Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now that's what I call Hardbat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
liulin04 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liulin04 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Now that's what I call Hardbat
    Posted: 08/29/2016 at 1:08am
Sponsored Links

Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 4:17am
But.. there's people in every seat of the arena! Where they giving away tickets for free or organising school trips? 

Also, I was expecting to be more impressed with the game. I suppose the development of technique, coaching, etc is about 40 years behind table tennis and far fewer people practice this sport as seriously as table tennis. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 4:38am
Not a fan of the unique scoring system, first to 15 wins, no need for a 2 point margin. Can't think of any other racket sport where you win a set by a single point. 

Also, each player seems to have a double pointer wild-card they can play at the business end of the set. I guess that's been introduced to make it more exciting to the spectators. Whilst it does make certain points more important and introduces a slight extra tactical element, I feel like it's just a gimmick really and makes it all feel more like a bad games show. 
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 9:29am
That's what I'd call hardbat too, if it were hardbat.  But it wasn't.  It was a segment from the quarterfinals of the 2016 World Championships of Ping Pong, played in January 2016 with identical sandpaper covered rackets at the Alexandra Palace in London, England.  The contestants were Andrew Rushton of England and Lubomir Pistev of Slovakia.

The WCPP website indicates the costs of tickets for the event, so I presume there were relatively few freebies.  And yes the seats were full, as is not always the case at ITTF events.

This was offensive spin reversal table tennis played at a level at which none of us (well perhaps Dan Seemiller) is capable of playing with a sandpaper racket untensored, unboosted, unantispined, and unlongpipped.  It is not 1970s style table tennis, and I have both seen and played 1970s style table tennis.

I'm not a fan of the 15-point format or the 2-point gimmick.  Being a traditionalist, I'd rather see a 21-point format, 5-serves per player, and 38 mm. balls.  Then you'd have a really fast game, and maybe a bit more Gonzalez-Hoff style defense.  It takes incredible precision to topspin forehand and backhand, however, the way these guys do.  Pick up a sandbat and try it yourself sometime.   

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 10:17am
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

(...)
This was offensive spin reversal table tennis played at a level at which none of us (well perhaps Dan Seemiller) is capable of playing with a sandpaper racket untensored, unboosted, unantispined, and unlongpipped.  It is not 1970s style table tennis, and I have both seen and played 1970s style table tennis.
(...)
It takes incredible precision to topspin forehand and backhand, however, the way these guys do.  Pick up a sandbat and try it yourself sometime.   

I suppose as is often the case, when you don't quite understand something, you appreciate it less. Didn't realise Andrew Rushton is a high-level inverted player as well (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S__jC4sIwPQ). 

And what does spin reversal table tennis mean? If you play a top spin to me, for me to return a topspin to you do I just have to make the sandpaper bat brush the ball much faster than with a modern set up?

I'd happily try this of course, if ever I saw one of these paddles somewhere. Haven't even seen one for sale anywhere, nevermind someone playing with one. 

With TTX, hardbat, Ping Pong as seen here, and table tennis there are quite a few different avenues to explore.

Edited by Simon_plays - 08/29/2016 at 11:34am
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 1:11pm
I really like the WCPP.  They provide a more accessible, fan-friendly version of TT.  Of course it's not real hardbat.  There's nobody wearing pants.  These are real athletes (just messing with ya BM.  LOL!).  If they continue, I think in about 20 years they will be in competition with the TT we now play.  At the very least, they could be a less visible version of TT the way 10k is compared to the 100m sprint or ice dancing is to figure skating.  
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic