FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login
tabletennis11.com

Illegal serves at Cardiff Satellite Grand Prix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Illegal serves at Cardiff Satellite Grand Prix
    Posted: 12/19/2016 at 5:51pm
So my sons and I enter the Cardiff Grand Prix.
Wow lots and lots of blocking serves.

So what is going on when a top 50 senior england ranked player hides contact of the blade striking the ball with his arm for 4 sets against a cadet who is ranked about 700.
This was the most extreme case.
Ironically this player got knocked out by a very good player who ended up winning the whole thing.  So the illegal serving top 50 guy is complaining to the umpire about the other guy blocking his contact on serve. (do you want to be the pot or the kettle?)
This was just one case of this happening.

So I play 6 games on the Saturday and 3 of my opponents all under the age of 18 are blocking the contact on serve with their arms.  Who is coaching them to do this?
They can't be old school from when this was legal.  They are clearly being coached to do it.

So on the sunday in my Vets group I win my first match and then whilst I watch the 2 guys I have left to play they both illegal serve, every serve for whole match.

I am now exasparated so i go up to organiser and ask for an umpire for my matches and explain why.
So I am 6-4 ahead against best player in group and he serves 2 illegal serves.  So i ask the umpire why he has not called it and explain that when contact was made with the ball on serve i could not see the ball.  Umpire said serve was legal (IT DEFINATELY WAS NOT). So long story short and too his credit the guy made an earnest effort not to illegal serve and eventually won 3-1.  After game we chatted and he was pretty decent about it and said sometimes he just forgets to move his arm.

So i play the 3rd guy and he illegal serves every serve for whole of first set and wins.  i question it and umpire said his serve was fine (IT DEFINATELY WAS NOT).
So i moan a bit and next game the guy made an effort to serve legally mostly, guess what i won this set (now there is a surprise).
So eventually the guy beats me 3-1, really good game, better player than me, i played well and tryed to enjoy it.  Still 40 to 50% percent of the serves were illegal.  I dont want to say he delibaretly illegally serves when the game was tight but it felt like that.
Anyway umpire would not call them.

Now in defence of the organisers and umpires whenever i complained about the serves the organisers sent an umpire or came to watch.  Guess what sevreral times when the organiser came over the illegally serving guy changed his serve. 
Also i know several umpires there actually warned players and a few of them awarded points against for foul serves.

I have a new years resolution to make, I will always be polite and assume my opponent does not fully know the rules, however from Jan 1st im questioning all illegal serves at league and tournamnets whether myself, sons or team mates are playing.
So you better hope i dont get to umpire your game Mr Dodgy Serve Guy (or Gal).
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
FH: Tenergy 05fx
BH: Spinlord Keiler
Sponsored Links

GMan4911 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GMan4911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2016 at 6:11pm
If you wait until the game is over to complain, don't expect much to happen.

I played at a tournament recently and faced a player who I knew beforehand to be an illegal server.
As expected, his first serve was illegal (hiding the ball with his free hand).  I played the point out, then called him on it.  Second serve, same thing and again I called him on it after playing the point out.  After I served my two, his third serve was again illegal.  This time I caught the ball with my free hand, called a let, then reminded him that he had to remove his free hand after the toss.  From then on, his serves were legal.  Unfortunately, he went back to his old ways for his next matches because no one else complained.  I'm not going to be so nice if I have to face him again. Angry
OSP Ultimate II, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max
ITC Challenge Speed, FH/ITC Powercell Ultra 48 Max BH/Powercell Ultra 48 Max
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2016 at 6:36pm
It was pretty appalling from what I saw this weekend. Usually my gripe is serving out of hand which happens loads in our local league.
At least your opponent served fairly after you called him 3 times.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2016 at 7:18pm
It seems most umpires are afraid to call illegal serves. 

If I get an umpire and he doesn't call illegal serves, I'm tempted to shake the hand of the cheater and congratulate him for winning by cheating, then walk away from the match.

edit.  In my over 70's finals at the U.S. Open the umpire made 3 or 4 calls on illegal serves.  I didn't see them since I find if I focus on whether the serves are illegal or not, I sometimes miss reading the serve.

I know one coach in the San Francisco area that teaches his kids to serve illegally.

Edited by mts388 - 12/19/2016 at 7:23pm
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2016 at 7:25pm
yes that has crossed my mind. my present thought is that I wont make any attempt to return illegal serves and just let opponent have point for nothing.
my other idea was to video my games, then show them and the organisers video evidence after, video evidence would undoubtedly prove the illegality
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
Purett View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Purett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2016 at 8:04pm
we need more umpires 
you guys should become umpires 
rating solid 1000
moving up to 1001
dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2016 at 11:54pm
I'm not a Nascar fan, but I once heard a quote about racing- If you don't get busted for cheating once in a while, you are not trying hard enough. 

I don't like that mentality to be honest, but if illegal serves are being allowed you almost have no choice but to join them. Like many sports your TT game can be completely thrown off by the mental anguish of playing someone who is cheating. If you just expect it and play accordingly I bet you'd be much better off. 
Thanks!
mts388 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/19/2016 at 11:58pm
[QUOTE=dmoney]I'm not a Nascar fan, but I once heard a quote about racing- If you don't get busted for cheating once in a while, you are not trying hard enough. 

I don't like that mentality to be honest, but if illegal serves are being allowed you almost have no choice but to join them. Like many sports your TT game can be completely thrown off by the mental anguish of playing someone who is cheating. If you just expect it and play accordingly I bet you'd be much better off. 

I don't see a reason why we have to tolerate illegal serves.  They are easy to spot and easy to call.  Why don't the umpires call them.  Are they afraid?
dmoney View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmoney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2016 at 12:15am
I think they are hard to call because of the relative angle of the umpire compared with the player receiving the serve. I bet it is hard to see if the view is actually obstructed. So push it to the limit, not because you want to but you have to in order to be competitive. When in Rome.....
Thanks!
Tt Gold View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tt Gold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2016 at 1:11am
Illegal serves must be a huge thing in the US. Here in Germany I rarely encounter illegal servers. I only know two that hide their service. I don't get it. Are players these days just too bad or why do they need to cheat? Then again always remember, the best players don't hide their service.
LUCKYLOOP View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LUCKYLOOP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2016 at 2:12am

Any videos of any of the tournament's matches ?

We could critique them
Hntr Fl / 4H & BH Xiom Sigma Pro 2 2.0
Yinhe T-2 / 4H Xiom Sig Pro 2 2.0 BH Xiom Omega IV Elite Max
Gam DC / 4H DHS Hurricane 8 39deg 2.1 BH GD CC LP OX
HARDBAT / Hock 3 ply / Frenshp Dr Evil OX
qpskfec View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote qpskfec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2016 at 2:19am
Many top pros hide serves. Players at lower levels emulate pros.

Larrytt has blogged extensively on this topic at the highest levels of the game, This is one that includes clear video of hidden serves at the pro level by a wttc winner

http://tabletenniscoaching.com/node/669
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2016 at 7:20am
Originally posted by dmoney dmoney wrote:

I think they are hard to call because of the relative angle of the umpire compared with the player receiving the serve. I bet it is hard to see if the view is actually obstructed. So push it to the limit, not because you want to but you have to in order to be competitive. When in Rome.....

However the rules clearly state that if the umpire is in any doubt about the illegality of a serve it is in fact illegal. it is the job of the server to leave the umpire in no doubt.
What I have noticed is a lot of players nearly hide the ball, there arm is not really blocking the ball but it is still out in front of them. However if you are left handed (like my son) the angles are different and this often blocks the ball partially.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2016 at 7:25am
the rules state, "It is the responsibility of the player to serve so that the umpire or the assistant umpire can be satisfied that he or she complies with the requirements of the Laws, and either may decide that a service is incorrect."
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2016 at 8:10am
It's up to the umpire. If he thinks it is legal - it is legal. Players cannot do anything. 
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/20/2016 at 9:05am
yes but the fact is some umpires just wont call it.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2016 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by mog1111 mog1111 wrote:

I have a new years resolution to make, I will always be polite and assume my opponent does not fully know the rules, however from Jan 1st im questioning all illegal serves at league and tournamnets whether myself, sons or team mates are playing.
So you better hope i dont get to umpire your game Mr Dodgy Serve Guy (or Gal).

I actually meant to respond to this thread but got a little too busy.  Keep in mind two things:

1.  There are several elements that make a serve legal: at the start flat palm, behind the end line, above the table, stationary before toss (I like to use this as a counter accusation LOL), then during 6 inch minimum toss, vertical toss, then you get into the hidden portion whether it's not dropping the arm or covering with the shoulder or elbow, then the ball/racket contact must be made behind the end line.  Most people complain about the hidden and the low/no toss and sometimes I do see the non-vertical complaints.  But if someone were to accuse me of something, I can easily call them on the other things.  So if you're gonna question people out, you should be ready to defend your own service on ALL elements.

2.  I see that you called an umpire.  Once you do that, you have transferred all responsibilities and all calls to that person.  What you think is no longer relevant.  Bad/incompetent/uninformed umpires exist in all sports, not just table tennis.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2016 at 2:34pm
1. yes my serves are very very legal, however I do have a very fast no toss fh serve. I have been considering making my serves so obscenely illegal, people will call me
eg. serving with my hand about a foot over the table and no toss.

2. IMO most umpires wont call serves at lower levels as they don't want to rock any boats
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
BeaverMD View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeaverMD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2016 at 2:50pm

1. yes my serves are very very legal, however I do have a very fast no toss fh serve. I have been considering making my serves so obscenely illegal, people will call me
eg. serving with my hand about a foot over the table and no toss.

LOL! That's the way to do it.  Make your serve COMPLETELY illegal and when you get called by the other player or an umpire, you can just make an adjustment and even if your serve is slightly illegal, you're ok :)

2. IMO most umpires wont call serves at lower levels as they don't want to rock any boats

Happens at pro level too.  They are volunteers and would very much like to keep that daily ITTF stipend :)
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2017 at 11:39am
Most umpires hardly ever pull anyone up for anything that isn't black and white. There us of course one well known Yorkshire umpire and stickler for the rules who won't let anything at all go. Ask him to umpire your match if he is at the next tournament. Send me a message if you need clarification about who I mean. (Though even he could do nothing about a blatant glue cheat a few tournaments back as they have no way of checking).
Alternatively develop some dodgy tactics of your own.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2017 at 7:26pm
I have a great idea for an illegal serve. Look at something in the room, wait for the opponent to turn and look away. Then do a quick serve. Should win point every time.

That should stop the low t**sers and ball blockers!!
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2017 at 11:24pm

Look at the opening case on this video. This brave umpire deserves praising a lot.   Yet, I do not think his action is the best acceptable way to deal the offender..   Umpire is always recommended to have a friendly talk with the offending server prior to warning him oficially.   
This is a HMO official directive for umpires how to properly deal the service of doubtful legality.      

10.6.3 Whether or not a formal warning is given there is no objection to a player whose service action is only marginally acceptable being advised informally, between rallies, by either the umpire or assistant umpire, that any deterioration could make it illegal.
Contrary to popular belief, a player is not entitled to a warning for a first illegal service, and a clear failure to meet the requirements of the service law should always be penalised by the
award of a point.

10.6.4 The umpire or assistant umpire has no power to ignore an infringement of the service law because he or she does not believe that it gives the server any advantage and there is no justification for overlooking a first offence in the hope that it was a temporary lapse. The offence may be repeated at a critical stage of the match, and a player penalised then could justly protest that he or she had been given no earlier indication that the action was illegal.

Igor Novick
20 year's umpiring experience.
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2017 at 7:27am
Wow, I wish we had strict umpires like that. I am tempted to try and become a local umpire with the sole mission of cleaning up serves in places I play. LOL
We have a highly qualified umpire locally and he often tells players quietly if they serve illegally after game (after all its only a social local league). A lot of the time they just ignore him.
It seems that illegal serves has just become acceptable, I think a lot of people don't genuinely know the rules.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
APW46 View Drop Down
Assistant Moderator
Assistant Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote APW46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2017 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by JKC JKC wrote:

Alternatively develop some dodgy tactics of your own.

As we both know James, the only way to compete, fire with fire.
The Older I get, The better I was.
JKC View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2017 at 4:17pm
I prefer 'fight fire with stopping at home and avoiding fire'.
TTHOUSTON View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TTHOUSTON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2017 at 4:26pm
IMO, You try to learn to ignore to those illegal serve then you can feel better and more focus in the game, that is the best way for me. 
 If you can't handle your temper and it is keep bother you then you need practice few illegal serve as they are then use them with those guy. That is fair.
 The best way to see what spin they serve with blocking arm is bend your knee and your eyes as close as the net level (do not stand up when they contact the ball). Good luck. 
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2017 at 10:37pm
I have sometimes seen people grasp at the idea that their opponent is serving illegally when they are frustrated at how things are going.  I agree with TTHouston here.

Wiggy, where the hell have you been?
mog1111 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mog1111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2017 at 5:47am
yes this is what I encourage my son to do.

but still the fact remains that some people gain so clear an advantage from serving off the palm of their hand or hiding the ball its very unfair.
Yasaka Ma Lin Carbon
igorponger View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote igorponger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 12:45am
TSUBOI'S SERVICE . Is it good or not?

FRIENDS,

Let's look into this case closely.    After getting his free hand stationary at the start of service, Tsuboi then moving his free hand horizontally a long way from the table's center line to the corner, before tossing the ball up.
Such a prolonged horizontal movement by the server's free hand does contravene the Service Rule anyway.

THE SERVICE
Service shall start with the ball
resting freely on the open palm of
the server's stationary free hand.

The server shall then project the
ball near vertically upwards ......

The Rules do require the server to throw the ball upwards, without moving the ball horizontally or sideways.

AFTERWORD.
In my own view, this Tsuboi's service is a clear FAULT and it should be treated by the umpire accordingly..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=

VIDEO (2)
FREE HAND TRAVELLING SIDEWAYS AFTER THE SERVICE STARTED..

One more player is known to use illegal service oftentimes, Elias Ranefur of Sweden.     
View this exemplary video Timer 5:00 onward.   Likewise Tsuboi's faulty service, Ranefur's should be called by umpire for the same reason -- server's free hand does not throw the ball upwards, it is traveling sideways fairly long.   This is a clear service fault, to be penalised by umpire.
Umpires' utter neglegance, this Ranefur's' bad serving never been called.     It looks like most of the international match officials unwilling (fearful??) to deal the wrong servers in exacting manner, or maybe they do not have true understanding of the rules. Who knows..   

Your's respectfully
Igor Novick
20 year's umpiring experience
Tinykin View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tinykin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 10:33am
Interesting. What do you think about the calls at 9:01 and 14:30?

Originally posted by igorponger igorponger wrote:

Look at the opening case on this video. This brave umpire deserves praising a lot.   Yet, I do not think his action is the best acceptable way to deal the offender..   Umpire is always recommended to have a friendly talk with the offending server prior to warning him oficially.   
This is a HMO official directive for umpires how to properly deal the service of doubtful legality.      

10.6.3 Whether or not a formal warning is given there is no objection to a player whose service action is only marginally acceptable being advised informally, between rallies, by either the umpire or assistant umpire, that any deterioration could make it illegal.
Contrary to popular belief, a player is not entitled to a warning for a first illegal service, and a clear failure to meet the requirements of the service law should always be penalised by the
award of a point.

10.6.4 The umpire or assistant umpire has no power to ignore an infringement of the service law because he or she does not believe that it gives the server any advantage and there is no justification for overlooking a first offence in the hope that it was a temporary lapse. The offence may be repeated at a critical stage of the match, and a player penalised then could justly protest that he or she had been given no earlier indication that the action was illegal.

Igor Novick
20 year's umpiring experience.
Blade:
Darker Speed90
Rubber Fh and Bh DHS Hurricane 3, 39/38deg

Delusion is an asset
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic