Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Videos like this help our sport!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Videos like this help our sport!
    Posted: 04/26/2016 at 12:10pm

http://youtu.be/5mZRxA_qxdA

Idk if this has been posted before but...
more videos like this would help our sport promote itself so much more.
It takes away from what some people consider is wrong with the sport and shows true elite level of athleticism, elegance, and high quality of play.

It is simply beautiful.... :tear:

I suggest opening the link and watching in highest quality.

Enjoy

Edited by DreiZ - 04/26/2016 at 12:33pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
Sponsored Links

The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2016 at 12:35pm
just saying...All content is the copyright of TMS International, on behalf of the International Table Tennis Federation. Images may not be reproduced without prior approval from the TMS/ITTF.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2016 at 12:42pm
It's not my video so....
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2016 at 1:46pm
I think one of the keys to making TT popular on television is to NOT broadcast events live.  Having time for detailed slow motion replays and for commentators to have reviewed points in slow motion so that they can explain what actually happened brings new appreciation for the sport.  The contrast between how fast the sport seems in real speed and how intricate it seems in slow motion is striking.  I loved the video where William Henzell analyzed one of his matches with live action and slow motion replays.  Of course this kind of post-production is costly so maybe it just can not be done routinely.  As technology gets better maybe we could get to some kind of live-delayed broadcast where a 15 min match could be started live, but slow motion replays included so that the broadcast would go 30 to 40 min.  Not as good as having time for commentators to review and develop comments at their leisure, but better than nothing.

Mark
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2016 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I think one of the keys to making TT popular on television is to NOT broadcast events live.  Having time for detailed slow motion replays and for commentators to have reviewed points in slow motion so that they can explain what actually happened brings new appreciation for the sport.  The contrast between how fast the sport seems in real speed and how intricate it seems in slow motion is striking.  I loved the video where William Henzell analyzed one of his matches with live action and slow motion replays.  Of course this kind of post-production is costly so maybe it just can not be done routinely.  As technology gets better maybe we could get to some kind of live-delayed broadcast where a 15 min match could be started live, but slow motion replays included so that the broadcast would go 30 to 40 min.  Not as good as having time for commentators to review and develop comments at their leisure, but better than nothing.

Mark
 Well... I share your sentiment, but to say that detailed professional analysis of slo mo would help promote our sport is a stretch. Sure we like it because we already love the sport, but others probably enjoy some fiery action more (like a good dance, you know...) rather than a detailed talk about of how that 5th ball attack traveled to the elbow area.

Edited by JacekGM - 04/26/2016 at 9:40pm
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/26/2016 at 10:31pm
I do think most people would feel more involved if they saw a full speed point then were given a comment about watching for something in the slow motion replay and then watched for that item during the slow motion replay.  Asking them to watch for something should create more of a participatory nature to the event and hopefully that keeps them more interested. 

If the analysis got too detailed it could easily be worse than no analysis at all for the general public.  Some points would not need much more than "Just watch the incredible athleticism in that Fh to Fh exchange".  Other points might involve much more detail such as describing how the winning shot was actually set up with a certain play 2 shots earlier.

Mark

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2016 at 12:06am

I do think most people would feel more involved if they saw a full speed point then were given a comment about watching for something in the slow motion replay and then watched for that item during the slow motion replay.  Asking them to watch for something should create more of a participatory nature to the event and hopefully that keeps them more interested. 

If the analysis got too detailed it could easily be worse than no analysis at all for the general public.  Some points would not need much more than "Just watch the incredible athleticism in that Fh to Fh exchange".  Other points might involve much more detail such as describing how the winning shot was actually set up with a certain play 2 shots earlier.

Mark

I'm with you Mark, which has me concerned.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2016 at 12:45am
Mts388,

Be scared, be very scared.

Of course even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then, so maybe I just accidentally stumbled on a good idea.  In the future I will try very hard to avoid coming up with any ideas with which you might agree.

Mark

Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2016 at 2:02am

Of course even a blind squirrel finds an acorn every now and then, so maybe I just accidentally stumbled on a good idea. 
I've watched the video - from start to finish - and I just can't see a squirrel anywhere, blind or otherwise.  What am I missing?
monklife View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monklife Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2016 at 9:19am
Yes, and games like the one below hurt our sport.  While it's clear there is a skill involved, watching a contest of "third ball attacks" is boring.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VPZ8xbjuF8

Edited by monklife - 04/27/2016 at 9:21am
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL

FH: Tenergy 64 1.9

BH: Tenergy 64 1.9
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2016 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by monklife monklife wrote:

Yes, and games like the one below hurt our sport.  While it's clear there is a skill involved, watching a contest of "third ball attacks" is boring.

Butler being like 200 points above Shuja is why this video is basically a compilation of Butler's 1/3rd ball attack.
jrscatman View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jrscatman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2016 at 11:47pm
I think we need to start using multiple balls like in Tennis. So most of the match time is not spent picking up balls.
Butterfly MPS
FH: Donic Acuda S1
BH: Palio CK531A OX
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2016 at 1:04am
Originally posted by IanMcg IanMcg wrote:

Originally posted by monklife monklife wrote:

Butler being like 200 points above Shuja is why this video is basically a compilation of Butler's 1/3rd ball attack.

Check out that fancy foot work too: http://youtu.be/6VPZ8xbjuF8?t=2m57s

Edited by obesechopper - 04/28/2016 at 1:04am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic