Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Single-ply Hinoki C-pen Alternative

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
khvn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khvn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Single-ply Hinoki C-pen Alternative
    Posted: 08/13/2006 at 6:09pm

Guys, any recommendation for a single-ply hinoki C-pen as an alternative for the rather expensive Darker J-Speed 50/90 single-ply hinoki C-pen?

Also, less than 8mm thickness would be nice.

Sponsored Links

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/14/2006 at 12:23am
Khvn, considering the unhappy things about your J-Speed which has 8,5 mm, I would suggest you to get at least 9 mm, in the hope that there will be no crack as it is stronger.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

khvn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khvn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2006 at 11:54am

Aeoliah, actually I'd like something not as thick as my current 8.5mm blade. I think 6mm would be ideal. But then again, maybe single ply hinoki needs to be at least 8mm to have enough power?

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/15/2006 at 10:28pm
I am more concerned about the possible crack if it is too thin. If you experienced a crack on 8,5 mm, then it is advisable to take thicker blade in future, or get a multiply wood or carbon. With your craftmanship, I would opt for Schlager Carbon C-pen, and then reduce the size a bit to make it lighter.
I am waiting for the Schlager Carbon, as soon as it is available at the local store I will buy it. I don't want to buy from iruiru because it is much more expensive.
However after several months of use, I still find that my Borko is very very good. Perhaps it will remain the best blade for me also in the future.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

khvn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khvn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2006 at 1:10pm

Aeoliah, so far I like the feeling of single-ply hinoki the best. Other blades start to have a "deadpan" feeling to me and make me yearning for you know what. The only thing bothers me about my Speed 90 is the blade's 8.5mm thickness. It would be much nicer to hold at 6mm or something. Even if it cracks easier than others, I'll live with that. You can't expect a super model who not only cooks and clean but also play ping pong like Biba; Do you?

How's your Violin? Do you like it? I can't believe you're moving on to Schlager Carbon already!

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/16/2006 at 8:54pm
In that case there is no choice. I don't like problems, so I would avoid blade that will give me problems.
It would take a while before I will use my Violin (it is a reverse J-pen with bumps on both sides of the blade, meant for RPB) as I am concentrating on my Borko for the moment. As for Schlager Carbon, it is just for my collection, as the hardest and fastest blade, and because I tried a few shots with the shake hand version, and it felt good, so I think I will give it a try, but I have not got it, I am still waiting for its availability.
Referring to your comment that Nittaku does not give a good sound, I would add that Darker 7P2A Carbon does not sound nice (and not that fast either), and I don't like the sound, whilst Darker Speed 90 and Borko give a very nice sound.
I have not seen any thinner than 8,5 mm single ply hinoki blade, so I guess there must be some reason behind it. Either it is too fragile or it lacks something, perhaps speed.Isn't there any chance to borrow Borko ? Maybe you will like it.
I hope you will find the ideal blade, and when you do, please give me a review.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

agooding2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agooding2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2006 at 4:12pm

The Yasaka GX-600 is 3 ply hinoki and feels very much like single ply.  It is 8.3 mm thick but the edges come pre-rounded and the handle is narrow and conical so I didn't mind the thickness.

The head is rather small, 150mm round so not ideal for RPB but good otherwise.

There are some 5 ply shakehand blades made of hinoki which will be thinner, like the Nittaku Septear (6.7 mm) and Butterfly H.S. Cryzer (6.5 mm).  Not sure if there are Chinese penhold equivalents available.  I think a 1 ply less than 8.5 mm would be very fragile and not terribly fast.

-- Andrew

khvn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote khvn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2006 at 12:24am

Thanks, Andrew for your recommendation. I have the feeling that thinner multi-ply hinoki (say, something around 6.5 mm) wouldn't be as fast as my current J-Speed 90 (8.5 mm single-ply hinoki). I hope I'm wrong, but if that's the case then I wouldn't want to give up the speed just to get a thinner blade.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic