Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strange Topsheet Damage

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strange Topsheet Damage
    Posted: 06/23/2016 at 12:19pm
I have been playing with a Big Dipper 38deg Black rubber for about a month.  Been using it about 2-3 days/week (rotate it with my 2nd racket to keep them similar wear).  Last night I noticed a little difference in reflection on a small section near the edge.  It looked very similar to what I have seen in the past when the entire rubber (top and sponge) gets slightly loosened from touching the table on a push.  In that case I can normally just get it back to normal by pressing down hard with my hand on the rubber while the paddle is on the table.

So I tried the pressing down thing a couple of times during the session, but it did not fix the problem.  I then gently tried to lift the whole rubber with my finger tip to see how much was loose to decide if I needed to remove the whole thing and re-glue.  I was completely surprised by what I found.  The sponge, the pips, and about 2/3 of the solid part of the topsheet stayed in place, but a very thin layer of rubber was loose.  For reference, it was about the same thickness of the original protector plastic that came on the rubber.  Never saw this before .  Anyone else experienced this?

Originally I thought the solid portion of the topsheet had separated from the pips portion.  But when I looked closer, it was more like the solid part had spit into two layers.  There was a thread a while back about the tacky layer peeling off and causing loss of the tackiness.  General reply was that there could not be a separate tacky layer on the rubber.  I now wonder if he was seeing the same delamination (if that is even the right term) I am having.

Just what I need right before Nationals is strange rubber failure problems.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 06/23/2016 at 12:21pm
Sponsored Links

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2016 at 12:29pm
I have never experienced that or seen that happen on anyone's rubber.
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2016 at 2:23pm
btw mark, what your'e referring to as the "solid part" is typically referred to as the "base sheet."  sounds like it must have been poured in two layers?

I've always suspected that some manufacturers brushed on a tacky layer after the rubber cools.  You can see the brushmarks in the tack, for example with tai chi.  Heck I had one guy upset because he thought I had brushed glue all over his tai chi.

But I'd never really thought of topsheets being poured in layers.

Edited by cole_ely - 06/23/2016 at 2:31pm
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2016 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

...General reply was that there could not be a separate tacky layer on the rubber.  I now wonder if he was seeing the same delamination (if that is even the right term) I am having.
Lo and behold.  Compound Gum Technology - the secret behind tacky rubber for 44 years.

Nothing beats seeing it in the flesh.

Whale 2 VS Whale 3

Still not a believer?

Spinart VS T64

Edited by zeio - 06/23/2016 at 4:12pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/23/2016 at 9:14pm
Fascinating, thanks
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
Reaper View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reaper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2016 at 8:25am
hello mjamja

Can you upload a picture of the rubber in question? I think i have a similar problem with my DHS skyline 3-60
wayla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wayla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2016 at 9:17am
I think i had the same problem with my big digger 38 degrees version

playing for 2 weeks i noticed that i already got a bubble on the topsheet.
it was deemed unusable so i decided to peel it off and i think mine is the same situation that the tacky topsheet is the extra layer.

here's what it looks like.
is the same as yours?

Butterly Keyshot Light
FH: DHS Hurricane 3
BH: Nittaku Fast arc P1
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2016 at 9:41am
The price we pay for saving money by using chinese rubber...
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/24/2016 at 11:52am
Sorry, but I can not get a picture since I tried to glue mine back down since it was only a tiny bit at the edge. 

Wayla -  The part where you have the black shiny peeled away from the duller black is pretty much what mine looked like.  It was a very small section near the edge and I did not have any area where the blue sponge was visible.   I hope mine does not start coming completely apart like that at Nationals.

Mark

Edited by mjamja - 06/24/2016 at 11:52am
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/08/2019 at 10:28pm
    It is some distressing news to hear ...   

For the truth sake, the rubber's topsheets with Double Layer structure is a pioneer production technology as developed by Tamasu Butterfly© back in 1961.   Those multi-layer rubbers have been formally prohibited by ITTF ever since 1999.
In this too, laboratories affiliated with ITTF still looking for some apparatus suitable to decompose topsheet for closer examination.
I will report all those rubber samples as described here. It is some bitter regret to hear that some Chinese mnfcs have got over limits too far, ITTF got indignant.    
Thanks to everyone for sharing information and illustrations of the offending products.    Honesty is the best policy, indeed.

Edited by igorponger - 09/08/2019 at 10:47pm
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/09/2019 at 3:32am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I have been playing with a Big Dipper 38deg Black rubber for about a month.  Been using it about 2-3 days/week (rotate it with my 2nd racket to keep them similar wear).  Last night I noticed a little difference in reflection on a small section near the edge.  It looked very similar to what I have seen in the past when the entire rubber (top and sponge) gets slightly loosened from touching the table on a push.  In that case I can normally just get it back to normal by pressing down hard with my hand on the rubber while the paddle is on the table.

So I tried the pressing down thing a couple of times during the session, but it did not fix the problem.  I then gently tried to lift the whole rubber with my finger tip to see how much was loose to decide if I needed to remove the whole thing and re-glue.  I was completely surprised by what I found.  The sponge, the pips, and about 2/3 of the solid part of the topsheet stayed in place, but a very thin layer of rubber was loose.  For reference, it was about the same thickness of the original protector plastic that came on the rubber.  Never saw this before .  Anyone else experienced this?

Originally I thought the solid portion of the topsheet had separated from the pips portion.  But when I looked closer, it was more like the solid part had spit into two layers.  There was a thread a while back about the tacky layer peeling off and causing loss of the tackiness.  General reply was that there could not be a separate tacky layer on the rubber.  I now wonder if he was seeing the same delamination (if that is even the right term) I am having.

Just what I need right before Nationals is strange rubber failure problems.

Mark

Did you boosted it by Falco booster?
If so, that is the answer.
There is no real "pro", "prov" or "NT" H3 in the market.
Falco is not a booster
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 4:16am
no booster used.  Had couple of sheets since original problem and no repeat of the issue.

Mark
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 10:39am
The heat could make it happen like that.
If you have put the rubbers on your car or left them on the metal shed in the hot sunny day.
I used to bought 2 rubbers, I left them on my car for 30ms driving but on the sunny side. When I picked them up, I feel hot (~60) and I have tried to lift the topsheet off, it came off easily!
Falco is not a booster
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 4:03pm
UNMASK THE CGL RUBBERs

Composite Glue Layer (CGL) is a secret technology, and it is now growing very popular with many and many table tennis manufactures worldwide. Since it is an illegal black art, being always prohibited by ITTF, no manufacturer would dare to promulgate it for public's ears, to save one's life.

HOW DO I PROCEED.
You need some surgical skills to detach the outer tacky skin (finest rubber skin of upto 0.1 millimeters) from the pimpled layer underneath.

HEREBY, WE'D ASK YOU FOR SOME GOOD SERVICE, as follows:
     -- Collect up all the rubber cuttings from your waste-basket and give them some thorough V-section, one after one.   Be careful if using surgical knife for making dissections onto the rubbers.
     -- Report us all the rubbers you did found to use the composite topsheet CGL.   Be sure to attach a photo of the topsheet specimens .

Thank you a lot, in advance.

The most preferred rubbers to survey
■   DHS Hurricane 3 / DHS Hurricane 2
■   Yinhe BIG DIPPER
■   Sanwei TARGET
■   Friendship 729-08
■   Haifu WHALE 2 / 3

Edited by igorponger - 09/10/2019 at 8:41pm
lasta View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lasta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 9:41pm
Igor,

No need for mass surveys. Go to www.guoqiuhui.net for cross sections of most rubbers.

If it indeed is banned, a lot of manufacturers are ignoring it completely.

It is the same for just about EVERY tacky rubber.

Another guess is this is not an extra layer, but the result of surface treatment to make those rubbers tacky.

Edited by lasta - 09/10/2019 at 9:44pm
chop4ever View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chop4ever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2019 at 10:59pm
for sure h3 has this technic.
The h3 doesn't have extra thin layer on its topsheet is ...the h3 is selling worldwide
Falco is not a booster
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2019 at 11:17am
Is H3 Neo Exclusive version a fraud ?

http://www.guoqiuhui.net/Home/Goods/goods/value/%25E7%25B2%2598%25E6%2580%25A7/par/228/p/1

Yes, all those rubbers are known to have enormous tacky potency and they all would give the distinctive "clammy" feeling to your fingertips.
Actually, the same tacky effect on the rubber topsheet can be achived in two different production methods.
   1. introducing chemical additives (liquid nitroso compounds) into the raw rubber mixture.
   2. rolling a thin rubberized film of silicone material over base layer of non-cellular rubber.

Method (1) is legit in everyway and is welcome to employ by manufacturers.
Method (2) is in direct contravention to the Rules 2.4.3.1, and the rubbers to use the such are deemed to be an illegal product with no excuse.    

It is our job to disclose all those fraudulent rubber brands of China that employ illegal composite tackiness.

We are now reported from some local informants that the China National Team players are now being supplied in plenty with Hurricane3 Neo rubbers (exclusive version) illegal topsheet tackiness. How could we get some H3 exclusives for our closer examinations ??

Thanks.

Hurricane3 Neo enormous tackiness/

Edited by igorponger - 09/17/2019 at 12:25pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2019 at 1:58pm

Igor is always complaining about the chinese like an old lady. What can know an umpire about chemical technology?
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/17/2019 at 11:53pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

-- Collect up all the rubber cuttings from your waste-basket and give them some thorough V-section, one after one.   Be careful if using surgical knife for making dissections onto the rubbers.
     -- Report us all the rubbers you did found to use the composite topsheet CGL.   Be sure to attach a photo of the topsheet specimens .

For who's benefit would we be doing this? I certainly don't think it's in the interest of players.

Let say for example, we send in a sample, and the ITTF investigates, and decides it should never have been approved in the first case (i.e. THEY made a mistake). So they ban the rubber from the LARC, the result being:
1. Any players that's currently using it, and may have several spare sheets, is forced to buy new sheets until they find something new that's suitable - results: a lot of wasted money and time for the player.
2. Retailers get stuck with stock they can't sell, because it's no longer approved - result: wasted money and time for the retailer

So who wins igorponger? It's not as if these rubbers give you some type of magical advantage.

Edited by haggisv - 09/18/2019 at 6:58pm
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
darucla View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darucla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/18/2019 at 8:46am
@Igor; Is that the royal "we"?

Edited by darucla - 09/18/2019 at 8:47am
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2020 at 6:52pm
Hurricane III, outer sticky layer got unstuck all along the edges.

DHS supplying people with reprehensible products of poor quality.

Edited by igorponger - 05/01/2020 at 7:00pm
------
𝐖𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐜𝐮𝐫𝐞 𝐟𝐚𝐢𝐫𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐚𝐥𝐥
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/01/2020 at 7:59pm

Igor, it looks like you overboosted again! Big smile
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/02/2020 at 1:16am
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

Igor, it looks like you overboosted again! Big smile

igor would be rich if he would sell the booster he s drinking
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2020 at 6:56am
https://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=86767&PID=1078747&title=science-of-tacky-rubbers#1078747
My fellow engineer Mr.Zeio is of same opinion. He is a great learned intellect.

"Scientia Est Potentia"

/Be happy/

Edited by igorponger - 05/04/2020 at 6:58am
gnopgnipster View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gnopgnipster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2020 at 11:09am
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

For who's benefit would we be doing this? I certainly don't think it's in the interest of players.

Let say for example, we send in a sample, and the ITTF investigates, and decides it should never have been approved in the first case (i.e. THEY made a mistake). So they ban the rubber from the LARC, the result being:
1. Any players that's currently using it, and may have several spare sheets, is forced to buy new sheets until they find something new that's suitable - results: a lot of wasted money and time for the player.
2. Retailers get stuck with stock they can't sell, because it's no longer approved - result: wasted money and time for the retailer

So who wins igorponger? It's not as if these rubbers give you some type of magical advantage.
This brings IMO a dilemma for ITTF. It has long been known that manufactures supply their sponsored players with special equipment, namely blades and rubber. If the rubber they supply their sponsored players has a different topsheet than the retail, or viceversa, then one rubber is illegal because it is not the same that was provided to ITTF for testing and licensing. Since surely ITTF knows of this and keeps quiet/looks the other way, they may be doing themselves a disservice by not charging the manufacturers for the "new" rubbers. Instead they raise the oveall licensing fees and make those in the industry that don't cheat pay for the ones that do.
Hardbat: Valor Champion/FH/BH-Valor Premier-OX

Regular:Valor Big Stick FH-Apollo II & BH-Globe 979 OX

mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2020 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by gnopgnipster gnopgnipster wrote:

Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

This brings IMO a dilemma for ITTF. It has long been known that manufactures supply their sponsored players with special equipment, namely blades and rubber. If the rubber they supply their sponsored players has a different topsheet than the retail, or viceversa, then one rubber is illegal because it is not the same that was provided to ITTF for testing and licensing. Since surely ITTF knows of this and keeps quiet/looks the other way, they may be doing themselves a disservice by not charging the manufacturers for the "new" rubbers. Instead they raise the oveall licensing fees and make those in the industry that don't cheat pay for the ones that do.

I will tell that a rubber called rein from butterfly hasnt been available at any store or buterfly site and few years ago was on the LARC..

how do you explain butterfly " paying" fees for a rubber nobody cant buy in years not even one sponsored bty player use that rubber
simple butterfly has a special agreement under the table
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/04/2020 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

I will tell that a rubber called rein from butterfly hasnt been available at any store or buterfly site and few years ago was on the LARC..

how do you explain butterfly " paying" fees for a rubber nobody cant buy in years not even one sponsored bty player use that rubber
They are paying the fee so that people can still play with that rubber and it remains legal. Since it's a short pip it lasts long anyway. There are other examples like Magnitude, a medium pip based on Feint. That is still on the LARC as well. I would file this fee under "cost of making business". BTY is big and can afford it, other smaller companies probably not.

Edited by Matt Pimple - 05/04/2020 at 5:38pm
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2020 at 2:16pm

They are paying the fee so that people can still play with that rubber and it remains legal. Since it's a short pip it lasts long anyway. There are other examples like Magnitude, a medium pip based on Feint. That is still on the LARC as well. I would file this fee under "cost of making business". BTY is big and can afford it, other smaller companies probably not.

what people?  maybe some janitor in a small school in japan? why flarestorm that is a more recent pip is not on the list?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2020 at 2:57pm

what people?  maybe some janitor in a small school in japan? why flarestorm that is a more recent pip is not on the list?
By the way, I just checked the latest LARC and the Rein rubber you mentioned is not on it. The aforementioned Magnitude which is still on the LARC can actually still be purchased on factory assembled recreational paddles.  

My Feedback
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05/05/2020 at 3:04pm

By the way, I just checked the latest LARC and the Rein rubber you mentioned is not on it. The aforementioned Magnitude which is still on the LARC can actually still be purchased on factory assembled recreational paddles.  

rein was releaed in 1991  stopped being legal some  years ago while was unavailable in 2005 and there is a rubber called lemuria that according to local butterfly dealer nobody has seen

Edited by mykonos96 - 05/05/2020 at 3:07pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic