Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Different Quality of Butterfly Blades

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Different Quality of Butterfly Blades
    Posted: 08/27/2006 at 12:42pm
I live in Jakarta, Indonesia. I've found that the butterfly blade sold in Indonesia is not as good as in Singapore for example. I've noticed the quality of sardius blade bought by my friend at singapore is better than in Jakarta. The price in Singapore is more expensive than Jakarta. Is it true? Does butterfly produce its product with different standards like quality A, B or C?
Andro Wanokiwami AO Offensive 83 gr
H3 National Orange 40 deg 2.2
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Sponsored Links

sadius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 3:54pm
What do you mean by the QUALITY. I bought one from VN for 80 buck and play and look good. And also if i buy here in America could cost me for 125. I think they are all the same quality. But maybe your friend blade weight that fit you more than the one you have now. All blade are different in weght plus and minus 5 grams from standard weight. Ex: Sadius is 90 grams
bogeyhunter9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 4:06pm
It's not about where you buy. I believe blades that made in Japan are all A+ quality. I bought in Thailand, made in Japan, quality is A+ grade(a lot cheaper)
Rating : 2000
Hallmark Aurora + TSP Curl P1-R 0.5 mm/Globe 999 blue.
Dr.N Firewall Plus+Globe 999 Red+Destroyer OX/Saviga V OX.
Speed glue long pips..
dunmer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dunmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 4:08pm
BTY blades are of VERY inconsistent quality, there are a lot of examples of faulty blades
Vassily View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vassily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 8:55pm
Blade making is hard due to the variability of the wood.

Most wood uses (other than musical instruments) dont require that much consistency.

So next time you buy a blade, but it yourself or ask a knowledgeable friend to do it for you. Or buy an expensive one such as Violin, Acoustic etc which have more stringent quality checks, hence less variability (but not necessarily better than a lucky cheap blade )
Nittaku Acoustic FL    T05    Acuda S2 2.0mm
mafia View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mafia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 10:14pm
Right now I had 2 Schlager carbon, FL & ST version. I find no different in term on speed and feel, except the ST version is slightly heavier
Maze ST
FH/BH : Palio Era 42.5 Max
haggisv View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Dark Knight

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote haggisv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/27/2006 at 10:32pm

Several of the Butterfly blades are NOT made in Japan anymore...and Butterfly seem to keep that awefully quiet. I don't think that's the problem though... the consistancies of blades among many brands seems to be fading...and chinese blades are becoming better and better quality.

I think it's all about costs cutting and competition. The mass market of the blades is for the beginners and intermediate players, many (probably most) of whom would not be able to tell the difference between a good or bad blade. So why would they spend a lot more money making their blades higher quality and more consistant, when 90% of the customers don't care? It's purely a business decision...it's hard to survive with all the competition around, especially from the chinese manufactures who have so much lower labour costs.

Smart; VS>401, Dtecs OX
Tenergy Alternatives | My TT Articles
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2006 at 9:40am
Hello Sadius, the Quality that I mentioned above is about the wood. The wood of Sardius bought in singapore one piece from the handle to the rim. But What I've found in Jakarta there's a mark at the rim which tells that the blade is made from several piece of wood.
I also noticed that the black carbon line of Sardius blade in Jakarta is thinner than Singapore.
Maybe Butterfly is using scrapped wood to make blades, and sell it with lower price.
In My opinion after Trying most of carbon blade, arylate carbon, I've found that pure wood blades is better for control because it gives me more vibration.
I'm planning to buy Nittaku Blades like Violin or Acoustic. I hope the quality of Nittaku Blades is the same everywhere around the world.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2006 at 11:34am
So what's wrong with your H king? 
Speed glue long pips..
aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2006 at 8:16pm
I bought Aspyte once, and I have the same experience, the center part consists of several pcs of wood. There were 2 blades at the shop and both are the same, so I just took one.Maybe we have to check this before we buy.
Member of the Single Ply Hinoki Club
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

sadius View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sadius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/28/2006 at 9:26pm

Hi Peter79. Sorry to hear that. My Sadius is one piece of wood but at the rim. And i have 2 marks. One on each side but i don't think that effect much on the quality. My other blade Schlager carbon bought here at Butterfly-online (north america) have 2 marks also. I think that is the way they design for the blade but sometime it's visible and sometime is not.

By the way, is your friend blade have the same set up like your's ( i mean the rubber )

powerplay.de View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powerplay.de Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2006 at 7:45am
Everyone knows that only blades sold in Japan and Bty tamca series are made in Japan. Here in europe all mass produced blades are made in Belgium.
powerplay.de View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote powerplay.de Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2006 at 7:46am
sorry double post
ryu seungminfan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2006 at 8:24am

sorry i accidentally press twice. the below one is my opinion

blade:kokutaku super
rubber:xiom omega 3
right hander

nothing without labour

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2006 at 8:24am

Originally posted by dunmer dunmer wrote:

BTY blades are of VERY inconsistent quality, there are a lot of examples of faulty blades

i agree with you very much

right hander

nothing without labour
salsaking View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote salsaking Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2006 at 11:18am
I find that the blades that I have bought are not monoblade construction (1-piece). I have bought Avalox, Stiga OC CR, Butterfly Kumpuru, DHS Wind, and they all have multi-piece cores. The Kumpuru actually had the most pieces!!

I think multi-piece construction is pretty developed in the wood-industry though. However, I'm not sure whether it affects performance or not......

Some of the adhesion points are very very subtle, but that little slit is where the multi-pieces join up. I am surprised it is so hard to come by mono-blade construction though.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogeyhunter9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2006 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by haggisv haggisv wrote:

Several of the Butterfly blades are NOT made in Japan anymore...and Butterfly seem to keep that awefully quiet. I don't think that's the problem though... the consistancies of blades among many brands seems to be fading...and chinese blades are becoming better and better quality.

I think it's all about costs cutting and competition. The mass market of the blades is for the beginners and intermediate players, many (probably most) of whom would not be able to tell the difference between a good or bad blade. So why would they spend a lot more money making their blades higher quality and more consistant, when 90% of the customers don't care? It's purely a business decision...it's hard to survive with all the competition around, especially from the chinese manufactures who have so much lower labour costs.

Agree. I'm sure blades made in China must have a lower quality than blade made in Japan.

So buy only the one made in Japan and you'll get the quality one.

Speed glue long pips..
nplarkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nplarkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/29/2006 at 5:05pm
I don't have much experience with them, but sunflex boasts that the majority of its blades are mono blade construction.  The one I have has a better finish than most other blades I have seen (Stiga, bty, LKT, etc..) And their prices are quite resonable
SUNFLEX Carbon fl/Saviga/Inspirit
Armstrong 1 ply Hinoke/999t and CJ8000 on 2.2 Cannon
peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08/30/2006 at 10:46am
bogeyhunter9, there's nothing wrong with my H king. Made of one piece of Wood. But I must use thinner to peel the rubber, otherwise the wood will be peeled off.
I havent'bought Sardius. I want to for collection, but When I saw the quality is poor, I better buy it in Singapore.
But Does any Singaporean know where to buy Table Tennis equipment in Singapore. I heard from my friend He bought it at Clementy, not a shop but table tennis club.
I'm still searching a perfect combination. My height 185 cm, weight 92 kg. Schalger carbon is too fast, I'm not able to defend against hard smash and topspin. Hurricane King gives me more control, but I must use more energy to spin the ball
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/04/2006 at 9:03pm
Peter79, here is one address:
Ranking Sports and Music
Block 231 Bain Street
# 03-49/51 Bras Basah Complex
Singapore 180231
I have never been there, but my friend goes there everytime he is in Singapore.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/10/2006 at 12:17pm
Thanks for your Information Aeoliah, I've bought tennis racket in Ranking Sports before. It sells all kinds of sporting goods.
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

aeoliah View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aeoliah Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2006 at 2:57am
I bought Schlager Carbon from iruiru, and there are several pieces of wood in the center ply. So I guess it will be just the same whether you buy it in Japan or some other countries.
Viscaria Super ALC C-Pen
Rasanter C48

peter79 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2006 at 7:06am
That's true Aeoliah, Even I can see the marking on the butterfly cataloque. Thanks for your info :)
Baracuda Max
182 Gr

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ryu seungminfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/12/2006 at 10:25am
go to kingdom. maybe have maybe dun have. but they sell quite a lot. the shop only sell tt stuffs. go to kingdompp.com for more information. however. those stuff the put on the website is not everything
right hander

nothing without labour
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2006 at 12:48am
[  must have a lower quality ??

lol i bought a galaxy blade and nittaku(made in china) and they are fine, even the cheap all+ bty blade made in china are ok, prolly bty is selling defective blades
, i once played to a japanese thathe  had a warped tamca wood  cos he wasnt aware when he bought it, that happened in 1992 obvioulsy he went to the store after yelling to the  he got back his $. i guess you must be a japanese

waht it bothers me is that bty deceives cos the blades are manufactured in china but they stamp it "made in japan". off blades are more fragile so they are made in china cos there s a factory that makes blades for others euro brands like tibhar and joola so they  have better machinery....hey my sony dvd burner has a lot of korean parts ,but the box claims made in japan..got it?? kawai   dont u think???
PLLsystem View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PLLsystem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09/13/2006 at 7:16pm
Joola blades are made in Hungary exept the emphasised sweedish ones (Sting, Torre..?) And some Bfly blades also made in Hungary at the same place on the same macines. (Primorac OFF-, Balsa X5, Balsa X3, Grubba Carbon, Kong Linghui)
we make real professional handmade table tennis blades - ospblades.com
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic