Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Advice on serves for beginner/ low intermediate
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on serves for beginner/ low intermediate

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice on serves for beginner/ low intermediate
    Posted: 05/16/2016 at 4:39pm
I've been having real problems trying to improve my serves to a decent level. Cry

I've watched most if the TTEdge videos on how to get the wrist working like a whip so that maximum spin is imparted but it doesn't seem to be paying off. Also, I don't really want to spend that much of my playing time practicing serves. What would you recommend as a serving technique that doesn't require the wrist to snap like a whip? I've tried punch serves and tomahawks but these are always returned with ease by half-decent players. Plus these serves probably also require the same whip-effect which I seem unable to create. 

Easy-to-learn, relatively effective serve technique suggestions? 
Sponsored Links

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2016 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

I've been having real problems trying to improve my serves to a decent level. Cry

I've watched most if the TTEdge videos on how to get the wrist working like a whip so that maximum spin is imparted but it doesn't seem to be paying off. Also, I don't really want to spend that much of my playing time practicing serves. What would you recommend as a serving technique that doesn't require the wrist to snap like a whip? I've tried punch serves and tomahawks but these are always returned with ease by half-decent players. Plus these serves probably also require the same whip-effect which I seem unable to create. 

You don't need to practice serves at all.  Just accept that you will always be a low level player.
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2016 at 5:04pm
you need to check point of contact. i couldn't loop until i released while i was doing the motion i was making contact before my arm accelerated properly. so i was making the right motion but because i would hit it early in the swing i didnt get the spin. maybe you do the whip but you're either 1.) hitting the ball before the whip you should hit it at the top speed. 2.) hitting the serve too much no brushing.

just a guess 
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2016 at 5:29pm
Serves are definitely difficult to discuss on a forum.  You might want to look at some videos of the backhand serves of some of the Asian women professionals.  I am thinking particularly of the one that uses a large side-ways motion (not the one that is more "U"shaped.  The Bh serves use less of the wrist snap than the Fh serves.  Also this sideways swing type Bh serve is very good for serving fast long serves which are very useful at the beginner level.   The more "U" shaped one can be a very deceptive serve, but is a little more difficult to execute since it requires some very quick and subtle changes in the racket direction at the bottom of the "U".

One of the ways to get in extra serving practice is to play an entire match serving only one serve.  As the match goes on your opponent will get better at returning it and you will need to get better at keeping it low, fast if long, and landing at the proper distance.  When playing a weaker player, this is a good way to make them play as if they were higher rated.  You can also practice one simple variation for the whole match.  Something like alternating short under and short no-spin serves.  Or short side-top and long side-top. 

I would suggest focusing on keeping serves low and controlling depth.  For depth control I mean landing long serves within 6 in of end-line and landing short serves so that the 2nd bounce is 6 in from the end-line or just barely off the end of the table.  Keep working on making the swing faster and the contact more grazing in order to maximize your spin.  Getting a fast swing with grazing contact early is important so that you do not need to re-learn your depth control all over again when you find you want more spin on your serves against better players.

Mark
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2016 at 7:39pm
Spin is only one element. Learn to serve a dead ball short and long fast and mix that with an average backspin. You should be able to start most points with an advantage. Consider placement as a focus.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2016 at 8:08pm
You could look up some videos of Li Kewei.  He has a fairly simple looking Fh serve that I think does the underspin-no spin combinations really well.  He is a modern defender, but he does 3rd ball attack behind what appears to be a dead serve that is often popped up.  There is some wrist whip, buy it does not appear to be nearly as much as in Brett Clarke's serving videos.

What he is doing is probably a lot more complicated than I think, but at least it seems less complicated than lots of the serves I see being used.   Very slight blade angle changes, tip vs handle contact, and a motion that hides he racket until just before contact so that it is harder to see the changes he makes.

Mark
The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/16/2016 at 8:15pm

Since you're in Vietnam, I would recommend you to get a coach. It's cheap and effective. You can easily find a coach at 2300+ USATT level at any big city. If you don't speak Vietnamese then it may be tricky, though.
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2016 at 12:28am
RockSoul: You're right, coaching here is very affordable. For a while I was taking 4 or even 5 lessons a week but I've just stopped. Hopefully will find a new coach soon. I don't speak too much Vietnamese but I think I'll still benefit. 

Mark: Thanks, I had a look at that Li Kewei's forhand serve and will try it out. His unusual bending of the wrist prior to starting his serving motion could be interesting. 
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2016 at 10:39am
Maybe you need a grip change? Shake hand pendulum serves can be quite difficult to perform unless you are using the three finger grip. 
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2016 at 12:46pm
This video was very helpful to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldheZbxGWlQ
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2016 at 12:58pm
There is an absolutely wonderful video on one serve. It repeats the same serve many times with different cameras focusing on different parts, e.g. lower part of the body vs. upper part of the body, with explanation. The other cool thing is that it shows you the serve isn't really finished with the serve, it shows you how to get into position for the next ball.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTM0MTE2MTc0NA==.html

When I saw it, I immediately realized I had gotten so much wrong about serving (and I'd reached 2100 in the past doing it all wrong).
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/17/2016 at 1:12pm
What I like about table tennis is how willing people are to help each other.

That said, OP needs to post video to get proper feedback. Otherwise, mts388 has nailed it on the head - he just isn't serious about table tennis.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/18/2016 at 8:56pm
First 3 shots are the most important, and is the reason why Europeans are so far behind the Chinese. Timo Boll was quite the exception. 

Serving well is not about the wrist. It's not about any one part of the body. Just like every other shot in table tennis, it's about the ability to generate power from the whole body and focusing it on the moment of contact. People who just flick their wrists don't know what they're doing and soon end up with wrist injuries. Each part of the body, i.e. the legs, waist, torso, arm, wrist, fingers, all have to generate power together in a fluid manner. 

As for the serves themselves, learn to serve long before serving short. 

This is something that's repeatedly emphasized in China. It's important to be able to serve long serves well first, because not only are long serves harder to return for amateur players, but they can also vastly improve your quality and ball feeling on the short serves. In fact, when I went to ICC, supposedly one of the best clubs in Northern California, most of the kids there who are training 4-5 days a week (or so I've heard) receive long serves quite terribly compared to how they received short serves. Give them a short serve, and they can push, flick, banana, etc. But give them long ones, and they start missing shots left and right. 

Even Ma Long practices his serves daily, so you should do it too. LOL
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2016 at 6:37am
Thanks for the video Ian, I think I've almost understood what Schlager is trying to explain. Need to actually experience myself doing it to be sure though. 

Sandiway, that page doesn't seem to load. Lots of pages don't though in Vietnam. 

Blahness, I am doing the three finger grip. Or am I? (Gets out paddle to check...) Well, more of a index finger and thumb grip actually. Is that what you mean?

As for videos, I'd be more than happy to upload some. I've just reviewed the first videos of me playing and was quite shocked to how different my form looks than I'd imagined. Especially forehand loops and fast fh serves are nothing as I'd imagined. I won't upload those but will be more than happy to share the next video of my serves that I take. 

Thanks a lot for all the advice :)
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2016 at 8:38am

Thanks for the video Ian, I think I've almost understood what Schlager is trying to explain. Need to actually experience myself doing it to be sure though. 

Sandiway, that page doesn't seem to load. Lots of pages don't though in Vietnam. 

Blahness, I am doing the three finger grip. Or am I? (Gets out paddle to check...) Well, more of a index finger and thumb grip actually. Is that what you mean?

As for videos, I'd be more than happy to upload some. I've just reviewed the first videos of me playing and was quite shocked to how different my form looks than I'd imagined. Especially forehand loops and fast fh serves are nothing as I'd imagined. I won't upload those but will be more than happy to share the next video of my serves that I take. 

The three finger grip is basically a grip where you only touch the rubber with your thumb, index and middle finger.

It looks like this

-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2016 at 9:19am

It happens to everyone - in our minds, we all think we are Ma Long looping but the reality is more brutal - body straighter than expected, little torso rotation etc. all because of bad habits picked up copying bad players for the most part, especially if you are an untrained adult.  You need videotape to improve your self-awareness as quickly as possible and it also lets people see and make up their minds what the problem is if you share it.  Even if you don't share videotape, just the self awareness it gives you is invaluable. 

It never radically changes but it gets better with practice.  Don't think most of the people commenting are radically better than you.  I know I am not.

I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2016 at 9:57am
You have a lot of good advice - including the importance of working on long serves.

Learning to put effective backspin on the ball (short serves) is really tough for some.  I often ask my students to practice at home.  Those that actually do all seem to really benefit, so maybe you can too. What I've found is that, once the contact and acceleration is figured out, it is relatively easy to tweak into spinny "real" serves.  The contact (and acceleration) can be sorted out effectively at home - you don't even need a table.  Doing this at home will free up valuable club time for other things.

Here's an example of a homework assignment (this is for fairly new players): 
  • Get a bunch of balls.  I recommend a minimum of 10, but a couple dozen is better.  Ball quality and even size is not too important at this stage.
  • From a service stance practice tossing the ball up consistently.  I like to see at least 12" high tosses, and prefer 2 feet or more at this point.  Try to get the toss consistent and vertical.  The timing and contact will come easier if your tosses are consistent.  This can be done without a paddle if you have trouble - or proceed to the next step.
  • Practice the toss some more, but now with a paddle the "ready to serve" position.  Focus on NOT lifting the paddle when you toss the ball.  It is hard for some not to "throw" both up at the same time.  Keeping the paddle steady is helpful when initially learning the touch and fine contact required.
  • Now for the fun part!  Toss the ball, then try to serve the ball up over an imaginary string that is above your contact point by at least a few inches.  Think about serving "UP" a bit.  Early on, the contact point height is not important.  When transitioning to real serves it will eventually have to move to somewhere around net height (36").  Note that the contact point can be lower or higher for some serves.
    • Try to hit the ball over the imaginary string, then, once it hits the floor, you want it to stop - or better yet, come back to you.  This is best on a carpet or rug - but works on other floors.
    • To get more spin you need fine contact and racket acceleration.  Think soft grip, wrist, and forearm...  A tight grip is generally a spin killer.
    • For more spin, have the blade path go slightly up, i.e. try to actually hit the ball a bit in front of the south pole.  Absolutely do not hit down on the ball!  Even a little!!!
    • Doing this gives you instant feedback on the spin quality.  Keep playing around until you can get the balls to bounce once, then zip back to - or past you.  Only you can sort out your particular blend of grip, toss, timing, and stroke - this drill give you plenty of repetitions to do so.
    • Once you are backing the balls up, you can play with adding some side spin and make the ball turn or do u-turns.  Have fun!  You'll see what the ball does, so, again, you have instant feedback.
    • Once you are getting consistent, thin contact and good spin start moving your contact point to around 36" - which will make transitioning to real serves on a table easier.
    • With your contact point sorted, start to play with the angle the ball comes off the blade.  Try to get similar contact, but with the ball coming off "mostly forward".  
    • Put targets on the floor at varying distances from you - say 36", 42", 48", and 54" and practice landing the ball on the targets.  Make sure you are spinning the ball well and the ball is coming off "mostly forward".  Being able to control the landing spot will lead to you being able to control the first bounce location on a real table.
  • After doing all this homework, you should be able to easily tweak what you've got when you go to the club.  Of course it will still take some work, but you will quickly be working on fine-tuning service height and the location of the first bounce.
If you work on the above stuff and still have trouble, post a video.  There are plenty here that can and will give you some input and help you sort it all out.

Good Luck!
bes
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/19/2016 at 7:59pm

Perhaps you can enter the URL into one of those websites that can download Youku videos for you for free. Even if you can't download it, maybe it can. It's a really well-made video. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic