Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Question about Short Pips & sponge thickness

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question about Short Pips & sponge thickness
    Posted: 10/26/2016 at 10:13am
Sorry if this has been repeated but last night on a whim i glued a sheet of 802 which what looks to be on a 1.0 sponge on my clipper penhold blade. I got the rubber from a buddy quite a while ago. Wonder if it's a custom glue job because it's hard to find 80-2 in this thin of a sponge. Previously I had been using 802-40 on a 2.0 air super soft sponge I got from Cole. I like it. 

I was surprised when hitting on the robot that the speed of the balls appeared to be about the same between the two.

So that leads me to my question. Since you're more flat hitting & driving, is the speed of the ball based more on your swing and speed of the blade?

Does more sponge simply up your ability to spin the ball? If that's all it does then I really don't need that for me. 

I have tested out for a long time trying to hit more with my LP with sponge when I twiddle so I'm accustomed to attacking with low grip. I didn't mind the 802 in 1.0 at all. It felt a little more crisp and the speed was there. I can only assume the balls would be more disturbing for my opponents. I should say I did have the robot firing out the balls at a decent pace so part of my speed could have been simply feeding off the robot. Perhaps the robot shooting off at slow speeds would make it harder for me as I'd have to be the one generating the force.

What do you guys think about sponge in how it relates to speed for short pips? Does it matter all that much?

Thanks.

Edited by suds79 - 10/26/2016 at 10:15am
Sponsored Links

asifgunz View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote asifgunz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2016 at 11:11am
some sponges are made to take off speed.
Some are supposed to add spinning ability.

sponge in the case of LP (ik youre using SP, but for reference) takes reversal away but adds hitting ability.

"I do not have any idols. I am my own idol." - Zhang Jike

Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=71761&PN=1#905629
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2016 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by asifgunz asifgunz wrote:

sponge in the case of LP (ik youre using SP, but for reference) takes reversal away but adds hitting ability.

Cam you be more specific about every kind of sponge?. I had once a 802 with orange sponge 2.0mm amazing sink i need othet one it was purchased in eacheng never got one similar i need to know what sponge it is

Edited by bbkon - 10/26/2016 at 1:02pm
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2016 at 1:22pm
Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

Cam you be more specific about every kind of sponge?. I had once a 802 with orange sponge 2.0mm amazing sink i need othet one it was purchased in eacheng never got one similar i need to know what sponge it is

The 802 i have in 1.0 is orange. I will have to test as i have a club mate coming over to hit tonight and I assume it has good sink because it's almost hardbat. :)

But I'm guessing something that is less spiny (ie - hard sponge) would make for a sinking ball. I believe a softer sponge short pip might be easier to control but it will spin better. That's my preconceived notions about sponge & pips but IDK.

What i'm trying to find out now is a 1.0 sponged SP going to be any faster or slower than say a 2.0 sponged SP?
Tadeiro View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tadeiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2016 at 1:29pm
http://www.pipfacts.info/content/view/64/85/
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10/26/2016 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by suds79 suds79 wrote:

Originally posted by bbkon bbkon wrote:

The 802 i have in 1.0 is orange. I will have to test as i have a club mate coming over to hit tonight and I assume it has good sink because it's almost hardbat. :)

But I'm guessing something that is less spiny (ie - hard sponge) would make for a sinking ball. I believe a softer sponge short pip might be easier to control but it will spin better. That's my preconceived notions about sponge & pips but IDK.

What i'm trying to find out now is a 1.0 sponged SP going to be any faster or slower than say a 2.0 sponged SP?

Mine wad 2.0mm but same hardness as other 802 sheets with minimal sink
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic