Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How to keep serves short and low?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
anubhav1984 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anubhav1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How to keep serves short and low?
    Posted: 06/01/2016 at 2:03pm
All this while, I have had formidable services for the level that I play at. Almost everyone faces difficult in picking my serves the first 5 matches that they play against me. 
However, off late I have realized that in order to boost my game to the next level it is imperative that my serves be short and low and spinny as hell. Currently, there are hardly any serves that I can serve with 2 bounces on the table. 
I am not sure what I am doing wrong but somehow I can only get enough spin when I snap my wrist hard at contact. But when I snap my wrist hard, the serve is usually too fast and almost always falls off the table after first bounce. It is low but it is too fast to be contained on the table for the second drop on the opponent's side.

Any recommendations?
Butterfly Viscaria FL
FH - Undecided
BH - Undecided
Sponsored Links

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2016 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

All this while, I have had formidable services for the level that I play at. Almost everyone faces difficult in picking my serves the first 5 matches that they play against me. 
However, off late I have realized that in order to boost my game to the next level it is imperative that my serves be short and low and spinny as hell. Currently, there are hardly any serves that I can serve with 2 bounces on the table. 
I am not sure what I am doing wrong but somehow I can only get enough spin when I snap my wrist hard at contact. But when I snap my wrist hard, the serve is usually too fast and almost always falls off the table after first bounce. It is low but it is too fast to be contained on the table for the second drop on the opponent's side.

Any recommendations?

I'm the wrong person to try to answer your specific question.  But I would like to mention that low, short and half-long no-spin serves are something well worth considering.  Loading up a serve with lots of spin has the potential downside of providing energy that your opponent can then use against you. Make your opponent supply the energy with no-spin as a variation.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2016 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by anubhav1984 anubhav1984 wrote:

Any recommendations?

This article might help:

http://www.tabletenniscoaching.com/node/2408

One of the best tips I ever got on serving was that to serve short, the most important thing is where the first bounce on your opponent's side is (within a foot or a foot and a half from the net). It almost doesn't matter where the first bounce on your side is or how fast you serve. If you can consistently serve a low ball into this region, your serves will be fast and short, even if they have topspin.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Boogar View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boogar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2016 at 2:37pm
As far as i know for a long serve you let the ball contact your tablehalf near the edge and for a short one near the net.
To train spin id reccomend a sort of ghost serve that jumps back over the net. At first do it high and with a big upwards motion and then slowly progress to lower ball and a smaller motion.

Ofc contact the ball on the front side ( pointing to your opponent).
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2016 at 2:46pm
First bounce closer to the net for short serve, how close will depends on how much spin, and pace of your serve, so you need to find out for yourself, and remember the ball will bounce as high as your contact point, so contact the ball closer to the table surface to keep the bounce low.
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2016 at 5:23pm
These days, receiving a short serve is like manna from heaven. Jay got that right, in that such serves are predictable and gives the receiver loads of options to make an uncomfortable return. Practise like NL says,  and get the ball to land in the mid-third with enough spin so the ball holds up into a half long or a 2-bouncer with 2nd bounce near the edge.
It's not that difficult to learn. 200 pratice serves to get it right. 500 -1000 to get it right and fairly consistent. 10,000 practice serves to be an expert with all variations.
Start practising.Tongue
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2016 at 5:48pm
One thing you might look for is the angle of the ball flight as the ball crosses the net.  If the ball is still going slightly upward it will go higher and longer on the other side than a similar ball that crosses horizontally.   It can look like there is no way to serve lower and shorter without hitting the net.  But if you make the first bounce just a little closer to you and get it traveling horizontally over the net you can then lower the height of your contact point.  In the end you get a serve just as low over the net, but one that bounces lower and shorter on the other side.  One of my coaches actually wanted my serves to be just starting to drop (from horizontal) as they crossed the net.

Another possibility is that you are just not grazing the ball enough.  More of your wrist snap energy is going into making the ball travel forward than you need.   If you can not get thinner contact with your current motion, then the suggestion of trying to make contact slightly on the front side of the bottom of the ball will reduce he forward component of your swing and increase the spin component.

Mark
kindof99 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2016 at 6:45pm
When serving, move your paddle closer to your head.

Edited by kindof99 - 06/01/2016 at 10:06pm
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2016 at 8:13pm
From what you're describing, you seem to be good at long serves. This is excellent, as most people try to serve short from the beginning. I will give you advice opposite to what NextLevel has stated. I think the first bounce is absolutely critical to the length of your serve. Try to get your first bounce somewhere in the middle between the end-line and the net. To achieve this, don't swing any more slowly, but instead, use the same fast acceleration that you have but stop the acceleration earlier. I'm not sure what the best way to describe this is, but the key to getting great short serves is that you have to make a "stopping" motion after the violent/serving motion. If you just make the violent, accelerating motion, but fail to "stop" it, you serve will go long or even past the edge of the table. 
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/01/2016 at 11:51pm
Your bat height from the table will influence the height of the ball during your serves...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2016 at 8:01am
Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

From what you're describing, you seem to be good at long serves. This is excellent, as most people try to serve short from the beginning. I will give you advice opposite to what NextLevel has stated. I think the first bounce is absolutely critical to the length of your serve. Try to get your first bounce somewhere in the middle between the end-line and the net. To achieve this, don't swing any more slowly, but instead, use the same fast acceleration that you have but stop the acceleration earlier. I'm not sure what the best way to describe this is, but the key to getting great short serves is that you have to make a "stopping" motion after the violent/serving motion. If you just make the violent, accelerating motion, but fail to "stop" it, you serve will go long or even past the edge of the table. 

Edited by NextLevel - 06/02/2016 at 8:03am
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
MLfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MLfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2016 at 9:49am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by MLfan MLfan wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't access Youtube very well here in China.  
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/02/2016 at 2:20pm
I do a version of those Dubina serves. But I never thought of them as fast-short and slow-short serves. We learn something new everyday, thanks.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic