Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Matches from Rural Japan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2020 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by mickd mickd wrote:

Originally posted by blahness blahness wrote:

I would have thought you would be able to beat your clubmate...he doesn't have such a tricky game compared to the resident MyTT pushblocker lol... His serves ain't that tight and he doesn't have a good reverse serve to jam the chiquita. You just gotta play safer shots, simplify the game and attack the deep FH. 

Yeah. You'd think so but videos of those type of players are so deceiving... I think that looper is just completely outclassing him. The reason why I can't beat him is because I have no ability to finish the point. So many end up being extremely long rallies and he never misses returning any of my balls. He's not as good as pushblocker for sure, but pushblocker is a very high level player.

Also, I'm bad against that style. I do well against inverted players who play with spin.

I think the pushblocker in that first video plays at about low 2000. I've seen him win against some very good players (but this is just my opinion so don't attack on it haha).

As a lefty I thought you had an extreme angle into his deep FH which he would find very hard to defend against haha... Time to work on that killshot!
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
Sponsored Links

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2020 at 8:07pm
I play LP'ers different than most, but it works for me.  I serve very deep with heavy backspin into the pips.  I know I'm going to get topspin back, so when it comes back I try to put it away with my most powerful shot hitting as much as the top of the ball as possible.  I want to end the rally with that shot.  As soon as your serve plan to kill the ball no matter where it goes.  Never mix any sidespin with your serve.  My theory is that the longer the rally with a LP'er the more the rally will favor him.
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/16/2020 at 10:59pm
I just need to practice more against LPs. I mostly serve long but my best attacks all come back. He plays angles very well against me. Long rallies definitely favour him. I'll keep working on the kill shot :) He is also always playing with other 2000-2200ish players. Whereas I usually play with the ~800-1500 players. Two or so years ago, I used to only take 3-4 points off him per set, so I think I'll get him eventually!
blahness View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2020 at 2:52am
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

I play LP'ers different than most, but it works for me.  I serve very deep with heavy backspin into the pips.  I know I'm going to get topspin back, so when it comes back I try to put it away with my most powerful shot hitting as much as the top of the ball as possible.  I want to end the rally with that shot.  As soon as your serve plan to kill the ball no matter where it goes.  Never mix any sidespin with your serve.  My theory is that the longer the rally with a LP'er the more the rally will favor him.

That is definitely a very unique strategy lol, you must have a very high percentage and powerful loopkill Clap
-------
Viscaria
FH: Hurricane 8-80
BH: D05

Back to normal shape bats :(
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2020 at 7:33am

I just need to practice more against LPs. I mostly serve long but my best attacks all come back. He plays angles very well against me. Long rallies definitely favour him. I'll keep working on the kill shot :) He is also always playing with other 2000-2200ish players. Whereas I usually play with the ~800-1500 players. Two or so years ago, I used to only take 3-4 points off him per set, so I think I'll get him eventually!

You need to look at your spin and placement, spin especially.  If your best shots are coming back, then you are hardly making him adjust. 
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2020 at 11:37pm
What it feels like when I play against him is that I need to either try and kill opportunity balls with less spin and more speed instead of putting them on the table safely, or put a lot more topspin on the ball hoping that he floats the next ball so I can smash it instead. My regular loops/drives have a good amount of spin on it, but not enough to trouble him. It's like the perfect amount for him to return haha. Variation would be great, but I'm not sure I'm at a level where I can freely vary the amount of spin per shot without missing too many.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/17/2020 at 11:49pm

No problem! There are a lot of penholders over here; usually the older generation. Though in that particular game, the oldest person was actually the only one using the shakehand grip.

Here is another video of old vs young. I don't remember their exact ages, but the young guy is about 24 and the old guy is about 63. The old guy uses long pimples on the red side.

Unfortunately, some of the match is missing due to data corruption on my hdd (I've replaced it now).

One one of the points the old guy actually did a cartwheel to return the ball, and won the point. He was out of my camera's range and because of the data corruption, I'm not sure if it was one of the points that got lost. But I think it might have been the one at 3:31. I just remember thinking the young girl laughed after he missed.

Enjoy!

I want to know what are usiing ( rubber blade) the best penhold short pips  players in japan
mickd View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2020 at 1:11am
I have no idea what the best ones are using, but I can ask around the next time I meet some short pips pen players (which is surprisingly high in my area) what they're using!

The video you quoted are both shakehand players with the old guy using long pips on the backhand.
mykonos96 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mykonos96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06/18/2020 at 10:42am

I have no idea what the best ones are using, but I can ask around the next time I meet some short pips pen players (which is surprisingly high in my area) what they're using!

The video you quoted are both shakehand players with the old guy using long pips on the backhand.

ok it would be useful if you can get that info,I know a player who visited a club only penhold short pips in japan

Edited by mykonos96 - 06/18/2020 at 10:43am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic