Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Amicus Pro Robot Setting for Short Underspin Serve
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Amicus Pro Robot Setting for Short Underspin Serve

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Amicus Pro Robot Setting for Short Underspin Serve
    Posted: 07/30/2016 at 11:42am
Hey, so I bought the Amicus Pro recently, and I'm having trouble getting the settings right.

So what I want to do is mimic a short underspin serve to my backhand (left handed) so I can practice my backhand flick.

The problem I have is that if I set the spin on -3, which is enough backspin for the ball to stop after a few bounces and maybe roll back a tiny bit, I can't get the ball to go long enough.

I don't want the ball to go too fast. I want the ball to be as realistic as possible, so I have it set to bounce once on the opponents side. I would like the bounce to be higher, too. At the moment I can only get it to barely go over the net if I have it bounce on the opponents side first.

Is this possible, or am I trying to be too specific with what I want?

I can get the ball to go a little longer, though still barely passing the net if I have the spin on -2. But -2 is like a no spin ball. The ball continues to bounce forward, even after like 4 or 5 bounces at -2.

Here were my -2 spin settings.

Also, this is unrelated, but is the machine head EXTREMELY hard to rotate? I feel like I'm breaking the machine every time I twist the head. I also can't figure out how to raise or lower the head level. It's on what it is when I bought it. It just doesn't move. I have loosen and even removed the screw near the neck.

Also, if anyone has a bunch of settings they've made that works, it would be great to try some!

Any help appreciated!
Sponsored Links

CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2016 at 2:28pm
I don't have the pro model, but your solution lies with the adjusting of the height of the head. This is how you will also find the "realistic" ball flight...

You will find a knob at the bottom of the tube that feeds balls to the motor. Loosen this knob to raise, lower and rotate the tube and head. There are several marked rings on the tube so you can set memorable heights...

Enjoy!

1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2016 at 10:35pm
Ah, thanks!

I'm not sure if my robot head is defective, but it takes A LOT of effort just to turn the head. I've tried to raise the robot head, but can't. Maybe I'm just not strong enough...
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/30/2016 at 10:40pm
This may be too obvious, but maybe there is some packing material pushed into a joint somewhere to keep the head from moving in shipment.  Get a strong flashlight and examine the joints closely to see if maybe they put something in there to keep the head stable.

Mark
ybok View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ybok Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2016 at 1:15pm
I don't think that you can turn the head on the Amicus.  All position and spin direction are controlled by the control box so there is no need to turn the head.  What do you want to accomplish by turning the head?
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2016 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Ah, thanks!

I'm not sure if my robot head is defective, but it takes A LOT of effort just to turn the head. I've tried to raise the robot head, but can't. Maybe I'm just not strong enough...

Crane is correct.

Look at your owner's manual to locate the piece he is talking about. The manual describes exactly how to adjust the height. 

https://www.megaspin.net/download/butterfly/amicus-professional-manual-en.pdf

On the second page there. The robot head should move VERY easily once you loosen the knob. 
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2016 at 3:53pm
Thanks for the replies, everyone!

Originally posted by ybok ybok wrote:

I don't think that you can turn the head on the Amicus.  All position and spin direction are controlled by the control box so there is no need to turn the head.  What do you want to accomplish by turning the head?

Hmm. The robot head was actually facing the net when I got it. Maybe you're only supposed to turn it around once and leave it facing the correct direction. I assumed it was like that so it packs away better, so I turned it back after I finished with it.

In the manual for setup, it did say to loosen the screw and turn the head 180 degrees.

Originally posted by obesechopper obesechopper wrote:

Crane is correct.

Look at your owner's manual to locate the piece he is talking about. The manual describes exactly how to adjust the height. 

https://www.megaspin.net/download/butterfly/amicus-professional-manual-en.pdf

On the second page there. The robot head should move VERY easily once you loosen the knob. 

Hmm. That's exactly what I did. I loosened the screw (and even took it completely off). I still couldn't lift the head in any way. Maybe Mark is right that there is something stuck in there. I'll have another look next time.

Edited by mickd - 07/31/2016 at 3:53pm
obesechopper View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote obesechopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07/31/2016 at 4:01pm
Have you removed the head/pole entirely? Maybe you can look on there and see if anything (glue, gunk, etc.) is preventing it from sliding easily. 
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/01/2016 at 10:07am
Looks like I'll have to. The head just won't rise at all. And turning it 180 degrees to pack it away is a real struggle at the moment. 

There was an electrical engineer at the club today. He had a look as well and basically was like, yep it's stuck.

Hopefully I don't break the thing... getting it into Japan was no easy task.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2016 at 10:18am
I contacted Butterfly and they wanted me to send some pictures and if possible, a video.

So this is the video I made. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I did undo the screws at the base of the tube and I took it out, and I still couldn't figure out how to adjust the height.

Maybe I'm missing something very simple.

Here is a picture of the screw:
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2016 at 10:29am
That's crazy. The head should pull right off with the screw out. Butterfly should agree to return/replace with a working robot. The QC on the Amicus Pro isn't great for the cost. If you read the owners threads it's not that unusual to have to return a new one and get a replacement.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2016 at 10:51am
Woo, I got a reply back from them. Seems like I was right that it's stuck. Here is what they said.

I am afraid the solution will be a little "low-tech". The problem is with a certain batch of professional robots that have been assembled too fast in production - while the paint was still wet. So the problem you experience comes from the tube and the base being literally "glued together", much like you described.

The only solution is force - but it's pretty simple.

Please loosen the two screws on the base - see screens attached. Afterwards you can remove the entire head from the base. Please take a piece of wood and a hammer and loosen the tube from below by carefully striking the tube with the wood in-between to absorb some of the shock.

I was assured this is pretty simple. Please tell me how it went.

For its price, I'm really surprised their QC isn't a little better, but I'm glad I might not have to return the robot. I had it shipped to Japan, and getting it back to Germany would have been costly.
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/02/2016 at 4:38pm
Wow! Thanks for sharing the outcome...

Luckily, the solution is "low tech"...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 10:50am
Yep. That was the problem. I actually ended up fixing it by removing the head, and having my brother help me by twisting the outta tube while i was holding the head. He just came to visit me in Japan. Was easy to fix with two people. Definitely need the hammer if you're doing it by yourself, I think.
wilkinru View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilkinru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 11:58am
I can see how that would be confusing! It's tough to bang on your expensive new equipment.

I found flicking practice to be one of the biggest features of this robot. I don't think I'd ever develop a forehand flick otherwise.
TB ZLF
inverted
inverted
boispw View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boispw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/22/2017 at 7:33pm
Hi Guys: I recently bought the Amicus Pro.  I got it primarily for practising return of underspin serves.  Unfortunately, the manual is shockingly bad and the dealer I got it from seems to have no idea how it works.  I can't seem to get it to do any serves over the net - they all go into the base of the net.  Could someone please take me through it slowly as to how I set up a serve and what settings you could use for a basic sidespin/backspin serve (including the height of the head).  I clicked the s1 button twice in succession, but nothing seemed to change, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.
thx in advance.
dsc13 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dsc13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/23/2017 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by boispw boispw wrote:

Hi Guys: I recently bought the Amicus Pro.  I got it primarily for practising return of underspin serves.  Unfortunately, the manual is shockingly bad and the dealer I got it from seems to have no idea how it works.  I can't seem to get it to do any serves over the net - they all go into the base of the net.  Could someone please take me through it slowly as to how I set up a serve and what settings you could use for a basic sidespin/backspin serve (including the height of the head).  I clicked the s1 button twice in succession, but nothing seemed to change, so I'm wondering what I'm doing wrong.
thx in advance.

This video from Attila Malek should help. He demonstrates using the Power Pong 3000 which is the same robot as the Amicus but with a different label.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYfU_zPKjWU
boispw View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boispw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/24/2017 at 1:37am
ClapThumbs UpSmile Thanks you are a lifesaver!  That video was exactly what I needed!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic