FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

NINE (9) by BBC

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: NINE (9) by BBC
    Posted: 04/27/2016 at 12:39pm
NINE (9)

Why does this new blade from Charlie have 9 plies? It’s simple, 9 is an amazing number! There are 9 Supreme Court Judges, Cats have 9 lives, the Solar System has 9 planets, Beethoven completed 9 Symphonies, and now there is a 9-ply blade that plays as good as it looks, so we decided the best name for this amazing blade was just simply to call it “NINE”.

The 5 plies of wood which consist of outer plies of Hinoki, combined with a Bombax core, white Koto, and 4 nanotech carbon layers provide a balance of power and resonance that add up to an Offensive blade that has the speed and control required for today’s Offensive-minded players.

The 5 plies of wood which consist of outer plies of Hinoki, combined with a Bombax core, white koto, and 4 nanotech carbon layers provide a balance of power and resonance that add up to an Offensive blade that has the speed and control required for today’s Offensive-minded players.

The 2 paragraphs above are a little write-up I put together for a new blade by Charlie. He sent me one to test a few weeks ago with a flared handle and so I gave it a try. It had a very different feel from the Flashdrive blade I usually play with (one of Charlie's blades), but I liked it so I kept playing with it. It weighed 89 grams and the flared handle was just a little larger than I normally play with so I sanded it down a little. I got the blade just a couple of weeks before I had a tournament to play in so I didn't want to switch blades, but there was just something about the feel of it that kept me from putting it down. On the night before the tournament I went down to the club to play with the Flashdrive one more time to make up my mind which blade/setup I would play with. I played well with the Flashdrive but I made up my mind that night that I would play the next day in the Open Singles/Doubles with this new blade (that didn't have a name yet), and I wouldn't go back. It just had a better feel to it, and a few of the other high-level players I play with also said they would choose it over the Flashdrive. So I played with it and won my group by beating a 2160 - 2200 player, then advanced to the Quarterfinals and lost deuce in the 5th to a 2200 - 2250 player. I had 2 match points but just couldn't close it out. Many people however said it was the best they had seen me play, and that for the most part I had controlled the match.
I would rate this blade as Offensive, but it has good control/dwell. My blocking was very good with it, and yet I was able to impart more spin than normal because of the softer Hinoki outer-ply. The handle is made of Bombax and it's very comfortable. I would think that any offensive players would really love this blade, especially loopers that play mid-distance. I believe Jim T also has 1 to test, so maybe he will write a review on here as well. Charlie doesn't have this blade on his website yet, but if you want one he will make it for you. His cost for this blade is $150 as it's very labor-intensive to make this blade. All I can say is it's a great blade that I really enjoy playing with!

Edited by AcudaDave - 04/27/2016 at 1:12pm
Joola Zhou Qihao 90 blade
Joola Dynaryz Inferno max - BH
Nittaku Moristo SP 2.0 - FH
Sponsored Links

Bilbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2016 at 3:20pm
How was it for your pips on fh and close to table play?  I see that you are back to your victas 102 now? 
Stiga Optimum Sync
FH: Victas VO>103
BH: der Materialspezialist Breakout 2.0
Lefty
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2016 at 3:28pm
Hey Bilbo...yeah lately I felt like my Breakout was just a little too slow, so I bought another sheet of Victas 102 in 1.8 and began playing with it again. It's faster than Breakout, but not quite as easy to attack under spin with, but in topspin rallies the Victas is easier to play with.
This new blade is fairly fast with my pips on the fh, but I was able to block really well with the short pips, and although my attacks/pushes were slightly long at first I adjusted. The 2200+ player I lost to at deuce in the 5th was a benchmark for me to test the new setup as he loops both sides and is just so consistent from the table. The fact that I pushed him to the distance and blocked/hit all his fh loops so well tells me the control is very good.
Bilbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2016 at 6:07pm
Ya I use the 102 on my forehand so I can loop a little close or mid distance when I get pushed back too.  I like the breakout on bh as it's good to flip and block with, and not as wacky to control as the 101.
Stiga Optimum Sync
FH: Victas VO>103
BH: der Materialspezialist Breakout 2.0
Lefty
Bran View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2016 at 7:32pm
Is it the 9 in the picture?

Looks like anegre rather than hinoki, and it's a straight handle, not flared, though you mentioned you had sanded it.

Could you zoom in and also add pics of the side of the blade, so the plies and composition can be seen? Thank you.
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/27/2016 at 9:59pm
Charlie made another one with a straight handle for me so that's the pic I used. I'll take some pics is the new blade when I get it tomorrow. I'll make sure to zoom in on the side.
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/28/2016 at 1:40am
I should be getting my 9 this Sunday.
BBC, SP, LP
AcudaDave View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AcudaDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 11:17am

Here is a side view of NINE, and also a pic of another NINE Charlie sent me to test that has an offset handle. The handle on the BH side of the blade is slightly longer than the handle on the FH side. According to Charlie this will reduce the speed of the BH side while increasing the speed of the FH side by having a slightly shorter handle.
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/29/2016 at 3:20pm
Originally posted by AcudaDave AcudaDave wrote:

I believe Jim T also has 1 to test, so maybe he will write a review on here as well.

Charlie sent me what he called DoubleCross - is that the same blade?

In any case, I have seriously injured myself (stupidly decided to jump over a bench... during my vacation on Azores, of all times!... and nearly broke my left ankle landing on a very non-flat surface on the other side of the said bench... stupid bench!) and will not be able to test it for a few weeks. But I promise to do it soon!
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Renol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2016 at 2:40am

Here is a side view of NINE, and also a pic of another NINE Charlie sent me to test that has an offset handle. The handle on the BH side of the blade is slightly longer than the handle on the FH side. According to Charlie this will reduce the speed of the BH side while increasing the speed of the FH side by having a slightly shorter handle.

How does this Nine blade perform as compared to LoopMaster 3.0?

Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

I believe Jim T also has 1 to test, so maybe he will write a review on here as well.

Charlie sent me what he called DoubleCross - is that the same blade?

In any case, I have seriously injured myself (stupidly decided to jump over a bench... during my vacation on Azores, of all times!... and nearly broke my left ankle landing on a very non-flat surface on the other side of the said bench... stupid bench!) and will not be able to test it for a few weeks. But I promise to do it soon! 

Did you manage to test the DoubleCross blade?

Edited by Renol - 05/26/2016 at 2:41am
Blade: DHS Long 5
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Provincial)
BH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Provincial)
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/26/2016 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by Renol Renol wrote:

Did you manage to test the DoubleCross blade?

Not yet. However, I have already started playing - despite swollen ankle - although in a very different style, without lots of moving, and using slower tackier rubbers so I don't have to run that much.

I am expecting some new rubbers - should be here in a week - then I put them on Double Cross and will test it.

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/22/2016 at 7:03pm
Review of BBC Nine

This is actually my second BBC Nine. The first one was built to a fairly standard 6.4mm thickness that I found to be too flexible and too slow for my playing style that features a lot of blocking and flat hitting. My second Nine was built to my spec of 7.0mm thick, 75g, and it is an amazing blade indeed.

"This is the fastest slow blade I've ever played with!"

That's what I told Charlie after my first day using the Nine. The blade is really unlike any other BBC blade I've used or tested over the past 5-6 years because while it exhibits a low tone and low bounce on the bare blade ball bounce test, it has gobs of speed on the top end. Read: Gears, gears, and more gears! It's also fairly linear in how that power reveals itself as more effort is put into a stroke.

I'm using Joola Rhyzm Tech (max) which is Joola's second fastest rubber. Blocks and punch drives are very effective with this setup. Flat hits are fast and accurate. And FH loopdrives and slams are usually kills. But what's most unusual is the uncanny way this paddle can stop-block: The fastest loopdrives can be stopped in their tracks with a little wrist action on impact which is unthinkable for a blade/rubber combo with this much top end speed. Short serves with high spin are easily executed. Credit the gears.

Charlie isn't sure why this particular blade design exhibits these properties but I'm sure happy he discovered it. After two years I've finally put down my trusty BBC Excalibur in favor of the new BBC Nine.

BBC, SP, LP
Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2016 at 4:52am
Originally posted by nathanso nathanso wrote:

Review of BBC Nine

My second Nine was built to my spec of 7.0mm thick, 75g, and it is an amazing blade indeed.

75g an 7mm Clap
this sounds amazing, really that light ? I'm always searching for light blades with a good amount of dwell for serves and chopping that aren't too slow.

This sounds really promising
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/04/2016 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Hell-es Hell-es wrote:

Review of BBC Nine

My second Nine was built to my spec of 7.0mm thick, 75g, and it is an amazing blade indeed.

75g an 7mm Clap
this sounds amazing, really that light ? I'm always searching for light blades with a good amount of dwell for serves and chopping that aren't too slow.

I have a NINE (Double Cross) that Charlie sent me for testing a few weeks ago. If Charlie approves, I can send it to someone else. My BBC blades are enough for me and I don't feel that DC adds something I need for my style. It weighs about 82-83 g, thickness close to 7 mm, not sure about exact number.

Let me know if anyone's interested and we will ask Charlie.

Hell-es View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hell-es Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2016 at 1:22am
Thanks for the information about the weigh, seems that the blades is really on the lighter side.

Also the bombax ceiba sounds really interessting - as I never saw someone using it for blades.

I would be interessted testing the blade, but would already be enough for me getting in contact with Charlie - as I already sent 3 emails since april, and got no reply.

I would be interessted to get, over time, a quad trip a nine and if he likes to built, a
cypress - carbon - ayous - kiri blade.
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2016 at 1:24am
My Nine has a special-order Balsa wood handle. It must be stored carefully or the wood can be dented.
BBC, SP, LP
Renol View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Renol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/05/2016 at 2:12am

Thanks for the information about the weigh, seems that the blades is really on the lighter side.

Also the bombax ceiba sounds really interessting - as I never saw someone using it for blades.

I would be interessted testing the blade, but would already be enough for me getting in contact with Charlie - as I already sent 3 emails since april, and got no reply.

I would be interessted to get, over time, a quad trip a nine and if he likes to built, a
cypress - carbon - ayous - kiri blade.

I have sent more than 5 emails since April but also no reply.

It will be better for you to look for other custom blade makers.
Blade: DHS Long 5
FH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Provincial)
BH: DHS Hurricane 3 Neo (Provincial)
nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/06/2016 at 9:55pm
AcudaDave,

I found the Nine + Rhyzm Tech to be very low/very long trajectory with the 40+ poly ball.. are you experiencing same? It was to such an extent that I switched to Baracuda Big Slam which plays higher/tighter arcs for my strokes.
BBC, SP, LP
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/07/2016 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by JimT JimT wrote:

Review of BBC Nine

75g an 7mm Clap

I have a NINE (Double Cross) that Charlie sent me for testing a few weeks ago. If Charlie approves, I can send it to someone else. My BBC blades are enough for me and I don't feel that DC adds something I need for my style. It weighs about 82-83 g, thickness close to 7 mm, not sure about exact number.

Let me know if anyone's interested and we will ask Charlie.

Well, I hope that Charlie would answer my email if I ask him. Anyways, if nobody in the US wants to buy or at least try it, I will mail it back to Charlie in a few days, some time next week.

nathanso View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nathanso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/29/2016 at 2:40pm
I see that the BBC NINE blade is finally available for purchase http://www.bladesbycharlie.com/models/nine

Edited by nathanso - 07/31/2016 at 7:49pm
BBC, SP, LP
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic