FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

TT Psychology- more important than all

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 3:07am
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

The original post said "on a good day 60%", not that his overall average was 60%.  In fact, he didn't say anything about what his overall average would be, which would be a lot more helpful.  On a good day, I can shoot 20 free throws in a row in basketball.  Sadly, the vast majority of days aren't good days for me and basketball.

Fair enough.  In common parlance, I'd take that as being "better than my typical performance" but not exactly rare or non-repeatable.  So on a bad day, maybe half that rate?  In my experience, 3 out of 10 is pretty hard to do.

Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

And how effective is an edge ball anyway? And edge ball that adjusts upwards or sideways might still be killed.  Only the edge balls that barely clip the table as they continue to fall would be easy points.

Sounds to me like a suicide serve.
As I said, at 50/50 25% would be direct losers and 25% would hit square and not deflect.  Suicide or not would depend on the skills of the opponent.  I find a short dead forehand serve to be pretty effective against most sub-2000 level players.

I think 50/50 is where this serve could be viable. There is that "x-factor" of whether it will disrupt your opponent's mindset.  Imagine someone serving edges and choing - because it is a skill shot and not merely luck. :^)

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Sponsored Links

wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/26/2016 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

Anyway in the best case it should be a surprise serve among others meaning it will be used maybe 3 times per game. Seen that way one miss means a 33.33% failure...if one more bounces normally and the 3rd edges the table for an outright win it's a remarkable result. However the edge serve could be returned with an around the net crazy winning shot and the one that bounces normally will end either way depending receiver's skills... At the end of the day it is gambling and we can't base a game on that. At best it is mental torture to use when we are ahead 2 or 3 points and we want to strike a discouraging blow.

I thought the idea was that just about every serve should be a surprise in that it isn't predicted. Matches are typically best of 5 or 7.  At three times per game, that means you might use it 9-21 times in a match. There is no need to parse it down to three uses and shift the efficacy rate downwards.

If you aren't using estimates of success in choosing serves and shots, then you aren't playing smart.  All shots are "gambles" of some kind.  If you aren't weighing the (perceived) odds in your serve and shot choices, then what the heck are you doing?

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
yogi_bear View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogi_bear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/27/2016 at 2:42pm
Psychology is not more important than techniques or physical conditioni g but rather would be given equal importance. These 3 make up the training trinity of every sport. If you lack one of these areas then you will not go far.
Independent online TT Product reviewer of XIOM, STIGA, JOOLA, SANWEI, GEWO, AIR, ITC, APEX, YASAKA and ABROS

ITTF Level 1 Coaching Course Conductor, ITTF Level 1 Coach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic