FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Tenergy Rubber for Backhand?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 12:34pm
One other thing I should add in response to JimT's last comment is that while MX-P is made in Europe by ESN, it is not a Tensor strictly speaking.  This rubber and it's cousins like Bluefire represent a complete break from earlier ESN strategies towards producing a rubber that can compete with Tenergy. Everything about it is different.

Among other things, it has a thick pored sponge that looks much more like the Tenergy sponge (and plays a lot more like it also) and it notably smells very strongly of booster (more than any of the previous generation rubbers from ESN).  They don't use the trademark "Tensor Bios" on the packaging and the Tibhar versions of this class of rubber refer to "Power Sponge" technology instead, which reflects this change (although that is not an ESN trademark). Anyway, if you have had experience with earlier generation ESN rubbers, know that this is something different.  You may or may not like it, but it is different (and yes, heavy).
Sponsored Links

onehander View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote onehander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 4:40pm
Does anyone know for certain where MX-P is made?  Neither the packaging nor the rubber top sheet indicate the place of manufacture or design.  And the dedicated Tibhar Evolution site says nothing.  That's very odd considering everything else clearly shows Made in Germany, Made in Japan, or Made in China.  Most manufacturers proudly display in their rubber descriptions who was involved in the design (example:  Stiga Genesis - Japan/Sweden/China, or Cornilleau Target Pro GT-M43 - France-Michelin/Germany-ESN).  It seems hidden on purpose.  
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 5:25pm
I had never noticed that before, but it is true. 
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by onehander onehander wrote:

Does anyone know for certain where MX-P is made?  Neither the packaging nor the rubber top sheet indicate the place of manufacture or design.  And the dedicated Tibhar Evolution site says nothing.  That's very odd considering everything else clearly shows Made in Germany, Made in Japan, or Made in China.  Most manufacturers proudly display in their rubber descriptions who was involved in the design (example:  Stiga Genesis - Japan/Sweden/China, or Cornilleau Target Pro GT-M43 - France-Michelin/Germany-ESN).  It seems hidden on purpose.  

Depends on what you mean by for certain.  If you mean with high and reasonable certainty, yes, it is an ESN rubber in Germany.  Yes, it is deliberately hidden, but the first people who get Evolution rubbers and the people who test them are Germans.  They talk about it all the time on their forums.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
JimT View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 5:42pm
Well, I would gladly try MX-P but basically everyone says that it is very heavy. That's a dealbreaker for me...
Single Ply Hinoki Club, Founding Member

Say "no!" to expensive table tennis equipment. Please...
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 9:15pm
Definitely heavy. I haven't weighed it but it feels to me like it might weigh more than Tenergy.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by onehander onehander wrote:

Germany.

Very shady marketing with all those katakana and the J.T.T.A.A, to say the least.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
interact215 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interact215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 11:41pm
I did 12 months of intense EJing. I tried every Tenergy on my BH, plus nearly 10 of the most popular other brands. 

The one I've chosen and have been using for nearly 6 months is Tenergy 25-FX (1.9). It's a monster for blocking, both close and off the table. But the main reason I use it on BH is when you use good brushing technique, it has the tightest arc of any Tenergy (i.e. the ball gets up and down most efficiently). For me it makes ripping opening loops off of long pushes loaded with backspin not very difficult at all. Both the superior blocking and tight arc when brushing well are clearly explained in Butterfly's own video about Tenergy technology. T25 is designed for blocking and play close to the table, unlike the other 3 Tenergies. I chose the FX over standard just because it's more forgiving in all aspects of play, which I need at my intermediate rating.

Btw, I use a very fast, hard blade, the new Xiom Vega Tour. T05-FX on FH.

Results may vary :)
So many rubbers, so little time.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2016 at 12:32am
I do not consider the Vega Tour a fast hard blade per se but I agree with the review of T25FX.
Cybershape Carbon
Mickael View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickael Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2016 at 5:40am
By brand:
Butterfly Tenergy 25 fx
Tibhar Evolution MX-P
They have the softness to block and counter yet the grip to loop and flick.
Nittaku Acoustic Carbon FL
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 FH
Butterfly Dignics 05 2.1 BH
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2016 at 5:53pm
T25FX is definitely one a lot of people might like on BH.  You need that softer sponge to deal with the very hard topsheet, and together it balances out pretty well.
Ladon1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladon1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2016 at 6:12pm
Do you try 1.7mm ?
interact215 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote interact215 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/22/2016 at 11:40pm
I didn't even know Tenergy came in 1.7mm until your post.  Do you have experience with either T25-FX or T05-FX in 1.7mm? 

My first thought as a reason to go that thin (1.7) is to have more control, but I feel like I have plenty of control already. I feel like I need more pop in some situations, hence I thought going from 1.9 to 2.1 might be good, for both FH and BH.
So many rubbers, so little time.
Makelele View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Makelele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2016 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by interact215 interact215 wrote:

I did 12 months of intense EJing. I tried every Tenergy on my BH, plus nearly 10 of the most popular other brands. 

The one I've chosen and have been using for nearly 6 months is Tenergy 25-FX (1.9). It's a monster for blocking, both close and off the table. But the main reason I use it on BH is when you use good brushing technique, it has the tightest arc of any Tenergy (i.e. the ball gets up and down most efficiently). For me it makes ripping opening loops off of long pushes loaded with backspin not very difficult at all. Both the superior blocking and tight arc when brushing well are clearly explained in Butterfly's own video about Tenergy technology. T25 is designed for blocking and play close to the table, unlike the other 3 Tenergies. I chose the FX over standard just because it's more forgiving in all aspects of play, which I need at my intermediate rating.

What would you describe as "most efficiently"? Are you saying that it was Tenergy´s easiest rubber for lifting an underspin stroke, for example? Or are you saying that the type of arc 25FX  produces is more dangerous to your rivals, comparing to others Tenergies?
If you are talking about the latter, I would think that, in theory, a Tenergy that produces a higher arc (like O5) should be more dangerous than a Tenergy that produces a lower arc (like 25FX), because  (all things being equal) a higher arc ball that bounces near the end line may surprise your opponent, who would think that the ball has no time to go down into the table from its high trajectory. Does it make sense?

And taking advantage of your EJing, may I ask you how you handled the strong bounciness of Tenergies? You liked it or you made a "compromise" with it, something that you have to live with, because "it comes with the territory"? (In fact, my experience is with 05, but I guess that the strong bounciness extends to all types of Tenergies). That bounciness can be a blessing or a curse...

NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2016 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

What would you describe as "most efficiently"? Are you saying that it was Tenergy´s easiest rubber for lifting an underspin stroke, for example? Or are you saying that the type of arc 25FX  produces is more dangerous to your rivals, comparing to others Tenergies?
If you are talking about the latter, I would think that, in theory, a Tenergy that produces a higher arc (like O5) should be more dangerous than a Tenergy that produces a lower arc (like 25FX), because  (all things being equal) a higher arc ball that bounces near the end line may surprise your opponent, who would think that the ball has no time to go down into the table from its high trajectory. Does it make sense?

And taking advantage of your EJing, may I ask you how you handled the strong bounciness of Tenergies? You liked it or you made a "compromise" with it, something that you have to live with, because "it comes with the territory"? (In fact, my experience is with 05, but I guess that the strong bounciness extends to all types of Tenergies). That bounciness can be a blessing or a curse...

What makes you think T25FX produces a lower arc?

And I thought you played fine with Tenergies while you were here, my friend.
Cybershape Carbon
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/28/2016 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Makelele Makelele wrote:

The harder topsheet of 25 series makes brush looping easier at higher speeds, while the fx sponge ensuring sufficient dwell time, making it the most "efficient" at looping backspin. The arc as you mentioned is probably the least "dangerous" because it is the most linear, but you have to consider if someone is always playing against 05, they will find a 25-fx user much more "dangerous", in that they haven't adapted to the different arc, so it varies.

T05 isn't an extremely bouncy rubber, I've used it on many blades ranging from fast composites to slow blades such as Korbel/Aria Lite. Some may even argue that the bounciness helps with passive blocking and counters. Whilst it is bouncier than other rubbers, short game is absolutely fine (for me), control is subjective and comes mostly from the hand Tongue ultimately you should choose the rubber with the best speed/spin potential that you feel you can control - if you think that T05 has a compromise with excessive bounciness, stick to classic rubbers and avoid ESN/Tenergies altogether.

Edited by SmackDAT - 10/28/2016 at 3:30pm
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic