Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

degluing rubber makes it lighter?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bschap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bschap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: degluing rubber makes it lighter?
    Posted: 09/24/2016 at 2:52pm
We've all had the experience of removing glue from a rubber and noticing all the little bits of sponge coming off as well.  BUT, I'm wondering if even on those occasions when it looks like no sponge is coming off, are you still losing sponge?  Recently I removed glue from a sheet of Ten 05 and it seemed the operation went perfectly.  But things seem really stiff and hard on the new blade, so I am wondering if indeed I changed the rubber even tho it seemed like a perfect operation.    Any input?
Sponsored Links

DreiZ View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DreiZ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/24/2016 at 5:27pm
If you don't notice any small holes from sponge ripping it's fine. Ive removed lots of glue from MXP sponge before with small rips resulting in small craters but it didn't affect any aspect during play, and MXP sponge is even more porous than T05.

Theoretically when you add glue to porous sponge, the glue fills the top layer of the sponge pores and when it's removed some glue may still be in the sponge so the feel might be different from a brand new sponge. But IMO this is so negligible it shouldn't worry any player on this forum.

However, according to some players regluing an old rubber (without booster) does result in a slightly different feel compared to the same rubber that hasn't been reglued. But i don't wonder into this topic much as it's not important to me.

in short: removing glue from sponge does make it lighter compared to a glued rubber. Is it significant? Well depends on how much glue was removed, 2-3 layers of glue can add up to 5-10g. In terms of the sponge being removed and making it lighter, not really.

Edited by DreiZ - 09/24/2016 at 7:46pm
Ovtcharov Innerforce ALC 85g
FH/BH: Glayzer 09C 2.1mm
USATT: 1725
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic