Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon
    Posted: 07/21/2016 at 9:23am
Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon

I don't really do reviews but I thought I would have a crack as I couldn't find a review on the forum for this blade.

My Blade Weight: 87 grams (Under the reported 90 grams on the Donic site)

Feel: Nearly stiff- some flex

Speed: off- to off  ish plus
Handle Shape : Flared very comfy. .

Rubbers Tested with Donic JP01 2.0 and max, Donic JP02 2.0 (Cheers Andy!) Acuda P1,P1 Turbo both 2.0 and Evo MXP

Blade Finish - Really well finished on mine no sharp edges at all.

Packaging – Standard Donic  packaging.

I've had the blade now a little over a month and been using it exclusively. The thing that I really like about this blade is the feel and touch combined with the pace when needed. It has control and pace when driving and blocking. Topspin at the table is excellent especially on the backhand side for some reason paired with P1 turbo, P1 and MXP. Dropping back half-length the ball stays low on topspin and I found it to be stable with enough pace to put past people. The only slight change I found I had to make was to adjust my racket angle slightly sometimes if I was late due to a slightly lower throw. .

Service and receive is one of the plus sides for me on this blade. I found service easy and control of placement and length good. It has enough touch and feel to allow a safe return and enough pace to flick hard or spin if needed.

Overall I’m really happy with the change. People are going to ask which blade it is similar to and I’m not really sure.. I don’t change my equipment regularly and try and let my hard graft on the practice table improve my game…. But that’s a different topic all together!. Equipment vs work ethic…

If I had a guess the True Carbon is similar to one of the butterfly blades I used to use probably the Viscaria maybe a tad faster. I did actually wonder if this was by design.  

Hopefully someone who is better at the reviewing process will pop in and help fill in the gaps I’m sure I have left.

Sponsored Links

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2016 at 11:07am
composition?
ghostzen View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ghostzen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2016 at 1:33pm
it's 7 ply 5 wood 2 carbon .... I will look for more info!  Smile did say I would miss something.. hopefully find out and let you know.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2016 at 4:37pm
I have recently bought two. One is heavier 92g and I like it much better than the other. The blades are very similar to Btfy ALC blades. A touch faster than Viscaria. The ST handle is super comfortable.
slowd16z View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slowd16z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2016 at 6:24pm
Can anybody compare the head size and thickness to a Viscaria?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2016 at 6:31pm
Thickness is the same.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2016 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

I have recently bought two. One is heavier 92g and I like it much better than the other. The blades are very similar to Btfy ALC blades. A touch faster than Viscaria. The ST handle is super comfortable.

Are you going to post a review soon on it Baal?
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
TurboZ View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TurboZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2016 at 8:22pm
They look very much the same side by side but mine is only 5.55mm in thickness comparing to Butterfly's 5.75mm. Headsize is identical. ST handle is excellent which I believe is copying the ST Viscaria in size and shape. Only thing I don't like is the picture of Dima on the handle. I suspect this one is also made in China like their Zhou Yu series. 

Edited by TurboZ - 07/21/2016 at 8:23pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/21/2016 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

Are you going to post a review soon on it Baal?

I don't actually have a whole lot more to say than that it plays quite similar to Btfly ALC blades like TB-ALC and Viscaria.  It is a little bit faster than Viscaria.  I was quite surprised though that the two blades I have are quite different from each other.  Weight mostly I think.  People who like Btfly versions will probably like this one.  Slightly cheaper and it comes in a nice ST handle.  The ST handle is rounder than a TB-ALC. 

Regarding blade thickness, I didn't measure with calipers.
Hans Regenkurt View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Regenkurt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 6:07am
I tried out a friend's Viscaria last night. I was curious about how it plays and how it compares to the OTC.

Everything in this thread is correct. I have two OTCs, one in ST and it is very light (have not measured it) and a newer one in FL that I use as my main blade. It is 82 gr which is very far from Baal's 92.

I found that it outperforms Viscaria in any aspect, actually I do not see a point in buying a Viscaria when you have got a cheaper and better alternative.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Hans Regenkurt Hans Regenkurt wrote:

I tried out a friend's Viscaria last night. I was curious about how it plays and how it compares to the OTC.

Everything in this thread is correct. I have two OTCs, one in ST and it is very light (have not measured it) and a newer one in FL that I use as my main blade. It is 82 gr which is very far from Baal's 92.

I found that it outperforms Viscaria in any aspect, actually I do not see a point in buying a Viscaria when you have got a cheaper and better alternative.

no cpen damm
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 12:07pm
I bought & tried 4 Ovtcharov True Carbon blades.

I agree - they are slightly softer and a touch faster than Viscaria. The difference comes in why they are faster. While the German blade designer (of this 'Made in China' blade) could not explicitly state this to me (perhaps for confidentiality reasons), they did indicate that the ALC composition in the DOTC had a shade more carbon in it.

What is of more importance is that you like it! Indeed, it is good that we have a cheaper alternative to the Viscaria (whose price Butterfly shall keep hiking annually, I guess).

Spread the word!

I'm also interested in hearing reviews of the Tibhar Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon blade. Tabletennisdaily says that the 2nd ply is Ayous (as opposed to Limba in the TBS / Viscaria). However, I had a brief chat with Paul Drinkhall (a former TBS user) a few weeks ago. He said he spent many weeks testing different combinations of wood before selecting what felt right to him (he said that he was not technical on how they are mixed and matched).
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 12:39pm
That might explain why the composite layer in DTC is a different color -- a different weave maybe from a different supplier. I am back to FL handles so I use Viscaria again -- I dont need to buy any more of those, that is for sure!!

People who like Butfly ALC blades will probably like this one just as much, and at a great price. But the weight variation seems high so specify when you buy one. It has a pretty big effect on how fast they feel.
unstopabl3 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

I bought & tried 4 Ovtcharov True Carbon blades.

I agree - they are slightly softer and a touch faster than Viscaria. The difference comes in why they are faster. While the German blade designer (of this 'Made in China' blade) could not explicitly state this to me (perhaps for confidentiality reasons), they did indicate that the ALC composition in the DOTC had a shade more carbon in it.

What is of more importance is that you like it! Indeed, it is good that we have a cheaper alternative to the Viscaria (whose price Butterfly shall keep hiking annually, I guess).

Spread the word!

I'm also interested in hearing reviews of the Tibhar Drinkhall Powerspin Carbon blade. Tabletennisdaily says that the 2nd ply is Ayous (as opposed to Limba in the TBS / Viscaria). However, I had a brief chat with Paul Drinkhall (a former TBS user) a few weeks ago. He said he spent many weeks testing different combinations of wood before selecting what felt right to him (he said that he was not technical on how they are mixed and matched).

Which weights did you get them in and which weight did you think was best?
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 5:49pm

That might explain why the composite layer in DTC is a different color -- a different weave maybe from a different supplier. I am back to FL handles so I use Viscaria again -- I dont need to buy any more of those, that is for sure!!

People who like Butfly ALC blades will probably like this one just as much, and at a great price. But the weight variation seems high so specify when you buy one. It has a pretty big effect on how fast they feel.

I've used Viscaria and don't like it's muted feeling and felt it to be a bit slow for my taste although I got it in 92g.

If you have used TB ALC can you compare OTC to TB ALC (which is faster than Viscaria and has better feeling). Should I get TB ALC or try OTC at cheaper rate?

Also what's the composition of OTC, any idea?

Edited by unstopabl3 - 02/25/2017 at 5:51pm
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 6:11pm
To be honest it all comes down to handle preference and luck. Not all TB-ALC are faster or better feeling than all Viscaria and vice versa (I have had a bunch of each). OTC same.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 6:23pm

To be honest it all comes down to handle preference and luck. Not all TB-ALC are faster or better feeling than all Viscaria and vice versa (I have had a bunch of each). OTC same.

Would you say OTC is closer to TB ALC or Viscaria in terms of playing characteristics and not their handles?
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by unstopabl3 unstopabl3 wrote:

I've used Viscaria and don't like it's muted feeling and felt it to be a bit slow for my taste although I got it in 92g.

If you have used TB ALC can you compare OTC to TB ALC (which is faster than Viscaria and has better feeling). Should I get TB ALC or try OTC at cheaper rate?

TB ALC not faster then Viscaria
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 6:33pm
Since you guys are at it, the only concern of mine when comparing anything to tb-alc is the balance, does it have balance like viscaria which is head heavy or head light/even balanced like tb-alc
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I have a Viscaria which is about 92g and I specifically got it this heavy so that it should be fast, but I feel it to be even slower than my YEO 7 Power which in return is slower than the TB ALC blades I've tried. So it's my observation with the blades which I have tried myself, others observations may differ due to weight differences and what not.
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote unstopabl3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

Since you guys are at it, the only concern of mine when comparing anything to tb-alc is the balance, does it have balance like viscaria which is head heavy or head light/even balanced like tb-alc

I didn't really feel that my Viscaria was head heavy then again I didn't use it for a prolong period of time. It seems you have tried both Viscaria and TB ALC, which one in your opinion is faster? And are you saying TB ALC is not head heavy and is more balanced than Viscaria?
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 6:41pm

Originally posted by piligrim piligrim wrote:

I have a Viscaria which is about 92g and I specifically got it this heavy so that it should be fast, but I feel it to be even slower than my YEO 7 Power which in return is slower than the TB ALC blades I've tried. So it's my observation with the blades which I have tried myself, others observations may differ due to weight differences and what not.

you should direct compare TB ALC to Viscaria without compare to YEO 7 Power. don't know why you mixing with YEO 7 Power. if you will take TB ALC and Viscaria both same weight Viscaria will be much faster.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 8:04pm
Based on two DTC blades I would say DTC is closer to Viscaria. Maybe not a big enough sample size. They are all pretty similar.

These things are made of wood so no two are identical. None of them are good if they are too light imho
rocketman222 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rocketman222 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/25/2017 at 9:21pm

Originally posted by rocketman222 rocketman222 wrote:

I didn't really feel that my Viscaria was head heavy then again I didn't use it for a prolong period of time. It seems you have tried both Viscaria and TB ALC, which one in your opinion is faster? And are you saying TB ALC is not head heavy and is more balanced than Viscaria?

Yes absolutely, TB-ALC even with heavy rubbers on both sides(tenergy max and mxp max) still feels very evenly balanced.

I felt they were both equally fast, except i felt my viscaria to feel softer and TB-ALC felt a little harder on ball impact.

Also viscaria felt more stable while blocking, i m not sure how or why that was the case.

Edited by rocketman222 - 02/25/2017 at 9:46pm
player87 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote player87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2017 at 12:00am
so which one is more balanced in terms of weight/head heaviness? DTC or Viscaria?
Does it mean if blade is lighter like 84 gr the balance more towards handle or not?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02/28/2017 at 9:54am
With Viscaria, the lighter the blade the more head-heavy is the balance.  TB-ALC has slightly longer handle which adds weight back there, which I think is a good thing.  DTC, I'm not sure because mine are ST, so don't want to compare to FL handle blades.  On the other things, I would agree with Rocketman's last post except bear in mind, there is variation from one to another.

I don't think I can say anything more about these blades that isn't in one of the two DTC threads on MyTT.  DTC is a good blade for a good price.  If you like Btfly ALC blades there is a good chance you will like a DTC, since it is pretty much the same thing.  But no two blades are alike and weight (!!) and luck factor in.
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/04/2017 at 8:40pm
Read a lot on this blade but still need more input.

Does the FL or ST have better balance towards the handle? And how is the FL handle compared to Viscaria and TB ALC? I personally like the Viscaria handle and the old ZJK ALC because of thickness, TB ALC however is a bit thin for me. 
Thanks

Edited by DreiZ - 03/04/2017 at 8:41pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
ttspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2017 at 5:24pm
Handle of True Carbon is: Wideness 29,0 mm  , thickness 23,30
                Boll ALC ST is :                   27,5 mm ,                  22,30 or thinner sometimes

the touch of the handles are different, ALC is very squarish, true carbon a little less
another big difference of these two blades is that the true carbon is not headheavy, the handles must have clearly more weight than the ALC handles. I prefer normally just head heavy blades because of more self-energy.
ttspirit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ttspirit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2017 at 5:25pm
I'm nut sure but also the FL handle of true carbon must have more thickness than ALC FL
bard romance View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/14/2017 at 6:36pm
Agreed with the general consensus here, pretty much a Viscaria clone, not sure about faster, but certainly not sure about slower, but very similar feel overall. May consider selling one off if anyone is interested, PM.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic