Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Butterfly Hadraw VR

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
koshkin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote koshkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Butterfly Hadraw VR
    Posted: 08/04/2016 at 1:30pm
I've been playing with old Stiga Bengtsson blades for quite some time and, honestly, I wasn't too motivated to change, but as new stuff comes out, my EJ tendencies sometimes take over.

I am not yet sure I will fully switch to Hadraw VR, but my initial impressions are very positive.  As a matter of background, I do not particularly care about blade speed.  Within certain limits, I can get used to almost anything.  Similarly, I am not too particular about blade weight, although I lean toward heavier blades.  Style-wise, I am mostly a two wing looper and lately, I've been living off of my serve more and more.

I originally gravitated to Bengtsson blades due to the fit of the handles: I like squarish straight handles that are a bit on a beefy side.

When I saw that the Hadraw VR has a Wenge outer ply, I figured I should try it.  The handle looked liek something I could live with.

I put Tibhar MX-S on the FH and new Juic Nano Spin II with Charisma sponge on the BH.  The Tibhar is my regular FH rubber.  NSII is a rubber I played with in the past, but Charisma sponge is new.  Normally, I play with Bryce Highspeed on the BH.

Let's first get something out of the way: construction quality of the Hadraw VR is absolutely superb.  One of the best made blades I have seen in a while.

Ply thicknesses and uniformity are flawless.  The blade is less than 6mm thick which I like.  The handle is made of a wood type that did not slip wet or dry, so I was never tempted to squeeze like I am holding on for dear life (that is important for me).

I am not sure when the core and secondary layers are since Butterfly did not release that information other than saying that secondary layers are a hard wood of some sort.  Visually it looks a little like spruce, but is harder.

Same for the core ply.  It sorta looks like ayous, but feels harder.

The blade is pretty fast: OFF- to OFF.  It reminds me a little bit of Yasaka Extra Offensive with better feel.  Despite sub-6mm thickness there is very little secondary vibration, so the feel of the ball is very direct and clear.  The blade is fairly bouncy, but not excessively so.  I did not have any control issues with it and I normally play with a significantly slower setup (or at least a less bouncy one).  

Most interestingly, spin generation was just as easy with it as with my regular blade.  Looping is very similar, although the throw is a bit lower. Somewhat predictable, blasting the ball from mid distance is easier with the Hadraw VR, while carefully spinning a half long ball over the net is easier with he old Stiga.
Serve, for some weird reason, was actually better.  
Blocking was a bit better.  
Pushes were harder to control, so that will take a little work.
Flips were definitely easier with this blade than with the classic AR Stiga.  That little bit of extra speed helped over the net with both traditional flips and BH banana flick.
Punching was easier with this blade.

I will play with it for a bit and see if I want to stick with it.  Weight and balance are almost identical between this and my regular blade, so going back and forth is not hard.

I'll work on the push and see how it goes.

ILya
BTY Mazunov ST
Dignics 05
Sponsored Links

opinari View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote opinari Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/04/2016 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by koshkin koshkin wrote:

I've been playing with old Stiga Bengtsson blades for quite some time and, honestly, I wasn't too motivated to change, but as new stuff comes out, my EJ tendencies sometimes take over.

I am not yet sure I will fully switch to Hadraw VR, but my initial impressions are very positive.  As a matter of background, I do not particularly care about blade speed.  Within certain limits, I can get used to almost anything.  Similarly, I am not too particular about blade weight, although I lean toward heavier blades.  Style-wise, I am mostly a two wing looper and lately, I've been living off of my serve more and more.

I originally gravitated to Bengtsson blades due to the fit of the handles: I like squarish straight handles that are a bit on a beefy side.

When I saw that the Hadraw VR has a Wenge outer ply, I figured I should try it.  The handle looked liek something I could live with.

I put Tibhar MX-S on the FH and new Juic Nano Spin II with Charisma sponge on the BH.  The Tibhar is my regular FH rubber.  NSII is a rubber I played with in the past, but Charisma sponge is new.  Normally, I play with Bryce Highspeed on the BH.

Let's first get something out of the way: construction quality of the Hadraw VR is absolutely superb.  One of the best made blades I have seen in a while.

Ply thicknesses and uniformity are flawless.  The blade is less than 6mm thick which I like.  The handle is made of a wood type that did not slip wet or dry, so I was never tempted to squeeze like I am holding on for dear life (that is important for me).

I am not sure when the core and secondary layers are since Butterfly did not release that information other than saying that secondary layers are a hard wood of some sort.  Visually it looks a little like spruce, but is harder.

Same for the core ply.  It sorta looks like ayous, but feels harder.

The blade is pretty fast: OFF- to OFF.  It reminds me a little bit of Yasaka Extra Offensive with better feel.  Despite sub-6mm thickness there is very little secondary vibration, so the feel of the ball is very direct and clear.  The blade is fairly bouncy, but not excessively so.  I did not have any control issues with it and I normally play with a significantly slower setup (or at least a less bouncy one).  

Most interestingly, spin generation was just as easy with it as with my regular blade.  Looping is very similar, although the throw is a bit lower. Somewhat predictable, blasting the ball from mid distance is easier with the Hadraw VR, while carefully spinning a half long ball over the net is easier with he old Stiga.
Serve, for some weird reason, was actually better.  
Blocking was a bit better.  
Pushes were harder to control, so that will take a little work.
Flips were definitely easier with this blade than with the classic AR Stiga.  That little bit of extra speed helped over the net with both traditional flips and BH banana flick.
Punching was easier with this blade.

I will play with it for a bit and see if I want to stick with it.  Weight and balance are almost identical between this and my regular blade, so going back and forth is not hard.

I'll work on the push and see how it goes.

ILya

Completely agreed with your impressions.  Amazing construction quality, especially coming from a Stiga.

I had previously used a Rosewood V and then an Intensity and was pleasantly surprised with how fast the Hadraw VR was - much faster than an Intensity and a click faster than the Rosewood.
Blade: BTY Zhang Jike ALC-CS

FH: BTY Tenergy 05

BH: BTY Rozena
piligrim View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piligrim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/05/2016 at 8:25am

Edited by piligrim - 09/05/2018 at 5:13pm
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2017 at 9:02am
Any update of these experiences with the blade? Are you still using it?
Someone else has tried it?
I don't find many reviews on the Internet although it was released more than a year ago. Blame the high price for sure.
I like a hard feeling in a blade, but I am intrigued if this blade would be too hard, with a hard wood ( wenge) outer ply and a second hard wood (not specified which) ply behind it.
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/05/2017 at 11:32am
It's not too hard.. I tried from a friend with T05 both sides and this one is not harder compared to Stiga Ebenholz V, for exemple. 

Wenge is not that hard.. It's also used on Gatien Conquest Blade and this one is medium-hard, IMO.

Good allwood blade only problem is its price. 
Dynaryz AGR /Yasaka Goiabao 5 / Dynaryz AGR
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2017 at 5:13pm
If I don't remember wrongly, you used the Butterfly SK 7 ( not the Korbel SK7, just the classical one) as your blade for certain time. This is a blade that I know well. How do you compare the Hadraw VR with the SK 7 in terms of feeling, speed, flexibility,etc.
Obrigado!
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/06/2017 at 8:23pm
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

If I don't remember wrongly, you used the Butterfly SK 7 ( not the Korbel SK7, just the classical one) as your blade for certain time. This is a blade that I know well. How do you compare the Hadraw VR with the SK 7 in terms of feeling, speed, flexibility,etc.
Obrigado!

Sk7 is a lot stiffer compared to H-VR. Also faster and heavier. Feeling both are medium-hard.

H-VR is not so flexible like older 5 ply allwoods like Dicon, Stiga OFF Classic, Avalox P500, Korbel... It is a little stiffer but not like 7 ply allwoods.

I would say H-VR is a tad faster compared to Korbel but being harder and stiffer. 

Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03/08/2017 at 3:52pm
Oh, the speed comparison with SK7 is a big surprise to me...
I would have bet that Hadraw VR was faster than the SK7.

Edited by Makelele - 03/08/2017 at 3:55pm
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2019 at 1:19pm
is Stiga Nostalgic Offensive Hadraw VR's clone?
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2019 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

Obrigado!

Sk7 is a lot stiffer compared to H-VR. Also faster and heavier. Feeling both are medium-hard.

H-VR is not so flexible like older 5 ply allwoods like Dicon, Stiga OFF Classic, Avalox P500, Korbel... It is a little stiffer but not like 7 ply allwoods.

I would say H-VR is a tad faster compared to Korbel but being harder and stiffer. 

How would you compare  to clipper?
AMonteiro View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMonteiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/02/2019 at 6:05pm
mykonos96, Clipper and Hadraw VR have nothing in common, just two worlds appart.

clipper is 7ply stiff and thick with soft limba outer ply, VR is a 5ply thin with hard outer layer.

As I remember you are allways searching for some blade like old quality Clippers, so maybe you should try to make a custom blade with OSP and end your search. They worth the price.

Edited by AMonteiro - 11/02/2019 at 6:05pm
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2019 at 12:55am
Originally posted by AMonteiro AMonteiro wrote:

mykonos96, Clipper and Hadraw VR have nothing in common, just two worlds appart.

clipper is 7ply stiff and thick with soft limba outer ply, VR is a 5ply thin with hard outer layer.

As I remember you are allways searching for some blade like old quality Clippers, so maybe you should try to make a custom blade with OSP and end your search. They worth the price.

I m  looking for a blade a tad faster than clipper but same feel
Ray View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/03/2019 at 3:16am
Why don't you start a new topic or ask in some Clipper related thread? Btw, Stiga Clipper CR or Clipper CC should be similar and faster.
Life is too short for defensive play.

https://twitter.com/spinnier_com
fb.me/spinnier
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/04/2019 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Why don't you start a new topic or ask in some Clipper related thread? Btw, Stiga Clipper CR or Clipper CC should be similar and faster.

Just wanted to know how stiff hadraw is.I had clipper cc but not similar
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2019 at 7:44am
I'll get one on Tuesday. I'll tell you my review next week.
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
Dream1700 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dream1700 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by mykonos96 mykonos96 wrote:

Originally posted by Ray Ray wrote:

Just wanted to know how stiff hadraw is.I had clipper cc but not similar

I don't know if Stiga Nostalgic blades have the same build as Hadraw (all have wenge outer). For the nostalgic series you can see that they are very flexible according to this review. They are nothing like Clipper CR (or regular Clipper). Also, check out other reviews from the same site where he analyzes various clipper-type blades.

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/09/2019 at 3:36pm
I have one for sale if anyone interested
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/10/2019 at 2:18am
Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

VR not VK.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 11:46am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Originally posted by DreiZ DreiZ wrote:

VR not VK.

Oops, misread.
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
doraemon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doraemon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/12/2019 at 8:52pm
Not to discourage you, but I heard that Hadraw Series are discontinued.

So if you like it, you'd better stock it.
Blade : Just wood
FH : black rubber
BH : red rubber
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic