Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Home Forum Home > Equipment > Equipment

Donic Ovtcharov True Carbon

 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 06/01/2009
Location: New York, US
Status: Offline
Points: 2229
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/16/2017 at 5:25pm
Here is my DOTC at 85g AN handle that I've recently received. Although I'm going to return it, i want to post some pictures of it just for anyone that is curious about the handle.

The handle seems small for an Anatomical handle. Lengthwise it is shorter than my SSCB. Thickness is the same. DOTC is obviously wider at the neck being AN, but the end of the handle is rather narrow compared to a my FL SSCB. Ive imagined it to be longer and wider overall. Nonetheless, I'm not keeping it but here are some pictures.

Forgot to mention, the handle feels very solid and has some significant weight to it, feels as it wouldnt be head heavy with heavy rubbers which is great imo.





Edited by DreiZ - 03/16/2017 at 7:13pm
TB ALC ST 84g
2x T05 2.1mm
FS Feedback
Back to Top
bard romance View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 02/18/2016
Location: us
Status: Offline
Points: 491
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bard romance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2017 at 9:55am
Did you try holding it/at least shadowing some strokes? I have only used a few anatomic handles, but it didn't feel any smaller than the rest of them, fit pretty snug in the middle bump, if anything a bit more than others I've tried. Might be more thickness but less width to the handle than usual.

Was not head heavy, less so than Viscarias.


Edited by bard romance - 04/06/2017 at 9:56am
Back to Top
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Avatar

Joined: 06/01/2009
Location: New York, US
Status: Offline
Points: 2229
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2017 at 10:30am
Originally posted by bard romance bard romance wrote:

Did you try holding it/at least shadowing some strokes? I have only used a few anatomic handles, but it didn't feel any smaller than the rest of them, fit pretty snug in the middle bump, if anything a bit more than others I've tried. Might be more thickness but less width to the handle than usual.

Was not head heavy, less so than Viscarias.


It's already returned. It had some nice weight to the handle but definitely small because I just bought my SSCB in anatomical and this handle is wider/bigger than DOTC.

Edited by DreiZ - 04/06/2017 at 10:31am
TB ALC ST 84g
2x T05 2.1mm
FS Feedback
Back to Top
Danny1973 View Drop Down
Member
Member


Joined: 01/28/2015
Location: The Netherlands
Status: Offline
Points: 78
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny1973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2017 at 3:29pm
Does the true carbon play like the carbospeed, or are this two complet different blades?
OSP Virtuoso Off-
FH xiom vega Japan 2.0
BH Xiom vega Japan 1.8
Back to Top
tom View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member


Joined: 11/18/2013
Location: canada
Status: Offline
Points: 895
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2017 at 3:33pm
tried carbospeed briefly , much faster, almost no dwell
Back to Top
ronakvyas86 View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 03/03/2016
Location: India
Status: Offline
Points: 454
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04/06/2017 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Danny1973 Danny1973 wrote:

Does the true carbon play like the carbospeed, or are this two complet different blades?


Completely different I suppose. I'm currently using carbospeed and in the past I've tried timo boll spirit (which is similar to true carbon) and they are very different. Carbospeed is very stiff and is better for hitting. However, you can still loop with carbospeed fairly well (that would take some skill if you're coming from flexy blades) but you can never generate as much spin as the thinner alc blades.
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
Back to Top
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 06/02/2009
Location: Stamford
Status: Offline
Points: 1450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 4:32pm
I just picked up DOTC from TT11. Pretty disappointed. The handle is very small and as I read in one review more appropriate as a starter blade for a teenager. It is also very light and doesnt feel very solid. Too bad. I'll be staying with my 8 year old Killerspin DQ. I'm surprised at the lukewarm reception that the DQ received when it first came out when it feels so much more like a real blade compared to the True Carbon and other blades that I've tried out. At the time I thought I made a mistake, but I didn't. Still better than almost anything I've tried since. As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

BTW, it's up for sale in the FS forum with two Mantra M, 1.9 if anyone wants it. Never played (and may never be played. 😃).

Edited by richrf - 12/04/2017 at 5:46pm
Back to Top
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member


Joined: 03/15/2012
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 3143
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 5:41pm
Re: DOTC - if you get your target weight, it is a fantastic blade for the price. At least the ST handle is great.

In fact, I have 2 DOTCs that are too heavy for me to handle (only 89g but a bit too stiff for me - I can handle heavy flexy blades but not heavy stiff ones). More powerful than Viscaria for sure.
Back to Top
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 06/02/2009
Location: Stamford
Status: Offline
Points: 1450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Re: DOTC - if you get your target weight, it is a fantastic blade for the price. At least the ST handle is great.

In fact, I have 2 DOTCs that are too heavy for me to handle (only 89g but a bit too stiff for me - I can handle heavy flexy blades but not heavy stiff ones). More powerful than Viscaria for sure.


I just put it up for sale if you want your third. 😃
Back to Top
ohwell View Drop Down
Super Member
Super Member


Joined: 08/04/2017
Location: NY
Status: Offline
Points: 136
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ohwell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 8:03pm
Originally posted by richrf richrf wrote:

I just picked up DOTC from TT11. Pretty disappointed. The handle is very small and as I read in one review more appropriate as a starter blade for a teenager. It is also very light and doesnt feel very solid. Too bad. I'll be staying with my 8 year old Killerspin DQ. I'm surprised at the lukewarm reception that the DQ received when it first came out when it feels so much more like a real blade compared to the True Carbon and other blades that I've tried out. At the time I thought I made a mistake, but I didn't. Still better than almost anything I've tried since. As the saying goes, different strokes for different folks.

BTW, it's up for sale in the FS forum with two Mantra M, 1.9 if anyone wants it. Never played (and may never be played. 😃).


If the Viscaria is a starter blade for teenagers, sure. You haven’t played with it at all? If the handle is the big issue why not try grip tape?
Back to Top
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 06/02/2009
Location: Stamford
Status: Offline
Points: 1450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/04/2017 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by ohwell ohwell wrote:

   

If the Viscaria is a starter blade for teenagers, sure. You haven’t played with it at all? If the handle is the big issue why not try grip tape?


Thanks but I know this blade is hopeless so I don't want to use it so I can sell it as completely brand new.

Edited by richrf - 12/04/2017 at 9:12pm
Back to Top
NextLevel View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member
Avatar

Joined: 12/15/2011
Location: Somewhere Good
Status: Offline
Points: 11810
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 12:22am
Another example of why it is important to try before you buy.  If not, you get situations like these, where someone goes out of his way to insult a perfectly good blade used by many good players because he purchased it based on the recommendations of players who may or may not play like him (but some of whom are definitely higher rated).
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Tibhar Inca
FH: MX-S 1.9 B
BH: MX-S 1.9 R
Lumberjack TT
No train, no gain.
Back to Top
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 06/02/2009
Location: Stamford
Status: Offline
Points: 1450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 12:34am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Another example of why it is important to try before you buy.  If not, you get situations like these, where someone goes out of his way to insult a perfectly good blade used by many good players because he purchased it based on the recommendations of players who may or may not play like him (but some of whom are definitely higher rated).


Thanks. I agree. Buying online is a high risk proposition. I knew it was a bad idea but I ran out of options so I tried especially since TT11 was selling it pretty cheap. As it turns out, standing pat was the best option. Never again. I was just lucky when I was in Chicago and got a great blade from Killerspin.

Edited by richrf - 12/05/2017 at 12:39am
Back to Top
vanjr View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member


Joined: 08/19/2004
Location: Corpus Christi
Status: Offline
Points: 654
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 8:28am
Buying online is high risk IF you not know what you want. You should know the general weight and characteristics you desire before you order or you should not be ordering. Handle size is important and often not well published but a search of forums should help. Statements of "this blade is hopeless" do not help. This blade does not work for me is more accurate and less inflammatory.
Sword Yokahama Yue or Gambler Fire Dragon FLC or AVX J power or ?. Double inverted. Red on one side and black on the other. I can't seem to commit....
Back to Top
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 06/02/2009
Location: Stamford
Status: Offline
Points: 1450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 8:33am
Originally posted by vanjr vanjr wrote:

Buying online is high risk IF you not know what you want. You should know the general weight and characteristics you desire before you order or you should not be ordering. Handle size is important and often not well published but a search of forums should help. Statements of "this blade is hopeless" do not help. This blade does not work for me is more accurate and less inflammatory.


I gave my reasons why this blade doesn't work for me. It's up for for sale for anyone who wants it for what I believe to be fair value.

Edited by richrf - 12/05/2017 at 8:38am
Back to Top
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01/21/2010
Location: unknown
Status: Offline
Points: 12460
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 9:15am
The first DTC I bought, when they first came out, was very good indeed, about 90 grams, basically a straight handled Viscaria.  A very good blade, I got from Schoeller and Micke. So I bought a second one (from TT11).  It was much lighter (more like 84 g) and played much differently.  I had the same thing happen with some ZJK-ALCs with straight handles.  At the time, about two years ago, I had begun to explore how I would play with a ST handle.  I am back with FL.  By the way, this is an issue with the blade maker, not the vendor. 

This problem is not unique to these blades, I have a couple of very sub-par Viscarias in a closet also.  It is, I suspect, true of anything made of wood. 

This is always a problem if you have to order on-line in the US.  Rich, you have found the solution to that, which is resell the ones you don't like.  I am too fricking lazy to do it, the one thing I hate is to pack up blades and go to the post office, so I suffer in silence.

I have gotten lucky a few times though, sometimes on-line and sometimes here. Thank you Emihet, again, for the black tags you sold me!!!!!   And you only need to get lucky once or twice. 

(A black tag Viscaria is no guarantee, though).
Back to Top
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 06/02/2009
Location: Stamford
Status: Offline
Points: 1450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 9:21am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

The first one I bought was very good indeed, about 90 grams, basically a straight handled Viscaria.  So I bought a second one.  It was much lighter (more like 84 g) and played much differently.  I had the same thing happen with some ZJK-ALCs with straight handles.  At the time, about two years ago, I had begun to explore how I would play with a ST handle. 

This problem is not unique to these blades, I have a couple of very sub-par Viscarias in a closet also. 

This is always a problem if you have to order on-line in the US.  Rich, you have found the solution to that, which is resell the ones you don't like.  

I have gotten lucky a few times though, sometimes on-line and sometimes here. Thank you Emihet, again, for the black tags you sold me!!!!! 

(A black tag Viscaria is no guarantee, though).



I was concerned about ordering online but I decided to take the risk. This was the absolutely last time I do this. Buying sight unseen is far to big of a gamble. I'm being fair with my sale price putting the value exactly where I believe it is worth but if I can't sell it there is a local University that has an active group of beginner players that I'll donate the racket to as a tournament prize.

Edited by richrf - 12/05/2017 at 9:22am
Back to Top
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator


Joined: 01/21/2010
Location: unknown
Status: Offline
Points: 12460
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 9:54am
As stated clearly in the movie Risky Business, sometimes you just have to say "what the f%%k".
Back to Top
richrf View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member


Joined: 06/02/2009
Location: Stamford
Status: Offline
Points: 1450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richrf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/05/2017 at 9:58am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

As stated clearly in the movie Risky Business, sometimes you just have to say "what the f%%k".


Lol. 😃 Very true.
Back to Top
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down



This page was generated in 0.172 seconds.
Mark all posts as read :: Delete cookies set by this forum

Cookies and JavaScript must be enabled on your web browser in order to use this forum


Copyright © 2003-2013 MyTableTennis.NET - All Rights Reserved. Disclaimer