Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nexy Karis rubber BH-Man first look

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nexy Karis rubber BH-Man first look
    Posted: 07/16/2016 at 12:21pm
Received a sheet of the final Prototype of made in Japan Nexy Karis rubber. Slapped it on the all-wood ALL-ALL+ Nexy Lissom and did league. 

This rubber will be on market in 2 months. Nexy is the brand of our Korea Foreign TTA sponsor in Korea. I happen to be the Janitor and fall guy for NexyUSA.com and had to clean 12 toilets and pass two inspections just to get a sheet of this rubber.

Overall, this is a true modern offensive rubber. Not a Tensor, it is made in Japan. This is the first rubber from Nexy I will be happy to use on FH.

Very supple and dynamic topsheet. This sponge was hard, but they worked together. This rubber does all tasks well, but really shines in heavy slow spin openers, counter looping, and any stroke that you sink the ball into the topspheet and shoot it out.

First look at the rubber... I got with no packaging barebones style... maybe because there isn't a package for it yet, this sucka is a final prototype version, so what the heck would I expect? The first thing that strikes you is how nice the topsheet is. REALLY dynamic flexy supple. Reminds me of a new sheet of Aurus, that baby-soft and supple feel - excellent for wrapping around the ball for control and spin. 

You do the toss ball and hit upwards with bat to spin the ball a foot in air and catch it. WOW. Spinny, springy. You bounce on bat, same. Yet, this is the ALL to ALL+ 5-ply all-wood Lissom blade we are using. Who says an ALL class wood blade cannot hit a ball hard ???

Warm-up... I really suck at FH to FH fast drive with little spin. I mean I REALLY suck at that stroke so much Korean coaches just skipped over that phase for me. So with a pick-up truck pinch of salt, take it for what is worth. Fast drives with little spin were OK, because the sponge is hard. If you strike right behind the ball, it will move out in a straight line like any other hitting rubber.

Serves... This sweet topsheet makes spinning the ball a breeze on serves. If you have the touch at impact and the timing to move the bat, you will really like the result - totally mechanical spin. This topsheet has next to zero tackiness. The topsheet wraps around the ball really well if you have the impact for it and you reap rewards.

Short touch... BH-Man and short touch share very few paths, but in practice I can do this task well enough. If you get close enough to the ball and engage the topsheet, then move the ball, you are all over it. If you just hold the bat there, the ball will slide off or rebound out, depending on your angle. With the plastic ball, this is the norm, but with Karis on short touch, you gotta engage the topsheet or you are toast. Fortunately, if you have the touch and impact control for this, Karis makes it easy. 

OPENING TOPSPINS !!! This is real strength of the rubber. You serve, you get the coveted long underspin, then you open slow and heavy. If you restrain yourself from going 120% on the opener, you get massive spin. You control the depth and height by your blade angle, grip pressure, power of swing, and how forward you go. I can say that on Lissom, Karis has a very wide range of ways for you to land this great shot. This is the bread and butter of my game. I spin heavy and win point on the spin, of get back a block to attack strongly.

Counterlooping - If you are fortunate to see what opponent is doing and select the counterloop shot, you will love it. you can loop to loop all day long. it is best to lay off the big power and let the ball sink into the topsheet before shooting it out. use less grip pressure and less power, you will control the world. Impact it a bit on the side and reduce grip pressure even moar and watch opponent go "Oh-Syht" and make an emergency quick long step to his FH side. Use your legs and hips and get behind the ball with force and finish with some wrist and you are now one of the most powerful masters of the world with only an ALL class blade.

Pushes and chops - If you engage the topsheet and take it off the bounce, you are there. If you are back from table and dig into the ball, you will get your spin.

Off-speed shots... close to the table, if you lay off the grip pressure and use a soft forward shot, you will get your knuckle ball or low spin ball that looks spinny. Off the table vs a faster ball, this is 10x more challenging. VS a slower ball, you got a lot more control.

Smashes... vs that pop-up, if you step in and slap the pizz outta the ball and make that puppy scream, you will be there. Make no mistake though, this isn't Calibra LT, but you will finish your points.

Control looping with spin variation... I save this for last as this is the Dark Horse best kept secret of this KARIS rubber on a great ALL to ALL+ wood blade. You have such a wide range of spins to make from the same arm slot and squaring of your body it is silly. This ability to change the ball with little effort with the right changes of power and grip pressure throughout impact is a great asset for a player who chooses to vary the spin and placement with ease. Such shot selection wins points and sets up the next ball to control and win the rally.

Well, that was BH-Man's first impression from a night at work. I intend to make my way up the east coast Late Sep and Early Oct for two missions to NYC and in between, so anyone who wants a first-look-see at this rubber can catch me in person before this thing hits the market.

Here are two pics of the rubber front and back side...

Edited by BH-Man - 07/16/2016 at 12:23pm
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
Sponsored Links

ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2016 at 2:06pm
Nice :)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
gekogark1212 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gekogark1212 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2016 at 5:22pm
Looks very promising indeed :)
(\__/)

(='.'=) But there's no sense crying over every mistake,

(")_(") You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2016 at 10:00pm
Oh-shyt, I which i could have a pair right now, LFward official release
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
Saitama View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saitama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/16/2016 at 10:09pm
Which side you can recommend it? Fh or bh?
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2016 at 6:31am
@fatt, maybe I shoulda weighed it. It isn't too much a heavy weight, maybe 45-50 grams cut is what it felt like.

@Saitama, I used it on FH side, I use Nexy Elpis on BH side the last 1+ years with excellent results. To date, Nexy has never produced a rubber I would be comfortable with on FH. Elpis is a control OFF rubber, but I require a more dynamic modern rubber on FH. This is the first rubber from Nexy I could say I would use on FH. Once production starts and it is on the market, I will be using Karis on FH wing. I could easily use it on BH wing to, but I generally use a control OFF rubber very low in price... so I can afford a more expensive rubber on FH.

@CF, even I cannot get anymoar sheets at the moment, but if you can find and use an NSA spy phone and learn the secret handshake, you might teach it to our CEO and maybe he can get a couple sheets for you on his next trip to your area.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/17/2016 at 8:32am

Can you get a reading on the moisture level content of the rubber of what percentage is water and other substances delineated ?
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2016 at 9:28am
I am using the harder (M+) version of this rubber at the moment. I think people who used the original Joola Rhyzmn and miss the benefits of hard topsheet will welcome this rubber, as well as people for whom MX-P is not directly enough. It is not a Tenergy 05 replacement though. Definitely less spin on shorter strokes but far more direct in what it does and can do.

I will write a review after testing the softer/regular version, though the softer version is likely not that soft and the harder version is okay for my backhand (that said, I have used Big Dipper on my backhand before so note I don't minder harder rubbers on my backhand).
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2016 at 6:51pm
I slapped M+ on my Kim Jung Hoon and I am ready to use it for the NA Teams. Karis M+ is going to do me right. Very stable on both brush and solid impact strokes.
PingPongHolic10 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongHolic10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/17/2016 at 10:08pm
I hit with Karis briefly when met up with BH-Man, and ended up liking Elpis more for mah forehand!  review is up in below link
sounds like K+ might be PPH would try on his RPB... so topsheet is same as Karis? just harder sponge?  what about the weight?

Edited by PingPongHolic10 - 11/17/2016 at 11:16pm
My FS/FT

Member of Yinhe,OSP & Nexy Clan
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2016 at 1:37am
I tried the medium version. It was fast but sort of just a backhand rubber. Maybe the hard one is much better like itc powercell mp
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2016 at 4:35pm
I weighed a sheet of M+ uncut. I think it was 63 grams uncut. Doesn't feel heavy.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2016 at 4:47pm
It's heavier than Tenergy 05 cut though. You may have got a light one. Mine is 66g. I think it might be sheet dimensions.

Edited by NextLevel - 11/18/2016 at 4:48pm
Cybershape Carbon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/18/2016 at 11:10pm
I ordered Karis+ a few moment ago.
Karis(regular) is 43 deg plus is 47 deg.

In a month or so I will do a quick review with ITC premiere XR(I switch from lissom to this one for more power).

BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2016 at 1:41am
Yup. Power is not the strong point of Lissom, Feel and control are huge though. Karis is truly worthy of being my FH rubber and bh-man is too picky on fh rubber.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2016 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by yogi_bear yogi_bear wrote:

I tried the medium version. It was fast but sort of just a backhand rubber. Maybe the hard one is much better like itc powercell mp

This was not my impression at all.  I could use it almost the same way I used the M+.  IT definitely comes down to sponge hardness preference.  I think that people should stop speaking about backhand rubbers and talk about sponge preference.
Cybershape Carbon
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/19/2016 at 10:29pm
NL, did the post service strap The Karis M to the back of a turtle, or give it to the daredevil speedboat operator?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/20/2016 at 7:23pm
It took two days as expected. Sent on Thursday, got it on Saturday.
Cybershape Carbon
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/22/2016 at 5:09pm
I slapped a sheet of M+ on the new to market Nexy RUBICON and it was good stuff on FH. The ST handle model I got was control on FH and a hot rod on BH.

EDIT: It was the M version (softer and no as top end easy to blast) and wow, that does really well vs incoming Topspin, feel like a Boss.

Edited by BH-Man - 12/06/2016 at 7:37pm
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2016 at 8:17pm
That I am probably playing better with the softer version of Karis tells me that my strokes really suck.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2016 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

That I am probably playing better with the softer version of Karis tells me that my strokes really suck.

Why??
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/25/2016 at 9:59pm
According to some, it is a backhand rubber and pros play with harder sponge.
Cybershape Carbon
bogeyhunter View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/28/2016 at 8:03pm
A few videos of me using Karis for 2nd time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYRzc-WFjac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mKQ5aNSWlA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKP5ciRARt8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AF2b95SRD4
www.NexyUSA.com
We also carries Sauer & Tröger.
Lissom O+EASY P 1mm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_65FLO2Lneo
https://youtu.be/YgYFPJCBCr0
https://youtu.be/NeHp789Lb1c
https://youtu.be/_65FLO2Lneo
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by bogeyhunter bogeyhunter wrote:

A few videos of me using Karis for 2nd time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYRzc-WFjac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mKQ5aNSWlA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKP5ciRARt8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AF2b95SRD4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYRzc-WFjac

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mKQ5aNSWlA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKP5ciRARt8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AF2b95SRD4

Recreated hyperlinks

Edited by BH-Man - 11/29/2016 at 1:55pm
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 1:57pm
I used Karis on FH for NA Teams despite only using it one week prior to tourney. Went 12-6 with expected results and 4-5 upset wins. Very direct and stable rubber, required little adjustment coming from MX-P on FH.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/29/2016 at 9:47pm
I'm not doing the Asian jokebut Boogeyhunter and his opponent resemble me of himself playing himself.
Reconized,"oh that's him",when he turn to camera.

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2016 at 12:18pm
This is a solid rubber - I don't think a huge Tenergy rubber fan will like it, and I am not sure how well it compares to Airoc Astro M and S, which I suspect are closely related.  In fact, when I read the reviews of Astro M and S, I laughed because the way I felt about the M spinning better than the M+ in some ways which many people seem to find for the Airoc saying the S is better than the M.

The topsheet is harder than the usual rubbers, make it less bouncy and great for pushing.  The rubber is extremely direct and precise - you can pretty much aim the ball exactly where you want it to go and control the arc.  I think some people who like aspects of OVA or similar hard sponged rubbers will like both the M and M+.  There is good but not strong catapult but the balance fits my game very well as I like to take good swings at the ball.

The topsheet grip is excellent - similar to the OVA and Tenergies with little slippage.  The arc is lower than modern rubbers but easier to control.  People who like to play with extreme brush will actually like this rubber as the feeling of brush is what it is designed to support.  It doesn't have the easy spin of Tenergy but the spin you get is definitely what you asked for and the way from the table looping is pretty precise.  It takes some practice to get some of the arcs that you might be used to from high throw rubbers, but you can get them, you just have to create them.  IT reminds me of Joola Rhyzm (the original) or Tibhar Aurus.

Again, since I have major short game and over the table issues with Tenergy, this has been a major improvement for me.  I don't think this will be true for everyone.  Also, people who have used Airoc Astro may not find much of a difference, but I have. I have had great results playing with both the M and the M+, better results with the M, but still great results with both.  If you are someone who used a slower blade because you hated the bounciness of Tenergy, this could have you using a faster blade again (I have gone back to true OFF-/OFF blades as my short game and blocking have improved with this rubber).

The M is ighter and I don't think you are missing much if you pick it over the M+, but that is just me.  I use both interchangeably without losing sleep, putting the M+ on my lighter blades and the M on my heavier blades.

The rubber is only $50 from Nexyusa.com.  Feel free to give it a try and if control issues are what holds you back, definitely look into this.  I do get heavy spin with it (no one has told me recently that my spin game has suffered - one of my practice partners said that initially because of the lower arc but he still blocks my loops off the table.)

REcommended for loopers who like the feeling of hard topsheets and precise control.
Cybershape Carbon
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2016 at 12:47pm
I have no idea if I like harder topsheets. What other rubbers are in that category and what is that good for?
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/06/2016 at 1:12pm
With the harder topsheets the feeling of the contact is more consistent. The spin reactivity in the short game is less but you need to do more to stretch the top sheet, so you don't get a lot of spin on shorter strokes. You have to work a little harder to stretch the top sheet but the rewards are great when you do.

I gave Rhyzm and Aurus as examples. The -P evolutions somewhat qualify as well.

I have only used this for 3 weeks though, maybe 2. Don't know about durability. But I just play better with it for the strokes I have issues with and can make up the difference on offense.

One of the things that both BH Man and myself (him coming from MX-P and me coming from Tenergy 80) was that the rubber is extremely easy to adapt to.  I decided to use it after 3 days of playing with it at my club and in a league and none of my Butterfly teammates felt that I was playing worse because of the switch.  BH Man did something similar and he played well at the NA Teams.  I switched to a faster blade after using it and have had some of my best match results in the last week or so (I struggled to keep the ball short or push low with these faster blades and Tenergies but don't have such problems with the Karis, speaking relatively).

Edited by NextLevel - 12/06/2016 at 3:03pm
Cybershape Carbon
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/07/2016 at 2:31pm
The more I investigate, the more it seems that there is a Japanese factory making these rubbers and the three that I have found so far in the family are:

1. TSP Regalis
2. Airoc Astro
3. Nexy Karis

I haven't tried the first two, but they most likely all have different topsheet pimple structures and maybe slightly different sponges.  Someone descriibed Regalis this way on ooakforum:

"You have to play with it a few sessions to see its full potential. More linear than ESN, not as "dead" as chinese rubbers, easier to play than all Tenergys... high end for the "average joe". :lol: "

I think am on that bandwagon.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic