Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Xu Xin Slow Motion Forehand Topspin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Pete73 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xu Xin Slow Motion Forehand Topspin
    Posted: 09/24/2016 at 12:58am
Sponsored Links

Jeff(ATTC) View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff(ATTC) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 2:43pm
I think the ball appears to be behind him because of the camera angle and the position of XX's FH in the BH corner.  The ball is in his pocket because it is not behind the coronal plane of his body, and it is still between his left and right legs.  If it were behind him, the ball would be a little further past his left leg  This picture is deceptive at first glance.

Edited by Jeff(ATTC) - 09/24/2016 at 2:50pm
Bty Jun Mizutani ZLC
FH: D80
BH: D05
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 10:13pm
It's funny but that's the best forehand in the world. Maybe you should rethink your understanding of the forehand if you think what he is doing is wrong, even though Jeff's comments are spot on.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by NextLevel NextLevel wrote:

It's funny but that's the best forehand in the world. Maybe you should rethink your understanding of the forehand if you think what he is doing is wrong, even though Jeff's comments are spot on.
Even the best can be wrong, that's why the game keeps evolving. People don't loop like Barna anymore, right?
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2016 at 5:11am
i would suggest its because of him hitting a inside out cross-court shot meaning he has to take the ball later to give it that direction much like in tennis hit in-front gives more cross-court in line hits down the line more so inside out take it behind? i mean its probably not that but its a guess
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2016 at 7:29am
Originally posted by The soul of rock The soul of rock wrote:

Even the best can be wrong, that's why the game keeps evolving. People don't loop like Barna anymore, right?

If that is how you want to look at it, be my guest.

Edited by NextLevel - 09/25/2016 at 7:30am
Cybershape Carbon
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2016 at 8:51am

Or maybe the best is right and we're all doing it wrong? LOL

Who knows. I'm not sure how to explain it. Maybe that's how he gets his crazy hook on his FH by taking it there. I always assumed the hook came from him almost always hitting the outside top of the ball in his topspin stroke. Maybe where he hits it is a factor also? Who knows without asking him.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/25/2016 at 11:23am

Though Barna had the most dangerous backhand of his day strictly speaking he was not a looper, though according to Marty Reisman Barna could topspin with both conventional topspin, left to right topspin plus sidespin, and even a bit of on occasion right to left sidespin. 

Barna's was a rapid stroke from left to right taking the ball off the bounce and using his elbow as a hinge, finishing with his racket head pointing to his right.  The only player I've seen able to somewhat duplicate that stroke is Heavyspin, complete with the Barna pirouette when he missed, on a YouTube video. 

Who knows.  It still might work if you slap some Tenergy on a Barna Personal, if you can find one.

Edited by berndt_mann - 09/25/2016 at 11:27am
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
Bobpuls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bobpuls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2016 at 8:04am
Hitting later at this point gives more rotation to the ball but not much control ... but xu is the master.
Custom carbon/aramid off FH DHS H8 BH DHS TG 3-60
Custom carbon off++ FH DHS TG2 BS BH DHS TG3-60 National

Danzors View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danzors Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2016 at 1:55pm
He's definitely hitting it to the off-angle so his body is more open. I'd say it's just camera angle.
Tibhar KJH
Xiom Vega Pro
ZingyDNA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ZingyDNA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/26/2016 at 5:01pm
I'm pretty sure he hit the ball in front of the body, because he turned to face the ball. As a left hander, his left leg is way behind his right. Otherwise he'd be hitting the ball behind his back, right?

Originally posted by fatt fatt wrote:

I am nobody to criticize Xu Xin; I am just wondering about the contact with the ball way past his body.

tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2016 at 9:49am
out of curiosity, I took the ball later (in relationship with the body) than usual, but not necessary as late as XX in this presentation, and it generated more spin and power.  did anybody else find this as well? 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2016 at 9:51am
Originally posted by tom tom wrote:

out of curiosity, I took the ball later (in relationship with the body) than usual, but not necessary as late as XX in this presentation, and it generated more spin and power.  did anybody else find this as well? 

Without seeing your original stroke, you probably had bad timing on your original stroke.  The most important thing for power is to hit the ball while your body is rotating.  If you hit the ball when your rotation has ended, the power is always less.
Cybershape Carbon
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2016 at 10:31am

Without seeing your original stroke, you probably had bad timing on your original stroke.  The most important thing for power is to hit the ball while your body is rotating.  If you hit the ball when your rotation has ended, the power is always less.

could be - will experiment more
BRS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2016 at 11:02am

could be - will experiment more

In his tabletenniscoaching.com blog larry hodges has written often that he agrees with the results of your experiment.

Edited by BRS - 09/27/2016 at 11:07am
tom View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/27/2016 at 11:16am
"Google tabletenniscoaching.com easy power and you will find that larry hodges agrees with the results of your experiment."  Interesting - we have seen the WLQ video many times, but in relationship to this thread, in regular motion, the ball seems to be contacted earlier while the slo mo show contact is actually a bit later.  I think what I did yesterday is even a bit later -  will check today.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic