Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - If you had to make a set-up from the following...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If you had to make a set-up from the following...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Simon_plays View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If you had to make a set-up from the following...
    Posted: 12/08/2016 at 3:58pm
for an adult beginner that's learning slowly after just over 2 years and who you can't see any video of, which combination would you chose? 

Blades: 
TBS, 
Donic Applegren Allplay, 
Person Power Allround
Waldner Ultra Senso Carbo

Rubbers: 
T-05 1.7
Calibra Sound Max
Donic Acuda S2 2.0
Donic Copa Tagora 2.0
Joola Rythm

I've not been that happy with how I've been playing recently and my coach suggested I change to one of the Donic blades and also change my rubber to the Acuda, the aim of all this being to get a bit more control etc. 

Before he said this to me I tried to avoid blaming my equipment and just sticking with what I've got for as long as possible (see signature for what I'm playing with now) but now that I've got permission to change I'm finding it hard to chose. Any suggestions welcome.
Sponsored Links

coffeeholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coffeeholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2016 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Simon_plays Simon_plays wrote:

for an adult beginner that's learning slowly after just over 2 years and who you can't see any video of, which combination would you chose? 

Blades: 
TBS, 
Donic Applegren Allplay, 
Person Power Allround
Waldner Ultra Senso Carbo

Rubbers: 
T-05 1.7
Calibra Sound Max
Donic Acuda S2 2.0
Donic Copa Tagora 2.0
Joola Rythm

I've not been that happy with how I've been playing recently and my coach suggested I change to one of the Donic blades and also change my rubber to the Acuda, the aim of all this being to get a bit more control etc. 

Before he said this to me I tried to avoid blaming my equipment and just sticking with what I've got for as long as possible (see signature for what I'm playing with now) but now that I've got permission to change I'm finding it hard to chose. Any suggestions welcome.

I'd say go for the Allplay and a pair of original Coppa's. It's on sale at tt11 for 21 per sheet. That or go for the Acuda S3's. Start slow and don't downgrade just one notch thinking you can handle one step slower. Go a couple steps slower and work your way up. 
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha | Yasaka Rakza 7 | Xiom OmegaIV Euro
Rubbers don't offer control. YOU are the control!
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/09/2016 at 11:06pm
Appelgren Allplay is a great blade.  Acuda would be ok with it I think.
NextLevel View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NextLevel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2016 at 12:13am
Do exactly what your coach wants so he can take some responsibility for your development. It is refreshing to hear a coach give advice on equipment.
I like putting heavy topspin on the ball...
Cybershape Carbon
FH/BH: H3P 41D.
Lumberjack TT, not for lovers of beautiful strokes. No time to train...
kolevtt View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kolevtt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2016 at 3:50am
Allround blade with softer classic rubber will give you more confidence in all the strokes if you want to improve - this is the way you must go. Probably your coach noticed correctly your troubles, just ask him for the most appropriate combination for you. As people here suggested appelgren all + coppa 2.0mm or acuda 1.8mm will be ok for start. Tell us the result when you make the paddle. Good luck!
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2016 at 5:15am
Appelgren Allplay is a nice blade, but maybe too much different from your actual Boll Spirit.
Persson Powerallround is a good option, because it is a bit faster than the Allplay,
but I have anther proposal for you:

Instead of the Ultra Senso Carbon you could buy the normal Waldner Senso Carbon.
Although it is a composite blade, the WSC feels more like an all wood blade.
To complete your new Donic paddle: forehand = Acuda S2, backhand = Coppa Tagora.
SmackDAT View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SmackDAT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2016 at 11:31am
Walnder Senso Carbon and Bluefire M2/Acuda S2 2.0 would be good but it all depends on your style and level of play. However, I can say that Bluefire M2 is an excellent rubber which is comparable to Tenergy.
Zhang Jike ALC AN (88g)
Tenergy 05 Hard (2.1, B)
Tenergy 19 (2.1, R)
https://goo.gl/bFWoxW
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2016 at 5:53pm
I went for the Applegren Allplay in the end. A combination of that blade's online reputation for being an excellent control blade for learners along with its cost and the nicely rounded grip appealed to me. And I think there's something about the Applegren brand as being a bit of an underdog when compared to his more successful 

Rubberwise I decided to get the Acuda for the FH because it was recommended and I quite liked it for the short time I got to try it. 

On the BH I put a sheet of Rhyzm with max sponge that I bought second hand on a whim and thought I might as well use before spending more money equipment that I don't have enough time to play with.

Had one short session at the club so far with this set up, feels noticeably slower but if I go for the shots and get everything right definitely still gets enough on it. 

Biggest difference I noticed so far with this new set up is going from a FL handle to a ST handle, feels much better and I don't see the need for a FL handle when you're only really supposed to grip the bat with the thumb and index finger. Plus I've been wanting to try a ST blade for a while now.

Breaking 1000 here I come!
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon_plays Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/10/2016 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by Magic_M Magic_M wrote:

Appelgren Allplay is a nice blade, but maybe too much different from your actual Boll Spirit.
Persson Powerallround is a good option, because it is a bit faster than the Allplay,
but I have anther proposal for you:

Instead of the Ultra Senso Carbon you could buy the normal Waldner Senso Carbon.
Although it is a composite blade, the WSC feels more like an all wood blade.
To complete your new Donic paddle: forehand = Acuda S2, backhand = Coppa Tagora.

That does make a lot of sense, and after having gone for the Allplay I am a bit worried that the change to an all wood blade might be a bit disruptive. I was really tempted by the Ultra Senso Carbon and it felt good when I tried it but I was put off by its supposed Off+ rating and worried that with new rubbers it might become a bit of a wildcard. The slower version you mention sounds perfect. Next time.

Still, would you recommend the same rubbers for the Allplay as well? 

Edited by Simon_plays - 12/10/2016 at 6:01pm
Magic_M View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Magic_M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/11/2016 at 3:45am
Like I wrote: the Allplay is definitely slower compared to the Waldner Senso Carbon. Maybe the Coppa Tagora on the backhand is not the best choice on the Allplay, especially as you seem to like extremely fast rubbers like Rhyzm. In this case you could use S2/M2 on the Allplay. Try out which rubber fits better for your backhand or forehand.

Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2016 at 9:47am
Yes, I think too that with an Allplay you can definitely use faster rubbers.
ThePongProfessor View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThePongProfessor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/12/2016 at 6:26pm
Allplay and Calibra Sound as the auditory feedback will teach you proper stroke execution 
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/ThePongProfessor

Feedback
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic