Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Spectol ???

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which Spectol ???
    Posted: 08/09/2016 at 6:24pm
Now that US Nationals is over, it is time to consider possible equipment changes.  I have been playing with 802-40 with an Air sponge from Cole's for about 2 yrs on my Bh.  Several Bh pips players have suggested that I need something a little more funky to take on the 2 wing Tenergy loopers.  I am very offensive with my Bh.  I like to open against pushes whenever I can and often serve underspin to get pushes back to my Bh.   I counter-hit and punch block more than I do defensive blocks.  I do like to switch between shots with a little spin (rolls against underspin and a lightly brushed counter against topspin) and dead flat shots (against underspin or medium topspin).  I am trying to learn to hit through the spin on slower, higher loops.

With that in mind I am looking at trying out Spectol.  However, there are several versions.  I am not sure I even know all of them.  At TableTenniisStore.us they off Spectol 21, Spectol Speed, and Spectol Soft.  I think there is also just a plain Spectol (not on their site).   Somewhere I seem to remember seeing a new Spectol Red and Spectol Blue.  So could anyone kind of explain the differences (particularly what they do worse or better than the others) and suggest which one might be the best for my game.

I do not what to stray too far from 802-40.  So if there is something else I should consider I am open to suggestions.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mark - My acne cleared up but now I have pimples showing up on my racket
Sponsored Links

roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2016 at 6:45pm
Butterfly Challenger Attack 1.9 is better than any Spectol from my experience.  Three-time Olympian and nine-time US national champ Gao Jun recommended it to me and I am glad I listened.
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/09/2016 at 10:44pm
TSP Spinpips is much closer to 802-40 than the Spectol series. The Spectol pips are smaller and less grippy, and are more for hitting through spin rather than creating spin. The original spectol is still by far the most popular. I've not heard of the spectol soft, but I suspect that's the original.
Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2016 at 1:09am
Forget about Spectol speed it requires very heavy boosting/speed gluing and even after that it's not better than the original Spectol after speed gluing/boosting. It is better for forehand short pips play.

Spectol soft is the original Spectol. Though playable without boosting/speed gluing it benefits greatly if you do so.

Spectol 21is softer than the original Spectol. It is a little more lively. It was made post-speed glue ban but pre-booster ban so it was meant to be boosted.

Spectol Red and Blue were made for the new plastic ball so expect a speed glue effect built in. Red is softer and Blue is harder.

In my opinion Red is probably the best bet. All 5 of these rubbers have the same topsheet so it's the sponges and tension that differ. Considering we now play in post-boosting ban and plastic ball era; Red should be the ticket for your backhand
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
JohnnyChop View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnnyChop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/10/2016 at 11:50am
Has any one here played with red and blue?
729 Battle 2 Yasaka Goibao 5 Nittaku Fastarc G1   
Nittaku Fastarc G1 Butterfly Cypress Max
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2016 at 10:08pm
it should come down to how you play. as in if you use s.p. more to attack, to redirect, or to make it difficult to return. then you can choose sponge thickness and hardness appropriately. 

Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/21/2016 at 10:37pm
Well in my case,

I attack by redirecting in order to make it difficult to return.

Seriously,

I would say that I use my Bh primarily for attacking.  However, my attacks are based on placement much more than power.  As the level of my opponent goes up I find myself playing much more of a redirecting counter-attacking game with active blocks.  I very seldom do any of the kind of short or extreme angle blocking where I plan to just keep blocking until I can force an error.

Based on that info which Spectol might you recommend.

Mark
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2016 at 11:03pm
bh primarily for attacking, counter-attacking -> spectol 21. :P
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 1:45am
Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

bh primarily for attacking, counter-attacking -> spectol 21. :P

But why choose 21 instead of red?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 3:30am
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

Forget about Spectol speed it requires very heavy boosting/speed gluing and even after that it's not better than the original Spectol after speed gluing/boosting. It is better for forehand short pips play.

Spectol soft is the original Spectol. Though playable without boosting/speed gluing it benefits greatly if you do so.

Spectol 21is softer than the original Spectol. It is a little more lively. It was made post-speed glue ban but pre-booster ban so it was meant to be boosted.

Spectol Red and Blue were made for the new plastic ball so expect a speed glue effect built in. Red is softer and Blue is harder.

In my opinion Red is probably the best bet. All 5 of these rubbers have the same topsheet so it's the sponges and tension that differ. Considering we now play in post-boosting ban and plastic ball era; Red should be the ticket for your backhand

How is the sink and control of spectol red?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 11:49am
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

How is the sink and control of spectol red?

I've never tried red or blue. I've only read up on it.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by roundrobin roundrobin wrote:

Butterfly Challenger Attack 1.9 is better than any Spectol from my experience.  Three-time Olympian and nine-time US national champ Gao Jun recommended it to me and I am glad I listened.

BTY Challenger Attack is a great allround pips rubber. This rubber needs a fast stiffer blade to bring out it's potential. Not so great on ALL or ALL+ soft blades. More spin than most pips. Great for attacking serves. My favorite pips rubber.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 1:03pm
Spectol 21
SPEEDY
Viscaria Super ALC ST
JOOLA Rhyzen CMD(FH)
Nittaku Moristo SP (BH)
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

BTY Challenger Attack is a great allround pips rubber. This rubber needs a fast stiffer blade to bring out it's potential. Not so great on ALL or ALL+ soft blades. More spin than most pips. Great for attacking serves. My favorite pips rubber.

How much sink compared to 802?
Bilbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 3:04pm
I've never used 802, but I've used the original Spectol and Challenger, it's a great bh rubber due to its control on blocking and pushing.  I found it Spectol and Challenger quite similar, they both give a bit of sink but also enough spins.  From my own experience, I am currently using VO>102 on my fh and switching between VO>101 and Breakout on my bh.  If you want something with attacking power and can spin, VO>102 is great.  If you want sinking feeling, I haven't tried one that is as sinking as the VO>101, the trajectory is so low, it's hard to control at first, but when blocking and hitting it gives very good sinking balls.  Breakout would be a little easier to control and can attack serves with some spin quite easily, the trajectory is a little higher than VO>101 but not as much as VO>102 (as in, don't depend on Breakout to give you consistent loops), but it still gives quite a bit of sink when blocking a top-spin ball correctly.  I really like the breakout on my bh, but is experimenting in the summer with VO>101 to give more 'sink'.

Edited by Bilbo - 08/24/2016 at 3:06pm
Stiga Optimum Sync
FH: Victas VO>103
BH: der Materialspezialist Breakout 2.0
Lefty
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Bilbo Bilbo wrote:

I've never used 802, but I've used the original Spectol and Challenger, it's a great bh rubber due to its control on blocking and pushing.  I found it Spectol and Challenger quite similar, they both give a bit of sink but also enough spins.  From my own experience, I am currently using VO>102 on my fh and switching between VO>101 and Breakout on my bh.  If you want something with attacking power and can spin, VO>102 is great.  If you want sinking feeling, I haven't tried one that is as sinking as the VO>101, the trajectory is so low, it's hard to control at first, but when blocking and hitting it gives very good sinking balls.  Breakout would be a little easier to control and can attack serves with some spin quite easily, the trajectory is a little higher than VO>101 but not as much as VO>102 (as in, don't depend on Breakout to give you consistent loops), but it still gives quite a bit of sink when blocking a top-spin ball correctly.  I really like the breakout on my bh, but is experimenting in the summer with VO>101 to give more 'sink'.

How hard is break out sponge? I dont know what to use in cpen . dont want to lose a lot of control but some sink is desired.
tuco View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tuco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2016 at 12:51am

....  If you want something with attacking power and can spin, VO>102 is great.  If you want sinking feeling, I haven't tried one that is as sinking as the VO>101, the trajectory is so low, it's hard to control at first, but when blocking and hitting it gives very good sinking balls.  ..

Try Killer or Killer Pro.  Easier to control than VO>101 and gives very good sink.  Hit balls would just skid off the table.  
The Dark Side is:
"Quicker, easier, more seductive" - Yoda

Boss1703 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss1703 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2016 at 5:23am
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping/posts/1823233861242458?notif_t=notify_me_page&notif_id=1472114531623861

some info about the spectol versions (and alle the tsp stuff)
https://www.facebook.com/pierrefiassemapageping

updated 20.11.10 http://bosscollection.skyrock.com

http://tennisdetablecomtests.skyrock.com

ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2016 at 7:45am
Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

I do not what to stray too far from 802-40.  So if there is something else I should consider I am open to suggestions.

Spectol is different than 802-40. If you want something similar to 802-40 but faster, spinnier and good for attacking then you should use Haifu dolphin. I've tried it once on my friend's blade and it's nice, too sensitive to incoming spin though.

I play with 802-40 (my first pips) on my cpen FH . I find it too slow for my liking. I've ordered hexer pips in max sponge which'll be arriving in two days. Will update you how hexer pips plays in comparison to 802-40 then. I've heard that it's faster and more spinnier
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2016 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by ronakvyas86 ronakvyas86 wrote:

Originally posted by mjamja mjamja wrote:

Spectol is different than 802-40. If you want something similar to 802-40 but faster, spinnier and good for attacking then you should use Haifu dolphin. I've tried it once on my friend's blade and it's nice, too sensitive to incoming spin though.

I play with 802-40 (my first pips) on my cpen FH . I find it too slow for my liking. I've ordered hexer pips in max sponge which'll be arriving in two days. Will update you how hexer pips plays in comparison to 802-40 then. I've heard that it's faster and more spinnier

Dolphin and 802 40 are not similar.
Bilbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2016 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

How hard is break out sponge? I dont know what to use in cpen . dont want to lose a lot of control but some sink is desired.

hmm...I am not sure what the density is...but it's kinda medium to hard to feel, I personally likes harder sponges (ie. the sponge for VO>102) cause I am more of a two-winged attacker, but the breakout has been very good for me when blocking with my bh, easy to control, and has some sinking feelings.  Sorry couldn't quite answer your question.
Stiga Optimum Sync
Lefty
mjamja View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjamja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2016 at 1:40pm
With 802-40 I am pretty good at throwing in an occasional flat hit that is less spiny than my normal stroke and that results in a lot of netted balls.  I would like to have something that does allow me to do some of that kind of spin variation.

However, right now when I am forced to block defensively with the 802-40 it just seems that it is almost effortless for my opponent to follow up with a very aggressive winner.  Was hoping I could get something that was a little more sinking or funky on the more defensive blocks, but still lets me attack and vary the spin on my counter-hits at least a little bit.

From the replies it seems like Spectol Soft (original Spectol) would work just fine.  I might even go the really cheap route and try out some of the RITC 799 pips that are supposedly kind of a cross between short and medium pips.

Thanks for everyone's input, information, and advice.

Mark
Bilbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2016 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by tuco tuco wrote:

....  If you want something with attacking power and can spin, VO>102 is great.  If you want sinking feeling, I haven't tried one that is as sinking as the VO>101, the trajectory is so low, it's hard to control at first, but when blocking and hitting it gives very good sinking balls.  ..

Try Killer or Killer Pro.  Easier to control than VO>101 and gives very good sink.  Hit balls would just skid off the table.  

Good suggestion, I will try that next time when my EJ bones itch ;)
Stiga Optimum Sync
Lefty
vanjr View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2016 at 5:04pm
No doubt 799 will have "more sink" but less speed/spin than 802-40. 
roundrobin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roundrobin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2016 at 8:24pm
No SP will create enough "sink" by itself.  You have to create it by using more of a chop block motion than over-the-ball blocking.
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2016 at 9:28pm

No SP will create enough "sink" by itself.  You have to create it by using more of a chop block motion than over-the-ball blocking.

At the last camp I attended, Coach Li Zhen Shi strongly suggested that I start doing just that with my backhand.  Since blocking is such a reflex action, it has been hard for me to do that during rallies.  I tend to fall back on old reactions.  But I have had some really good success with that kind of stroke in service return.  So I'm optimistic about it helping when I can finally manage to implement it better in rallies. (Hardbat [Dr. Evil], of course - not short pips with sponge.)
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
Bilbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/26/2016 at 10:57am
Just as an aside, the two best players from my club, both previous Canadian National Doubles champions, uses different pips on one side.  One is a cpen player, he used Challenger for years...tried a few different ones and eventually went back to Challenger again because it gives him option to produce more funky balls compare to others.  He's currently using Nittaku Hammond FA Speed because it gives similar feelings but faster (he's getting older and needs that extra kick he says).  The other player used to use Challenger as well, but after trying the different pips I bought to test things out, she settled on the VO>101 cause it's a little more funky and gives a bit more sinking than the other ones she tried.

Edited by Bilbo - 08/26/2016 at 12:32pm
Stiga Optimum Sync
Lefty
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic