Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

GEWO Hype XT Pro 50 impressions

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GEWO Hype XT Pro 50 impressions
    Posted: 06/25/2016 at 10:12am
Briefly put: not so good. To tell the truth, this is a rubber that I think an benefit from boosting.

I glued it with VOC onto my blade and tested it for 6 hours before writing this post. I had a black max OV Pro on the other side. Interestingly, the brand new Gewo is noticeably slower than the 4 month old Xiom (also not tuned) and it is less spinny as well. My practice partner noticed this immediately after just a few hits. It being slower means slightly better control. In terms of feel, it has nothing to do with  MXS. MXS is dead and slow, the Gewo is at least faster and springier. So it is closer to MXP as far as feel is concerned but loops from it have a more linear flight path than from MXP. Overall, MXP is a better choice. Spin on loops is definitely stronger on the MXP.

If boosting helps it, it might become a very good rubber. In its untuned state, it is behind the MXP range overall. Even a Bluefire is spinnier, although does not feel as firm.

After my positive experiences with the Hype 42,5, the XT 50 is a slight  disappointment. Its relatively slower speed would not be a problem for me if they had designed it to be more spinny and to have a better throw. I think technically it would be possible. I do not think it will be Gewo's best seller rubber.
Sponsored Links

Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2016 at 12:37pm
Hype xt comparing to regular hype EL

Xt has relatively softer and thinner topsheet. And I agree hype xt has better control, factor.

Hype xt 50 is not so hard for me
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
arteepr View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arteepr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2016 at 12:54pm
Try a little bit more forward stroke. I'm using it on my Gewo force ARC and I found it is faster and spinier  than hype el 47.5  just need more strength forward stroke cause it need to hit the ball dig into its sponge to generate power and spin.

Edited by arteepr - 06/25/2016 at 1:21pm
Blade:Tibhar Fortino Pro ST 87 g
BH:Xiom Vega X
FH:Dianchi Special D provincial
Table tennis lover<3
Feedback
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2016 at 2:20pm
Originally posted by arteepr arteepr wrote:

Try a little bit more forward stroke. I'm using it on my Gewo force ARC and I found it is faster and spinier  than hype el 47.5  just need more strength forward stroke cause it need to hit the ball dig into its sponge to generate power and spin.

I have learned to take theseveral reviews with a pinch of salt until I have an objective idea of the technique or playing level.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/25/2016 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by arteepr arteepr wrote:

Thank you for the tip but I tried it in every possible way and it just does not work. Btw, I have not tried the 47.5 yet. I had an S2 on my BH today maybe I will glue back the Hype 42.5 to compare it to the Xiom, but from memory, the 42.5 will also be faster and spinnier than the XT 50. I tried that combo on Tuesday and the regular Hype was just better.

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 06/25/2016 at 2:29pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/01/2016 at 6:19pm
Another round of testing on SK7. My theory about tuning was valid. I put one layer of tuner on it a couple of days ago and glued it back on today. It became noticeably softer but much more consistent and that was what I missed from it last time.

It can spin up the plastic ball very well and it is  plenty fast. It feels similar to Xiom Sigma II Euro (but faster) now that it has become a little softer. According to one of my practice partners, it was spinnier than an MXP that was on a Bfly Timberfeel. I used a Tibhar *** 40+ in the test.

EDIT: Although I have found it quite usable, I still think that there are other rubbers that play better out of the box.

Edited by Hans Regenkurt - 07/01/2016 at 6:42pm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/09/2016 at 5:45am
Update after about 8 additional hours. This time the XT was on a Xiom Offensive S in the company of a brand new Xiom Sigma II Euro. I did not apply additional tuning before gluing it on the blade.

The topsheet on the XT is softer and overall, it is slower and less spinny and loops have a lesser arc then XSIIE. Although I wrote above that the XT is faster, it turned out not to be true. There is a speed difference of about 15-20% in favour of the Xiom. Simply put, the XT does not have the raw finishing power of the Sigma in the proper hands.

I still think that the XT was not a really good idea from Gewo.
jjpikkupelto View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jjpikkupelto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/10/2016 at 7:23am
Mine impression about the XT50 (max black) on forehand is a bit different. I like how topsheet grips ball. The Sponge is quite typical hard tensor sponge, it felt quite linear. If I remember correcly XT50 has a bit similar characterisctics as the MX-S (I have tried MX-S about one year ago for few sessions), but XT50 is faster on full committed shots and has least same amount of spins as the MX-S.

On previous six months I have used Tenergy 05 max on FH, so I am comparing XT50 mostly to T05. Before T05 I used MXP. I was planning to change back to MXP during summer, but then I decided to try this new XT50 rubber.

I did not had any trouble adjusting to XT50 rubber. I have now played with XT50 few sessions with robot and one session with two training partners who knows mine game really well. They blocked few opening loops over table so there was enough speed/spin for me. It is difficult to compare the spin amount T05, but I would say with fast racket speed spin was at least on same level as with T05. It seems that I am quite easily able to vary amount of spin on FH loops with XT50. I was also able to hit high speed loop/smash kind of shots if the ball was slightly high (or easy), on this kind of shots XT50 felt faster than the T05. Over table I normally like hard sponge rubbers with grippy top sheet, and for this XT50 felt good. It seemed that on serves there was about as much spin as with T05 due to good topsheet. Service return over table felt good (but this is probably mine personal preference to harder sponged rubbers). I don't normally chop from FH side, but I was able to chop with this.

Then to bad points. If I tried to loop little bit out of position, so I don't get enough racket speed, on those shots there was definetly less spin than on T05. So from that sense the rubber is less forgiving than T05 on looping. Based on mine experience rubbers with hard sponge normally requires a full committed (fast racket speed) shot to unveil their full potential. With Tenergy 05 you can get quite much spin with relative low racket speed, it kind of gives "free" spin. So with T05 you can still loop even if you are in a bad position (even though those shots are not optimal either with T05, and can be easily countered unless they are well placed).

Some information about myself. I have played as a junior with 38mm ball, on that time I was all out FH looper/hitter double inverted player. I had a quite long break from competitive play, now I have played about 3 years. I am currently learning to play as a modern defender with long pimples on BH (with 40+ ball it is difficult to play as a all out FH looper/hitter, and maybe I am not so fast anymore as I was as junior). I am still always trying to find out balls to attack with mine FH, and when I'll go to attack I'll try to end ball with 1-2 shots (I am trying to use a bit similar tactics as Chen Weixing/Fabian Akestrom). So I'll need quite fast FH rubber to be able to generate enough speed when I chose to attack. The XT50 seems promising, but I still need to try it a bit more against different opponents before I can really decide should I start to use it. Unfortunately during summer our table tennis club is closed, I so am not able to test it against different styles.

The XT50 was tested on allround+ blade with large head size (Soulspin Fichte-Ayous), and was glued with two layers revolution3 (medium viscosity).
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic