Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Sriver with Booster?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
caratoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caratoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sriver with Booster?
    Posted: 06/21/2016 at 3:14pm
I wasn't yet playing during the speed glue era but I've heard that sriver and mark v were amazing rubbers with glue and so I was wondering if you boosted a sriver, sriver el/fx, or mark v with say a couple layers of FTL would it be comparable to speed glue and would that be a good way to make a (somewhat cheaper) alternative for rubbers like tenergy eg. Bluefire, Vega series, Rakza, etc.?
Sponsored Links

AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2016 at 3:21pm
It's not even compared with mid range rubbers like Baracuda unboosted.

Sriver topsheet is still good but it's sponge is very dead even with booster, imo.

Also, you can find a Baracuda for 35 Euros in Europe while Sriver is 33 Euros.

Edited by AMonteiro - 06/21/2016 at 3:29pm
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2016 at 3:30pm
If you're going to "glue" Mark V choose "V30", it was made for gluing.
caratoon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caratoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2016 at 3:35pm
Interesting that sriver's sponge is still not that lively after boosting. For comparison if you have played with sriver with speed glue can you give insight on how it was compared to modern rubbers? Thanks
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2016 at 3:57pm
A totally different class.  A little swing already yields immense spin and speed.  Effortless counterlooping.  You feel power coming out of thin air.  Simply orgasmic to play with, except the smell.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2016 at 4:00pm
I suspect most of us would play the same or better w regular sriver unboosted.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2016 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by caratoon caratoon wrote:

Interesting that sriver's sponge is still not that lively after boosting. For comparison if you have played with sriver with speed glue can you give insight on how it was compared to modern rubbers? Thanks

From BTY I played with Sriver EL, Sriver FX, Bryce and Bryce FX with Speed Glue.

You can imagine how fast old classic rubbers with speed glue when top players like Waldner, Saive, Gatien, Grubba, Ma Wenge and others all used thin 5 ply allwoods that time..

Modern rubbers like Tenergy are very spinny but with very high throw to clear the net at mid distance... A speed glued Mark V was fast, spinny with lower trajectory and even at mid distance it was easy to play with..

Later came Bryce, V Stage, Torpedo, that was even faster compared to Sriver, Mark V and Coppa.

I miss that feel.. Cry
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
assam View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote assam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/21/2016 at 7:04pm
I buy them (baracuda) at 27 euros and with 2-3 layers of Falco they're just great Big smile

Edited by assam - 06/21/2016 at 7:07pm
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2016 at 3:05pm
I tested briefly a fresh pair of mark v with speed glue and I can tell mark v produced now is very different than those produced in the speed glue era, by instance a rakza 7 with toluen is ten times better than mark v, only problem is rakza will died in 3-4 Weekes completely.
icontek View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
This is FPS Doug

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote icontek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2016 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by caratoon caratoon wrote:

I wasn't yet playing during the speed glue era but I've heard that sriver and mark v were amazing rubbers with glue and so I was wondering if you boosted a sriver, sriver el/fx, or mark v with say a couple layers of FTL would it be comparable to speed glue and would that be a good way to make a (somewhat cheaper) alternative for rubbers like tenergy eg. Bluefire, Vega series, Rakza, etc.?

From the couple of different classic rubbers I've boosted with FTL (Mendo, a Mark V variant, and some different 729's) I can tell you that unless the sponge is "compatible" and "reactive" with FTL, it will be disappointing. You might get a slight speed boost, but not a monster spin boost.

There was a brief period between the speed glue ban and the modern era where boosters were legal, and manufacturers made sponges that were designed to react with various boosting compounds.

Samba NTEC was my favorite of these; it genuinely felt like speed glue (with a catch/release feeling on the ball, not super reactive to incoming spin, but great sound, decent speed boost and amazing effortless spin generation).

US1260.RC1042 . OSP Virtuoso AC: PK50 + R42
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic