FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

first time playing pips

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: first time playing pips
    Posted: 08/24/2006 at 10:16pm

Played tonight for the first time with pips 802-40,they have some spin but can't really open up on BH with it and a guy just kept pushing backspin to my pips side and when he was good and ready he would loop with alot of spin it was almost impossible to block,I know the obvious answer is to step around before he loops.

I could not seem to generate much spin when pushing and if I tried they normally sailed off the end of the table.

I know very little about SP and any help would be much appreciated cheers

Blade Xiom Control 3/ALL+
BH Andro impuls speed
FH H3 Provincial
Tibhar CTE
Sponsored Links

TT_Freak View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT_Freak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/24/2006 at 11:16pm
Get your angle right, pips are much more sensitive to changes of angle than inverted. Whether pushing, blocking or hitting the angle should not vary much.
Violin
F1
Actor

10g at 3 and 9
10g at 12
20g at the end of handle
pingpongpaddy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2006 at 8:07am
try to initiate counterhit rallies. Serve short with topside and vary that with fast flat into crossover point and backhand then follow it with a kill.
To be effective with short pimples noo need to get your kill in much earlier. As soon as the ball is 7 inches high and a little in front of you just KILL it. Practice killing off the bad pushes too. This will panic the looper into rushing to play his drive.
Also important basic practice:
FH to FH let your partner loop and block it back with fh. Then steadily turn block into controlled early ball smash off the bounce. After about twenty sessions youll find it natural to do this to the loop. As the looper begins to lob you kill with more power as early as you can.
Another important point.You may feel that if you have inverted on the forehand my advice doesnt apply but it does if you want to get the effect from punching with the sp on the bh . Sp is about denying yr opponent time!
I think yr problem blocking is just a matter of practice.
BTW ica get very heavy backspin with 802-40 so just persevere. learn to soft block and punch block so that you use 'rocking tactic'bring opp in and out.
To hone my sp game I spend a lot of time just feeding the strongest tops spinners ican find just until ifeel i can block most loops or hits just going for consistency.
But in amatch I nearly always try to bury my opp by the 5th to seventh ball.
Good luck
If the above feels alien to you maybe you should try another style.
Theres mor than one way to do it!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
agooding2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agooding2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2006 at 9:13am

Generally with short pips you'll need to open your blade and lift more.  Loops will be more forward and you really have to use your legs to get the racket accelerating as you can't just depend on the spinniness of the surface to get the ball over the net.  You may also need to step back and contact the ball on the drop rather than contacting the ball on the way up.

Short pips are good for continuing spin (as backspin to topspin) but poor at reversing spin (as topspin to topspin).  So try to convert pushes to flips and loop any long pushes you get.  If you get topspin, roll it back rather than trying to reloop.

Pushes will have less spin, so won't drop the way you're used to.  While you can still push short, the long push will be less effective and it's better to flip whenever possible.  By serving sidespin or topspin you will be less likely to get into pushing matches which short pips aren't very good at.

-- Andrew

Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2006 at 1:49pm

� If you get topspin, roll it back rather than trying to reloop.

[

-- Andrew

[/QUOTE]
with respect I suggest the best return for sp is pressure block or early ball kill. Play it early kill it early
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
agooding2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agooding2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/25/2006 at 2:48pm

I'll amend that to if you get a low topspin ball, especially away from the table to roll it rather than looping it.  I always knew what to do against high balls (kill it)!

If you are close to the table and has some speed, then you can block it.

-- Andrew

alfie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alfie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 8:01am

played last night and found it much better thanks to the advice here,I pushed very little I kinda rolled the very low serves and hit the ones that bounced above the net.

Really enjoyed it as it's a totally different animal to inverted although I found I got into trouble when my opponent sent me slow loops with heavy spin,just couldn't seem to get them back at all,so far that's the only weak point of the pips that I can see.

For some reason I found it easier to loop backspin balls on my BH,I know it's still early days but I really think SP will suit my style of play once again thanks for all the advice it's much appreciated

Blade Xiom Control 3/ALL+
BH Andro impuls speed
FH H3 Provincial
Tibhar CTE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pingpongpaddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 8:57am
Originally posted by alfie alfie wrote:

played last night and found it much better thanks to the advice here,I pushed very little I kinda rolled the very low serves and hit the ones that bounced above the net.

Really enjoyed it as it's a totally different animal to inverted although I found I got into trouble when my opponent sent me slow loops with heavy spin,just couldn't seem to get them back at all,so far that's the only weak point of the pips that I can see.

For some reason I found it easier to loop backspin balls on my BH,I know it's still early days but I really think SP will suit my style of play once again thanks for all the advice it's much appreciated

Regarding slow loop heavy spin: get practice partner with good loop get him to loop to yr forehand block. Gradually turn yr block into hit then into smash. It'll take some time but its worth it.
Another test of your kill shot. Get partner to feed normal topspin serve to your fh (the kind used to start counterhit practice). Get into position and just kill it with max power . Key is ball should be a little short of the end line so that you go forward easily. If your opp complains your killing balls from below the net you are getting int right. In fact youll be killing at peak bounce which with that kind of serve the ball is about 5 to seven inches above the table
good KILLING!!
inactive dotec carbokev

yin he galaxy 1 p
ly

FH moristo sp AX MAX

bh moristo sp ax max
agooding2 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agooding2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 12:19pm

Good advice, flat killing serves and slow loops are some of the most satisfying things about playing with short pips.  Be positive in your play for best results.

Killing pushes is fun too, just make sure to hit with an open blade, not too far out in front of you and to let their own spin bring the ball down.

-- Andrew

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic