Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Performance Tracking?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Interactive Performance Tracking?
    Posted: 05/02/2016 at 10:44am
Real-time Interactive Performance Tracking?

Edited by LOOPMEISTER - 05/02/2016 at 10:46am
Sponsored Links

LOOPMEISTER View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOOPMEISTER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 10:54am
[vimeo]https://vimeo.com/161672022[/vimeo]
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 11:09am
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75352&PN=1#93051

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 05/02/2016 at 11:09am
TableTennisMenice View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TableTennisMenice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2016 at 11:51am
It seems like the technology and the idea is there, but regardless it has a long way to go to get rid of all the kinks. 

Here's a few problems I noticed with the video.

The video camera commonly mistakes the paddle for the ball. 
There is a slight delay in time between projecting where the ball is going and when it's actually getting there. 
It seems like it would be confusing especially when playing in a dark environment. 
The camera system seems like it may very easily get in the way, it might also need a lot of fine tuning to get into the correct spot.
At the speed that a lot of professionals play at, a really fast computer will be needed to keep up with the very fast speeds of the ball. 
Here's what I would love to see happen with this program in the future.

A big problem a lot of players seem to notice is that you have to play in the dark. Maybe in the future a table can be made translucent while still maintaining the accurate bounce and grip as the regular tables. Hopefully the lighting system can be one that isn't too bright or hard on the eyes yet is still readable and distinguishable. I would love to see something along the lines of how a Kindle Paperwhite works. 

I'm not sure if this particular program has any kind of distance recognition. (one similar to Xbox kinect cameras and self driving car cameras) I would, however, love to be able to see difference of stats according to things such as "Average ball height over net in correspondence to points lost" Or something along those lines. Such technologies will be able to add a whole new level of statistical representation to the game, especially at a professional level. If this technology can be incorporated at a professional level I think it would be intreiguing to a lot of players to see who hits the fastest, or who plays the lowest shots, or maybe who serves the shortest serves and things along that nature. I feel as if this would add a new component to table tennis that a lot of other sports have already. Being able to show statistical differences among players would be more intriguing to not only players, but spectators as well. It also gives more stats for spectators to spew out as well, whereas right now we esentially just have stats like wins, rating, play against a certain person, etc. There are just simply too many different aspects to the game that are trackable by humans. In my opinion, I feel like the program would create a new level to the game that everyone could appreciate. The only problem I forsee would be the placement of the projector. Rather than being vertically above the table, I could see it being at or around where the umpires sit. 

I would also love to see better ball tracking. I don't have many ideas for this but realistically it would be difficult to have a computer/camera track such a small ball that is moving extremely fast. I could see possibly a color recognition system in which the camera tracks white, or possibly yellow being the better option. (except for the fact they don't make yellow balls right now) Red and black rubbers could also be tracked on a color basis as well, the only problem is with color being so variant in players uniforms it can easily mess up the system.
My next suggestion would be to impart some kind of proccessing chips that can be tracked with movement. Such a chip could probably weigh next to nothing, especially with today's technology. The chip could be placed on the top of the blade where it wont be affected, or possibly be built into the blade in the manufacturing proccess. 

Now, these ideas may sound far fetched, especially with how new this technology is, but self driving cars sounded impossible 10 years ago, but we are practially almost there.  I would expect to see this technology at a very professional level (like the olympic games) because if and when it does exist, it will probably be very pricey. Let me know what you guys think or if you have any ideas you want to add on. Some of those ideas could very well be acknowledged and incorporated into the new system. 
Table Tennis till I die.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic