Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Anybody here have a good penhold forehand flip?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anybody here have a good penhold forehand flip?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anybody here have a good penhold forehand flip?
    Posted: 11/08/2016 at 2:48pm
Anything you look for or do personally to execute it?

FYI I'm left handed. I don't think that should change the nature of this topic but just a heads up.

This is one shot that has eluded me in my game. 

I feel I understand the concept of this shot but honestly it just doesn't feel very natural for me. 

When I compare my backhand over the table loop on service return vs the same for the forehand. The backhand is very spiny & fast. The forehand when i see it done by professionals looks like it's mostly all forearm speed.

Is it suppose to be a spiny shot? Is it suppose to be a slap like shot? If so, is that hard to keep consistent hitting it fast?

Oddly enough, I find the Xu Xin over the table forehand wristy loop easier to play in those ideal forehand standard flip situations. 

Vs backspin or side spin, this can be nice. However vs a serve with some topspin that type of stroke is weird IMO to close off and if I don't fly it off the table, it's simply not very fast as it's mostly just a wristy shot. I can't help but think it's not generally recommended to do this shot vs the traditional forehand flip but I don't know. Maybe not.

Any pointers from the community? 

Should I just play more modern and step around these balls to backhand over the table loop? As a lefty receiving serve I feel it opens me up for a down the line serve to my backhand awkwardly if I cheat over too much. 

Example: 
While it worked for him here, i can't but feel this shot put Xu Xin out of position if Ma Long were to get this shot back. 

Thanks.
Sponsored Links

The soul of rock View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The soul of rock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2016 at 4:32pm
I play shakehand most of the time, but when I do play penhold, I flick with the FH a lot. It's much easier to do Fh flick with penhold grip, as you have more space for wrist movement. If you watch XX or Ma Lin Flick, you will see that in the very last moment before they hit the ball, they accelerate their wrist really fast. Basically for a good fh flick, you need to step in to get close to the ball, and try to generate top/side spin using your wrist, i.e.flick the bat upward or sideway depends on the spin you wanna get.
Viscaria FL
FH: Nittaku Hurricane 3 NEO
BH: Tenergy 05
-------
My feedback
passifid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote passifid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2016 at 4:42pm
i play penhold often, as in 60%sh 40%Ph in time played. Now this shot i find very easy if you do a spinny flick which often catched people out. the hard aggressive one like the first flick is much harder the second one puts people off, however i must say people do get used to it if its used many times in a row like any shot.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic