Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RPB with short pimples?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ranger-man View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ranger-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPB with short pimples?
    Posted: 12/12/2018 at 3:45pm
How about penhold with medium pips on the forehand? Can that work. I usually play with one-ply Jpen blades and my preferred rubber is tacky or semi-tacky Chinese rubbers on them, such as 729 FX Super. My rubber was nearing the stage where I knew I needed to replace it so at the end of the session I just peeled it off, thinking I would put on a new on and play with it the next day. I got busy, did not get the time to do that so I just picked up another blade I had which has Sriver in Max on one side and Gambler Peacekeeper OX on the other. 

But when I got to the club I started hitting with the OX instead of the inverted side. And it was fun!
I loved the strong chops, the amazing blocks and was still able to do spinny loops and spinny serves. And then there was the added advantage of the reduced reaction to incoming spin.
I want to try it again tomorrow. So, my question. is medium pips on the FH any good. Btw, for me FH or BH is the same since I don't do RPB. The blade I used is a Yinhe M6 Cpen. 

Would medium pips work on a one-ply blade as well?
Darker Speed 90 10mm: Dawei IQUL
Ahinoki Lutz Spruce Jpen: 729 SuperFX

Member:
1-ply Hinoki Club
Violin/Acoustic Clan

The speed of a Rhino and the power of a Gazelle!
Sponsored Links

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2018 at 8:24am
Hi what rubber is your cpen clubmate using?
kumn812 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kumn812 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2018 at 4:06am
feel good everytime flat hit with short pips RPB
BTY JPI-S,cypress-s,kokutaku kiwami no1 x2,darker speed90 x2,cypress-s-10mm
TSP special dynam,Yasaka aries
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by 42andbackpains 42andbackpains wrote:

In my opinion shortpips on the backhand is more like a very slow inverted rubber with the advantage of incoming spin from the oppenent being negated to a certain point. First thing is that you will notice is the serve return is easier but then you will notice there is no catapult effect of the modern day inverted rubbers when performing normal strokes. All power is generated by you. All modern day strokes can be done with short pips, looping, opening flicks and hitting. As i have learned from Shao Yu (Former US Team member and plays short pips attacking style on the bh) One thing which you must learn to master is to hit through incoming underspin or sidespin serves or serve returns that are above the net. This is probably the major advantage of short pips. Get a good coach or someone above 2000 to teach you the art of short pips on the backhand. Luckily my club has a couple fellas that use it on there bh(Shakehand and Cpen). Welcome to the darkside Smile

+1

I have a Sp & LP penhold I like to bust out because it's fun and I love the twiddling style.

On service receive, I use to always twiddle to LP and return with that only. Well last week I experimented with occasionally RPBing a serve return with the SP on the backhand. Over the table loop. It works and can be done. What you miss out on spin compared to inverted you can make up for in that the spin of the serve doesn't effect you as much.

That's for service return (namely short serves) only if you're looking to over the table loop or those. In a general rally or anything off the table I think one would struggle there wishing they had inverted on that RPB.

So can it be done in certain situations? Sure. But overall I wouldn't recommend it.

Edited by suds79 - 08/11/2016 at 3:58pm
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/11/2016 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by buffalowings buffalowings wrote:

Has anyone experimented this? CPen with H3 forehand and short pips for Backhand

Mainly using flat hitting or hitting through downspin unless it really low and spin.

I moved to SP (802-40) on my YEO cpen FH with inverted (TSP Agrit Speed) for RPB. After playing for a month, still unable to adjust SP on my forehand I decided to reverse the rubbers and tried SP for RPB. To my suprise it played really well. I could place my RPB strokes very accurately and flicks became very effective. I believe spinny pips like 802-40, Dolphin, TSP Super Spinpips, etc. can work effectively for RPB. Never used Spectol or 802 so don't know how they'll behave on RPB
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2016 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by buffalowings buffalowings wrote:

Mainly using flat hitting or hitting through downspin unless it really low and spin.

I think using rpb to flat hit and hit through under is doable but it is a very awkward stroke unless the ball is high... Just my experience

You might be better off with something like gambler outlaw a fast but less skinny rubber(I know it is still spinny)

Edited by JohnnyChop - 04/15/2016 at 9:25pm
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
42andbackpains View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 42andbackpains Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2016 at 1:27pm
In my opinion shortpips on the backhand is more like a very slow inverted rubber with the advantage of incoming spin from the oppenent being negated to a certain point. First thing is that you will notice is the serve return is easier but then you will notice there is no catapult effect of the modern day inverted rubbers when performing normal strokes. All power is generated by you. All modern day strokes can be done with short pips, looping, opening flicks and hitting. As i have learned from Shao Yu (Former US Team member and plays short pips attacking style on the bh) One thing which you must learn to master is to hit through incoming underspin or sidespin serves or serve returns that are above the net. This is probably the major advantage of short pips. Get a good coach or someone above 2000 to teach you the art of short pips on the backhand. Luckily my club has a couple fellas that use it on there bh(Shakehand and Cpen). Welcome to the darkside Smile
Mind is willing, but the back goes out too often :P
OSP Ultimate II 88 grams
FH Dianchi D w/ Secret Sauce
BH Butterfly T05 Red
USATT rating keeps going down
skip3119 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skip3119 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2016 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

Zhou XinTong (I think that's her name) uses Sp on her rpb... She is lp fh tho
================
+100

FH:  Dawei 388D-1 Quattro.  (LP)
BH:  TSP Spectol.  (SP) For RPB.

This is how she plays:  Purple shirt player.
https://youtu.be/th2OqDSBsRc

skip3119
buffalowings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buffalowings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2016 at 12:52pm
actually was considering using moristo SP which is softer and some friction.

but kind of think the harder ones are easier to hit through now
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/15/2016 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by JohnnyChop JohnnyChop wrote:

Play with spectol dont know what version
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2016 at 6:55pm
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2016 at 5:36pm
In my opinion it´s not a good idea. Using a SP instead of an inverted in RPB you would loose some weapons such as opening topspin or counterloop at mid distance.
rick_ys_ho View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rick_ys_ho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2016 at 4:42pm
I don't think it is a good fit. Hitting with short pips requires the paddle to be opened up, however with RPB grip backhand side of the paddle tends to be more closed, which is better for brushing than for hitting.
buffalowings View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buffalowings Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/14/2016 at 10:34am

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic