Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Lighter Viscarias can generate more spin ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
chroot View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chroot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 4:46pm
flex blade can easily generate more spin. the lighter/heavier blade may or may not generate more speed on the ball.

remember momentum formula? :)
p = m * v. if you are using a lighter blade, you may swing it faster than a heavier blade, but heavier blade has larger value in m.

Edited by chroot - 12/08/2016 at 4:47pm
BTY Viscaria 90g
DHS Hurricane 3 NEO, 39/2.1
BTY Tenergy 05 1.9

My Feedbacks
Sponsored Links

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 5:56pm
OK, here are some other considerations (reasons why I doubt the premise). 

Regarding the last comment, all that momentum from your swing gets transferred to the ball which is given two kinds of momentum -- translational momentum (ball movinging through the air at a certain speed given its mass) and angular momentum (from rotations, i.e. spin).  So a heavier blade has more momentum, doesn't mean it all gets converted into angular momentum instead of translational momentum.  As zeio mentioned, it is not obvious to me that a setup a few grams lighter affects swing speed, certainly not on a forehand loop!

Second, who is to say that a blade that is a few grams lighter is actually more flexible?  A lot of the time the extra weight comes from variations in the handle, not the underlying blade.  So even if a more flexible blade generates more spin (which itself may or may not be true although it seems intuitive) it is not obvious that the two blades in question actually differ in flex.  Differences in the handle, though, might affect how your hand senses the ball impact.  It could make shots feel different.
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by zeio zeio wrote:

Originally posted by jackwong23 jackwong23 wrote:

And unless my eyes tell me lies, I do believe a 85g Viscaria create more topspin than a 90g Viscaria.
My lighter Vis has more dwell time and makes the ball dip/curve more.

Then a lighter Viscaria suits you better. That's what matters.

At the end of the day, this is the bottom line. 

There are a lot of reasons some people like lighter blades.  Some people find it facilitates FH to BH transitions (I know that affects me when blades get above my favored weight range).  Some people find the lighter blade gives better touch in short game (and there are excellent physiological reasons why that might be true).  Even elbow problems.  As for generating more spin, I have had many Viscarias, and liked a small subset of them MUCH better than the others -- for everything.  I don't think it was just the weight though.  For some reason a couple of them were just perfect.  It is good you found one like that.

There are a lot of issues at play. 

(1) 50% more spin?  Entirely implausible.  As zeio implied in his remarks.  And I would need a lot more information than arc of the ball.  In essence, none of us have a good means to measure the spin we put on a ball in any rational way.  What you would need to do it properly costs more than any of us could spend. 
(2)  The fact that you like one at least 50% more, that I completely believe.  I have had Viscarias where I liked one at least that much more than the other. 
(3)  Small sample size.  You are comparing two blades, which happen to differ in weight.  You like one a lot better.  Then you attribute all of it to the weight.  Sorry, can't do that.  It is a pretty common fallacy.  Even with larger sample size, correlation does not always imply causation, but with just two blades you don't really even have a correlation.  
kurokami View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurokami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 7:16pm
+1 baal. sorry jack but your analysis is wrong. blade selection going lighter is often for quicker rebound i.e. reduced dwell for kids or seniors looking for extra speed with less effort.

the heavier blades absorb more and are popular bc of their defensive and offensive ability on the extreme ends. as baal indicated, physics of momentum equations, for both rotational and translational, is also positively related to mass. 

that you feel the lighter one allows for more spin is more a result of your technique and touch perception, not due to the weight of the blade
Viscaria
H3N/T05
http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=65345&KW=&title=feedback-kurokami
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by kurokami kurokami wrote:

that you feel the lighter one allows for more spin is more a result of your technique and touch perception, not due to the weight of the blade

Which is very real and underlies the fact that Jack has found a blade he likes, which is the main thing.
Kolev View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kolev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 8:29pm
Interesting. My experience with the same blades goes like this:
-the lighter the blade the more the spin, but......among my three blades with exactly the same weight, there is "The One" which produces most spin, than I have the second and than the third.I believe the gluing, or the matureness of the ply's can be the key factor
Hallmark Carbon Extreme (x3)
FH: D05/G1/RX
BH: Z2/D64/Ω7Pro
jackwong23 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/08/2016 at 11:57pm
So most people don't agree with me that it was the lighter weight of the blade Which created the extra spin .

SO WHAT caused the extra spin?

1. Did I use the same technique when
Top spinning with both blades?
Yes, most definitely. I HAVE a very repeatable forehand topspin technique. I let the ball sinks into the sponge as much as I can before brushing the ball.

2, DID I brush the ball as much for both blades?
YES, I definitely brushed the ball as much for both blades

3. Did I topspin the ball with Similar angle for both blades?
I am sure I did not deliberately close the racket angle to create spinnier
Shots for the heavier blade.

I Believe it was not my techniques which created the extra spin.
If it was not the weight, what is it then ? THE flex of the blade ? THE quality of the wood used ? I AM not so sure.

Have I found my perfect blade ? Probably.
I have only played with this 85g Viscaria blade
For 2 months and it is acceptable to me so far. THE EXTRA
Spin it gives me is great, but it has a somewhat hollow feeling
And lacks a bit of power which I don't like. THE 90g viscaria blade is much more powerful but is a lot less spinny. My 85g viscaria is probably
50 % spinnier.

Edited by jackwong23 - 12/09/2016 at 12:00am
Schlager72 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schlager72 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2016 at 12:06am

Send me the 90g Viscaria for Christmas
M.Maze
FH H3 Neo (prov)
BH MX-P
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2016 at 12:12am
Again with the 50% number.

Well.        Ok.       
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2016 at 12:25am
Originally posted by Baal Baal wrote:

Well.        Ok.       

IT IS JUST a rough estimation , Baal.
I have no idea how MUCH spinnier the lighter blade is.

YOU would need to do a blade test with an expensive equipments to find
Out, which is beyond the scope of most forum members here.
IanMcg View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IanMcg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2016 at 12:27am
Perhaps a 86 or 87g Viscaria would be the perfect balance?
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2016 at 1:43am

Well.        Ok.       

50% extra spin is only a conservative estimation for this blade, could be somewhere like 80 ~100 %.

THIS 85g Viscaria can create crazy spin and dip with its extra long dwell time. When I spin the ball with this blade, it is like spinning a 38mm celluloid ball with an old Yasaka Extra blade and almost every nicely timed topspin loop would dip after landing on my opponents' side of the table.
ON many occasions, the opponents standing on mid and long distance missed the ball all together because the ball dipped so much.
When I hit it hard; it performs like a carbon blade with a slight hollow feeling. ABSOLUTELY amazing.

Edited by jackwong23 - 12/09/2016 at 2:10am
vic#74 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vic#74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2016 at 1:51am
Measure the thickness of both blades, it's not that hard. My guess - it's a flex - 99.99%
ITC Premier XR
Nittaku Sieger Pk50
Tibhar Evolution EL-S
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2016 at 2:16am

This is a part of the reason that I know that a 5 g or so difference in blade weight in Viscarias does not systematically result in a 50% or 80% or 100% or some other miraculous increase in spin.  (And there were others, sold, given away, and in one case stolen).

But hey, if that's what you think, great. 
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jackwong23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2016 at 2:25am

This is a part of the reason that I know that a 5 g or so difference in blade weight in Viscarias does not systematically result in a 50% or 80% or 100% or some other miraculous increase in spin.

But hey, if that's what you think, great. 

Nice collection, Baal.
AS I said before, maybe the weight of the blade has nothing to do with miraculous increase of spin.

MAYBE it is the flex and quality of wood used which contributed to the miraculous increase of spin.

Edited by jackwong23 - 12/09/2016 at 2:27am
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2016 at 2:27am
Uh huh....    Ok.
nv42 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nv42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2016 at 3:20am
After reading kurokamis post about how lighter blades are chosen for kids so because of the quicker rebound I just remembered something.
1. The lighter vega pro which I tried did feel hollower than the heavier ones, but it was also a tad bit stiffer. Now did the heavier vega pros create less spin cuz of the extra flex? (or maybe there wasn't any extra flex, maybe it was just my perception).

2.i'v tried quite a few of sanwei f3 bulldozer ( a bit similar in construction to MA long V with a walnut or dark limba top, will post a review soon as I get some free time). And the heavier of the lot here felt like it could spin the ball easier, and the heavier ones also felt less flexy. The lighter ones were around 93-95gms and the heavier ones a were 101-103 gms. Pretty heavy, but still remains balanced with two mx-p's for me, so currently my main blade.

So yeah, bascially all this perception of extra spin can come due to many factors and its impossible to theorize it.

And I wonder if the OPs heavy viscaria was cut out of a frying pan, creating 50 percent more spin than that wouldn't make sense otherwise. 😂. Jk
1.dhs pg2 fl

-FH t05h (max)
-BH tibhar genius (max)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic