Alex Table Tennis - MyTableTennis.NET Homepage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why Clipper and P700 for short pimples?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bilbo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bilbo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why Clipper and P700 for short pimples?
    Posted: 01/08/2017 at 1:03pm
I just started experimenting with the new Stiga Celero Wood (only had one practise with it), it seems to have similar speed as Clipper but better feel.
Stiga Optimum Sync
FH: Victas VO>103
BH: der Materialspezialist Breakout 2.0
Lefty
Sponsored Links

ronakvyas86 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ronakvyas86 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/08/2017 at 12:42am
I'm currently using spinlord keiler for rpb on donic ovtcharov carbospeed which is a 5 ply 7mm hinoki carbon blade. I find it much better and tons faster than clipper.
Yasaka Goiabao 5 CPEN, Donic Baracuda MAX FH & RPB
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2017 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by ChichoFicho ChichoFicho wrote:

Most new Clipper CR are also too soft for pips as the top ply has become thicker.  To me Galaxy T11 is easily one of the best blades for the new rubbish ball. 

the problem is finding a true replacement to a good
clipper
Soundoff88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soundoff88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2017 at 11:16am

Most new Clipper CR are also too soft for pips as the top ply has become thicker.  To me Galaxy T11 is easily one ofS the best blades for the new rubbish ball. 

T11 or T11+ for pips?
ChichoFicho View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2017 at 9:30am
Most new Clipper CR are also too soft for pips as the top ply has become thicker.  To me Galaxy T11 is easily one of the best blades for the new rubbish ball. 
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
jp_montoya View Drop Down
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp_montoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2017 at 9:28am
Thanks a lot for that information!
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/07/2017 at 8:29am
It takes a long time to get used to 7 ply all wood blades. If you are coming from composite then it takes even longer. All wood blade does not have the bounce of the composite, so you need to put in power, but when you put in power it starts to go fast, so the control is tricky. Players who switch from composite to 7 ply all wood have same dull impression, until they adjust the timing a little to excelerate earlier.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp_montoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/06/2017 at 4:43am
Ok, i understand after your comments that the difference between Clipper and old Stiga offensive blades from the 80-'s is the stiffnes, am i right? What about the speed?
Baal View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 7:34am
Originally posted by Victor_the_cleaner Victor_the_cleaner wrote:

clipper is stiff, but not hard. Limba surface. Its probably the softest surface after hinoki. The stiffness comes from the transposed 7 plies. I wonder if I got a bad apple, or had played with carbon too much, but my clipper had horrible control, even with Rhyzm. Fast, soft bouncy, blurry (or whatever is the opposite of sharp feel). In my opinion it can't compete with carbon blades in terms of control, not in terms of speed. I have a chopping carbon blade. There are many types of carbon, carbon does not automatically mean speed. But carbon automatically means control, because it is synthetic and much more homogeneous that natural wood.

Yes, I have not liked about 90% of the clippers I have tried, but my friend has a really good one.  My guess is good apples exist and are hard to find.
Victor_the_cleaner View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Victor_the_cleaner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 1:56am
clipper is stiff, but not hard. Limba surface. Its probably the softest surface after hinoki. The stiffness comes from the transposed 7 plies. I wonder if I got a bad apple, or had played with carbon too much, but my clipper had horrible control, even with Rhyzm. Fast, soft bouncy, blurry (or whatever is the opposite of sharp feel). In my opinion it can't compete with carbon blades in terms of control, not in terms of speed. I have a chopping carbon blade. There are many types of carbon, carbon does not automatically mean speed. But carbon automatically means control, because it is synthetic and much more homogeneous that natural wood.
bbkon View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bbkon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/05/2017 at 1:16am
Originally posted by TT newbie TT newbie wrote:

Originally posted by Johnny Erasure Johnny Erasure wrote:

If the Clipper it's too slow for 40+ ball what blade it's better for sp?

No way Clipper is too slow for 40+ balls. Absolutely no way. I say it´s still one of the fastest combos one can match with SP.
If you want slower blades that can match SP you go to Persson Powerplay, Ludeack ou Septear. Notice I´m listing only 7-ply blades, which imo, are the best matches for SP.

there are 2 cnt players with short pips and clipper
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 2:12pm
You cannot play a fast attacking style with Clipper and the new ball. Clipper CR and CC are better. TSP Hino Carbon and Primorac Carbon work well with short pips.

Edited by ChichoFicho - 01/07/2017 at 9:23am
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
suds79 View Drop Down
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suds79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 1:36pm

Clipper is too slow for the 40+ rubbish ball.

That's too hard to claim. Need to know what rubber you're pairing with it. How thick is the sponge?

For example right now I'm using a Clipper Classic with 802-40 on a Air super soft 30 deg sponge 2.0 thickness I got from Cole. I've liked it for a long time but feel I would like something a pinch faster.

Note I'm not claiming that the Clipper is too slow. It's on a 30 deg sponge after all. That's butter soft. I'm sure I would see a difference if say I went to a harder sponged pip or even something that's tuned.

Currently trying to decide if I'm going to go the new TSP Spectol Red or the tuned Haifu Dolphin.

Anybody have some experience with these two or opinions?

Edited by suds79 - 01/04/2017 at 1:37pm
TT newbie View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TT newbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Johnny Erasure Johnny Erasure wrote:

No way Clipper is too slow for 40+ balls. Absolutely no way. I say it´s still one of the fastest combos one can match with SP.
If you want slower blades that can match SP you go to Persson Powerplay, Ludeack ou Septear. Notice I´m listing only 7-ply blades, which imo, are the best matches for SP.
Beginner
Beginner

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jp_montoya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/04/2017 at 10:32am
What is the difference between Stiga Clipper and old Stiga offensive blades from 80's and which one is faster?
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2017 at 8:29pm
I use a Schlager Carbon with DHS 651 on the backhand 1.8mm. I feel i have lots of control with it for such a fast blade. However, i have also used clipper and i feel its fast enough for players and it has good ball feeling and control. I can see why people use it until this day, even tho with new blades coming out. 

Edited by bokai - 01/01/2017 at 8:33pm
Johnny Erasure View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Johnny Erasure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2017 at 2:47pm
Blade: JM ZLC
Rubbers: FH Dignics 09C
            BH Dignics 05
Feedback: http://mytabletennis.net/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=63937&KW=Johnny+Erasure&PID=764628&title=feedback-for-j
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChichoFicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2017 at 2:20pm
Clipper is too slow for the 40+ rubbish ball.
Darker Speed 70

Hammond FA Speed

Tyotokusen
mhnh007 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mhnh007 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01/01/2017 at 9:23am
For sp you need blade that can deliver power when you drive the ball, but not too fast, as you have very little control due to the lack of grip.
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2016 at 10:04pm
I see I see, Thank you! 
rickywinataa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickywinataa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2016 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by bokai bokai wrote:

Ah right! so now with the 40+ ball, wat do u think the blade of choice would be in nowadays?

Clipper is still a very sensible choice even with 40+. It's still a blade that's fast enough for professional to use and you could see how some of them look for a closer to all-wood feel from carbon blade, like HL5, LSW, Innerforce ZLC
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2016 at 8:57pm
Ah right! so now with the 40+ ball, wat do u think the blade of choice would be in nowadays?
zeio View Drop Down
Premier Member
Premier Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote zeio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2016 at 8:50pm
Back in the 38mm days(roughly late 80s to mid 90s), those two, especially the P700, were among the stiffest all-wood blades you could get. Carbon blades back then lacked the feel. With speed glue, all-wood blades could perform nearly as well with the added benefits of feel. It has kind of become a tradition and standard.

Edited by zeio - 12/31/2016 at 8:56pm
Viscaria FL - 91g
+ Neo H3 2.15 Blk - 44.5g(55.3g uncut bare)
+ Hexer HD 2.1 Red - 49.3g(68.5g 〃 〃)
= 184.8g
bokai View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bokai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12/31/2016 at 8:47pm
Hi Guys,

A question that has always remained a mystery to me is:

Why do majority of pros and even amateurs use stiga clipper for short pimples on the backhand? I understand its got quite a hard surface but not as hard as some butterfly carbon blades, say schlager carbon or sardius. Can someone please provide me with a detailed answer?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic