Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Transcending Levels

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transcending Levels
    Posted: 05/01/2016 at 3:59am
I've been a basement player my whole life. Pick up a paddle here and there, but nothing ever consistent. Well, over the last 6 months I really have gotten back into it, and I want to get better. My goal right now is to become a half way decent club player. Right now I'm pretty much always the worst person there. 

I am a penholder, which it seems leaves me with a bit less of an opportunity to get instruction in general. I have a club I go to about an hour away. I can only go 1 time a week at best. (I have a very demanding job as well as 5 kids so I can't do a ton of traveling) I have a table at home with a v300 ipong robot. 

I have a couple of guys here in town that play, but they are not super reliable. They like to play, but they don't have the drive I have to want to get better. We used to be the same level, but since I purchased my robot and have been going to the club from time to time they are being left in the dust. 

I would really like to be able to compete solidly on the club level. Right now I am only just sticking my toe in the door. I can play the lower guys, but I can't even really give them that great of a match. They win probably 75% of the time. 

I've been going over online resources to learn more, but does anyone out there have any suggestions for me to take it to the next level? Taking into account I'm a penholder of course! Anyway thanks for any help you can offer me.  
Thanks!
Sponsored Links

kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 4:01am
Pingskill's youtube channel has some great instructional videos. 
dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 4:10am
Thanks. I've been scouring the internet for any resources I can get my hands on. Lots of the videos are in Chinese, but you can still watch the movements and get a good idea of what is going on. I'm kind of wondering how others on here really turned the corner to becoming a decent player. 
Thanks!
ohhgourami View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohhgourami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 5:17am
Find a decent coach and take lessons. I've been taking weekly lessons for the past couple months and have made huge improvements. I'm still a long ways from playing matches but have been laying a strong foundation.

I would really stay away from watching vids if possible. TT is all about feeling and youtube can't teach you that. You need immediate feedback or you're on the way down the wrong path. Good luck erasing bad habits once it's ingrained.
Custom Walnut 7-ply
DHS H3 Provincial untuned 40°
BTY T64
210g
dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 5:38am
This may sound weird, but are there any online coaches? I'm pretty rural and don't have access to a solid club or training staff. I use the guys at the club as much as I can to learn, but they want to play and not always be training my sorry butt. Anyway thanks guys.
Thanks!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 8:32am
There is a site with a lot of resources called TTEdge.com 

Brett Clarke is one of the main people involved.  He is exactly what you are looking for.  He is Australian, so coaching is in English.  A nice guy and also quite funny too.  There are some threads about the online coaching he offers on this forum and also at Table Tennis Daily.com 

See here for example.  http://www.tabletennisdaily.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?11240-TTEdge-Executing-Table-Tennis-Shots-Series!

Brett is a member of this forum so if you send him a PM you can get more information.  Some members here have said that his on-line coaching here has helped them improve a lot.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 8:37am
There are several on-line coaching sites.

www.pingskills.com - If you subscribe to the premium service it has videos, training programs, and some ability to get individual feed back.

www.ttedge - For the premium service they have a very nice series of videos of beginning players that show correct form, common mistakes, a training plan that can be done alone or against a robot, and they will review videos that you send into them and comment back to you.  Their emphasis on beginners and training by yourself with shadowing or simple robot training might be a good fit for you.

www.sampsondubina.com - Sampson Dubina who is well known American player and now coach offers lessons by video and by skype.  He has plans for people who need to train more or less alone using a robot.  He actually found himself in this situation in his playing career and did much of his training against a robot.

There are probably others, but these are the ones that came to mind when I read your last comment.

Even though you are a penhold player, much of the basic stuff applies to both shake-hand and penhold play.  Physics dictate how a ball reacts to contact with the paddle and it does not care how you hold the racket.  A given blade angle and  swing plane (path) produce the same results for a penhold grip or a shake-hand grip.  There are slight differences in how you have to  position your arm to get the same angles and swing plane for the two grip systems, but if you concentrate on matching the swing path and blade angle from a shake-hand video it should give you a pretty good result with a penhold grip.  Of course for more advanced play there are specialized techniques that are unique to the penhold style.

Good luck.

Mark

Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 9:44am
I know that you have a demanding job, but try and get to tournaments. You'll always find someone to knock with and give advice. You'll also get loads of ideas.
Also, get to a training camp. Same benefits as going to tournaments. Try and get the family to come along as a family holiday.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 1:35pm
Tell us where you live and one of us may know a player in your area that is also looking for a practice partner.

I also live in a rural area, but being retired and with the kids out of the house I drive about 20,000+ miles a year for table tennis.
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 1:45pm
aerial View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 1:45pm
double post...

Edited by aerial - 05/01/2016 at 1:45pm
dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 2:28pm
Great ideas guys. I'm out of Hermiston, OR. There is a club in Spokane, WA that does tournaments I plan on going to as soon as the schedule permits.
Thanks!
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by dmoney dmoney wrote:

Great ideas guys. I'm out of Hermiston, OR. There is a club in Spokane, WA that does tournaments I plan on going to as soon as the schedule permits.

Is the club you go to the Tri cities club in Richland?
dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2016 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

Is the club you go to the Tri cities club in Richland?

Yes it is. It is not too well attended, but everyone is really nice and there are some pretty good players. Light years beyond me at this point.  
Thanks!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 10:34am
One of our newest members comes from a very distinguished noble family.

dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 12:59pm
Ha ha indeed. Just make sure you pronounce it correctly!
Thanks!
ndotson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ndotson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2016 at 7:33pm

Hi dmoney, I run the club in Spokane that does tournaments. Hope to see you there sometime. Drop me a line if you ever want to come up and do some training.
Korbel
H3 / Curl P1
Vince64 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vince64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2016 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by ndotson ndotson wrote:

Hi dmoney, I run the club in Spokane that does tournaments. Hope to see you there sometime. Drop me a line if you ever want to come up and do some training.
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread entering and playing tournaments. The next tournament somewhat close to you is the Rose City Open June 11th in Beaverton, OR. Tournament information can be found at omnipong.com also the Spokane table tennis club has monthly non sanctioned tournament the first Saturday of every month.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic