Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

How does booster work, exactly?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Johnny.d.p View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny.d.p Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How does booster work, exactly?
    Posted: 12/03/2016 at 8:16pm
There should definitely be a consistent difference between boosted and unboosted rubber. I remember a few years ago before I improved significantly in play, I could tell the distinct difference between boosted and unboosted hurricane. You need to put it through varying 'load' in an actual game situation or in training to be able to notice it. You can't throw balls at it and leave the bat there and expect to feel any significant difference.

If boosted correctly and played correctly, not only should you hear the audible click clack difference but you should also be able to feel that the ball catapults more off the rubber and the rubber is faster by far.

I've tried different sheets of Hurricane: unboosted commercial, unboosted blue, boosted blue, boosted provincial and unboosted neo. There is a fine line between boosted and unboosted. Unboosted is very lackluster to me. I can flick against just about any serve with H3 against a particular training partner that I tested the rubbers with but it is extremely slow in play. I've found with unboosted sheets you can get spin fine but you also have to put in a lot of effort into putting on speed. Unless you have a miraculous stroke with heaps of momentum, your shots will either be moderately paced with moderate spin or very fast but borderline flat... relatively. This is coming from a spin oriented player.

I know the age old argument of you should do athletic drills and whatnot but when you're using your playstyle as a controlled variable and keeping it consistent with the independent variable of bat setup, there is a difference for sure.

Quick question of my own: From my experience, majority of the young players are straying away from spin and are insistent on speed. Is this phenomenon happening around the world where everyone else plays? I'm not sure if it's a lack of training or just a shift in play style. I'm seeing a number of players in my club which has drastically reduced in size picking up fast rubbers such as tenergy or rasant but few of them play with heavy spin let alone much spin alone...

I'll be testing my boosted rubbers as fatt has mentioned this Friday and I'll verify all this. I haven't played with boosted sheets in a while.

Edited by Johnny.d.p - 12/03/2016 at 10:15pm
BTY Viscaria FL 88g | DHS H3 BS 2.1 41 x DianChi | BTY Tenergy 64
Sponsored Links

dpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2016 at 7:56pm
Maybe. I did give it a couple of days between the last coat of booster and putting the sheets on. It could just be that the balls weren't being shot hard enough to penetrate the sponge.

Another thing - someone in that other thread pointed out that you need to remove the protective film from the topsheet before applying booster. Good point, and I hadn't done that. Otherwise the film prevents the topsheet from expanding when the sponge stretches.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2016 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by dpt dpt wrote:

Frankly, I couldn't detect any consistent difference between the boosted and unboosted rubbers.  Can anyone suggest a better way to do the experiment?

Maybe a bad / too soon a glue job?

IMHO, especially within a few days of boosting, one should be able to detect just by the sound: the boosted rubber should sound (upon hitting) like you just fired a gun, if boosted properly.
dpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2016 at 5:36pm
Ok, I'm done with this batch of boosting - two sheets of H3 Neo Prov, 4 coats of Falco tempo booster.  One sheet went on a Viscaria blade I use for playing, and the other on a blade I use with my Amicus robot.  I'm redoing another sheet to put on my playing blade.  I'm not too happy with how it came out - I think I put on too thick a coat of glue, and the topsheet came out kind of lumpy.  Plus my son's friend just tried using the Viscaria, and dove for a ball and braced his fall with the blade and tore the topsheet a little on the side.  Remind me not to let kids use the good equipment.

Anyway, the robot blade has H3 Neo Prov on both sides, but only one side boosted.  I thought I'd try to see if I could tell a difference.  I programmed the robot to serve a fairly fast ball with moderate topspin, and held the blade in front of the balls in the same position, for both sheets of rubber.  Frankly, I couldn't detect any consistent difference between the boosted and unboosted rubbers.  Can anyone suggest a better way to do the experiment?

Also - people sometimes refer to booster as oil.  It's not oil, is it?

(And just to be clear, I don't have any real expectation for this to make a big difference in my game.  I'm not at the level where it would.  I'm doing this mostly for fun - it's fun to play with this stuff.  And I hope to learn a little bit about the characteristics of rubbers by doing these comparisons.)

Edited by dpt - 12/03/2016 at 5:37pm
smackman View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smackman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2016 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Better table tennis through chemistry? I suppose that would depend both on your perspective of the sport and to a lesser extent on how much table tennis you have played and how many changes tt has gone through since you first started playing it.

most players do not boost and they keep their rubbers for a long time, only the top players and the copycats do it, regardless if they are any good at playing
Ulmo Duality,Donic BlueGrip C2 red max ,Yinhe Super Kim Ox Black
NZ table tennis selector, third in the World (plate Doubles)I'm Listed on the ITTF website
notgooord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notgooord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/03/2016 at 3:14pm
If you dont want rubber to curl then dont let it curl in the first place!!!

Edited by notgooord - 12/04/2016 at 5:53am
dpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2016 at 8:19pm
Thanks. That's a great thread on the topic! Many of the pictures have bad links though. Is there any way you can fix?
dpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2016 at 6:16pm
Does anyone have any advice as to whether or not you need to wait until the boosted sheet has uncurled?  The last time I boosted, I waited 4 days.  The sheet was still very curled up, so I just gave up and glued it anyway.  Do you people do that too?  The youtube videos say to wait until it is uncurled.

It seemed to work fine doing it my way, although the first time I tried to glue it, it curled partially off the next day.  So I glued it again (and the second coat of glue expanded the rubber again quite a bit!)
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2016 at 4:50pm
Better table tennis through chemistry? I suppose that would depend both on your perspective of the sport and to a lesser extent on how much table tennis you have played and how many changes tt has gone through since you first started playing it.

bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
adishorul View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adishorul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2016 at 4:33pm
IMHO the best thing about booster is they give an amazing feeling, wich unfortunatelly doesn't last more than couple of weeks.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2016 at 4:15pm
The part about dwell time is not well understood, especially how it affects spin. It is a complex interaction involving multiple elements, namely friction and elasticity. The general rule follows that as the bounce increases, dwell time decreases, yet the ability to spin is closely dependent on it.
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
dpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/02/2016 at 2:03pm
Ok, so back to boosters and how they work - boosters expand the sponge, just like adding water to a dry sponge. And they thusly soften the sponge, increasing dwell time, and also stretch the topsheet, making it more spinny. Correct?

Is there a difference between different boosters, and if so - what is the nature of the difference. And what is booster? I've seen it referred to as a type of oil, is that what is is?

And an unrelated question - I'm on my fourth coat of booster on two sheets of H3 Neo (to be used as forehand rubber on two different blades). The sheets are curled into tubes. The youtube videos I've seen say to wait until the sheets uncurl. In my experience, they never do. Should I just go ahead and glue them with enough glue to hold them to the blades? Or weigh them down under books or something, to uncurl them?
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2016 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Well, even the Japanese people suspect Tenergy came boosted at the factory(noting its huge performance lead over the Tensor back when it was first released) and Mizutani used it without being aware.

http://hayabusa6.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/pingpong/1456064653/, post 20.

Its known that sponsored players have a tiny metal bottle with booster. And mizutani was carrying that small bottle in a worlds there are boosters from nittaku donic butterfly. A korean women in the us open also had that metal bottle sold one to a coach
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2016 at 1:44pm
Well, even the Japanese people suspect Tenergy came boosted at the factory(noting its huge performance lead over the Tensor back when it was first released) and Mizutani used it without being aware.

http://hayabusa6.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/pingpong/1456064653/, post 20.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
bes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2016 at 1:41pm
Some light reading (actaully, pretty technical!) about speed glue...  LINK

I think I used to have another paper regarding speed glue and booster (by Waqidi Falicoff), but can't find it.

Note that modern boosters and old school (Like ASTI) boosters seem pretty different.  The old ASTI booster was basically just the solvents from speed glue - without the rubber.  That stuff was VERY strong, but didn't last any longer than speed glue.

bes

mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2016 at 1:07pm
I find it interesting that we complain that table tennis doesn't get the respect it deserves, while discussing how to cheat to win. 
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2016 at 12:52pm
TENERGY IS FAMOUS FOR NOT BEING FACTORY TREATED.

ALL Tenergy sheets are well alike, without oily additived, whether for general market or for national players. Should Tenergy factory put some oil to the sponge, then the rubber gets a greater weigh some 95 grammes unpacked sheet.
It is not the case for Tenergy rubbers, all the rubbers keep within 82 -84 grammes, which is a good argument that rubber oil free.
Another strong proof is Mizutani's and Boll's many public statement they did never get treated rubber from Buterfly factory.
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/01/2016 at 12:36pm
TENERGY IS FAMOUS FOR NOT BEING FACTORY TREATED.

ALL Tenergy sheets are well alike, without oily additived, whether for general market or for national players. Should Tenergy factory put some oil to the sponge, then the rubber gets a greater weigh some 95 grammes unpacked sheet.
It is not the case for Tenergy rubbers, all the rubbers keep within 82 -84 grammes, which is a good prove that rubber oil free.
Another strong prove is Mizutani and Boll state they did never get treated rubber from Buterfly factory.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by slevin slevin wrote:

Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Contrary to popular opinion, there has been no proof that Butterfly does factory tuning to the sponge in Tenergy and the observational data is that they do not.

About a year and a half ago, I put 2 brand new sheets of T05 2.1 on my blade. I left 1 of those 2 sheets open for 2 days before gluing onto blade. The 2nd sheet, I glued onto the blade immediately after removing the wrapping.

To me, there was a clear difference in performance, especially in the 1st 5 days or so. I'm not saying that it is booster that Asahi applies but there's certainly something there.
Tenergy is very sensitive to oxidation.  It would be wise to keep Tenergy sealed at all times, except when playing.  For an already glued paddle, that means using protection sheets and placing it in a bag or case.

Tenergy is very sensitive in general.  It's playing characteristics can change a lot depending up how hot or cold it gets (such as when you leave your paddle in the car on a warm or cold day) and it is notoriously slippery in humid conditions.  At 90% humidity, my Tenergy is more slick than my friend's anti-rubber.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 9:52pm
The H3 Neo comes with a layer of gooey substance on the sponge, officially known as 打底层(base coat), said to increase the bounce, presumably tuned. Some people think it is simply a cash grab.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
dpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 9:23pm
I don't think so. Where'd you hear that? People usually say that it's designed to be boosted. I'm not sure if that's true either.
Jasonh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasonh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by dpt dpt wrote:

By the way, I'm getting ready to do an experiment. I am making a blade with 2 brand new sheets of H3 Neo Prov, one boosted and one not. I want to compare the rebound of each sheet, to balls served by my robot.

I heard that H3 Neo is factory boosted?
Fly away!
dpt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dpt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 8:36pm
By the way, I'm getting ready to do an experiment. I am making a blade with 2 brand new sheets of H3 Neo Prov, one boosted and one not. I want to compare the rebound of each sheet, to balls served by my robot.
slevin View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by benfb benfb wrote:

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one. Contrary to popular opinion, there has been no proof that Butterfly does factory tuning to the sponge in Tenergy and the observational data is that they do not.

About a year and a half ago, I put 2 brand new sheets of T05 2.1 on my blade. I left 1 of those 2 sheets open for 2 days before gluing onto blade. The 2nd sheet, I glued onto the blade immediately after removing the wrapping.

To me, there was a clear difference in performance, especially in the 1st 5 days or so. I'm not saying that it is booster that Asahi applies but there's certainly something there.
benfb View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benfb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Matt Pimple Matt Pimple wrote:

And what do you think BTY puts on the sponge to make Tenergy bouncy?

Factory tuned sponges are usually pretty obvious to spot when taken out of the package. Also, they lose that tuning over a period of a couple of months (or quicker), regardless of the amount of play.  Both of these points do no apply to Tenergy.

In response to Igor, I will say that petroleum based oils typically cause degradation of rubber compounds (try applying oil to the rubber brake pads on your bicycle and see what happens).  However, I don't know if that applies to the oils used in boosting.

And I may be over-using the word degradation here.  If you have a rubber whose top sheet is losing it's grip (typically by a combination of wear and tear plus hardening from oxidation from old age), you can put vegetable oil on it to "rejuvenate" it.  The top sheet will regain lost grip and become pliable again.  It will also wear out even faster.

Earlier this year I recycled some of my old sheets of Tenergy.  These were sheets that had 200+ hours of play on them, so that the sponge was dead and the top sheets were worn.  I reglued them with booster and also rejuvenated the top sheet with oil. I found the sheets had become usable again and I was able to get an extra month of play out of them.  I wouldn't recommend this process for serious play, but if you're on a budget (Tenergy being expensive and all), then it might be a way to get more bang for your buck.
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 6:46pm
The real reason behind the speed-glue ban! To make people go through them like toilet paper.
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

OIL IS MUCH A POISON. IT KILLS THE RUBBER.

Read the above patent my friend. And what do you think BTY puts on the sponge to make Tenergy bouncy?

Edited by Matt Pimple - 11/30/2016 at 6:49pm
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 6:43pm
OIL IS MUCH A POISON. IT KILLS THE RUBBER.

Rubber scientists proved that oily compounds would always bring the sponge material degraded. Oil tends to soften rubber / sponge. After oil applications sponge sheet eventually gets non elactic, less bouncy..

You will be much unhappy to find your Tenergy power play gone away after a couple oil applications.
Matt Pimple View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Matt Pimple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 6:39pm
OSP Ultimate; Dr. Neubauer Dominance Spin Hard max, Dr. Neubauer Troublemaker 0.5

My Feedback
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11/30/2016 at 6:28pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
= 184.8g
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic