Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

tabletennis11.com
Forum Home Forum Home > General > General

What are your 2017 TT New Year's Resolutions?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
speedy View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote speedy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2017 at 9:42pm
On an average, I want to play 4 hours a month and stay at 2150 - 2250 level.  I thought it was impossible, but I have been doing it for the last 4 years.  Let's see if I can do it for the 5th consecutive year. Wish me luck guys!!!

Stiga Clipper CR
Hurricane 3
TSP Spectol
coffeeholic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coffeeholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2017 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by BH-Man BH-Man wrote:

Good chance i will also be in LA area mid Jan 2017 for LULZ and the Chicken/Beer Hustle around the Korean TT Clubs.

Do you have a usual spot in LA? I've always wanted to drop by one but it's a drive to get there. Might be more inclined if I had a better idea of what to expect. Just wanna find a club with all levels and friendly people to practice/play with in the evening hours
Tibhar Samsonov Alpha | Yasaka Rakza 7 | Xiom OmegaIV Euro
Rubbers don't offer control. YOU are the control!
BH-Man View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BH-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/02/2017 at 3:23am
Helps to speak Korean there, but there are all kind of clubs in LA area, I have only visited a few. You could give Westside TTC a go blindly on any given Saturday night for the Round Robin.
Korea Foreign Table Tennis Club
Search for us on Facebook: koreaforeignttc
mycuzinvinny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mycuzinvinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2017 at 2:28pm
1) Play more matches
2) Work on a consistent w henzell tomahawk serve, short serves too
3) Keep the lower back healthy
4) Be proactive with coach on goals, keep the conversation going rather than going through the motions
5) Get to 1800
CraneStyle View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CraneStyle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2017 at 3:29pm
I will spire to:

1) Always be cool and relaxed as Samsanov in matches
2) Lose more weight
3) Get fitter
4) Maintain form in matches
5) Train to up my consistency
6) Maintain focus and intensity (with help from 2 & 3)
7) Trust my set-up. I.E. Stop changing rubbers & quit curiosity about blades, as I now always go back to MJ ZLC. Ok, stop EJing...

Ahhhh... That was quite cathartic...
1. Mizutani Jun ZLC, FH T80, BH T05
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2017 at 3:36pm
better diet; lose weight; control the booze; whine less; play more; break 2k.

rl gear ( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•) feedback
TT newbie View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2017 at 4:42pm
Imagine something more interesting to lie here on Mytt in the beginning of 2018...
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2017 at 8:12pm
Lose weight and get in shape is too obvious so I won't mention itSmile

I'd like to develop at least half the touch I had with the old ball and learn how to keep pushes short and low, block and attack with confidence with all the different types of balls which may used at tournaments.

Use more backhand loop drives as offensive weapons so I don't have to move as much.
fatt View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fatt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/03/2017 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by heavyspin heavyspin wrote:

Lose weight and get in shape is too obvious so I won't mention itSmile

I'd like to develop at least half the touch I had with the old ball and learn how to keep pushes short and low, block and attack with confidence with all the different types of balls which may used at tournaments.

Use more backhand loop drives as offensive weapons so I don't have to move as much.
ditto.

I like plan B(ackhand) just in case. I aspire to be aggressive and consistent on the bh wing for the same reason. Contacting the ball further away from my torso (earlier commitment) is what I dream about.
One observation: a bh oriented grip is amazingly helping to learn the stroke: there is no fiddling with the wrist that snaps in better harmony with the elbow and ball's parameters.
rl gear ( •_•)O¯`·.¸.·´¯`°Q(•_•) feedback
col6628 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote col6628 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 6:49am
-Practice short serves. 
-I must begin to realise I have more time on the ball to take the correct shot.
-Had a problem last year, holding the bat too tight. I've put that to bed this year due to this I'm playing much better.
-Last year I changed the rubbers to Andro Power Grip FH, Andro Grip BH (Both 1.8). Staying on the same rubbers this year, as I've took into consideration in the time taken to get used to the rubbers.
- Practice, practice, practice! I hope to have a smashing year!!!Thumbs Up

kindof99 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kindof99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 10:41am
EJless, EJless, EJless
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by kindof99 kindof99 wrote:

EJless, EJless, EJless

In the 3+ hours since you posted this, how many times have you looked at websites or wondered about a different kind of rubber or blade?
George.Storm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote George.Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 2:55pm
I'd like to carry on playing fairly regularly and actually start to get some form of consistency and improve!
Blade: Ma Lin Extra Offensive (penhold)
FH: Black DHS Hurricane 2 Neo
BH: Red Friendship Focus III Snipe
berndt_mann View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

EJless, EJless, EJless

In the 3+ hours since you posted this, how many times have you looked at websites or wondered about a different kind of rubber or blade?

Overcoming EJ addiction ain't easy.  You gotta quit cold turkey.  It's like alcoholism, smoking, gambling, heroin, cocaine, barbiturates, sex, watching too many episodes of The Walking Dead etc.  You can't go back.  You'll slip back into the quicksand abyss of EJism if you so much as think about one more blade, one more rubber and I'll have the Holy Grail for my game.  

Edited by berndt_mann - 01/05/2017 at 5:06pm
bmann1942
Setup: Mark Bellamy Master Craftsman blade, British Leyland hard rubber
mts388 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mts388 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by berndt_mann berndt_mann wrote:

Originally posted by mts388 mts388 wrote:

EJless, EJless, EJless

Overcoming EJ addiction ain't easy.  You gotta quit cold turkey.  It's like alcoholism, smoking, gambling, heroin, cocaine, barbiturates, sex, watching too many episodes of The Walking Dead etc.  You can't go back.  You'll slip back into the quicksand abyss of EJism if you so much as think about one more blade, one more rubber and I'll have the Holy Grail for my game.  

I didn't know sex was an addiction.  Maybe you're too old to remember (or you just forgot).  I won't pry for details.  RIP Berndt.
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 8:16pm
(mts388)  I didn't know sex was an addiction.  Maybe you're too old to remember (or you just forgot).  I won't pry for details.  RIP Berndt.

Sex can indeed be an addiction.  Have you never heard of nymphomania or phallocentrism?  (Probably not the latter, since I just made it up).  Check out www.sexhelp.com.

Sex has been the main topic of many a great limerick, poem, and dirty ditty, from the time of Sappho of Lesbos (the first Lesbian?) to the rollicking The Bastard King of England and The Ball of Kerriemuir.

Thanks to antidepressants whose side effects include a (how can I say this without going into detail?) there has been a dissipation of effectiveness below the waterline.  This does not mean, however, that one cannot be a sexual artiste above the waist.  It just takes practice, plus a little help from the Kama Sutra, Ovid, the memoirs of Casanova, and Frank Harris' My Life and Loves.

INC, (Illegitimi Non Carborundum), Mike.  Don't let the bastards grind you down.

Well French fry my catfish.  Apparently I didn't make up the word phallocentrism.  It can be found on Wikipedia, and as we know, those phallocentrists are never wrong.  Maybe old age has robbed me of my phallocentricity.

Edited by berndt_mann - 01/05/2017 at 9:54pm
bmann1942
blahness View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote blahness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 9:14pm
Haha my goals are to continue developing my BH game, including my BH push, loop and Chiquita flip and am hoping to make my BH more dangerous than my FH.
-------
Tacky rubber lover :)

Stiga Clipper CR

FH: Hurricane 8
BH: Hurricane 8
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote berndt_mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 9:28pm
I have but one table tennis goal for 2017: to become the most dangerous left handed 75-year-old classic hardbat player this dust bowl known as southwest Tucson has ever seen or is likely to see.
bmann1942
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2017 at 11:03am
I'm adding two more goals. 
1) Learn to apply a wrap around my ankles that feels best for competitive TT.
2) Lose enough weight so I can reach my ankles.
vinox27 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vinox27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2017 at 12:47am
Pay more coaching hours. To minimized being an EJ.
Crowsfeather View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Crowsfeather Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2017 at 7:44am
More footwork, more consistency,more practive, losing weight. Get back to competitive play.
I'm no longer an EJ and I'm proud .
beeray1 View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beeray1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2017 at 12:07am
Definitely to continue dropping weight. I dropped about 40lbs in 2016. Started to even off a bit after I started power lifting more. I'm going to start cutting soon though. I don't have a number goal in mind, just a goal for how I feel and move when playing. Really just get to where my right knee isn't bugging me.  

I hate the idea of putting a rating goal out there, but I've been playing very well the last few months due to the practice I've been trying to put in. I'm currently a bit over 1750. While I didn't hit my 1800 goal last year, I definitely think I can break 1900 this year if I keep up what I'm doing. 2000 would be quite optimistic, but we'll see. It won't happen if I don't continue to play tournaments regularly. Baby steps first. 

Oh also, keep with the equipment I've been using. I've been loving it, and don't have any intention to really switch. 
Offensive S ST
Fastarc G-1
Vega Japan
heavyspin View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heavyspin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/11/2017 at 10:53am
Originally posted by beeray1 beeray1 wrote:

Definitely to continue dropping weight. I dropped about 40lbs in 2016. Started to even off a bit after I started power lifting more. I'm going to start cutting soon though. I don't have a number goal in mind, just a goal for how I feel and move when playing. Really just get to where my right knee isn't bugging me.  

Did you find power lifting stopped table tennis progress as well as weight loss? I don't do power lifting, but I discovered a gym where a fitness/strength competition occurs about 4 times per year. Out of practice, I tried the bench 2 years ago and came in 6th. I subsequently strength trained regularly to get my old lifting form from 30 years ago and won 1st in both bench and incline press last summer. My tt rating, however, took a dive. I thought that was due to limited play (approx once per week). However, still with infrequent TT practice, I've recently slacked off the lifting, and now feel my TT game is on the rise.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic