems to be in the same category of rubbers (in both hardness and feel) as the Andro Rasant Grip and Xiom Omega V Europe. Similar hardness of sponge with similar large pores. I like this rubber more than the EL-P (which is very popular in my club). 

As a comparison to EL-P, I find that it has a softer, grippier topsheet and a harder sponge. More spin. It is less bouncy at the table. EL-P is a bit better for punching.

As a comparison to the Acuda Blue P2: the FT45 is slightly bouncier at the table. It has a harder topsheet and the sponge feels a shade softer (perhaps due to its pores being larger in size than those in the Blue P2). Similar amount of spin. Throw angle seemed to be higher than the Blue P2. If I had both of these rubbers on the same blade, I'd use FT45 on FH and Blue P2 on BH.

I thought that the rubber bite / grip was excellent and I had no problems with lifting backspin or any slippage with this. This rubber could be used equally well in BH or FH for someone used to 45 degree rubbers. Throw angle was slightly higher than Rasant Grip (more similar to the OVE). Weight was similar to both (around 49-50g cut to a TB-ALC).

On the flip side, I don't see much differentiation that Gewo has with this rubber in comparison with the 2 above mentioned rubbers (RG and OVE). I must imagine that they go to ESN and ESN supplies them with already used & successful 'recipes' for a large batch order.

I could clearly see myself using this on BH: only unknown is durability.

Review: Gewo Hype EL 47.5

Test blade: Donic Crest OFF

I did not expect much from this rubber after reading a lukewarm review of it in this thread. However, I was very pleasantly surprised by it.

First impressions: good feeling, good control and very spinny. Slightly soft feel (from its topsheet). Good grip. Good for lifting against backspin. It felt like a slightly softer-sponged (but harder 'topsheeted'), spinnier Acuda Blue P1. Topsheet is softer than that of MX-P. Speed is less than that of MX-P. Spin on slow strokes is a bit greater than that of MX-P (due to its soft topsheet) but slightly less than MX-P on harder strokes. Sponge is a bit harder than that of MX-P.

IMHO, there are so many ESN variants to choose from, what you decide to have should depend a lot on what overall effect you want (from blade + rubber) and then choose after choosing blade.

For me, at the time of testing, I was using MJ-SZLC as my main blade with MX-P on FH. While MX-P works with this blade when new, it feels a bit too fast after a month (because of the spin capability diminishing a bit). I feel that if I continue with this blade, the Hype EL 47.5 is the best candidate so far on FH (over MX-P). I liked the rubber that much as a good match for that blade. In fact, after my 1st 2 hour stint, I immediately looked up reviews. I could find one reviewer on tabletennisdb that raved about the rubber but complained about its durability. While I take this with a pinch of salt, I await for a couple of adopters to comment on this rubber. If it is about as durable (particularly grip over time) as MX-P, I'm in. I can whole heartedly say that it would work great with ZLC blades like MJ, MJ-SZLC, Donic Crest series.

However, for my taste, it is a good FH rubber. For BH, I currently prefer rubbers that are easier to generate spin with (ie: the softer 45 degree ones).

Here is a list of rubbers (similar hardness, recently developed) that would be lower down in my preference table (than the Hype 47.5) on my FH: MX-S (too difficult to play with, topsheet has low durability), Omega V Asia (with stiff blade, I need a bit higher throw from mid-distance), Acuda Blue P1 (a bit too light-weight in terms of grip and spin for me, would prefer slightly higher throw from mid-distance).

After reading comparisons of this rubber with the Nanoflex FT 48, I feel compelled to try the FT48 as well.

Thanks to Patrick for organizing this excellent avenue for us to review new rubbers. Thanks to TT11 for providing rubbers for this purpose! Clap

Edited by slevin - 04/15/2016 at 11:27am
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2016 at 3:16pm
Thanks to everyone for the reviews. I am looking to find a better MXP in the sense that I am looking for something that has the same topsheet hardness as MXP but throws a bit higher (and it is not T05). So far it seems to me that neither the Hype 47,5 nor the Nanoflex 48 fits what I want. Perhaps I should wait for the two new Gewo rubbers, I hope they will not "boast" a softish topsheet.
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2016 at 5:04pm
Stay tuned for tests of the two new Gewo rubbers Wink

Feedback
bptse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bptse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/20/2016 at 4:17pm
Previously in this thread I compared two of Gewo’s harder sponges, the Hype EL Pro 47.5 and NanoFlex NT48. I really like both rubbers. I kept the Hype on the BH of my penhold Radix Ultimate and I have a couple of NF 48’s on the FH of my other blades. In fact, pairing the 47.5 with MX-S on the FH on the Radix, it’s currently my favorite setup. With the next review and the limited playing time (about 5 hrs combined) I had playing with the sum of the sheets, I’m going to briefly review the rest of the Hype and NanoFlex series.

GEWO Hype EL Pro 42.5 & Hype EL Pro 40

I placed both the Hype 42.5 and Hype 40 on my Photino simultaneously for comparison with a couple of layers of RevNo.3 for two quick match play sessions lasting less than an hour each.

The speed of both rubbers felt average on my Photino but I didn’t feel either one lacked speed when I needed it. The 42.5 is about 8 to 10% slower than the Hype 47.5 and the 40 is about 5% slower than the 42.5. Both rubbers produce very good spin and movement as they have very good grip. Spin was a bit easier to produce than with the Hype 47.5 but I felt like there was not as much spin than the 47.5 on higher gears, especially for the 40. During serves, low balls with above average spin could be produced but on opening slow loops I felt both rubbers seemed below average; lacking spin, arc, and distance. It took a bit more effort to get the ball deep and high. Faster loops got much better as I could involve more of the sponge. Driving was much easier for me to execute than looping. The 42.5 was better for driving because it had better feel than the 40. Both provide decent kick off the table, much like the 47.5. On smashes the 42.5 felt like it had good placement control. It was slightly softer than I would prefer but the 40 totally lacked the feel I desired and on very strong smashes it felt too soft. Pushing allows for very good touch and control for both and I could very easily push long as well. On passive blocks it was easy to control but the rebound lacked some speed. Although I felt this helped for good drop shots, a part of my game that needs serious work.

Summary - I believe the Hype series is more for the advanced player that can consistently utilize the sponge with good technique and completely committed strokes to unlock the full spin potential; I’m sure with more time I could enjoy playing with these softer versions more, much like I do the harder 47.5. In some ways it is easier to play with these softer Hype sponges compared to the 47.5 but definitely not as pleasant. It is easier to produce spin but I felt like the rubbers still lacked arc and distance on slow loops and I still prefer the harder 47.5 due to the feel while hitting through the ball. Things that stood out: serving and blocking is above average for both rubbers. I would say the spin stands out. Touch play around the net is excellent. Neither rubber initially made me want to purchase them in the future. In quick comparison of the 42.5 to Rakza 7 Soft I’d say R7S is better in many aspects. R7S is more lively and has a much higher throw along with a more all-round playability. In comparison of the 40 to the softer Andro Rasant Beat, I’d say they very similar. The beat seems to have a bit more snap to it but it also has a less solid feel to it compared to the 40. All in all, taking the whole Hype series into account and the initial time restraint, the NanoFlex Series seems better for a player of my caliber. (although I really do love the Hype 47.5 and that has grown on me because I actually own and play with it)

GEWO NanoFlex FT40

The softest version of the NanoFlex was surprisingly similar to the FT48; having a porous sponge with a high grip topsheet. FT48 being already one of my favorite rubbers to use on either FH or BH I decided to use two thin layers of Andro Turbo Fix to glue FT40 on my Photino to compare with the FT48 already on the blade. I tested the rubbers for two straight hours of match play.

FT40 has all of the spin and control characteristics of the FT48 with around 10% less speed. That’s it; slower and perhaps easier to spin on slower strokes. There were times in lower/low medium gears and pushing where it would be easy to forget which rubber you are playing with. Very good feel and control. Good for slower loops. I could see using this on a very fast blade to help with control but I feel it would be a trade off because I would lose control in blocking. Serving seemed just as well as the FT48. Smashing is very good for a soft rubber. If I had time I would love to put it on my Qabod to directly compare it with the Rasant Beat I use on my BH. Despite it being 40 degrees I didn’t feel like I was bottoming out like I do on the softer Rasant Beat. I don’t have loads of experience with softer sponges but comparing it to my favorite soft sponge rubber, Rakza 7 Soft, I’d say it can play comparably well on the BH and FH. It’s a little less bouncy if you compare it to a new sheet of R7Soft. Given it’s more expensive price I would probably go with the Yasaka but the NanoFlex series is proving to be a good series for a player with my flaws.

GEWO NanoFlex FT45

This is the last of the NanoFlex series and of the rubbers that I tested. Although I posted this all at once, I tested and wrote my actual review for the FT40 over a month ago it seems, and the softer Hype 40 and 42.5 a couple of weeks ago. The FT45 feels quite firm and the sponge/pores remind me of a harder Rasant Grip. I still had the Hype 40 on the Photino because I was waiting to mail all the rubbers back to Patrick so I put the FT45 on the other side for direct comparison. I used one layer of RevNo3 glue and played two quick match sessions lasting a bit less than an hour each.

The FT45, much like the harder FT48 is very easy to play. During match play there is a bit less spin and a less speed than the FT48 but really it’s quite hard to tell on top end speed. It’s the medium paced controlled shots and the blocks where the FT45 starts to show a slower pace. It is great for punching, smashing, driving and countering. There is a high pitched snap sound on smashes and flicks. Perhaps from the high tension of the rubber? On serves it is quite spinny and it is easy to receive serves. On the backhand side it is really a joy to play with. It looped and drove wonderfully with good movement and fits my desire for hardness, spin, and control. If the 48 didn’t already fit that need, I’d say 45 could be a contender if it had more speed. A funny thing happened when I was playing with the softer Hype 40 on the other side of the paddle. The 40 was really quite enjoyable compared with my memory of it a couple of weeks ago. Slow but very controlled and enjoyable with loads of spin and kick. Anyway back to the FT45, a few feet back from the table I was able to land steady paced controlled loops from either BH or FH. I felt the 45 had the same late diving spin that the FT 48 portrays. One other thing I really like about the FT45 is you don’t lose much of the feel that I like in the FT48. It’s still there and it helps with confidence during execution.

Summary – the NanoFlex series is a rubber that is very easy to play with from the get go. I would say easier to me than the Rasant series. I had more of a learning curve with those rubbers perhaps due to the low throw and sometimes I really feel I hit rasant grip into the net more often. These rubbers are great close to the table. That is mostly where I dwell.

For comparison, below is an adjusted rating chart for rubbers I’ve used lately in order of sponge hardness. As you can see I prefer harder rubbers. I highlighted the BH column because I feel if I had to choose I would use all the rubbers reviewed above on the BH side.

I’m guessing I’m around a 1600 level aggressive/close to the table penhold player that looks to finish with a FH drive/smash or Reverse Backhand flick, smash, or loop. I like Hard to Med/Hard rubbers on both sides. I used to be a traditional one sided short pips penhold player. I play singles and doubles every day except for weekends for at least an hour and occasionally try to get away from the small kids to really play at the TTC of Louisville.  My normal setup is the Calix 2 with MX-P max (FH) and P7 max (BH). Lately I’ve been enjoying the Radix Ultimate with Gewo Hype EL Pro 47.5 max on the BH and MX-S max on the FH. Past setups: YEO with Stigga Clippa & Tenergy 80. Juic Kalinic with H3 or H3 Neo.

Thanks for reading and your interest and thank you Patrick for organizing and giving me this opportunity.

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/06/2016 at 5:30pm
I am happy to announce the winners of the Gewo giveaway.

bptse gets the 1st price: a 2.1 red Hype EL Pro 47.5
ndotson gets the 2nd price: a 2.1 black Hype EL Pro 42.5

Thank you to pingpongdepot.com for providing the sheets for the giveaway and tabletennis11.com for making the Gewo rubbers available for forum testing - we appreciate your support of the forum.

This forum test is hereby concluded but keep an eye out for future testing opportunities. 

Feedback
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 3:58pm
I have been using an Hype EL 42.5 for 15 hours now and it is very promising. It gives me a feeling that it is not one of the variations on the Bluefire family but something really innovative. Compared to the XIOM OV Pro, it behaves as if it was really designed for the plastic ball.

I fixed it with VOC and my intention is to keep it on my blade for as long as possible to see how much its performance goes down as time goes by.

It is worth mentioning that I only could smell some very vague booster smell. Its sponge is like that of XIOM rubbers except it is white. This is a relief for me because GEWO does not seem to Tibhar's sponges. The topsheet is definitely different to Evo series. I will write more about it after further testing. I am playing with some 2000-2100 guys tomorrow and that will reveal a lot. I played with one of them last week, he uses a boosted MX-S on his FH and some short pips on his BH. The Hype outplayed his MXS in my opinion but I do not want to overpraise this rubber unless it is really founded.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/24/2016 at 4:17pm
To be precise, it outplayed MXS on arching loops and away from the table loops. Speed was better too.
tabletennis11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tabletennis11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2016 at 5:20am
Hi everyone!

@patrickhrdlicka also wrote a blog post about these rubbers to our table tennis blog. Please read his full review of Gewo nanoFLEX series here: http://blog.tabletennis11.com/gewo-nanoflex-ft48-ft45-ft40-table-tennis-rubbers-reviews

Smile
PS. This week we have a 20% discount for Gewo Nanoflex FT48 .
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2016 at 5:42am
After about two months use, these are my impressions of the 42.5 Hype 2.1. I have not tuned it whatsoever and only used VOC to fix it on the blade. It started out as a somewhat stiff rubber and the topsheet felt a little rigid and I had to pay attention to make the rubber grab the ball. This rigidity subsided after about a month and the rubber became pleasantly softer. And this is where it beats Tibhar's MXP which is unpleasant to play after about two months because its topsheet becomes dry and unflexible and only tuning can bring some life back into it. The Hype is still good and reliable. I have hit over 50 hours with the Gewo, removed and glued it back  about 10 times with VOC and it is still good to play. It certainly beats the MXP in terms of durability so far.

As far as technique is concerned, the MXP maybe easier to play for a larger number of people, from intermediate level up but I tend to think that once you have solid strokes and footwork to accompany it, the Gewo 42.5 can be equally efficient or maybe more. Their throw angle is different for sure so the Hype needs a little more attention but it is nothing that you cannot get used to. It rewards a FH that moves forward and not upwards.

For you to be able to position in compared to other rubbers: definitely faster than Acuda S2 (but control is more difficult as it is not as forgiving). In exchange it is spinnier and deadlier even from 3-4 meters off the table. Compared to MXP my impressions is that they are about equally fast but the Gewo requires better technique. Spin: similar but the different arc on the ball may cause you to perceive MXP better in this regard. Actually, loops from the MXP tend to jump up at the opponent by default while from the Hype they tend to fly on in a flatter arc.

For me and my wallet, the Gewo seems to be a better option in the long run.  As the league season is at pause now, I cannot tell you how it performs against tough opponents but I trust it does good.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic