FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Nexy Karis rubber BH-Man first look

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 5:03pm
Could be perfect for me.  But it seems nobody here ever buys Nexy stuff, and I like to try stuff before I buy.
Sponsored Links

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2016 at 3:35pm
VictorK,

What are your thoughts on the rubber since you switched to it?
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2016 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

VictorK,

What are your thoughts on the rubber since you switched to it?

I've only played with these rubbers 4-5 times, which for me isn't enough to develop strong opinions about equipment.  I'm also experimenting by playing M and M+ interchangeably on BH and FH.  My preliminary impressions are as follows:

- These rubbers (especially M+) have slightly different feel than some other inverted rubbers I've played with recently (i.e. the Tibhar Evolution series).  It took me 2-3 playing sessions to better appraciate and get used to M+, while I had a pretty good grasp of M at the end of my first practice
- Both rubbers are very linear (neither bouncy nor dead) -  you get what you put into the stroke.  This behavior makes them quite controllable in both short and long game, plus it makes it very easy for me to understand why a particular shot doen't land on the table
- M+ is noticeably faster and firmer than M, and has lower trajectory
- M is very easy to spin with both close to the table and at mid-distance, but you need to put something (not a lot, though) into every stroke in order to get decent result.  As long as my form is correct, I can loop with that rubber all day and not miss much ... until my arm starts aching
- M+ requires a little more conviction, especially racket speed in order land quality shots, but it will handsomely reward good wind up and follow through, in which case it's as powerful as any other fast rubber I've ever played with.
- Both rubbers block well, but again, I can't just stick the racket and let the ball bounce of the rubber (like can be done with some bouncy rubbers, i.e. Tenergy) - good blocks need at least some forward motion
- I think that at this time I have slight preference for the M version, because it's fast enough for me for either wing, and because of the great control I get with it (I'm more of a control than power player), plus it requires less effort from my old body, but my opinion might change as I continue playing with both rubbers.

Edited by VictorK - 12/26/2016 at 7:13pm
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/26/2016 at 7:33pm
Sounds like we reached similar conclusions. I settled on M, it's only the blade speed decision that is still open.
Cybershape Carbon
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2016 at 8:37pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Sounds like we reached similar conclusions. I settled on M, it's only the blade speed decision that is still open.

I've had 4 more practice sessions with Karis M+ on FH and M on BH, and the the more I play with the M+ the more I like it.  I still like the M on either side as much as I liked it from the beginning, which is quite a lot.  

I think I'm liking M+ more and more because a) I'm getting used to it, and b) I have a feeling (no sure though) that the topsheet might need few hours of play to break in.

Tonight, I had the first opportunity to play with Karis against chopper (~2100 level) and had absolutely no problem lifting heavy underspin with either side or driving with power through higher returns.  However, what I liked the most is that my drop shots were very short and accurate, probably because the rubbers are very predictable and not bouncy.
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/29/2016 at 11:24pm
I have M+ and M on the Rubicon. I can play either rubber on FH. It is almost a mood thing, but lately, I have been valuing slower shots landing.

M is a beast vs incoming topspin. I just time the ball and go through it, now I have a mean counter topspin.

M+ has more pop, plus a huge boatload of spin on my big swings

M is not a rocket, but the spin is there, the shots land, and still trouble opponents.

M+ can react very well to change in grip pressure on blocks and middle shots.

That is my simple summary. I can play with either, never have I liked a Nexy rubber on FH enough to use it there (always used Elpis on BH) now I got two rubbers I like there, I could flip a coin and play it out.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2016 at 12:02am
I like to use the same rubber on both sides.  THat is why I settled on the M.
Cybershape Carbon
sspark80 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sspark80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/30/2016 at 9:10am
Hi.  Can anyone compare the M version to Rhyzm 425?

Thanks.
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2016 at 12:53am
My Review on Karis M+ 2.2
I myself is not a professional player, but a local player that has no consistency at all !!!

Nice glossy package, the sheet itself is not glossy rubber and sponge looks like it is airoc!!(same company???) 
Top sheet is tense, well grip, not tacky. Sponge is porous, smaller than those tensor variant(eg MXP Rasant BF).No or little bit of funky booster smell. Did not weight the rubber , but it's a bit on the heavy side.(after attached with paddle).

I finally had time, to run some club practice and games.
Set up : ITC Premiere XR / BH old victas V15 / FH Karis M+ 2.2

Warm up hit, rubber is not really fast if you have been playing with MXP Bluefire or Rasant.
It might be the same level of those baracuda or rakza, a bit faster than vega series. Catapult effect does exist a bit(when engaging sponge) Overall feel is close to Xiom OV tour and remind me of MXS, RGrip which Karas has a bit more catapult. Ease of spinning is great, even without tacky surface, need you arm working a little for sponge engagement( and it is just fine). A bit high throw, not ridiculously T05 throw.On serving doesn't took much effort on ball spin.

Top spin on both near and far is easy. Opening loop is easy (if you do not miss your position and working hard for your loop) just love how it curve - landing - and pop!!. 
Blocking , I used to play with much more catapult/speed rubber > (MXP I mean) and usually go aggressive punch block. I have to use more arm speed/wrist acceleration. But when come to passive block Karis allows me to place the ball. It is very predictable !!! Short game and service receive is easy, it not bouncy at all.

Inconclusion : I wrote this review to confirm previous review just to say I agree. 
Karis is not the fastest or spiniest rubber out there. But a user friendly rubber that is a jack of all trades.
It's not euro rubber replacement for Chinese rubber(fast soft sponge with mild tacky thin topsheet.) It's just better than that.

To be warn, try 2.0 if you don't have solid technique or you are now developing player because this rubber require your effort for full potential.
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2017 at 4:22pm
Here's a video of a match I (in blue shirt) played using Karis M+ (fh) and M (bh) mounted on Nexy Calix II against a modern defender (in Nexy uniform, using Nexy Lissom Oversize blade).

I feel that the Karis rubbers provide me lots of versatility to play against defenders (loops with different amount of spin, pushes, drop shots, smashes, blocks ...), while at the same time give me enough speed to power through the defense, when appropriate.

< id="_npfido" ="applicationpfido" height="0">
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
MCollins View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MCollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2017 at 4:58pm
The rally ending at 6:20 looked like a lot of fun.
My Feedback
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=75703&title=feedback-mcollins
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2017 at 7:46pm
when i grow up i want to be this good 
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2017 at 7:48pm
are these guys  above 1100 ?
and my new years resolution was to break 1100 
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2017 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by Purett Purett wrote:

when i grow up i want to be this good 

I have good news for you Purett - you don't need to grow up!!! You're already "this good" :o)

Now, do you think I will get better when/if I grow up?

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2017 at 10:10pm
damn my new years resolution isn't working victorK ruined it CryCry

that means i wont be 1100 this year

oh well maybe next year

and yes you can get better victor but only if you get younger

Edited by Purett - 01/03/2017 at 10:13pm
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 7:22am
Originally posted by VictorK VictorK wrote:

Here's a video of a match I (in blue shirt) played using Karis M+ (fh) and M (bh) mounted on Nexy Calix II against a modern defender (in Nexy uniform, using Nexy Lissom Oversize blade).

I feel that the Karis rubbers provide me lots of versatility to play against defenders (loops with different amount of spin, pushes, drop shots, smashes, blocks ...), while at the same time give me enough speed to power through the defense, when appropriate.

Wanna see a defender using Karis?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AF2b95SRD4
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 9:07am
One suggestion I would make for Nexy is to put a stamp on the back of the rubber to indicate if it is M or M+.  I bought a sheet of each to try out.  Then, like an idiot forgot that I had one M+ and one M (because I normally use the same rubber on both sides).  Then like an idiot, I got them mixed up while gluing.  So I don't know which sheet is M and which one is M+ (the glue is drying now as I write this).  I imagine I will be able to tell easily enough once I play with them.  But for sure it will be a blind test because I just don't know right now which one is which.  Of course, the top sheets are the same and both have the same 94-005 code.

Probably Nexy assumes people putting the rubber on are not idiots, but obviously this is not a good assumption.

First impression is that right out of the package there is a slight dome to the rubber but no discernible smell.   
AndySmith View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndySmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 9:17am
Weigh 'em.  Not 100%, better than nothing.
VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

One suggestion I would make for Nexy is to put a stamp on the back of the rubber to indicate if it is M or M+ ....
....  I imagine I will be able to tell easily enough once I play with it.  But for sure it will be a blind test because I just don't know. 

I agree with your suggestion.  Actually, I would love to see sponge hardness (M vs. M+) indicated on the front of the rubber (bottom of the topsheet), as it's the case for most other rubbers, i.e. Tenergy 05 vs. 05fx.

And yes, I think you should be able to tell quite easily which one is which after hitting few rallies.

99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 9:37am
I can tell that one side is faster than the other just by bouncing a ball on my blade.  That must be the M side.

A couple of other first impressions.  I had forgotten how much easier it was to glue down and cut rubbers with thin-pore sponges like this one.  A very nice feature. 

Pips on the inside are incredibly short (I've never seen anything like it before) and they have a shape that is somewhere between a circle and a hexagon.  The topsheet therefore, overall, is very thin.

Just bouncing a ball , I am excited to try this stuff.  (Not much of a test, I know, but first impression is good).  By the way, I will be trying it out on a ZJK-ALC blade with a straight handle.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 10:44am
Originally posted by AndySmith AndySmith wrote:

Weigh 'em.  Not 100%, better than nothing.

Yes. M+ us heavier.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 9:53pm
Once I played tonight it was obvious which was which, like ViktorK said.  Obvious on the very first ball. 

I agree with pretty much everything other people have said about these rubbers on this thread, at least based on my first hit with these rubbers tonight (which might be a bit premature but I will go on anyway). 

They are not real fast, not unusually spinny (although certainly spinny and grippy enough), but they are incredibly predictable, which became clear to me within a few minutes.  That is the thing Nexy talked about in his threads on what he was trying to achieve when he developed the rubber.  I have to admit I was very skeptical about that when I read it.  (To be honest, I strongly suspected that it was self-aggrandizing BS).   But having tried Karis, I now think he has accomplished what he set out to do, and his descriptions ring very true once you try this stuff.  Not just the descriptions of Karis, but how it is different from Tenergy and ESN rubbers. 

Because of the predictability of the rubber, I was able to keep the ball on the table really well tonight.  When I wanted to hit slow, the ball went slow, and it went where I aimed it.  When I swung harder, the ball went faster, and there was no non-linearity to it, which is a marked contrast to the MX-P I have been using.  One of the places this really showed up is against my opponent's good shots.  I brought a lot more of them back and lived to battle longer in the point.   In general I kept the ball on the table, and also, but I also felt like I was able to be a bit more deceptive as to where I was going to place the ball.  I was hitting really good angles.  From one night of play, the only downside, and I think it is temporary, is the sense that some of my shots lacked the penetration I would get with Tenergy or MX-P.  Also, it seemed like I was hitting my forehand flatter than usual, probably subconsciously trying for more power.  But, when I got good body rotation that was not a problem, and in any case, it is better to keep the ball on the table and win more points than it is to look spectacular winning a few points.  This sense of very linear control was present on every single shot.  Loops, counters, blocks, short game, serve, return, push.  I will need to work hard to get good body rotation on my opening loops in particular, this stuff definitely does not reward lazy technique.

As for M vs. M+, given what I have been playing with for the last decade, M+ is a step too far.  I definitely preferred M.  Actually, as the evening went on, I was more comfortable with M on the FH side and M+ on the BH side, which is a bit odd since M+ is distinctly harder, but I plan to use M on both sides for awhile and see how this goes.  Just need to order another sheet of M. 

So for the first night, I am very pleasantly surprised and happy with this stuff.  Time will tell if I continue to feel this way (and I need to try it against a few different and stronger players than I faced tonight).  But for now, a definite thumbs up.

VictorK View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VictorK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

As for M vs. M+, given what I have been playing with for the last decade, M+ is a step too far.  I definitely preferred M.  Actually, as the evening went on, I was more comfortable with M on the FH side and M+ on the BH side, which is a bit odd since M+ is distinctly harder, but I plan to use M on both sides for awhile and see how this goes.  Just need to order another sheet of M. 

@Baal - I had very similar first impression - by being more comfortable with M than with M+ after my first practice.   I suspect that if you give M+ few more playing sessions, you'll get more comfortable with it, as I did.  

I'm not sure whether it's the minor adjustments I needed to make, or the topsheet needed to break in before I could use the firmer sponge well, or a combination of both, but I definitely got much better appreciation for M+ (and control of it) after 3-4 playing sessions.  Having said so, I wouldn't be surprised if you end up with M on both sides, given how easy it is to play with.

Edited by VictorK - 01/05/2017 at 11:17am
99% practice
1% equipment
0% ratings
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 12:23pm
Could be.  I've already ordered another sheet of M, and in general I like the same rubber on both sides.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 1:40pm
I started out with M+ on both sides and liked it, but felt that it was harder than ideal. Like Baal, I like the same rubber on both sides and I was pleasantly surprised that the M checked the boxes for me. I am a spin player and hardly ever drive the ball past anyone so I was okay with getting a faster blade to make up the deficit.
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 1:41pm
By the way, anyone in Philly looking for a good deal on Karis, feel free to contact me.

EDIT: THE OFFER IS STRICTLY FOR PEOPLE LIVING IN PHILADELPHIA.

Edited by NextLevel - 01/05/2017 at 5:32pm
Cybershape Carbon
lineup32 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lineup32 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/03/2018 at 4:30pm
playing with the M version on a Roots 6 Basalt for 6 months on both sides. This week I changed to the H version both sides on a Roots 3 offensive blade (all wood about 15% softer then Roots 6) tested this morning at the local club was impressed how easy it was to play with and my opponent mentioned several times that he was impressed with the speed both BH and FH.    I prefer the H version on the softer blade I did try it on the Roots 6 FH and it worked fine but when I added Karis H to the BH as well it had a odd feeling the BH rubber suddenly felt hard but on the softer blade Karis H having Karis H on both sides didn't seem to matter.    I am using the Bk for FH and Red for BH.

Edited by lineup32 - 02/03/2018 at 7:38pm
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/09/2018 at 5:23am
Are you all still enamoured with the Karis M?
I have had a a sheet for a few months that I've tried on various blades. I am coming from a Hurricane H8 phase but recently tried the Karis on my main blade, Xiom ZX1.
All I can say is that I finally get what you guys are talking about. It does everything competently. It's ideal for players like me whose TT is mostly playing league matches where tactics are about accurate pushes short/long combined with consistent topspin. Excellent.

Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
ericd937 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ericd937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/12/2018 at 8:21am
Where is the cheapest place to buy it? 
Current Setup: TBS FH T80/BH D80
Official USATT Rating 1815
Current estimated level: 1800-1900.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic