Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why Li Xiaoxia retires

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pete73 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Pete73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Li Xiaoxia retires
    Posted: 08/22/2016 at 2:01pm
Sponsored Links

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2016 at 3:29pm
that's quite a trade off, running a cafe or work / play for CNT (or some other org)
wturber View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wturber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2016 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Pete73 Pete73 wrote:

She may have a rude awakening to the realities of running a restaurant or similar business.  My experience is that it can be fairly stressful.  Also, if you are making the food, you'll have little time to visit with customers.  If you visit with customers, you'll be mostly having others make the food.  Margins are tight. Stress can be high.  But maybe stress is relative.  Relative to being a top table tennis player, maybe stress would be low.
Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com
Hardbat: Nittaku Resist w/ Dr. Evil or Friendship 802-40 OX
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/22/2016 at 9:57pm
Maybe she could coach US TT women team?
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2016 at 10:11pm
Yes, of course, it could be it... it is just that people who are fed up and really crying for normality not always pronounce it to the media, they probably quietly go on their new way. Or maybe it depends on the person?
Either way, she has been one of the top three women in the world, for a long time, and now the choice may be her's... which I wish her.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
chongqinghotpot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/23/2016 at 10:55pm
She said having a small cafe/restaurant is her dream since childhood and she is ready to pursue it. I believe her.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 7:47am
Originally posted by chongqinghotpot chongqinghotpot wrote:

She said having a small cafe/restaurant is her dream since childhood and she is ready to pursue it. I believe her.

Exactly. And one of the things that helps such establishments is having a celebrity owner. She will do quite well.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 8:02am
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

Exactly. And one of the things that helps such establishments is having a celebrity owner. She will do quite well.

+1

I was just about to say that. Think people will want to go to Li Xiaoxia's cafe? :)  That place will be packed.

I'm guessing she'll be the owner and come in from time to time to help out or do whatever she wants to do. But mainly she'll be there to show up, check on things and talk to customers. No way, like wturner said, that she can do both as in cooking or whatever and spending time talking to people. 

She's been playing TT as a job for 20 years. I could see personally how that'd be hard to imagine because I love this game but I only play it a couple of times a week and get plenty of opportunities to recharge my batteries. I'm sure I'd get it if it was 6 days a week mostly all day for 20 years. :) 

I don't blame her for being ready to step away. I wish her well.
naijachief View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naijachief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 8:08am
What do the top Chinese women do after retirement? Where is Zhang Yining? Guo Yan? Wang Nan?
who no know go know
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 8:35am
Zhang married an older banker and moved to Honghong. Guo Yan is the head coach for the women's team of Beijing; Wang Nan married a rich developer and works for the government.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chongqinghotpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 8:43am
Li in the interview said she actually enjoys cooking and baking. Although her fame in TT would surely help to attract clients, I think she would do significant amount of hands on kind of work instead of just dealing with PR. She impresses me as down to the earth kind of person and she should do well in that business.
USATT rating 2200
05Vis64
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 9:00am

Li in the interview said she actually enjoys cooking and baking. Although her fame in TT would surely help to attract clients, I think she would do significant amount of hands on kind of work instead of just dealing with PR. She impresses me as down to the earth kind of person and she should do well in that business.

Agreed.

I don't believe she will open a big establishment to start off with and she will likely scale it initially to meet her needs. She doesn't have to cook all the time and talk all the time to be happy. She just needs to get enough of both and she might ebbed try other things.
Cybershape Carbon
amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 4:05pm
Originally posted by naijachief naijachief wrote:

What do the top Chinese women do after retirement? Where is Zhang Yining? Guo Yan? Wang Nan?

Zhang Yining married and became a student (spent a semester in Wisconsin). Guo Yan is a CNT coach? Wang Nan married.

Maybe LXX could open a bakery in San Francisco. Quieter life than in China.
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 4:16pm
Women sport stars in China often look for rich men as soon as they retire.

amateur View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amateur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

And rich men often look for retiring (but still young) women sport stars...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 4:30pm
It seems that Li is actually a very normal human being. She wants to lead normal, non-celebrity life and be happy. I wish her all the best on that path.
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
sandiway View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sandiway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2016 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by amateur amateur wrote:

Originally posted by sandiway sandiway wrote:

And rich men often look for retiring (but still young) women sport stars...
Actually, rich Chinese men usually look for actresses (beauty) and singers first; sport stars aren't usually first choice...

Edited by sandiway - 08/24/2016 at 4:56pm
DonnOlsen View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonnOlsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2016 at 11:43am
On a side note: what has happened with Chen Meng? She has disappeared, I think.

Thanks
Tenergy: Two weeks of heaven, followed by three months of excellence, then, a nice rubber.
DistantStar View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DistantStar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2016 at 11:54am
Wwaldner owns a bar in Beijing, just saying...
Nittaku Acoustic
Xiom Sigma Euro 2.0
Tibhar Genius Sound 2.0
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2016 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by DonnOlsen DonnOlsen wrote:

On a side note: what has happened with Chen Meng? She has disappeared, I think.

Thanks

She is still on the CNT. If you watch the preparation matches for the Olympics, she actually beat Liu Shiwen 3-1. Zhu Yuling and her are still the top 2 players after Ding Ning and Liu Shiwen. Chen Meng had just been a step behind Zhu Yuling and gets less exposure. She was also injured for a while and that kept her out of some tournaments.
Cybershape Carbon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic