Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Vintage BTY French Style

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
redlands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redlands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Vintage BTY French Style
    Posted: 09/28/2016 at 4:14am
I have just extended my small collection with a nice French Style blade. The rubbers and sponges are like stone, but other than that, its condition is perfect. Anyone have a guess about its worth among collectors?
Regards,
L.

redlands
Sponsored Links

The Canadian Bacon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 11:04am
Mine too be kept in play, but i think this is the first one i've seen with those markings on the side, i've only seen either blank or J.T.T.A. I only know of these variations: no markings on handles with or without black tag or sticker, J.T.T.A, J.T.T.A side and end with either red metal tag ...

Depending on condition or collector....average "asking" ~$200usd....without any markings in good condition

redlands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redlands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 11:21am
Thanks! I was also surprised to see the long marking on the side... it is hard to read but can be JTTAA... the two A's do not make too much sense in this case... It is also interesting, that this blade is a 3ply wood... and not 5, like those I have found online either here or in other collections.
redlands
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 11:42am
J.T.T.A.A is correct ... Japan Table Tennis Association Approved...with or without a red tag...sold in Japan ...use to mean that so many changes over the years.

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 09/28/2016 at 11:43am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 12:36pm
Did you find that blade in a Danish peat bog buried with a Viking warrior long ago, along with his axe and his drinking horn?  It kind of looks like it.
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/28/2016 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Did you find that blade in a Danish peat bog buried with a Viking warrior long ago, along with his axe and his drinking horn?  It kind of looks like it.

Yep.  That's definitely a BTY French Style blade from the early '60s (possibly the 1960s or the 960s of Viking Times) in not the greatest of condition with perhaps A.102 (medium pips) sandwich sponge plastered on it, in not the best of shape.  

A thousand years after the Vikings, BTY sold three different types of short pips with sponge--A.003, with little tiny pips, A.102 (medium pips), and A,103 (larger pips).  The Vikings, fierce attacking seaborne warriors who were no mean hands with either an axe or a drinking horn, were nevertheless pretty good all round players with these paleolithic medium sized BTY short pips.  They introduced competitive table tennis to Norway, Sweden, Great Britain, Ireland, Iceland, and Greenland.  It took Sweden about a millenium to become a temporary table tennis power, but by that time the Vikings' descendants (Donic, Stiga, Banda), distant descendants of these proud warriors and TT players, were churning out equipment for Scandinavia's  proud unapologetic late 20th century soldiers of pong.

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
frogger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frogger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2016 at 8:11pm

That is a basswood series blade. Medium speed and a bit on the heavy side. They also had "The English Style", The American Style, and an odd one that had many holes in the handle and a slant cut at the bottom of the handle, perhaps "Sweden Style". All the same ply construction except for the different handles. Collector blades.
Wood Paddle
Red side
Black side.

PingPongTom View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PingPongTom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2016 at 9:14pm
The signature on one side of the blade is of Mai Van Hoa (Vietnamese legendary chopper) whom won the single gold medal Asian Championship TTFA (1953) and Asian Game team event in 1958. He won both events by defeating Japanese player in Japan.
BTY Amultart

FH Tenergy 05 Black Max

BH Tenergy 64 1.9mm
TKMP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TKMP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2016 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by PingPongTom PingPongTom wrote:

The signature on one side of the blade is of Mai Van Hoa (Vietnamese legendary chopper) whom won the single gold medal Asian Championship TTFA (1953) and Asian Game team event in 1958. He won both events by defeating Japanese player in Japan.

Thank you for your information. ClapClapClap
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2016 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by frogger frogger wrote:

That is a basswood series blade. Medium speed and a bit on the heavy side. They also had "The English Style", The American Style, and an odd one that had many holes in the handle and a slant cut at the bottom of the handle, perhaps "Sweden Style". All the same ply construction except for the different handles. Collector blades.

The American style was also known as the New York Style, and I think there was also a BTY blade called the Swiss Style, somewhat more compact and oval shaped.  There was also the very popular Kenny Style (I wonder who the hell Kenny was).

I don't know whether or not BTY manufactured a "Swedish Style" blade such as you describe, but I do know that Stiga did.  It was named for Alex Ehrlich, three-time World Singles finalist.  I had one with Yasaka Cobra inverted rubber.

All of these blades date from the early to mid-1960s.  In good to mint condition, they should be rather valuable.

Edited by berndt_mann - 09/29/2016 at 9:48pm
bmann1942
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Canadian Bacon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/29/2016 at 10:47pm
TKMP has a Swedish with metal tag, among the many he has collected Tongue

Who has Dan Seemiller blades? (other than Dan Seemiller)  they too should be quite rare...no? especially a signed one?

Looks are similar but not sure of the construction.

Edited by The Canadian Bacon - 09/29/2016 at 10:48pm
E.ZegnaFan View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.ZegnaFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 12:50am
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

The American style was also known as the New York Style, and I think there was also a BTY blade called the Swiss Style, somewhat more compact and oval shaped.  There was also the very popular Kenny Style (I wonder who the hell Kenny was).

I don't know whether or not BTY manufactured a "Swedish Style" blade such as you describe, but I do know that Stiga did.  It was named for Alex Ehrlich, three-time World Singles finalist.  I had one with Yasaka Cobra inverted rubber.

All of these blades date from the early to mid-1960s.  In good to mint condition, they should be rather valuable.

@frogger: There's no Butterfly "Sweden Style" only Butterfly Swedish Style and later Butterfly changed the name to Butterfly Alex Ehrlich but it's very rare to find Smile

@berndt_mann: The American Style and New York Style are different 2 models from Butterfly, not sure there was a Swiss Style but I know there were a Swedish Style ( later became an Butterfly Alex Ehrlich), English Style, American Style, New York Style, French Style, German Style, European Style, Czech Style, Kenny Style. All were made with basswood in early 70's with almost 5 equally veneers, late 70's and later with 5-ply thick core veneer. 
Stiga made Ehrlich blade from early 50's to early 70's with some variations: early 50's with Ehrlich Expander waffle sponge and Ehrlich Special sponge bat, 1954-1957 a Stiga Ehrlich with 3 rows of hole in the handle, first with Limba-Limba-Ayous-Limba-Limba composition, 1958-1963 handle only has 2 rows of hole but still has a large head size, 1964-1967 deeper handle mount and head size reduced, 1968-1970 Ehrlich"E". I have 4 of those, your with Yasaka Cobra *** rubber so it must be a later Ehrlich with big letter "E" on the handle Smile

Here's mine:

- Early 70's Butterfly French Style ( blade has 5 almost equally veneers) with Original Green D-13 Soft Rubbers

- Late 70's to 80's Butterfly French Style with thick core veneer.

- 3x Stiga Ehrlich (1958-1963) and a late 60's to early 70's Stiga Ehrlich "E".

< id="hc_extension_off">< id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< id="hc_extension_grayscale">< id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< id="hc_extension_invert">< id="hc_extension_invert_back">< id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">
< id="hc_extension_off">< id="hc_extension_highcontrast">< id="hc_extension_highcontrast_back">< id="hc_extension_grayscale">< id="hc_extension_grayscale_back">< id="hc_extension_invert">< id="hc_extension_invert_back">< id="hc_extension_invert_grayscale">< id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black">< id="hc_extension_yellow_on_black_back">

Edited by E.ZegnaFan - 09/30/2016 at 1:56am

87 Stiga Clipper/Rakza 9.
78 Stiga Super Carbon/Calibra Tour M.

LF: Old Stiga Clipper,Super Carbon in NEARLY NEW condition.
E.ZegnaFan View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E.ZegnaFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 1:10am
Originally posted by The Canadian Bacon The Canadian Bacon wrote:

TKMP has a Swedish with metal tag, among the many he has collected Tongue

Who has Dan Seemiller blades? (other than Dan Seemiller)  they too should be quite rare...no? especially a signed one?

Looks are similar but not sure of the construction.

Same construction with basswood, I have those except a Butterfly Seemiller Competition models !

Here you're:

- Butterfly Seemiller Professional:

- Butterfly Seemiller Pro, Hi-Control and Autograph:

87 Stiga Clipper/Rakza 9.
78 Stiga Super Carbon/Calibra Tour M.

LF: Old Stiga Clipper,Super Carbon in NEARLY NEW condition.
redlands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redlands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 5:03am
Although I love archeology, this blade is simply coming from ebay.com. :-)
Thanks for all the info about my French Style. It is a great addition to my collection of other "Style" series BTY blades.
Someone asked about Seemiller rackets. I have one with blue/gold sticker similar to the Applegreen blade from Butterfly. I wil post pictures of it later.
redlands
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 5:06am

[...] and an odd one that had many holes in the handle and a slant cut at the bottom of the handle, perhaps "Sweden Style". All the same ply construction except for the different handles. Collector blades.

Ha, till the above pictures confirmed it I thought you were jokingly describing a stereotypical Swiss cheese and had made the mistake, excusable for an American, of getting Sweden and Switzerland mixed up. 

Image result for swiss cheese
redlands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redlands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 5:47am
@berndt_mann:
The blade has Soft-D13 on both sides
As far as the condition of the wood: well, if it is over 50 years old, then I would say it is in a nice shape.... The soft is an other story...
redlands
redlands View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redlands Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 5:54am
And here is the Seemiller FL, with the blue/gold lense and the red BTY sticker.

redlands
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 6:01pm
Hi E.ZegnaFan,

You are quite the table tennis archeologist.   Now that I think of it, I believe I mistook the "Swiss Style", which Butterfly never made, for the Czech Style, which thanks to your jogging my memory I do recall.

That French Style BTY racket with the original D-13 is a beauty, as is your French Style blade.  Have you tried not only being a table tennis archeologist but also a table tennis historically informed performer by playing with that D-13 covered French Style incorporating the 1960s high-throw straight up from mid-calf to well over the head barely grazed loop against underspin?  That shot, fh or bh, brought about the demise of hard rubber choppers and attackers alike, as we couldn't block it, chop it, counterdrive it, countertopspin it, or, since it dropped like a stone, even lob it.

Your Stiga Ehrlichs are just as impressive.  As I've said, I played with the Ehrlich  with the "E" on the handle and also briefly with the hard rubber Ehrlich.  Nicely made blade, but a little too boardlike for me as a defensive player.   My Ehrlich, purchased at Newman-Stern Sporting Goods in Cleveland, Ohio, also had green rubber on it. 

It's kind of a shame that the two-color rule had to come about.  I remember rubbers from bright red to green to dark blue to turquoise blue to black to brown to copperish gold. 

Misty water color memories.....
bmann1942
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by redlands redlands wrote:

@berndt_mann:
The blade has Soft-D13 on both sides
As far as the condition of the wood: well, if it is over 50 years old, then I would say it is in a nice shape.... The soft is an other story...

Actually, redlands, for a 50+ year old blade, it doesn't look all that bad.  Unfortunately, 50+ year old D-13 is unlikely to withstand the test of time.
bmann1942
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 6:11pm
Living in Sweden in arou d 1969 I never saw anyone actually play with a Stiga Erlich. I do recall seing one laying in a corner at the place I played. Alser and Johansson and a little later, Bengtsson blades were mostly what people used.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic