Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do chinese rubbers react less to incoming spin

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do chinese rubbers react less to incoming spin
    Posted: 09/30/2016 at 7:57pm
Hi

do chinese rubbers such as hurricane 3 neo react less to incoming spin on serves etc than a modern tensor like tenergy or evolution.

or is just that the grip they have overpowers the incoming spin if you play a positive stroke?
Sponsored Links

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 8:14pm
sponge thickness, softness, and topsheet tackiness all negatively correlate with control vs incoming spin. Personally I thought tenergy returned pretty well and pushed great for a tuned Japanese rubber.

I would say that the tophseet tackiness is a bigger factor in the short game as in serve return, pushes.  The sponge is more of a factor in terms of sensitivity when blocking. 

Of course as you say all can be countered with proper technique, I would assume.

To finally answer your question in the general sense, I don't agree with your first premise that h3n reacts less.
Wavestone St with Illumina 1.9r, defender1.7b

Please let me know if I can be of assistance.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 8:20pm
so do you think serve return should be easier against fast spinny long serves with 05fx(2.1) than h3n(2.15)?

my son is 14 been playing 2 years
I am 46 been playing 21 years solid and previously when I was younger

he returns better with h3n than I do with 05fx
we both use tspw
cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 8:30pm
fast long spinny serves can be a little different.  I would say a broken in h3n would handle them better.  A new sheet might not.

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 8:31pm
but lets get someone else's opinion

Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 8:44pm
I have played with both the Tenergy 05 (for a couple of years; the 05fx only briefly tested) and now Hurricane 3 Neo (the Nittaku version) since almost 2 years and to me the Tenergy is more sensitive to incoming spin in every aspect (serve return, pushing or looping underspin, blocking topspin). I do not have a (scientific) explanation why that is but maybe it has to do with the bounciness of the tenergy as the more tacky topsheet of the H3N allows for a longer ball contact and hence more control.
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
GeneralSpecific View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 8:46pm
It's not so much Chinese rubbers that react less to spin it's slow and dead sponges. It just so happens to be the case that most Chinese rubbers have slow and dead sponges. If you use something like Tackiness chop, which is not a Chinese rubber, it is going to be less sensitive to spin than most inverted rubbers.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Forehand - Xiom Omega V Asia 2.0mm
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 8:52pm
You're better to loop any long serves, but if you can't read the spin or don't have time to react then I'll have to say Chinese rubbers can do a much better job of getting the ball back on the table. However, if you perfectly aware of the incoming spin and still want to push the ball back, either Jap or Chinese rubber will be fine.
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
Roger Stillabower View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Stillabower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 8:53pm
Before I started using H3 on both sides(Ten.05 on b/h) I use to twiddle to the H3 for serves I was having trouble with. I could handle difficult serves better with the H3 than I could with the Ten.05.
Receiving serves with b/h.

Edited by Roger Stillabower - 09/30/2016 at 9:01pm
Shifter
manraid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manraid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

I have played with both the Tenergy 05 (for a couple of years; the 05fx only briefly tested) and now Hurricane 3 Neo (the Nittaku version) since almost 2 years and to me the Tenergy is more sensitive to incoming spin in every aspect (serve return, pushing or looping underspin, blocking topspin). I do not have a (scientific) explanation why that is but maybe it has to do with the bounciness of the tenergy as the more tacky topsheet of the H3N allows for a longer ball contact and hence more control.

+1

totally agree
MJ SZLC ST

FH Hurricane 8 2.15m Black
BH Super 999t 2.2mm Red

cole_ely View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cole_ely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 9:24pm
I'd take their advice since they use these rubbers regularly.  I suppose the neo h3 isnt' all that tacky anyway.  I was thinking both rubbers new, too.

LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/30/2016 at 11:16pm

I use H8 and have used Ten 05.

The short game is definitely easier with H8.

Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/01/2016 at 7:49am
thanks for the info.
I have never liked hurricane on bh. I prefer the zip and ping of non tacky rubbers when hitting bh, however there is little point if I am not returning serve as I don't get to the backhand shot.

I am currently experimenting with super defence on bh in 1.6mm, but it does lack a little bit of bight at times.
think I might try hurricane again for a longer period of time
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2016 at 3:26pm
i tried h3n on bh last night in match with only a couple of hours of practice previous
it was excellent, definately better on serve return

very good for tight serves then trying to get in on 3rd ball with big top spin on bh

think it could be a good decision

only slight negative is i feel it is a bit harder to hit with
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2016 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by GeneralSpecific GeneralSpecific wrote:

It's not so much Chinese rubbers that react less to spin it's slow and dead sponges. It just so happens to be the case that most Chinese rubbers have slow and dead sponges. If you use something like Tackiness chop, which is not a Chinese rubber, it is going to be less sensitive to spin than most inverted rubbers.

Is the same argument for short pips?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2016 at 11:23pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

What? No way. Short pips are a very different kind of topsheet. While the type of sponge definitely has an impact, the topsheets of short pips are much less reactive to spin than inverted rubber. Of course, as a result, it generates less spin as well.

But to further clarify let's take a look at some examples. First, let's bring up Butterfly Tackiness chop (a slow inverted rubber) again and compare it to SpinLord Waran (a glue effect short pip). These rubbers will react to spin in different ways. The topsheet of tackiness chop (or any normal inverted rubber) is more sensitive to spin than waran (or any short pip). However, the sponge of tackiness chop is less sensitive to incoming speed and energy than the sponge of Waran. So in this case, the type of incoming shot dictates which rubber will be more sensitive. For something like serve reception, tackiness chop is more sensitive than Waran but for something like blocking a fast drive, Waran is more sensitive than tackiness chop. Also, the outcome of the serve reception or the block will be different between the rubbers but that is a conversation for a completely different topic.

If an inverted rubber and a short pip rubber used an identical sponge though, the short pip rubber would be less sensitive in every regard. Normal inverted rubber, independent of the sponge, is always more sensitive than a short pip topsheet.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Backhand - Victas Curl P5V with Der Materialspezialist Firestorm Soft/Outkill 1.8mm sponge
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/05/2016 at 11:33pm

What? No way. Short pips are a very different kind of topsheet. While the type of sponge definitely has an impact, the topsheets of short pips are much less reactive to spin than inverted rubber. Of course, as a result, it generates less spin as well.

But to further clarify let's take a look at some examples. First, let's bring up Butterfly Tackiness chop (a slow inverted rubber) again and compare it to SpinLord Waran (a glue effect short pip). These rubbers will react to spin in different ways. The topsheet of tackiness chop (or any normal inverted rubber) is more sensitive to spin than waran (or any short pip). However, the sponge of tackiness chop is less sensitive to incoming speed and energy than the sponge of Waran. So in this case, the type of incoming shot dictates which rubber will be more sensitive. For something like serve reception, tackiness chop is more sensitive than Waran but for something like blocking a fast drive, Waran is more sensitive than tackiness chop. Also, the outcome of the serve reception or the block will be different between the rubbers but that is a conversation for a completely different topic.

If an inverted rubber and a short pip rubber used an identical sponge though, the short pip rubber would be less sensitive in every regard. Normal inverted rubber, independent of the sponge, is always more sensitive than a short pip topsheet.

I wanted to point that cooked topsheet short pips are less reactive to spin than jap/euro pips like andro hexer pip.what non chinese pip do you find better for receive?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2016 at 12:04am
TSP Spectol is my favorite short pip topsheet for receiving serve. TSP is a Japanese company
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Ladon1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladon1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2016 at 12:14am
TSP , Xiom and Victas are under one roof
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2016 at 1:01am
Originally posted by Ladon1997 Ladon1997 wrote:

TSP , Xiom and Victas are under one roof

Your point being?
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
shaun729 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shaun729 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2016 at 1:29am
TSP and Victas are Japanese. Xiom is Korean so they are not under one roof.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2016 at 2:26am
Originally posted by shaun729 shaun729 wrote:

TSP and Victas are Japanese. Xiom is Korean so they are not under one roof.

To my understanding TSP and Victas are under the same roof (Yamato Takkyu) but Xiom is more of "friend" of Yamato Takkyu rather than belonging to it. I think I've seen Xiom mentioned for something on the Yamato Takkyu website.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2016 at 2:34am
TSP is the distributor for Xiom in Japan.

Just like Yasaka for Stiga, Nittaku for DHS...

Edited by zeio - 10/06/2016 at 2:35am
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2016 at 10:13am

TSP Spectol is my favorite short pip topsheet for receiving serve. TSP is a Japanese company

I find regular spectol is not trouble for the opponent. Have you tried the speed version?
Airoc S View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Airoc S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2016 at 10:42am
I think Stiga is not distributed by Yasaka in Japan anymore.
Blade:Stiga Eternity VPS V (Legend)
F/H:Stiga Airoc S
B/H:Stiga Airoc Astro S
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GeneralSpecific Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2016 at 1:25pm

I find regular spectol is not trouble for the opponent. Have you tried the speed version?

All 5 Spectols use the exact same topsheet. It's only the sponge that is different.
Blade - Xiom 36.5 ALX FL
Ladon1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladon1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2016 at 1:26pm
Stiga and Yasaka just like DHS and Nittaku , Rolex and Tudor
Ladon1997 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladon1997 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/06/2016 at 1:29pm
Xiom Vega SPO is new pips out Rubber for 40+
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 3:51am
I can say that my H8 is way less sensitive receiving spiny serves than my Tenergies. Where I struggle is receiving non spiny balls and serves with the H8, especially with the new ball

Edited by Kolev - 10/07/2016 at 3:52am
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/07/2016 at 6:04am
how does the h8 compare to h3n?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic