Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

One Sided Table Tennis

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: One Sided Table Tennis
    Posted: 08/29/2016 at 7:37am
Me and Fred Yesterday.

I can still take him out away from the table though.
Sponsored Links

suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 9:07am
Pretty wicked serve at 0:25 in the video. Disguised it well.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 9:58am
He does have some really good serves. I'm a pretty good returner of serves and I face them around 5 times a week and still can't pick the one that goes away from me. The one that comes back in to me tends to get me right in the crossover point and then there is one straight down the line that tends to win the point outright also.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 10:17am
Any league/tournament matches with other juniors?
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 11:21am
No. I never record his matches.
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2016 at 1:15pm
That's too bad.  It's always good to see how players perform under pressure.  Or what their tendencies are when they're down  10-9 or something like that.  Oh well, nice video nonetheless.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2016 at 5:31am
Obviously he looks way better here, that what he would look like in real matches against a good attacking player.There were so many points were he would have lost against an attacker, where the man just played the ball on the table instead of putting pressure on him.His serves are mostly long so he definitely needs to improve on his serves and receive game.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2016 at 6:45am
I'm sorry, but you are seriously underestimating the quality of and spin on his serves and the unpredictability of his ball placement during general play if you think I should be able to attack more. Had I been some noob that he was playing then you would be correct, but I was ranked in the top 150 in England when playing competitively with a victory over a player ranked 13 in the country and also an 11-0 win over the number 3 woman an the country in competitive matches. I believe also that I am playing better than ever.
As for videoing his matches, it isn't something I ever plan to do.

Edited by JKC - 08/30/2016 at 6:46am
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2016 at 6:59am
There were a lot of points were you could have put pressure on him, but didn't.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2016 at 9:02am
As a player, do you always get to do what you want? Or does the ability of your opponent ever prevent you from doing exactly what you want to do.
i do object also to being told I am not a good attacking player which I am, just not able to be when pinned on my crossover with serves and kept guessing where he is hitting the ball. If you do not understand the difference, then you must play a very simple version of the game.

Edited by JKC - 08/30/2016 at 9:10am
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2016 at 7:46pm
Over the years, I've watched many of Fred's videos. I've always refrained from commenting. Why? Because I'm smart enough to know that you, JKC, and nowadays Fred know a thousand times more than I ever will. Which is why I find it so amusing when others post "advice", sorting out Fred's problems and criticising a kid who could take them apart with his right hand.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 3:54am
Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I noticed the fh is evolving towards something more "chinese"; he still has most of the times that timo fh loop with an arc going up before brush and somehow down after contact, using the wrist; this is clearly adding control to his fh loop; t<span style="line-height: 1.4;">hen I saw him going ma long style at some point: relax, rotating around his left leg, letting his shoulder/arm go free before a wicked forearm snap. The points I have in mind are the ones right after changing sides at 1m02s. </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">I feel like his fh is at the crossroads of a major evolution and that he'll keep gaining power, deepness, lower throw, increased spin and spin; that does not mean he should leave his main/actual fh go away because it is so loaded! variation is our friend. </span><b style="line-height: 16.8px;">I hope I make sense and that it's not just a perspective effect; It might be (?)
<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">Of course the bh is more confident than ever.
<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">The long serves, especially the fast, slightly underspin ones are so nasty!!! (those look like his bread and butter).<div style="line-height: 16.8px;">

He went away to an England training camp last week and came back with more confidence in his forehand. He does seem to have increases his rotation which has given him more consistency when hitting hard.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 5:43am
Originally posted by JKC JKC wrote:

As a player, do you always get to do what you want? Or does the ability of your opponent ever prevent you from doing exactly what you want to do.
i do object also to being told I am not a good attacking player which I am, just not able to be when pinned on my crossover with serves and kept guessing where he is hitting the ball. If you do not understand the difference, then you must play a very simple version of the game.
0:37 you had the advantage but didn't use it.Other players would have used their forehand and finished it off.At 1:40 you managed to recover and he was just blocking, yet you still were to far away from the table to put pressure on him.The point after that is arguable, because he surprised you with his fast serve and you didn't have a stable stance after that.but seriously why do you get offended so easily?I never said you were a bad attacker so get over it.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 5:49am
In your initial reply, you clearly say that 'in a real match against a good attacker....' which would imply that you think that I am not a good attacker.
you probably need to watch a few less pro vids and come back into the real world when judging what other forum members are capable of. although you look at the vid and see someone not moving into position to hit a more positive shot taking a backhand rather than a forehand or blocking rather than being more attacking, my shots are very deceptive. Though the swing is short, the wrist is very quick and there is a lot more spin than you think on my shots.

Edited by JKC - 08/31/2016 at 6:01am
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 6:41am
Well I could have worded it better so sorry for misunderstanding,but im not thinking that you should play like a pro.I just told you what other good attackers( doesn't mean your not good)would have done.You don't have to be a pro to make two more steps and finish the ball of with a forehand.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 7:04am
When a ball is there to be finished I will finish and when there is time to take 2 steps and hit a forehand then I will if the ball received is suitable. As it wasn't, there wasn't and it wasn't, then I didn't.
You must be a much better player than me to be able to do these things. If you have a video of you playing, please share a link so I can learn.

Edited by JKC - 08/31/2016 at 7:07am
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 7:28am
I'm just saying that if the kid plays against physically fit players that are fast, he has to deal with those things.Also your assumption wouldn't fit for everyone.Just because someone can do something better that someone doesn't mean he is generally better.I know guys that have better serves than me, but that doesn't mean that they are better.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 8:51am
And I'm just saying that I don't know your level and whether you are able to do the things that you are suggesting I do and whether you understand the quality of the ball you are asking me to do it against. So until I know your standard and whether you make your suggestions based on your own ability and experience or from watching a few vids and deciding that this is how the game should be played I will stick to a game that I know is effective for me. There is a whole lot more to being a good player than looking like a good player.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 3:31pm
There is Not "one right"way to play the game.I'm saying that the stroke you've chosen at that point was not the best one, but I understand that the suggestion I have made, requires a certain level of physical fitness.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 3:55pm
That's it, keep hammering away at the physical fitness route rather than the skill route. You have clearly lost the argument and failed (in this thread as well as others which I have read) to demonstrate much more than a rudimentary knowledge of our sport. Keep trying though and when you feel up to it post a vid of yourself for us to enjoy.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 4:03pm
What happened there?
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 4:13pm
Must find that thread again if it hasn't been removed.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 4:54pm
Probably best to let sleeping dogs lie.
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 5:11pm
Wise words
Tassie52 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tassie52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 7:13pm

That's it, keep hammering away at the physical fitness route rather than the skill route. You have clearly lost the argument and failed (in this thread as well as others which I have read) to demonstrate much more than a rudimentary knowledge of our sport. Keep trying though and when you feel up to it post a vid of yourself for us to enjoy.
I predict there will be no video from Tt Gold, precisely because he can't do half of what you can.  Which is the point I made previously.  Armchair experts can all play better than the pros - until you ask them to post a video.  He obviously missed the post where you gave your credentials, or else is so arrogant he still thinks he knows better than you do.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 7:37pm
I don't worry too much, and I'm happy to debate with anyone about my game or Fred's. 
More debate = More views = More adsense money. lol.

Fred is just looking forward to getting some new equipment to play with in the next few days, so he is keen to play as much as possible. He is also planning to make a service video so maybe I can learn to receive them better.

Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 9:31pm
Jkc funny how you can't take critique.Keep thinking that you know everything better.Oh I forgot you were in the top 150 in England, but I'm not going to start this as I might get banned by some butt hurt people that can't accept the fact that there countries....Anyways no point in talking to you anymore, even though it would be interesting to know where I failed with my posts.Bye.
kenneyy88 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenneyy88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 9:53pm
Looks a lot stronger than in the past. Any physical training? or just getting older?
JacekGM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JacekGM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/31/2016 at 10:55pm
I have just spent some time reading this... JKC indeed is a straight shooter. I must say that I pretty much agree with Tt Gold, am a little surprised he let it it go... interesting.

The requirement for the commentator to be a very high level player in order to accept his/her remarks is simply absurd. This has been practiced here at times, by some macho/ pretentious types, but is just pathetic.

The truth is the kid is very good, but it is also true that at this point in his development (physical, as a player, and mental) his game needs to be analyzed from all these angles, and going soft on him e.g. such that he can show his strong shots simply does not make sense. Instead, filming and analyzing his matches from real competitions has to be recommended, as Tt Gold pointed out.
(1) Juic SBA (Fl, 85 g) with Bluefire JP3 (red max) on FH and 0.6 mm DR N Desperado on BH; (2) Yinhe T7 (Fl, 87 g) with Bluefire M3 (red 2.0) on FH and 0.6 mm 755 on BH.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/01/2016 at 1:36am

And I'm just saying that I don't know your level and whether you are able to do the things that you are suggesting I do and whether you understand the quality of the ball you are asking me to do it against. So until I know your standard and whether you make your suggestions based on your own ability and experience or from watching a few vids and deciding that this is how the game should be played I will stick to a game that I know is effective for me. There is a whole lot more to being a good player than looking like a good player.
I don't want to get too deep into this argument because too much of this is being felt on a personal level and people are getting upset.  Still, I'd like to make a few points:

1) It's impossible to post videos without being critiqued.  You have to expect a lot of feedback that you don't like, don't agree with, or find insulting.  And you have to be prepared that some of those comments may be true.

Personally, I find it a lot more suspicious when people only post compliments.

2) Your skill level may be better than ever, but do you play with the same hunger -- the same ruthless will to win -- that you used in your more competitive days?  If you're playing well, but not playing to kill, that will produce "highlight matches" that look good in video, but don't reflect competitive ability.

I'm not saying this is the case here, but it's a possibility and you might not even realize it.

3) Let's suppose you're just playing "your" style, that has always served you well.  Then it's likely your son has developed his own style in a way that specifically counters your style and that he knows how to find your weak points.  

What I see in the video is that your son never looks worried, never looks confused.  That's what a tournament match video would reveal. Otherwise, it's really hard to see his full potential.

That said, I did enjoy the video.

Edited by benfb - 09/01/2016 at 1:39am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic