Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Advice on Backhand into Forehand

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2016 at 10:14pm
First impressions:

Serve: You should try moving as close to the endline as possible, this will give you much more control over the serve placement. Also stop trying to move forward when you serve, this would only make your serves inconsistent (could be solved by moving closer to the endline). In fact, if you watch top players, most of them do FH serves with their left (right for you) leg inside the endline. Try a parallel stance for your BH serves, I bet your stance with one feet way behind another is costing you a lot of control on your BH serve.

Your BH pushes and loops are a major loophole in your game now. Try to think weight transfer (right to left) when you do your BH loop, and and think of pulling the ball sideways from right to left as you loop it. Try pulling with your body instead of just your arm. Again, try to practise more BH looping against underspin (which is where you're struggling now). For pushes you need to brush the ball actively instead of just bumping the ball back. Bumping the ball makes it hard to control placement and height on pushes as you're completely at the mercy of the opponent's spin.

You also give your opponents very comfortable balls in terms of placement, mostly to your opponent's BH corner. Seems like you haven't discovered the dark side of lefty tactics! The wide FH is the hardest to get to for righties, just exploit that wide FH (esp with sidespin serves, loops and pushes), then switch to deep BH to jam them after they start moving towards their FH sides. The corners are your friend...
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/19/2016 at 10:57pm
Ty blahness. Those are some very simple things to try. 

I actually tried serving with parallel feet for my backhand serves a few times during that match, and it didn't make it any harder, so I'll stick with it.

I'll also try get closer to the end line. Another very easy thing to do. Just need to get my body to remember it.

I actually have no backhand loop at the moment. It's a huge issue for me. A lot of people know that, and return underspin balls to my backhand. 9 out of 10 times I'll have to push it back and wait for it to come to my forehand, or try and step around to attack it. I do sometimes attack it if I think it's close to a no spin ball, though. And even then I don't feel like I have any control.

I've never had the chance to practice something via multiball, so most of my "practice" comes from game play, or random play. Only recently I've been able to work on things I want to once a week, usually for about an hour. But I've been trying to improve my footwork, and consistency with my regular backhand counter so far.

As for my backhand pushes, I know they're far from perfect, but in a lot of cases I actually try to add underspin on the return. I have a very very small stroke with my backhand push. Sometimes it's only a few centimeters, but in general people say my pushes do have spin. Maybe not very heavy, but a decent amount. I only bump the ball back if I'm trying to return it very short, or if it's too short and I didn't get close enough in time.

As a leftie, one of the biggest issues I have is actually with a wide forehand ball. I'm not sure if that's just me, but it's good to see that righties struggle with it, too. My placement is horrible at the moment. I can never get good placement on my first attack, usually only if we get into a hitting rally. I guess I need to think more about better placement early.

As for serves, I do a lot more wide forehand serves with my pendulum serve, and a lot less with my reverse pendulum. My reasoning is that with the pendulum serve, the spin will move away from the player's forehand, so a wide forehand serve will be hard to reach. With the reverse pendulum, the serve goes into the body, so if I serve it wide, it'll come back slightly, making the distance not as far. Because of that I try to serve it so that it moves into the elbow area. If they don't move, they get an awkward return, and a lot of the times they don't move because the initial course makes it look like they'll have space, but then it curves into them.

I'll definitely practice more placement!!!!
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2016 at 6:45am
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Ty blahness. Those are some very simple things to try. 

I actually tried serving with parallel feet for my backhand serves a few times during that match, and it didn't make it any harder, so I'll stick with it.

I'll also try get closer to the end line. Another very easy thing to do. Just need to get my body to remember it.

I actually have no backhand loop at the moment. It's a huge issue for me. A lot of people know that, and return underspin balls to my backhand. 9 out of 10 times I'll have to push it back and wait for it to come to my forehand, or try and step around to attack it. I do sometimes attack it if I think it's close to a no spin ball, though. And even then I don't feel like I have any control.

I've never had the chance to practice something via multiball, so most of my "practice" comes from game play, or random play. Only recently I've been able to work on things I want to once a week, usually for about an hour. But I've been trying to improve my footwork, and consistency with my regular backhand counter so far.

As for my backhand pushes, I know they're far from perfect, but in a lot of cases I actually try to add underspin on the return. I have a very very small stroke with my backhand push. Sometimes it's only a few centimeters, but in general people say my pushes do have spin. Maybe not very heavy, but a decent amount. I only bump the ball back if I'm trying to return it very short, or if it's too short and I didn't get close enough in time.

As a leftie, one of the biggest issues I have is actually with a wide forehand ball. I'm not sure if that's just me, but it's good to see that righties struggle with it, too. My placement is horrible at the moment. I can never get good placement on my first attack, usually only if we get into a hitting rally. I guess I need to think more about better placement early.

As for serves, I do a lot more wide forehand serves with my pendulum serve, and a lot less with my reverse pendulum. My reasoning is that with the pendulum serve, the spin will move away from the player's forehand, so a wide forehand serve will be hard to reach. With the reverse pendulum, the serve goes into the body, so if I serve it wide, it'll come back slightly, making the distance not as far. Because of that I try to serve it so that it moves into the elbow area. If they don't move, they get an awkward return, and a lot of the times they don't move because the initial course makes it look like they'll have space, but then it curves into them.

I'll definitely practice more placement!!!!

A functional BH loop which can handle all sorts of balls thrown to you is quite essential for shakehanders, so that should be high on your priority list! I think what you're missing in your pushes is the extra oomph of acceleration in your wrists, aka the whip effect, when you've mastered that, it would make it hard for the opponent to return it well. You can practise it simply by pushing and chopping everything in practise matches. It's a shortcut to developing good feeling. I think another good way to master them is to learn how to serve tomahawk serves on both sides, it has similar mechanics of the pushes and you also get a good serve to boot.

Another easy way to train your loop against underspin is simply to serve heavy backspin all match long (don't vary your spin at all) and attack all the returns. Even if you lose 3-11 every game it would still do wonders for your game.

I'm training my BH over the table sidespin flip these days, so I simply commit to flipping every single short serve I encounter. This costed me many ugly losses but at least I have a semifunctional BH flip now which drives some opponents crazy haha....
-------
Viscaria

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2016 at 10:04am
mickd, what is the population of your town including surrounding areas that operate through it?
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2016 at 11:23am
Thanks blahness. I actually have a robot, but I lack the chance to use it (wherever I go, there are people around to play, which isn't a bad thing, but sometimes I do want to train solo). I think I'll have a chance to use it this week though, so I'll work on my backhand loop.

I'll also serve more short underspin serves to help improve my loop. It's very lacking at the moment.

@tom My city has 60k people. It's still classified as rural, though. My neighbouring city has about 70k.
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2016 at 11:45am

Thanks blahness. I actually have a robot, but I lack the chance to use it (wherever I go, there are people around to play, which isn't a bad thing, but sometimes I do want to train solo). I think I'll have a chance to use it this week though, so I'll work on my backhand loop.

I'll also serve more short underspin serves to help improve my loop. It's very lacking at the moment.

@tom My city has 60k people. It's still classified as rural, though. My neighbouring city has about 70k.

your town is doing quite well in terms of TT for 60k.  I asked because in Japan rural could mean something different than in NA.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/20/2016 at 1:29pm

For all strokes, while people may not be patient enough, it is best to start with a bucket of balls, just drop the ball on the table, and get the stroke and timing right. Even before hitting with a robot or doing multiball.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2016 at 12:10am

My point was that you can still train while playing friendly matches with other people, simply by forcing a certain type of return that you can practise against during the match itself. You could lose while trying stuff out, like serving backspin all match long or pushing long on every serve including side-topspin serves, but it's still good practise, and may be even better than using a robot (which messes up your timing in actual matches!)
-------
Viscaria

mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/21/2016 at 5:53am
Sorry, the forum went down for awhile so I couldn't post my reply!

@tom Yeah, though Japan has a very dense population. So even if my city isn't so big, many people come from all around the prefecture, and even from neighbouring prefectures to play.

@NL Back when I didn't have a robot and no one was free to practice with, I did a lot of that. I wish I had more space at home. I would definitely buy a table for practice. Thanks though, I'll warm up with a bucket of balls until I get a feel for the stroke, then work with the robot :)

@blahness Yeah, sorry, I understood what you meant. Sorry if I made it sound like I didn't. I know there are a lot of ways to create opportunities to practice something. It just gets frustrating sometimes when many different balls come at you, especially when you don't even have the stroke down yet. But we have to work with what we're deal with, right? :) I've got to control that anger of mine, haha. My students are very lucky to be able to do set drills most the day.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic