Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Cant make forhand serve during tournament

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
ssiew968 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ssiew968 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cant make forhand serve during tournament
    Posted: 08/02/2006 at 9:56pm

Recently I play in a local tournament. My usual weapon of forehand serve and then attack failed miserably. Reason being I was somehow unable to serve using forehand. It's kind of weird as I just dont have the feel when I serve and thus all my supposingly spinny serve become just like no-spin serve.

From my frens' advice and my own analysis, it was due to following:-

1) Focus too much on serving esp on my wrist. Thus somehow it wasnt working anymore.

2) My fren told me that it was not my hand that gave me problem. More of my waist was not turning and thus the coordination btw my wrist and waist all go haywire.

3) Nervousness as I kept wanted to serve better. Muscle then became tight.

Anyone who have such experience before? What is your advice? Thank you.

Sponsored Links

schlager_replic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schlager_replic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2006 at 10:41pm
i have doing some local tournament here, my weapon on table tennis absolutely service (schlager_replic), i think your problem its all coz of nervoues,maybe you still have less confident with your service, try to practice yourself, i practice service at least 600 ball when a wanna....so on tournament,with much practice, it will flow without we need to think to much with a movement of wirst and waist....:))=-
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2006 at 11:47pm
Yeah you must practice your serve, but not just practice, you must focus on all your body movements, etc, when you practice.

At first, when I practiced, I just throw the ball up and go. Serving like that in practice seemed okay, the serve just works. The serve "feels right" and works the way it should. My mind was blank, I just throw the ball up and go. Then I would go to tournaments and it wouldn't work the same because I was nervous and lost that "right feel".

This happened because I didn't intentionally focus on all the different aspects of my serve when practicing. Notice what position you are in, how high you toss the ball, where exactly you toss to and make contact with the racket, etc. Notice all the aspects of your serve when you practice, then when you play in tournaments you'll be able to execute much better because you're not relying on the "feel" anymore, you actually know what you're doing.
pimpmyracket View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pimpmyracket Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2006 at 11:49pm
Also take note of where you want the first bounce and second bounce to be. Also take note of your arm position, starting and ending. Take note of everything!
timtex37 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote timtex37 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2006 at 11:19am
Hey, I just recently experienced the same problem, I'm not great but i can play decent, during my first little club tourament, I totally forgot how to serve like I never served before. I was sure that it was nervousness that caused that since everything became more serious instead of fun.
O! Ju Qian View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote O! Ju Qian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2006 at 1:37pm
Same here and depending where you play also affects you dramatically.  Learn how to befriend the people and place in which you are playing in. 
BL: Yasaka Extra Offensive CP
FH: Hurricane 3 Pro
BH: Tenergy 05

"Practice is USELESS if you don't understand what you are doing."
strivewind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote strivewind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/03/2006 at 1:53pm
it happens to me when i want to play serious or compete.  i think the more you play in that mode, you will get use to it and it will not be a problem anymore.  In my case, when I first started playing $1 per game, I would play poorly.  When I'm not play $1, I can perform normally, my serve, forehand and backhand all worked.  As time go by it is just another match.  Dont put too much pressure on yourself.  There is nothing wrong.
goldberg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldberg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2006 at 8:07am
Originally posted by ssiew968 ssiew968 wrote:

Recently I play in a local tournament. My usual weapon of forehand serve and then attack failed miserably. Reason being I was somehow unable to serve using forehand. It's kind of weird as I just dont have the feel when I serve and thus all my supposingly spinny serve become just like no-spin serve.

From my frens' advice and my own analysis, it was due to following:-

1) Focus too much on serving esp on my wrist. Thus somehow it wasnt working anymore.

2) My fren told me that it was not my hand that gave me problem. More of my waist was not turning and thus the coordination btw my wrist and waist all go haywire.

3) Nervousness as I kept wanted to serve better. Muscle then became tight.

Anyone who have such experience before? What is your advice? Thank you.

always training , join the tournament, search new partner
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2006 at 6:21pm

I would like to offer a couple of observations.  First, as your serves become more advanced, esp in terms of short height barely clearing the net but also with spins and short/long placement, they become more sensitive to changes in conditions.  When you were serving an inch above the net it didn't really matter so much. 

Second, what kind of table are you practicing on versus tournament play.  At home my cheap table is fast and not very grippy.  Then when I get to a tournament and a nice table I have to make a big adjustment.  My backspins grab a lot more and tend to sit up or even fall short.  So I try to serve an occasional very tight serve when I "feel it" and the rest of the time I'll settle with a safe height and length.

Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Patmandidily View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Patmandidily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/06/2006 at 2:31am
ssiew - don't think about service technique. In order to serve perfectly, you have to be very loose and confident. However, this is difficult in every match, especially close ones. Try starting with your A serves; your best ones you use when you are comfortable. If you don't feel confident in these, you should have your B serves; your less spinny serves that always land and you always feel comfortable with. If you ever miss two or more serves in one game, go to your B serves.
Blade - Bastian Steger Flared (Butterfly)
Rubber - Sriver 2.1 FH
              802-40 2.2 BH

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kmh888 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/28/2006 at 12:26pm

I once had that, I served and the ball either went to long or to high....

I found all I had to do was loosen up, think about the spin on the ball, dont think about the service action.

Gatien Extra
FH: Hurricane Provincial
BH: Palio CJ800 Speed

Special thick glue
rfinder4000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rfinder4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2006 at 1:36pm
I still remember what my coach said when I played junior tournament 15 years ago. He said just loosing up and just look at the ball in your hand, do your simple and easy underspin right-hand chop first, focus on placement and position, create a lot of spin. After that, when you feel comtable and gain confident with the table, the spin, the crowd, the noise, and everything else. Then step up and try your trick serve. If something happen, then go back start the easy chop server again and gain confindent back. I still do that on my very first sever everytime I play.
thunderspin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thunderspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2006 at 2:50pm
my advice will be to give better spin on side spin service..use ur wrist to give spin it may work..
blade:stiga op carbo
fh:TG SKYLINE-3
bh: BRYCE FX
agni View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2007 at 4:43am
I have a good serve and I do very well in tournaments with my serve . The reason is that I take time when performing the serve . I think how the opponent has returned & what he is good at . Also I have volatile action & this action increases in the matches . The wrist action is fast & the hand swing comes from behind . It is like toss the ball , swing the hand behind and then bring it back & graze the ball from the corner of the racket . When you are nervous this back swing would be missing , which would reduce the level of speed , spin . When 10-9 up I rarely lose as I bring the best serve in .
Also the reverse fh side spin/bspin is a great for right hand player as the normal return would drop at your fh ready position for a good loop or a loop kill .
It is much better than bh side spin as you need to go back to fh ready position .
The fh side spin normally comes back at my back hand which makes me do a bh loop or push which is not that powerfull as fh loop.
applegreen allplay senso v1

FH yasaka mark v 2.0
BH Sriver FX 2.0

louison12 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote louison12 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2007 at 7:37am
My suggestion is to avoid caffeine. Give it at least four weeks to see if you get results. In my case I noticed improvement after two weeks, admittedly so far it has been a total of only about four, I wish I could say "I've had great results for a whole year." But it sounds like similar symptoms for me -- losing feel, and having problems with topspin serves.

There is a small amount of caffeine even in decaffeinated coffee and chocolate. So if you drink decaf, do it in moderation.
Mark V, 2.0/2.0
Allround Classic WRB
sunny View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sunny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2007 at 1:29pm

Originally posted by louison12 louison12 wrote:

My suggestion is to avoid caffeine. Give it at least four weeks to see if you get results. In my case I noticed improvement after two weeks, admittedly so far it has been a total of only about four, I wish I could say "I've had great results for a whole year." But it sounds like similar symptoms for me -- losing feel, and having problems with topspin serves.

There is a small amount of caffeine even in decaffeinated coffee and chocolate. So if you drink decaf, do it in moderation.

That goes back to saying be well rested and stretch yourself so that you are warmed up, relaxed and not tired.

If possible practice at the tournament location before the match to warm up to the place and get comfortable in rolling out serves like you do at your practice location.

When you are nervous take deep breaths and don't rush into serving quickly, think your serve before you serve.

Rest there are good comments in early posts.

hubie60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hubie60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2007 at 10:15am

Play practice points during your tournament warm-up or even short practice games. This will help you duplicate match conditions and will force you to practise your best service at the tournament venue.

Also, remember not to rush your serve. Some players hurry through their service and end up serving without the right body balance. The resulting body balance shifts throws off the serve. Lastly, remember you don't have to clobber the ball to get big spin.

Good luck in 2007

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic