Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Most spin from slow and thin or fast and thick?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most spin from slow and thin or fast and thick?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most spin from slow and thin or fast and thick?
    Posted: 05/29/2016 at 11:03pm
As seems to be commonplace in the TT community... I've seen this question answered in both directions!

That question being -- can you get more spin (regardless of speed) with a 'slower' and thinner rubber, than you can with a fast and thick rubber?

Chtechienne favors the very thin rubbers, and his chops are supposedly loaded with LEGENDARY spin! Then you've got guys like Joo who use thicker, much faster rubbers and they seem to impart a ton of spin themselves. 

They say slow and thin allows you to grip the ball longer and really wind up the stroke, whereas the fast/thick crowd say that the speed/sponge allow for more powerful shots and therefore more rotation on the ball. 

We're not talking about which is "easier" to use... 

So, has there ever been any conclusive evidence on which setup actually provides the most spin? And on that note, these rubbers like Juic 999 Elite Defense are rated quite slow but at the same 'spin' level as faster rubbers. Does that seem accurate? Tackiness Chop has the same spin as a tenergy, withou? etc. 

Edited by obesechopper - 05/29/2016 at 11:05pm
Sponsored Links

haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/29/2016 at 11:41pm
I think it's easier to get the highest spin with a thick sponge, but you're sacrifising the control you get with a thin sponge. If you brush hard enough you can get extreme spin with either.
Joo has an awesome forehand, which would suffer if he played with a thin sponge, as the rubber would bottom out.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
RoyPips View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyPips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/30/2016 at 2:20am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

I think it's easier to get the highest spin with a thick sponge, but you're sacrifising the control you get with a thin sponge.

I think that this is the right answer.

Choppers don't play thin sponges because of max spin, but because of control and ability to make underspin of "every" ball. With thicker sponge there are places where you just have top spin the ball the instead of chop. If top spin is not your strenght, you want thinner sponge to able to chop more.

taeny View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taeny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 12:44am
Brush stroke! If you brush and hand speed is quick then spin is there.
Thin sponges allow more control, thick sponges give more catapult, so I believe thin sponges allow more dwell and let you increase contact during brushing.
I think it will go down to personal stroke action. equipment sponge / topsheet, blade can influence, but your stroke is important.
Boogar View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boogar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/31/2016 at 10:04pm
A thick sponge will increase dwell time, ergo more spin. Or am i dead wrong?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic